Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aer lingus
Topic Author

Taking A Tripod As Hand Luggage

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:41 am

I was thinking of bringing my tripod with me as hand luggage onboard an aircraft. As I could get better pictures if the interior using a tripod. If I bring my tripod which is about 65cm. Would the airport security let me through?
I know that you can't bring baseball bats, skateboards etc. Would they let me pass the security and onboard the a/c if I bring a tripod with me?

No out of subject replies please.  Smile
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

saxdiva

RE: Taking A Tripod As Hand Luggage

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:05 am

I can only guess that it depends on the security rules in your area. That said, if your area happens to be LAX, don't bother--the nice TSA folks relieved me of my Manfrotto and made me check it. I'm shocked the thing made it all the way to SXM in one piece.

Hope this helps,
Leanne
See terms for details....

aer lingus
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:15 am

I am going DUB-AMS. Security in DUB is very strict so they might get me to check it in.
Thats why I want to bring my tripod as hand luggage because I don't want my tripod become fragmented pieces of scrap metal. Also I think a tripod is less dangerous than a monopod. Because it is easier to hit someone with a monopod than a tripod.

More replies would help even more.

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:32 am

I have travelled with my tripod as a carry on. I have a special bag for it which it travels in and it is only about 25-30inches long. I don't see a problem with it unless it is very heavy or long.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

SlamClick

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:23 am

I've used a minipod for this. It is only maybe six inches high, easily goes into a carryon. You can rest it on top a seatback for low-light shots. You'd be amazed at how little stabilization is needed to get decent exposures longer than 1/30 of a second.

There was a pistol shooting technique that could even be modified for your use. The shooter could grab the end of his necktie in his gunhand, wrap just a bit of it around the grip of a pistol, pull it taut and shoot that way - with the other hand also helping to stabilize the gun hand. You could do the same thing with a camera. Not wearing a tie? Zipper edge of a jacket might just work the same way.

You can prop the top of the camera against the overhead bins or against a sidewall or cabin bulkhead. Lots of little low-light tricks.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MrHarlot

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:59 am

I've used some of the techniques SlamClick mentioned and have gotten good pics out of it. Resting the base of the camera on the head rest or against the side of the aisle seat seems to work.

Of course, having a lens with a built in stabilizer definitely helps as well  Smile
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Go3Team

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:38 pm

I've taken a tripod thru security in the US, UK, and thru AMS. They did want to take a good look at it, but let me put it back in my carry on bag.
Yay Pudding!

j_hallgren

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:25 pm

I've taken my Velbon Videopod (attached to my camcorder bag) as carry-on twice via Boston to Sweden since 2001 with no problems...and as it's strapped to bag, it fits in back of overhead in that space that otherwise gets somewhat unused.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:50 pm

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 2):
am going DUB-AMS. Security in DUB is very strict so they might get me to check it in.

Hey there, I am a fellow Dubliner flying out constantly from DUB, on various occasions I have had a tripod with me and there never was any problem  Smile

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

aer lingus
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 8):
:Hey there, I am a fellow Dubliner flying out constantly from DUB, on various occasions I have had a tripod with me and there never was any problem

How big & how long is your tripod?
Do you have a case to carry the tripod with?

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:02 pm

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 9):
How big & how long is your tripod?
Do you have a case to carry the tripod with?

My tripod is as big as my...errmmm, anyways, it's about normal height for a tripod, around 50 cm when folded and twice that when deployed.

No case so I just pop it into my hand luggage  Smile

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards