Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Matt D
Topic Author

Fridays Very Stupid Thread: Parking Spaces

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:30 pm

This is something that for years, I have never understood: The eternal quest for the close parking space.

Surely you've all seen them. You'll be in a parking lot somewhere, as often as not, only half or so full. But scores of cars (usually SUV's) are circling around in circles like planes in a holding pattern.

Why?

Because they just have to have that "closest" parking spot. These folks don't want to have to walk more than three paces to get to the entrance of wherever they're at. I've asked several people over the years why they engage in this activity, and the answers are always the same: "I'm in a hurry...".."I want to save time"..."I'm afraid of getting mugged..."

Now the first two make no sense whatsoever. To me in this instance, 'being in a hurry', what they REALLY mean is that they are just lazy. Not to mention not really thinking things through. If they were really in a hurry, they would grab the first open spot they see and go about their business. I've entered parking lots while there were people circling like vultures waiting for a spot. Sometimes, people will back up two, three, or four cars deep if they see someone who has a "prime" spot getting in and looking like they are ready to leave. I'll just pass them up, grab any one of the scores of vacant spots (maybe an additional 75' further away), and I will beat these people to the front door.

Every single time.

Kinda blows a big hole in the time saving theory doesn't it? Sure, they may have the closer spot. But I still beat them to the door. And I will probably beat them to the checkout line. And I will probably beat them back to the car.

This pointless activity reaches the pinnacle of absurdity at the health clubs. For a nation that claims to be obsessed with health, exercise, and fitness, why would someone waste gas, get their nerves all riled up and so on-to save a twenty second walk on their way to swim laps, jog on a track, and lift weights for Gods sake?

Go down to any one of your local Bally's or 24Hour Fitness clubs any time, day or night, and there will be people driving around in circles eyeing the closest two rows of parking spots waiting for one to open up while dozens of perfectly paved (and lit) parking spaces sit forlorn, empty, and abandoned just 50 paces away.

I don't get it.

Now let's look at the last excuse: "I'm afraid of getting mugged".

Ok I could see that as being a legitimate concerne if you work until midnight and have to either park in a 7 level garage or you work in South Central LA. It makes sense to want to minimize your walking distance under those circumstances.

But I just don't see that as being a legitimate concern if you are talking about Albertsons Market or Wal Mart on a Saturday afternoon in suburban America. And I'd have a real hard time thinking that a 35 year old man who has been a weight lifter since he was three worrying about his safety in a Ballys Gym parking lot on Friday morning at 6AM.

But I've seen said type of person just the same...driving his Ford F-650 around and and around in circles...waiting for the "right" spot to open up.

At least I don't have to worry about door dings. I don't have any. Probably never will have any.

why?

Because where I normally park, there isn't another car for at least a 30 foot radius.

Aviation

RE: Fridays Very Stupid Thread: Parking Spaces

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:33 pm

I have no idea I guess people these days are just lazy!

Thanks,
Aaron J Nicoli
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

VSlover

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:59 pm

i agree again with all you said.

i dont even waste time looking for a space, i simply go to "the end" where there are loads of spaces and park it. an extra 100 ft of walking isnt going to kill me.

BTW, i got on the elevator this am and had to stop at 2, then someone got on at 3 and off at 5, 6,8, and finally me at 10. I WAS NOT PLEASED.

cornish

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:04 am

Over here there's no point looking for the closest parking spot. They're miles away from the shops thanks to those super large mother and children parking spaces that have popped up and are seemingly taking over half of every car park.

The spaces are double the size of the normal ones as they need to be that big for the school run mum to fit her SUV in without hitting anyone else  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

707CMF

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:06 am

That's why I always (well, almost always  Wink ) park on "only for disabled people" parkin spots. They are the ones closest to the shop, and there are (almost) always a few available without having to wait for too long.

Cheers,

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:15 am

I park as far from the door as possible . . . and usually occupy two spaces . . . to keep some moron from bumping the BAFDT with the door to their POS.

At home, well, it's underground parking - wide spots - in a secure garage.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ManuCH

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 4):
That's why I always (well, almost always Wink ) park on "only for disabled people" parkin spots

I hope this wasn't serious. What if a disabled person really needs the spot?

Anyway, I always park as far away from the entrace as I can. To avoid door dings. And it works.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

purpleheepster

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:38 am

When B&Q opened a superstore in my area I discovered that you have to be careful about where you park. Parking as close to the store entrance does you no good at all because they have placed the store exit at the opposite end of the building!

So what do I do? Park as close to the exit as I can of course!

RedDragon

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:17 am

How bizarre... it doesn't surprise me that no-one from outside the USA has heard of this.

707CMF, tut tut if you don't need the disabled space. (Note my lack of assumption Big grin)

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
The spaces are double the size of the normal ones as they need to be that big for the school run mum to fit her SUV in without hitting anyone else  Wink

...And even then they generally fail to park with any pretense of trying to fit within the space.

Methinks all large cars should require a basic driving and parking skills test before they can be sold, for all named drivers...

CaptOveur

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
I park as far from the door as possible . . . and usually occupy two spaces . . . to keep some moron from bumping the BAFDT with the door to their POS.

I drive a POS.. when I observe this behavior I park next to the vehicle, not to bump the door, but to show the owner I think he was being an ass, especially in a crammed lot.. Last time I did this it was putting my 88 caprice right next to a Lambo Murcialago... I wish I had my camera. Also, I wish I had a camera to see the owners reaction when he got out there.

There are advantages to driving a POS.. If someone does something horrible to it, I don't really care.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

RedDragon

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:32 am

Speaking of POSs, what's a BAFDT?

CaptOveur

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 10):
BAFDT

Big Ass Ford Diesel Truck

It is the official truck of Texas, and apparently Alaska.

RedDragon

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:41 am

Ahaaa.

Isn't the petrol version the official "car" of every other state?  Smile

cornish

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 12):
Isn't the petrol version the official "car" of every other state?

Except in California where it is now the Hybrid Big Ass Truck  Silly
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

CaptOveur

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 12):
Isn't the petrol version the official "car" of every other state?

That would be the Chevy Suburban with nothing smaller than a 350cu in gas engine.

I think they come with a cell phone for the driver to glue to their ear.

DrDeke

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:05 am

A close parking space? Are you kidding? At work I pay about $500 a year for a parking permit, and all I hope is that I can park in one of the lots within a half mile of my building as opposed to the lot that is 2 miles away!

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

CaptOveur

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:23 am

Where I go to school they charge about $140 a semester for a parking pass.. and if you get there after 9am you will NOT find a space on campus..

I don't pay them a damn dime, I park down the street and take a 5 minute bus ride to school.

nonrevman

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:15 am

It is pretty bad to observe this most illogical behavior in the parking lot, but there is one thing that is worse. Imagine being the passenger in a car where the driver insists on circling around for the prime spot while your only goal in life is to get in the store and get it over with so you can go back home.

Alessandro

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone considered the Delorean or Peugeot 1007 because they´re lousy at
parking?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

noelg

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:26 am

Quoting Purpleheepster (Reply 7):
When B&Q opened a superstore in my area I discovered that you have to be careful about where you park. Parking as close to the store entrance does you no good at all because they have placed the store exit at the opposite end of the building!

Lol exactly the same happens here - cars crowded around the entrance but nobody near the exit. People come out laden with cupboard doors and gubbins and then still have to walk the entire length of the car park to get to their cars!

People don't seem to think about when they leave the store!

It winds me up when I go to ASDA and everybody queues for a space within 2 rows of the doors. I head straight to the opposite end of the car park. Not only is it a nice bit of fresh air to walk on a nice day, but it is always quicker and saves any stress queuing for a space!

TedTAce

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:49 am

Why burn calories when you can burn gas?

Signed,

The Oil lobby
This space intentionally left blank

ScarletHarlot

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Matt D (Thread starter):
Because where I normally park, there isn't another car for at least a 30 foot radius.

Oh crap. Now Matt D and I agree on two things...cats and parking spots.

I HATE fat asses who troll for parking spots. Go park over there where there are plenty of spots and walk...your lazy arse could probably use it.

I also don't want to park near anybody. I want people to stay the hell away from my car. I don't want your giant SUV doors dinging my car. I don't want your children's snotty handprints on my car.

Now I do admit that if I see a cool car parked out by itself, I'll sometimes go park next to it. I usually only do this in the Mercedes because if I park a nine year old Integra next to a cool car I suspect the cool car person just thinks I'm being an ass. I figure that someone who cares about their car like I do is okay to park next to - and when they see the CLK next to them, they'll feel the same way.
But that was when I ruled the world

Springbok747

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:32 am

Yeah, some idiots spend so much time looking for parking spaces. I always park some distance away from the main entrance to the mall, as they're relatively empty. I hate parking close to other cars and big ass SUVs....especially when they're driven by moms with little brats. They have no f*ckin idea how to drive those things, and things are worsened by the fact that there are 2-3 hungry, screaming kids in the back.

At University we have reserved parking spaces (thank God for that!) - but it costs $100 a semester...pretty expensive, but worth it.
אני תומך בישראל

ltbewr

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:54 am

I will try my luck with a closer parking space, but if it doesn't happen, then I will go to the area were there are spaces available. Sometimes, like during Christmas shopping days at the mall or Saturdays at the WalMart, you may have a long walk. I love it when see people walking away from the store in the lot, and cars follow them for the spot they are about to depart from. I like it when I am driving with my mom. She has bad knees (one was replaced) so has difficulty walking long distances, so qualifies for the Handicapped spaces and always carries here pass and permit at all times (in her purse). Came in handy at the Home Depot today when I picked up (with her to pay) and new storm door for the rear door.

ACDC8

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
to keep some moron from bumping the BAFDT with the door to their POS.

