Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Friday's Stupid Thread - Battery Level Indicators

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:07 pm

So I have noticed that it differs from appliance to appliance; for instance my Canon camerhaas usually have the battery symbol in a horizontal position with three levels of battery life displayed, other camerhaas may have more.

Cellphones however have battery indicators displayed vertically and have more levels than camerhaas; also camcorders and laptops seem to have a "sequential" type battery display, why is this so ?

UTA   

Edit : Rhaa, typos.

[Edited 2005-12-02 08:35:02]
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Battery Level Indicators

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:13 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
Cellphones however have battery indicators displayed vertically

Actually, Nokia cellphones have it vertically. Many a cellphone has it horizontally.

Anyway, as for the question

why is this so ?

It is mainly because the ergonomists of each designer handset (laptop, mobile phones, camera) thought it was better to have it the way they designed it. As simple as that.

A bit like Boeing designs their FBW controls with a yoke while Airbus designs them with a sidestick.

Cheers,

willo

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Battery Level Indicat

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:51 pm

Why are they so inaccurate? The meter usually drops to the last segment just as the camera/phone is shutting itself down through lack of juice and you are at a critical point in the conversation or the plane you've been standing freezing your nuts off for finally comes into view. Sad

gordonsmall

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 pm

Cars also have stupid battery level indicators as well!

About 5 years ago I had an Astra GTE (those in the know will remember it's cult status). It had a foolish battery level indicator on it's digital dash.

It was increadibly foolish as the battery level would only adjust each time the engine was cranked, which meant that you wouldn't realise that playing your radio while waiting for 'her indoors' to get out of shopping mode had drained your battery until you tried to start the car again to go home!

Made for some interesting third gear 'bump' starts though ....  Smile

My current car has a foolish set of factory fitted gauges that display votage and current across the battery terminals, which have the sole prupose of distracting you from the boost gauge when you're trying your hardest not to blow the turbo when pulling away from the lights! Not to mention a foolish trip-computer which only makes my wallet tremble when I see the level of fuel consumption whilst caning it all the way home from work.  Silly
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

md80fanatic

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread - Battery Level Indicat

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:36 pm

Newer batteries are designed to maintain a consistant voltage level for as long as possible....they usually fall off quickly at the very end of their charge. Since the "battery-o-meter" senses voltage differences.....the bars won't start disappearing until the literal last minute.

It isn't the meter's fault, it's the battery's fault. If the battery gives no clue to it's charge level via decreasing voltage, what's the meter to do?

A better solution would probably be to periodically charge a known capacitor while timing the event. A full battery would charge a capacitor faster than a nearly depleted one. Then, with charge timing information, a decent gradient can be derived to drive the meter.

mhodgson

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:44 pm

Quoting Willo (Reply 2):
Why are they so inaccurate? The meter usually drops to the last segment just as the camera/phone is shutting itself down through lack of juice and you are at a critical point in the conversation or the plane you've been standing freezing your nuts off for finally comes into view. Sad

Mine is weird, it has 7 sections. Once charged it remains full for a day or so, then rushes from 7 to 2, lastas another day, and then another day one one bar before finally dying.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

traveler_7

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:17 am

Mine has blue/yellow horizontal bar as a level indicator. Located in the right upper corner. It does not have any visible sections. When it fully charged it is completely blue then part of it becomes yellow and so on. Finally when the bar is yellow I have to charge it.

JAGflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:02 am

WTF is a "camerhaas"?
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

zippyjet

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:21 am

At 49 years young, I can't see most of them. Another MaGoo moment!

I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

andz

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 7):
WTF is a "camerhaas"?

I would guess another reference to this "rhaa" that pops up in here and about 3 people know what it is all about.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 3):
About 5 years ago I had an Astra GTE (those in the know will remember it's cult status).

Err, with all due respect Gordon, the Astra never had "cult status", it was always a pile of shite.  Wink The battery level indicator was the least of it's problems, but then, it was a Vauxhall.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

dan2002

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:00 am

My MP3 player has it displayed horizontally.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

ShyFlyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:49 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 7):
WTF is a "camerhaas"?

A device used in photogrhaaphy.
I lift things up and put them down.

DrDeke

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting Willo (Reply 2):
Why are they so inaccurate? The meter usually drops to the last segment just as the camera/phone is shutting itself down through lack of juice and you are at a critical point in the conversation or the plane you've been standing freezing your nuts off for finally comes into view

Yes, this is one of the things that inherently sucks about current battery technology. As I understand it, there is no good way to directly take even a reasonably accurate estimate of the current SoC (state of charge) of a battery cell or battery pack. Therefore, devices like cell phones and laptops have charge/energy controller chips in them which, in addition to providing the battery with the proper charging voltage, keep track of how much energy has been drawn from the battery since the last full recharge. This is how the device's battery meter typically gets its data. The data is better than nothing, but is not usually completely accurate since battery charge characteristics change throughout the life of the battery, and since the battery cells self-discharge over time. Most people do not realize that lithium-ion batteries are typically only good for 500 full charge/discharge cycles. This can last for a couple of years especially if one uses optimal charging techniques, but after three years or so, a Li-ion battery really can not be expected to hold anywhere near its original charge, nor for it to be able to accurately report its state of charge.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

jumpseatflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:14 pm

My Hyundai doesn't have a battery indicator. And of course, what happened other than me cornering too fast on Monday morning, sliding out of control, and smashing into a shinny little Nissan. Damn lack of battery indicator...

The Kodak Easy Share (yeah, laugh, laugh, in the photography world I may as well have a 1" thingy) has no indicator until its close to death. It really sucks.

skidmarks

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 pm

My mobile phone battery indicator is horizontal, I never let it fall below 2 bars. I always have at least one spare battery for my camera and I dont have a lap top.

And there is no need to be ashamed of a Kodak easy share camera, each to their own.

Mind you, I always heard that only people with a 1" thingy own them Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

jumpseatflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:35 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 15):
I always heard that only people with a 1" thingy own them

It's true. Since I violated the rule, they made me buy 18 of the damn things.
 liar 

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:54 pm

AC Delco automotive batteries used to have the "Delco Eye", a small window in the top of the battery intended to display the batteries' state of charge. A green color in the "eye" was good, no color was bad. Total joke! I remember seeing those batteries after blowing up and the eye was still green!

And yes, automobile batteries produce hydrogen gas as part of the "electrolytic" process" (sulfuric acid eating up slices of lead) and on occasion will explode.

Automotive "Battery" gauges or warning lights no not indicate if the battery is good or not. It tells if the battery is being charged by the alternator (generator) or not.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

gordonsmall

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 10):
Err, with all due respect Gordon, the Astra never had "cult status", it was always a pile of shite. Wink The battery level indicator was the least of it's problems, but then, it was a Vauxhall.

You will notice I said that those "in the know"! That clearly does not include you!  Silly

The GTE in both 8v and 16v guises was one of the biggest cult hits of the 80's, and had as loyal a following as the Golf GTi and XR2/XR3's. Even today you won't get much change out of �3000 for a decent standard and original car, and I have known other members of the owners club to pay �6000+ for low mileage examples.

A bit of advice: It's best to just keep quiet unless what you have to say is of more value than silence!  Smile
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

skidmarks

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:43 pm

Obviously a strange and little known cult then Gordon. Most Astra owners I know of are Chav like creatures with little or no street cred or personality! Big grin

And lets face it, Owners Clubs of ANY car will always have the nuts who will go to any lengths to buy their favourite pile of junk. Big grin

Over to you, big boy!  wink   stirthepot 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional