Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bananaboy
Topic Author

How Long Do You Consider A "long" Drive To Be?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Bizarre. When I was in Australia, I wouldn't have thought twice about driving 6 or 7 hours. A 2 hour drive seemed pretty short.

Now that I am back in the UK, I cringe at the thought of having to drive 2 hours as it seems like a long time to sit in a car.

What do you consider a "long drive?" I would like to know. I wonder if it is in some way related to the size of the country / state that you live?

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

KevinL1011

RE: How Long Do You Consider A "long" Drive To Be?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Thread starter):
What do you consider a "long drive?"

1/4 mile if my mother in law is in the car.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

kbfispotter

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 pm

For me, it would be driving across the US nonstop...
Proud to be an A&P!!!

ANCFlyer

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Well . . . .my friend, a LONG drive is . . .

Washington DC to Anchorage, Alaska . . . some 6400 miles by road . . .

I drove that in 2001 when I retired. I broke it up . . . I had to stop in West Virginia to see a friend, I had to stop in Springfield, Illinois to see a friend, I had to stop in Cheyenne to see a friend . . .

But the Canda Border to Anchorage portion. Well that took three days . . . that's 1700 miles . . . . all I did was stop for essentials.

I have made the Alaska Highway drive a couple of times. Kudos to my Canadian friends for the awesome improvements in the ALCAN. I remember the drive in 1990 . . . the trip throug British Columbia was tortuous . . . when the sign o nthe road said: SLOW 15 mph, you damn well better slow down.

Muncho Lake is still the best . . . but Kluane . . . (Clue -on -EE) is the best. No where mopre beautiful than Kluane . . .

So . . . 6500 miles one way, no a big deal.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Jkw777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:01 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Well . . . .my friend, a LONG drive is . . .

Washington DC to Anchorage, Alaska . . . some 6400 miles by road . . .

I drove that in 2001 when I retired. I broke it up . . . I had to stop in West Virginia to see a friend, I had to stop in Springfield, Illinois to see a friend, I had to stop in Cheyenne to see a friend . . .

But the Canda Border to Anchorage portion. Well that took three days . . . that's 1700 miles . . . . all I did was stop for essentials.

I have made the Alaska Highway drive a couple of times. Kudos to my Canadian friends for the awesome improvements in the ALCAN. I remember the drive in 1990 . . . the trip throug British Columbia was tortuous . . . when the sign o nthe road said: SLOW 15 mph, you damn well better slow down.

Muncho Lake is still the best . . . but Kluane . . . (Clue -on -EE) is the best. No where mopre beautiful than Kluane . . .

So . . . 6500 miles one way, no a big deal.

eek  Sounds like an awesome trip!! Well done!

For me anything over 2-3 hours feels like torture over here in the UK. It depends on who is driving, what car you're in and also what the traffic is like if you ask me!

Cheers,
Justin Big grin
[email protected] or +447751242989

ANCFlyer

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:07 pm

Quoting Jkw777 (Reply 4):
It depends on who is driving, what car you're in and also what the traffic is like if you ask me!

I could spend weeks in the Yukon and Kluane . . . the rich hostory there is awesome . . . the sunrise over Kluane is worth seeing a hundred times over. I've driven the Alaska Highway - in portions - numerous times and Kluane is a favorite . . . I always plan a night stop there.

The Yukon has tremendously rich history . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

cornish

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:20 pm

Depends how I'm feeling and what the traffic is like.

The drive from London back home to see the folks in Cornwall can seem a real quick blast at 4.5 hours, or it can seem a really long drag if I'm tired and have to do it.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

OYRJA

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:22 pm

A long drive for me was when I drove from Rome to Karup Nonstop. DAmn that was a long trip and it was tough as hell Sad

jafa39

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:25 pm

Over 4 1/2 hours is long for me, 3 hours is no biggie, I used to drive London to Fort William Non-stop every winter and once drove London to Brindisi (Southern Italy) with an over night stop in Dijon.

First time in NZ I drove Tauranga to Wellington non-stop in a camper van (8 hours)....silly thing to do whilst jet-lagged...never again!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

KevinL1011

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:31 pm

when the sign o nthe road said: SLOW 15 mph, you damn well better slow down.

Motorist (Shouting) "Twenty six in a 25mph Zone!!! I wanna to speak to your Supervisor!!!"

Police Officer (calmly) "How can I help you Sir?"

Washington DC to Anchorage, Alaska

Whoooooa! When you get outta Dodge......You GIT!
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

bill142

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:44 pm

Well the three hour drive to Sydney is about as boring as the daily 30 minute commute to work. Since long distances are the given thing in this part of the world a long drive would probably be over 6 hours. I did a 10 hour day a few years back driving from Canberra to Queensland. I think I drove for about 7 of those hours.

cornish

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:47 pm

Actually my longest ever drive was Cornwall to Hungary in an old Ford. Thoroughly enjoyed it - especially the Alps  Smile
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Springbok747

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:07 pm

I love long drives. I've driven Adelaide to Sydney and back (about 1300 kms one way). Also driven Adelaide - Canberra and back, and the last time I was in SA, drove Johannesburg - Cape Town and back. Nowadays I regularly drive Adelaide - Renmark (a town on the Murray river, about 300 kms one way). In fact I just got back home after a 290 km drive now.

I consider a long drive to be around 10 hours, anything less is not really long.
אני תומך בישראל

airxliban

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Long drive for me? Anything over an hour.

In los angeles an hour's drive in rush hour will only move you about 12 miles though.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

dazultra

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Approaching about 4-5 hours of continous driving and i think i would need a break, though depends who is on the passenger seat  silly 

Jkw777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Quoting Dazultra (Reply 14):
though depends who is on the passenger seat

So what if I'm in the pax seat?!  Smile

I've gotta test the implications before we go mate, lol! Big grin

Cheers,
Justin  Wink

salso

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:12 pm

For me it's anything above three hours, if the company in the car is right and if there are no major obstructions on the way.

If I have to enter the same car with people I can't stomach very well, even sitting in one car with them is a torture, let alone drive together.

It has something to do with the fact that you can drive from one side of the country to the other in sole three hours. And with the fact that there are three international airports within 90 minutes of driving from my home (I live in the country): LJU, GRZ and ZAG. And they're in three different countries.  Silly

dazultra

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:13 pm

Quoting Jkw777 (Reply 15):
So what if I'm in the pax seat?!

Depends if/what your singing  silly 

Jkw777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:15 pm

Quoting Dazultra (Reply 17):
Depends if/what your singing

Hip hop Hip hop Hip hop it's bigger than....?  Wink

or

Walking on sunshine, woooahhh....  silly 

LMFAO! Big grin

Cheers,
Justin  Wink

dazultra

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:16 pm

Quoting Jkw777 (Reply 18):
Hip hop Hip hop Hip hop it's bigger than....?

i think your seat is safe with that  Wink

IAH777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:18 pm

While in Hawaii, we asked a local how long it would take to get to a specific part of the island. He told us it was 30 minutes and that we should plan to make it an overnight trip! He cringed when I told him we routinely take over an hour to drive 15 miles at home!  Smile

jwenting

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Didn't know traffic was that bad in Djibouti  Smile

It all depends on why you're on the road and what the road conditions are.

4 hours cruising along nicely is nothing (at highway speed I need fuel after about that time so I don't usually drive longer than that  Wink ), 2 hours stuck in a traffic jam is hell.
I wish I were flying

IAH777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 pm

You'd be surprised how long it takes in a horse-drawn Mercedes!

Pope

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:19 pm

That depends. Put a screaming 3 year old in the back seat and see how long you can drive.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

SlamClick

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:47 pm

A single nine hour day or any drive that takes two or more full days.

Just now, I am procrastinating. I need to go to Carson City and I'm dreading the hour or so each way!

Would seriously like to make this drive. Just not sure if I want to round-trip it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

usnseallt82

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:56 pm

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 1):
1/4 mile if my mother in law is in the car.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Washington DC to Anchorage, Alaska

Man, I'd love to do that trip. I thought 1500 in one day from Texas to North Carolina was long. I love driving.........especially alone. Best time in the world!  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

FlyingTexan

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting BananaBoY (Thread starter):
How Long Do You Consider A "long" Drive To Be?

When you measure distance covered using scientific notation.

New Brunswick, Canada to Houston, Texas. I just did that last month - 2,500 miles. Over the years, I’ve made that drive numerous times, most notably in my Mazda Miata. A bit uncomfy but fun.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

aerobalance

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:43 am

About 300 yards. I need to switch the Cleveland Launcher from a 400 to a 460.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

DLKAPA

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:54 am

Something about the road lulls me into a zombie-like state of perfect coherence but null time perception. It's not uncommon for me to be able to drive for 6 or 7 hours straight stopping only for essentials and it'll only feel like an hour or two has gone by.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

dl021

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:59 am

Well, since I'm not very good at it, anything over 150 yards is a huge drive for me. I'm working on my backswing, though, so that might be improving next spring. Maybe if I get one of those driving nets you can put in your backyard.

You do know that they named it "golf" because all the other 4 letter words were taken?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

desertjets

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 am

I HATE driving long distances. I gotta go to Buffalo tomorrow. And that is only a 2.5 hour drive at the longest. Throw in less than ideal weather and it only gets worse. I just find those distances so boring and dreary. You can't do much other than drive. And it gets tiring. When it comes down to it I will fly if I can.

Last May I did one very long day. I left my place in central upstate NY, drove to Pittsburgh (that was about 6 hours). Only stopped twice, once for food, once for gas. Then after getting to Pittsburgh turned around about 90 minutes later and drove to Toronto (that was about 5 - 6 hours). So 11 hours one day, all driven by myself. Over good, bad, and ugly roads (especially a few stretches of I-79 that were underconstruction and had been grooved down). The only upside was that the weather was pretty nice out.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

RobertNL070

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:33 am

I've driven from my home town The Hague in the Netherlands to the family retreat near Málaga on the southern coast of Spain, and back, a couple of times. I generally try to reach Pau in southern France, where a friend of mine lives, in one day - some 1350 km or 845 miles. Leaving here at about 6 a.m., I'm there by about 9 p.m. Its a long trip to make in one day and not for the faint-hearted - French drivers ... uhm... road-users. But then I adore driving.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 am

Any drive exceeding 30 minutes without braking  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EGGD

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:45 am

It depends where I am. In the UK Scenery moves very fast and roads are generally very busy, so driving 1 or maybe 2 hours can be quite stressful, especially if alot of it isn't motorway driving. Otherwise I could easily go 6 or 7 hours easily in places where there is no traffic and the landscapes are much less claustrophobic.

bananaboy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting EGGD (Reply 33):
It depends where I am. In the UK Scenery moves very fast and roads are generally very busy, so driving 1 or maybe 2 hours can be quite stressful, especially if alot of it isn't motorway driving. Otherwise I could easily go 6 or 7 hours easily in places where there is no traffic and the landscapes are much less claustrophobic.

I can agree with that. I have just bought a TomTom 300 Sat Nav and am now making sure it takes me routes I haven't driven before because the time seems to pass quicker than on a routine route.

And to think I moan now... I drove from Melbourne to Ayers Rock and back in just over a week which is approx 3600 miles round trip. And I had the time of my life.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

aer lingus

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:44 am

For me : 2 hours or under = Short haul*
4 hours or under = Medium haul*
6 hours or over = Longhaul*

* Including stopping in traffic. But doesn't include getting out of the car to take a break or to refuel the car.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

jap

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 am

I guess my border between "short" and "long" is at around 5-7 hrs (hey, almost like the difference between "longhaul" and "shorthaul" flights  Wink). After being in Australia, experiencing a 10 hr drive every day for a week, I just don't look at it the same- before that, 30 MINUTES used to be long for me  rotfl 

So anything after 5 or 7 hrs, it's long for me  Smile
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

BigOrange

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:48 am

In September this year, I drove from Central New Jersey, to Teterboro, to Stewart Airport, back to Teterboro, down to ILG, on to DOV, then to GED (Georgetown, Delaware) back to PHL, to EWR, to TEB and arrived back home 13 hours after leaving. About 700 miles in all.

The biggest drive I ever did was BWI to Houston, but I took 14 days going down. Coming back I did it in 2 days. Not once did I do any sightseeing. Every stop was an airport. I'm sure Alamo took the car out of their fleet for being over mileage once I was done with it!

Now 6 hours is about the maximum I will drive in one day.

ANCFlyer

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 24):
Would seriously like to make this drive. Just not sure if I want to round-trip it.

Make a one way and take the Ferry back to Bellingham . . . .

Many folks do that . . . you can catch the ferry in Seward (shortest trip) and cross the Gulf of Alaska or drive back to Haines and take the ferry from there.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

luv2fly

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 am

Anything over three hours is a long drive to me.
You can cut the irony with a knife

[email protected]

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:28 am

From a UK perspective anything over 3 or 4 hours is a long drive, and that's the maximum i can take on a road journey. I did Luton to the Eden project in Cornwall last summer (M1,M25,M4,M5,A30) and it took 6+ hours at a steady 70 mph with 3 stops. Too long in a Vauxhall. Long road journeys in America is a different proposition though. I did a Greyhound trip from their terminal in Manhattan to Detroit, took 12 hours or so with 3 breaks in between. Another time was in a rented mini-van from NYC to Detroit, took 10 hours but was a very pleasant journey, probably the best road trip i've ever done.
In Arsene we trust!!

Adam T.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:07 am

After 4 hours in a car I start getting grumpy, so i'd say that 4 hours is a long drive for me though not too bad.

57AZ

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Anything over 500 miles a day, if I'm driving. If I'm riding, it depends on who's driving. Driving Tucson, AZ to Anaheim, CA was routine when I drove a motorcoach. We might make two or three stops enroute on the trip out and only one on the return.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

jwenting

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 22):
You'd be surprised how long it takes in a horse-drawn Mercedes!

to have a luxury car...
I wish I were flying

TNboy

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:16 pm

In Western Australia, 12- 14 hours can be fairly routine, and, with good weather, and without seeing many other cars, it is relatively painless.... kamikaze kangaroos notwithstanding

Driving from Dover to Glasgow, although scenic enough, was a pain, with a lot of traffic delays.

I enjoy driving, and like long drives, as long as I dont have to deal with too much traffic, or animals with a deathwish.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."