Sorry, but what exactly is the difference between a BAFDT and a POS? (  laughing  )

I know a few people that will drive in circles for 30 minutes just so they can get a spot that's 10 meters closer. Totally lazy!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

JAGflyer

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:04 am

People who leave carts in the EMPTY spaces beside your car. For fucks sake, people want to park there. Plus the carts sometimes roll into peoples' cars. This happened to my mom. The pavement had slopes so when some lazy ass left a cart in the open it rolled down the slope, into her car. Long story short the stored ended up paying for the $600 repair bill to fix her front fender/door. I always yell at these people when I see them leave the carts anywhere but in the special cart "sheds".
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ACDC8

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:07 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 25):
always yell at these people when I see them leave the carts anywhere but in the special cart "sheds".

I always go after the carts, return them and snag the quarter! Yes, my life is that boring. They should make the carts take a loonie instead (like in Germany with a 1 Euro) piece. Betcha more people would return their carts.

Springbok747

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:15 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 25):
People who leave carts in the EMPTY spaces beside your car.

Ah..don't even get me started on that! The local mall parking is full of such empty carts, strewn all around the parking lot....f*cking lazy idiots. One of those loose carts rolled and busted a light on my old car a couple of years ago...cost me 150 bucks  irked 

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 26):
I always go after the carts, return them and snag the quarter!

Wish I could do that...at least I'd earn some money. The carts here are free...so bloody annoying.
אני תומך בישראל

Cactus739

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:42 pm

We have a saying here in Phoenix.....

The best parking spots aren't determined by distance, they are determined by shade....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

baylorairbear

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 20):
Why burn calories when you can burn gas?

Signed,

that really should ve signed by Ted

thanks to those super large mother and children parking spaces that have popped up and are seemingly taking over half of every car park.

can yoyu tell mw a little more avout those? that;s something i havent heatrd about

thanks,
BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 9):

That's why I said I park as far from the door as possible. I don't want to inconvenience others because I take up two spots . . . and, with the possible exception of yourself trying to "out-prick" me, I've never had anyone park next to me, with a POS, and take pictures.  wink 

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):
Sorry, but what exactly is the difference between a BAFDT and a POS?

irked  wink 

Very funny!  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

nonrevman

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:35 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 29):
thanks to those super large mother and children parking spaces that have popped up and are seemingly taking over half of every car park.

can yoyu tell mw a little more avout those? that;s something i havent heatrd about

They are not too far from you. The Walmarts up here in Hurst/Fort Worth now have a lot of spaces dedicated for larger vehicles, and they are near the front similar to the handicapped spots. The also are not parallel with all of the other spots. Rather, they are perpendicular and take up a whole lot of space. I think they were meant for large SUV's but you will see all kinds of vehicles parked there.

ACDC8

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):
Sorry, but what exactly is the difference between a BAFDT and a POS?

Very funny!

What can I say, it's been a boring weekend so far ....  Wink

707CMF

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:40 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 8):
707CMF, tut tut if you don't need the disabled space. (Note my lack of assumption )

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 6):
Quoting 707CMF (Reply 4):
That's why I always (well, almost always Wink ) park on "only for disabled people" parkin spots

I hope this wasn't serious. What if a disabled person really needs the spot?

Well, this was actually serious. What if a disabled person really needs the spot ? Well, there is already a disabled person on the spot.

RedDragon, thanks for your lack of assumption  Wink I personnally do not need the spot. I should have precised that when I park my car there, it is because I indeed have a disabled person onboard. I.e. most of the time as it is my girlfriend  Wink

I however try to be cautious at this, if we are several 'disabled cars' (like yesterday, we were with a wheelchair friend), the parking spots are distributed according to disability.

Cheers,

cornish

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:11 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 31):
Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 29):

They are not too far from you. The Walmarts up here in Hurst/Fort Worth now have a lot of spaces dedicated for larger vehicles, and they are near the front similar to the handicapped spots. The also are not parallel with all of the other spots. Rather, they are perpendicular and take up a whole lot of space. I think they were meant for large SUV's but you will see all kinds of vehicles parked there.

no actually that's not what i meant. here in the UK they seem to have the huge spaces with a picture of mother and child painted in them - they are "family" spaces with lots more room either side like disabled spots to help a mum shift around her shopping or kids into wherever she wants to put them in the vehicle. but as most of the mums parking in there have big SUVs or people carriers, they fill up all the space anyway....

swisskloten

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:20 am

Finally, I've heard of others who do NOT park as close as possible to the store. I sometimes deliberately park as FAR away as I can so that the stupid shopping carts won't hit my car. It doesn't annoy me having to walk an extra 10 meters to get to the entrance. Another peeve: why do people not notice that they sometimes walk farther from a covered multi-level parking lot than from a single-level parking lot but don't raise a hissy fit? I don't get it.

RedDragon

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Re. 707CMF: on the subject of disabled spaces, and parent-and-child spaces for that matter, it often amazes me just how much space both categories of driver (if you will) require. My cousin's wife requires a wheelchair, and their 13-month-old daughter obviously requires all manner of baby stuff... They drive a Renault Grand Scénic (the standard Scénic simply wasn't big enough) and, although there's only the three of them, whenever they go out the car is packed full  Wow! There's no way they could manage with a normal supermarket-style space...

Rich