Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Having Your Hair Cut

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:50 pm

For some strange reason, I don't like having my hair cut. I get a little anxious before going into the barber's shop. I put off going. I'm not quite sure why. Do you like have your hair cut?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

andz

RE: Having Your Hair Cut

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:01 pm

what hair? I have the same hairstyle as this dude....

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Matt27

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:02 pm

It's not a big deal, 20 minutes every now and then. Bloody expensive tho.  Sad
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

kiwiandrew

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 pm

I would prefer not to have to bother - I did shave all my hair off about three months ago , and I loved being bald , so much easier ... but the winter here is far too cold so I have grown it back ..... as soon as spring comes it will be off with the hair again

noelg

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 2):
Bloody expensive tho.

We invested in a pair of clippers for £30. I can now cut my hair myself, if not Rachel will do it.

Most of the time I razor it afterwards, then it's a couple of months before it needs cutting again.

Trust me the £30 is a decent investment, I haven't paid for a haircut in 4 years.

Cheers,
Noel

TNboy

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Same here - short and spiky all over and I do it myself (with a little help from my wife at the back). Only takes a few minutes with the electric clippers, because there's a hole in the middle which looks after itself.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

planesarecool

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 pm

I feel awkward sitting in the chair while he/she does it. I can never think of anything to talk about, but feel like an idiot if i remain quiet  Wink.

Nimish

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Don't you guys have TV/Radio going on at the barbers? There's normally a full-fledged movie going on, or at least some music playing.

My son (3 years) hates going to the barber as well - James, could it be some left over paranoia from your childhood (maybe a snipped ear  Smile)?
Incredible India!

lesmainwaring

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 5):
electric clippers

a great investment ... i've cut my own hair (as well as my partner's) for almost 10 years now ... not to mention the time savings, i figure between the two of us, including tip, we've saved thousands of dollars
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

Cadet57

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:11 am

I ususally go to my barber, this guy ROCKS, I remember one fri night I went about an hour before they closed, and it was me and like 4-5 other regulars, two of us gettin cuts. Then one of the guys waitin asked if anyone was thirsty, he left came back and brought a few brews over  Smile, but i diddnt drink, I had to drive and im still too young, I just had soda....

But back to the question, I HATE LONG HAIR, on me atleast, as soon as it touches my ears, its gone, all those pics you see of me here are old >2+weeks cuz I had to keep my hair long from the play I was in. In the long run id think the shor answer is yes, love havin my hair cut.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
Do you like have your hair cut?

Don't mind having it cut - I just don't get it cut.

I like the long haired student look Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 10):
I like the long haired student look

A bloody scruff! A sit-at-home useless layabout!  Wink Big grin And I have to pay my taxes...  Wink  Wink Just kidding Dan.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

cornish

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 11):
And I have to pay my taxes...

At long last......  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

aa61hvy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:23 am

I get my hair cut every 5 weeks or so. I got it 'cut' yesterday. I more or less just got my neck shaved, as I'm growing out my hair.
Go big or go home

PlymSpotter

A bloody scruff! A sit-at-home useless layabout!

and proud of it Wink

biggrin 
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Matt D

Back when I used to keep hair (I also have the Dr. Evil dome), I also used to go to a really cool barber. His name was Jesse. He was the most radical, ultra Liberal left wing SOB I ever met. Him and I went round and round on so many issues. Despite him being an unapolagetic flaming left winger, he was very open minded and would always hear you out. Or at least pretended to anyway.

But you know what? He was a great guy...fun to be around...even if we vehemently disagreed on political issues. He had all kinds of pictures on the wall-Playboy and Penthouse laying around for anyone to read. He not only broke out beers for some of us, he even offered us some Cubans. And one time, he rolled and smoked a Dooby right there in the shop, during business hours, and he didn't give a shit who saw or knew. Of course he offered all of us a hit. And everyone who walked into that place was a smoker who would burn them right there in the chair while he was working your hair.

And on top of that, he was a damn good barber too.

And the funny thing was, there was something about him that appealed to nearly everyone: young conservatives such as myself, hard lined WWII era Conservatives in their 80's, Liberal college kids, gays, lesbians, you name it. There were people from every political view, gender, age, and ethnicity combination imaginable in there.

Unfortunately, his offbeat, no nonsense style got the better of him. At first, his client base was fairly small...maybe a few dozen guys, plus whatever off-the-street walk ins he had. But word obviously spread about his style. Within two years of him taking over that shop, he had a month long waiting list to get a haircut. And his prices tripled.

I think he was a closet Republican.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 12):
At long last......

Oi!  Wink Do you recall your layabout days, Mr Doss? Or is it too much of a distant memory?

cornish

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 16):
Do you recall your layabout days,

that was the last job actually Big grin

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 16):
Or is it too much of a distant memory?

Fortunatley those penniless days are indeed a distant memory  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 17):
Fortunatley those penniless days

Are some of the most fun and exciting in your entire life - and greatly missed when they're gone.

cornish

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 18):
Are some of the most fun and exciting in your entire life - and greatly missed when they're gone

Trust me I'm getting more fun and excitement now than I've ever had - the difference being that now I get well paid for it  Smile

Humberside

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 am

I dont like having to get mine cut, but when it needs cutting I find it best just to go and have it cut and then forget about it
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:12 am

I wore a damned awaful permed mullet until a few years ago. I was afraid to try something new.

I'm the one on the phone:

I finally got sick and tired of it and had it all cut off. A week later I got Lasik surgery so I didn't need glasses.

Now my hair is no more thatn 1 cm long.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

jasepl

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 2):
20 minutes

Wow! My hair's been cut in the same exact way by the same person for nearly 8 years now. Still takes over an hour each time!

A bloody scruff! A sit-at-home useless layabout!

Takes one to know one, doesn't it James?  Wink

BigOrange

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:53 am

I don't mind getting my hair cut. It's more or less a neccessity when it gets to the point it was yesterday, when it still sticks up after brushing.

Went to my usual barber yesterday but it was closed, so wound up going to one of the "chain" hairdressers and got it cut by a hot girl. I think my barber has lost my business  Wink

RobertNL070

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 am

My four-weekly Saturday morning trip to the hair stylist is something I really look forward to. And having a very full head of grey hair that shows absolutely no signs of receding, I need it too. Twenty euros seventy buys me a hair wash with a good scalp massage, twenty-five minutes of care and attention and harmless chitchat, and a decent cup of coffee.

I've got one of those hair trimming devices for the necessary removal of those recalcitrant nose and ear hairs, trimming sideburns and eyebrows.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

9VSPO

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:15 am

I used to go to this really fit hairdresser who always pressed against you really hard when she was cutting your hair and I always found it a problem geting out of the chair. She got too expensive in the end so now I cut my own.

BigOrange

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 25):
I used to go to this really fit hairdresser who always pressed against you really hard when she was cutting your hair

I have this "problem" with my dental hygeinist, she makes going to the dentist a "good experience"

muddydwagon

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:37 am

I can't stand getting my hair cut, really don't know why. I rate going do the barber up there with going to the dentist.

This past summer I kept it real short did it my self with the clippers. I liked it better that way.

Cheers Peter

searpqx

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:14 am

With everything else I always wanted to get done, spending 30-45 minutes at a barber shop always felt like such a waste of time. I'd put it off for as long as I could, and would end up looking like a throwback to the 60s by the time I bit the bullett and went in. About 2.5 years ago I said to hell with it, bought a pair of clippers and now keep it buzzed (no 1 guard). I still put it off too long, but I can do it in my bathroom, takes 5 minutes and doesn't cost a thing. Never been happier about it.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Curtisman

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:25 am

Getting a haircut - one of the finer pleasures in life! I enjoy it so much.

Everything is great from the pre-cut wash, the scalp massage, the after cut wash and followed by the neck massage. Oh yes - getting a haircut is one of my favourite things to do.

Cheers!
Len
Citizen of the World

bhmbaglock

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:52 am

I love getting my hair cut. We've got an old fashioned barber shop here that makes it a true pleasure.

Nice cut, trim it up with the straight razor(you know what they say about trusting women with sharp knives), scalp massage, hair tonic, the works. If you can't be relaxed after this experience then there's something wrong with you.

Matter of fact I'm heading over tomorrow and looking forward to it. Not too expensive either for all that, $8.00 plus tip.
Where are all of my respected members going?

SlamClick

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:21 am

Bloody nuisance.

I may have my vanities but they do not concern hair or clothing. I like a simple Republican haircut. (You know - boring.) It is just hard to find anyone who still does that.

Supercuts wants to put a line around my head. What do I look like? Fourteen? Do I have a freakin' skateboard under my arm or something?

Would not trouble me at all to go bald, but I don't think it is going to happen. Very thick hair.

Nice thing about being my age is I can just tell the barber that I'm deaf in one ear and they get self-conscious and won't talk to me. It is worth being deaf just for that.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

FriendlySkies

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 30):

Matter of fact I'm heading over tomorrow and looking forward to it. Not too expensive either for all that, $8.00 plus tip.

Holy crap that's cheap! I pay like $13 at school, $18 at my barber plus tip. Yeah I'm too lazy to cut my own, but I don't really care about getting it cut.

skysurfer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:39 am

I HATE it with a passion..........what if they screw up? Just the sound of the 'clippers/electric shavers' is enough to send my spine into convulsions! lol And someone please tell me...when they've just taken a chunk of your hair off with the scissors,why do they keep on 'cutting' into thin air! Alfred Hitchcock springs to mind at that point, or Stephen King!

Hate it hate it hate it

A not so happy Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

QFA380

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:42 am

I don't like having my hair cut but I have to as I do Air Force Cadets. I won't to see what it looks like long.

bhmbaglock

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 32):
Holy crap that's cheap! I pay like $13 at school, $18 at my barber plus tip. Yeah I'm too lazy to cut my own, but I don't really care about getting it cut.

I'd happily pay twice for the hour of pure relaxation it gives me. Of course when I lived in Quito I had a guy who was equally good at 30,000 Sucres a whack. FYI that was $1.20 I'd usually give him $3 and tell him to keep the change. He thought I was super generous and I felt like a cheap bastard.
Where are all of my respected members going?

AirVB

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:11 pm

Absolutely traumatic. I love my long hair but I go into that awful place against my own will and sit through an awkward half an hour with this old man. And I'm trying to communicate what I want, but he completly doesn't get it. I don't want to be here so I'm just looking at the ground expecting the worse. And I turn around for the first time and it's worse than I expected. So now I'm upset but at the same time I have to try to tell him how to fix this horrific cut and finally I'm there so long I just give up. And it's so horrible I have to avoid any mirrors or reflections if I don't want to get upset again. I miss my hair. It's bad enough that people be subjected to such torture but to top it off we have to PAY for it!

irelayer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 pm

For some strange reason, I don't like having my hair cut. I get a little anxious before going into the barber's shop. I put off going. I'm not quite sure why. Do you like have your hair cut?

No but I don't like doing a lot of things. Blame it on laziness.

-IR

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:38 pm

For some strange reason, I don't like having my hair cut. I get a little anxious before going into the barber's shop. I put off going.

consider yourself fortunate that you dont have to patronize Black barber shops-- you'd go Rasta.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

irelayer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 pm

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 29):
Everything is great from the pre-cut wash, the scalp massage, the after cut wash and followed by the neck massage. Oh yes - getting a haircut is one of my favourite things to do.

You Canadians are funny. Heh.

-IR

NWOrientDC10

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 am

Getting a haircut is a chore (a pain in the a#*); I get it done every three months

If you plan on joining the military, you may want to revamp your mindset (I'm assuming that the British Military has strict haircut standards as does the United States Military).

Cheers

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

jafa39

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 4):
We invested in a pair of clippers for £30. I can now cut my hair myself,

Ha ha! Soul brothers, you'll recognise me at AKL for sure, I have the same home-made haircut!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

redngold

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 am

My mother likes to cut my hair, and I am always paranoid that she is going to cut my ears. I don't generally get this paranoid with professional hairdressers, but with them I get annoyed when they push my head way back while washing or way forward while working on the back of my neck.

I'm less fidgety now than I used to be, but if a hairdresser doesn't drape me properly, I WILL get up in the middle of a cut ot brush off and itch from stray hairs.

redngold

P.S. My mom likes this:

but I like this
Up, up and away!

RODOL

Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 42):

If you don't mind me saying Liz, they both look just fine to me! wink 

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Yes Every month.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

gocaps16

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:59 pm

I love the feel after getting a fresh haircut. I usually get a haircut about twice a month or once every two weeks. I love my sides nearly skinned and once it starts to get long, (about 3-4cm long) that's when I go back to the barber and get my usual haircut. Not the typical high n tight, crew or buzz cuts, but a nice low fade. tapered. I somewhat keep the top about an inch long to style it. And for that, it only cost $6 for a haircut here at your local exchange. During my long, stressful, and traumatic deployments, that's when I use a pair of my own clippers and shave my whole head once a month.

Kevin

vaporlock

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Well....all I can say about hair is that I have lots!! I usually get a trim every 3 months or so....

Phyllis  bouncy 

CO7e7

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:29 am

No i hate having haircuts.. thats why i shave my head every other day with Gillette Mac 3 Power!

AA777

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:26 pm

I have had many a nightmare at the barber shops..... ie, the guy cutting a gash into my hair, leaving a nice baldspot for me to try and cover up....or cutting it wayy too short so that I look horrible. I finally quit going to that one place in my town and I found a nice salon, with THE best stylist I've ever been to. He cuts my hair like a champ, perfect every time.... I dont mind paying extra for a job well done.

-AA777