Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vafi88
Topic Author

People With Gas Guzzling SUVs - Help Is Here!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:31 am

Hey guys! I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.0 I6, and used to get 14 mpg, I made arrangements and plans to slightly up that crappy milage.

I derived a plan to get a K&N filter (not the intake, just filter), open up my exhaust more (just lower half), and possibly get a cheap chip from college engineers (they're not programmers, they're just chips about 15$)

This total would come out to approximately 150$

I'm finished with step 1 - I got the filter, I was driving last night and was getting a good 17 mpg throughout the night (city driving).

My friend has a v8 durango with 13 mpg, he did the intake, and the exhaust only and is now getting 19-20 in city.

So be smart guys, invest some money into your truck/suv, it'll save you money on gas in the long run (about 4-5 months for me-calculated)

Also, if you are planning to sell your car in a few years - it will sell quicker and for more money because once you put that you're getting 20mpg in a V8 durango, people like the size, capability, and the fact that it's not a a gas guzzler.

Think about it.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

LeanOfPeak

RE: People With Gas Guzzling SUVs - Help Is Here!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:13 pm

If you're showing a 50% improvement (Or even 25%) in mileage from an air filter and a muffler, I'm afraid I'd have to say there's something grievously wrong with the testing methodology.

DLKAPA

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:16 pm

This is just an air filter right? How much and where can I hook myself up with one?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

NWA742

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Quoting Vafi88 (Thread starter):
My friend has a v8 durango with 13 mpg, he did the intake, and the exhaust only and is now getting 19-20 in city.

Sorry, but there's no way in hell that is right. Simple intake and exhaust modifications will not increase the gas mileage of any vehicle by 35-50%. No way in hell.

Hell I drove a 1998 Durango with the 318 V8 for a year. Stock, it got 11-13 in the city, and 16-17 on the HW.

I put an aftermarket intake on her to help her breath, and pure dual exhaust, and it increased the low-end torque a little. Gas mileage was a little better, by 1-2 mpg in both the city and the HW.

Your friend is way off in his calculations, or he's flat out lieing.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

aer lingus

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:42 pm

Would changing the exhaust increases torque?

I have tried a number of stuff to increase the performance slightly but all I get is faster acceleration. But the car has absolutely no power at all when going out of a junction. The K&N made the car accelerate slightly faster and reduces the fuel consumption slightly. But the car just crawls off the junction @ 3000-3500 rpm on first gear at around 10mph. If I shift to second before 2500 rpm the car also crawls unless I shift at 4000 rpm (about 15mph) which is quite smooth and I have wasted loads of fuel. Shifting between 2500-3500 rpm is very rough as the car always jerks harshly even if you release the clutch slowly.

To make things easier I have the specs of the car.
1.6 VVT 16 Valve DOHC Fwd 110 Bhp @ 5800rpm 147 Nm torque @ 4000rpm

I really need help!
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?