Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ibhayi
Topic Author

Pirelli Or Michelin Tyres Which Would You Choose?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:36 pm

Im in the process of deciding on new car tyres, it is eather a Pirelli or a Michelin I can't decide which one, the price difference is the same.

I cant decide the man at the shop os fronting the Michelin yet I have always had a bias towards Pirelli, which would you guys take?
fat girls give the best head because they're hungry

gordonsmall

RE: Pirelli Or Michelin Tyres Which Would You Choose?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Well, I tried Michelin pilot tyres on a recent track day, and despite being farily cheap they were fantastic, expecially in the wet.

To be honest though I almost always go for Yokohama.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

jush

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:57 pm

I would always choose Pirelli but it isn't grown on facts.
Just a dislike of michelin ind general

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:09 pm

I :
a) always specify Michelins on my new vehicles
b) always purchase Michelins when changing tyres

Look up any unbiased tire test/review and you'll see that their products, while pricey, are generally better than most.

If you don't like them you can always go for BFGoodrich  Wink

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

looneytoon

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:20 am

Well what car is it for?

We had Pirelli P6000 on our Subaru Outback while living in Pretoria. They were excellent tires. They were good for the mostly highway driving and did pretty good all the times we went to Kruger Park and other game ranches.

We always buy Pirellis.
LooneyToon

Ibhayi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:03 am

I choose the Michelin, why I dont quite know yet.

Although I have always been biased towards Pirelli but the guy at the shop was telling me how fantastic the Michelin is. Supposed the water displacement as the only Pirelli in my size wasnt the best for water displacement swayed my decision.

They are going nicely, a bit of a different ride but ok, nice grip over the Bridgestone's I had, im a Ferrari fan ok.
Going round bends substantially faster than with my bridgestones.

trident3

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:24 am

i have always found that Michelins wear very well, but for your average saloon car, in normal conditions it doesn't make any difference. Similar specs will perform the same.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

N1120A

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 1):
Well, I tried Michelin pilot tyres on a recent track day, and despite being farily cheap they were fantastic

Michelin Pilots are some of the most expensive tires out there. I have seen a $100 difference per tire on the Pilot Sport over the P-Zero

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 1):
To be honest though I almost always go for Yokohama.

Yokohama makes some good tires for go fast, but are crap in the wet and wear incredibly quickly

Personally, I would chose Pirelli over Michelin, but both make excellent tires.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

cptkrell

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:48 am

Depends on design-intent. What kind of performance are you looking for? What type/weight vehicle? Answer all of your criterea, make an educated study of product availability and weigh your price range. It's pretty difficult (if not impossible) to make a blanket-judgement brand choice. Regards...jack
all best; jack

TSV

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:48 am

Michelin made a brilliant 265/75 R16 LTX AT for 4x4s but unfortunately discontinued it a year or so ago which is a real bummer as mine are coming up for replacement after doing over 105 000 k on and off road. B F Goodrichs were initially recommended as a replacement as they were supposed to be made in the same factory however that recommendation has now been withdrawn owing to an increasing number of carcass failures.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

halls120

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Michelin Pilots.

Finally took off the crappy OE Bridgestones off my Acura TL, and the difference has been incredible.

Yes, they are expensive, but so far, I'd say worth every penny.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jetBlue

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:56 pm

I recently got the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S for my Civic. They are wonderful and the ride is quieter, the handling is noticeably better. The original equipent were Firestone FR690, and the Michelins are far superior.

I, too, was debating over Pirelli, but have been very satisfied with Michelin.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

Ibhayi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:52 pm

They havnt given me the performance I desired in the wet, slid going round a bend and wasnt going past and I drive a 4 X 4, well truck as the americans say and there was no weight int he load box and so it slide.

racko

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:06 am

Go for Pirelli, Good Year or Continental. I had Michelin winter tyres last year and they were crap.

swisskloten

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:41 am

Since Michelin pussied out of the US GP and destroyed the future of F1 in the US, I'd feel an uncontrollable urge to slash every car with Michelin tires. Goodyear may suck but at least they held on until the end. Michelin can't even prep for a GP so they suck even more!

zeekiel

RE: Pirelli Or Michelin Tyres Which Would You Choo

Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:54 am

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza's on my BMW 330Ci. The car isn't really mine, I just drive it because it belongs to family members in my house.

Great set of tyres with nice grip and wet handling. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Cheers

Zeekiel
Bring back the New Zealand Air Combat Force

andz

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:16 pm

I have OEM Bridgestone ER33 Turanzas on my BMW and they are great, wet and dry grip is good and after 35,000km they still look pretty new, unlike the crappy OEM Continentals on my previous one which were making so much noise at 25,000km that I thought the car had run a wheel bearing. Afrer a big fight with BMW and Conti I replaced them with Bridgestones that were still looking good when I sold the car at almost 80,000km.

Bridgestone Battlax BT010 on my bike.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

whitehatter

Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Got Yokohama tyres on mine at the moment, they seem all right but it's early yet. They look nice anyway  Smile

I have a feeling they might be wearing a little faster than the Firestones my last heap had.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

halls120

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting Zeekiel (Reply 15):
I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza's on my BMW 330Ci. The car isn't really mine, I just drive it because it belongs to family members in my house.

Great set of tyres with nice grip and wet handling. Nothing wrong with them at all.

While I've had excellent luck with other Bridgestones in the past, the EL42 Potenzas that came on my Acura TL were pieces of crap. No wet traction. noisy, and wore out quickly. Acura has recognized their mistakes, and are putting Michelin's on the 2006 model.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

acho

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:03 am

With my Renault Megane I had three options; Michelin, Good Year or Continental. I went with Continental as they were high speed tires with great water displacement. I live in Monterrey, were when it rains the roads become an ice skating ring; its like driving in the snow.

My Continentals have served very well, although they are only 2,000 km olds.

mham001

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:40 am

Depends on your tire size, the particular tire brand model, etc. Lots of variables. Some Bridgestones may be crap, but for my small truck, Duranzas on the front have been very, very good for tire wear and traction, wet and dry. I have found and read that Michelins are way overpriced based on the name. Often, you can do better.
For a good site with plenty of owner feedback in the survey sections, try www.tirerack.com

dl021

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:22 am

Coming from my brother the tire professional (in my town if you want tires on your race car or Ferrari/Maserati/Bentley etc. you see him at Gran Turismo East) the following quote should be memorized:

"Friends don't let friends drive on Pirellis."

I almost always go for Michelins, but to be fair Kumhos and Continentals are good tires. Goodyear is always a decent tire, but the post asked to differentiate between M and P.

So, Michelin.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

drewfly

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:01 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 20):
I have found and read that Michelins are way overpriced based on the name. Often, you can do better.
For a good site with plenty of owner feedback in the survey sections, try www.tirerack.com

checkmark  An excellent site, and where I get my tires from. My Protege came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s and they were utter crap, I've got Kuhmo's on there now and it's like night and day. Every manufacturer makes good tires and shitty tires, the reviews are really the only way to tell what you are getting.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

gordonsmall

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Michelin Pilots are some of the most expensive tires out there. I have seen a $100 difference per tire on the Pilot Sport over the P-Zero

Sorry buddy, but for serious competition rubber, Michelin pilots are pretty cheap! I rarely spend less than £1500 on a set of tyres for a track day, the pilot sport cup's were stuck on because I got them for pennies (i only paid £150 each for them).

As for your comments about Yokohama, well I'm afraid you obviously don't know what you're talking about! Yokohama make what is generally ragarded as the best wet-weather competition tyre for tarmac rallies - so I think your generalisation was a bit far-fetched! In fact, the only bad Yokohama tyre I've ever tried was the A520.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

aer lingus

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 am

The tyres I have on the car are Dunlop SP300E 195/65/R15H. Two of my previous cars were on Dunlop's tyres and they are not bad. I drove on snow earlier this year up the mountains and it handled well. I managed to get stuck going up a hill because the snow has turned a bit icy. After 2 more attempts I managed to get unstuck and drove up the hill. However there was an unfortunate Ford Focus that I have seen on Pirelli's which the car couldn't reverse back out of a driveway after the driver lost control of the car and skidded down someones driveway. After spending around 20 minutes helping the driver of the Focus to push the Focus out of the driveway. The Focus just wouldn't want to move out and the tyre threads are OK. A couple of years ago I was on my uncle's car with Pirelli's and it was raining. We were going down a slope into a left hand bend and the rear of the car just lost contact and the car drifted over the opposite side of the road. Thankfully there wasn't any car coming up from the opposite of the road.

So I would say that if you have a choice of Pirelli and Michelin. I have no idea about Michelin tyres and the handling of them. I my own words I say that Dunlop are better than Pirelli. It might not be true but I had experience on them. I would say that you should get Michelin tyres.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?