Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jafa39
Topic Author

RE: Why Is Being A Liberal So Bad?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Wingman (Reply 39):
one thing I'll say about the US is that in my personal experience, city dwellers tend to be more liberal while those living in suburbs or rural areas tend to be much more conservative

That is so very true of NZ as our last election map showed, farmers = Blue, Jafas = Red

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 46):
You should try and listen to what people are saying and gather all the facts before forming your opinion.

That would be a first for any a.netter on non-av, myself included!  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Falcon84

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 37):
I would not say that being a Liberal is bad, but, why are most people afraid to admit that they are a Liberal?

Many are afraid for one reason: because the Gingrichs and Limbaughs of this nation have done a masterful job in perverting and bastardizing the meaning of liberal. When they and most conservatives say the world "liberal", the don't want to conjur up the majority of those who are liberal, who are mainstream, loyal Americans-they want people to conjur up those who are radically pro-choice, who are radically pro-gay rights, who are radicals on the enviornment, who are radical in their stance on the military. In other words, they want you to equate "liberal" with "left-wing extremist". And in 99.999% of the cases, it's an out and out lie.

Just like most conservatives aren't like Ann Coulter, most liberals aren't like Jesse Jackson. Most on both sides are in the middle, and closer ideologically than many of them would realize, if they stopped to think about it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dw9115

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 49):
well, you're getting all pissy about it now aren't ya?

score another.

Most liberals claim to listen to what people have to say and gather the info and make a good decision based on that but you just seemed to be interest in building up your own fragile ego.

stlgph

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 52):

Most liberals claim to listen to what people have to say and gather the info and make a good decision based on that but you just seemed to be interest in building up your own fragile ego.

no, i am just pointing out that you're entirely wasting your time trying to piece apart an entire bit of parody and sarcasm.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Gilligan

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 51):
Just like most conservatives aren't like Ann Coulter, most liberals aren't like Jesse Jackson. Most on both sides are in the middle, and closer ideologically than many of them would realize, if they stopped to think about it.

Yes, they're called "Moderates" and in survey after survey that's what most Americans call themselves although when pushed they almost always lean to the conservative side of moderation.

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 11):
My position:

Sounds just like the workers paradise of Cuba and we all know how many rich people live there as well as how thriving the economy is. Anyone care for a ride in a '56 BelAir?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

dw9115

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 53):
parody and sarcasm.

Interesting you would say that now that things are not going your way you were just joking around interesting how things seem to work out your way and you are never wrong.

767Lover

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 43):
You need medicine, it's yours. You need healthcare, you get the best.

And how does this stop everyone from going to the doctor every time they have a bump? Or taking medicine (which half the time they don't need) just becasue they can easily get it?

QANTASforever

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:23 am

I wonder how Europeans or other non-US forum members would describe the urban vs. rural differences in terms of liberal and conservative tendencies in their own countries.

What you've said is kinda true here as well. Almost all inner-city residents are extremely rich yet vote liberally. Some areas around Sydney (the west - lower socio-economic demographic, highly multicultural) tend to vote for the union-sympathetic Labor party. Other struggling suburbs vote for the conservative (lol) Liberal party. It's a real mix. But absolutely - in the middle-class suburbs of Sydney there is overwhealming support for conservative politics.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 5):
Doesn't sound like a party-specific statement to me.

But here's the thing: Liberals are very proud of their "openness" and "acceptance for others." In the 90's the Democratic Party self-titled themselves the "Party of Inclusion." Which, is fine. If that's how you want to fashion yourself, good for you. But at the same time, liberals can't run around saying, "Look at us! We're so noble! We see beyond bigotry and petty differences! We accept people for who they are!" Yet, at the same time, completely disparage Republicans. If you accept people for who they are, and if you are truly the party of inclusion... then you would embrace Republicans an CELEBRATE THEIR DIVERSITY!!!!!

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Gilligan

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:23 am

Liberal, conservative, makes no difference. Both sides use their respective labels for one thing, the acquisition of power. Neither side is happy as long as the other side has even a shred of it. When they are in the minority they claim the majority are not sharing and are trampling them. When in the majority they say that the minority has no right to question them since they have a "mandate". The real shame is that in the end they both have some good ideas and if they would work together on the positives instead of expounding on each others negatives so much more could be accomplished.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 58):
But here's the thing: Liberals are very proud of their "openness" and "acceptance for others."

Are the opposition proud of their closedness and non-acceptance of others? I'm not taking the piss, I just wonder if there is a certain degree of hypocrisy amongst non-liberals?

For the record I am apolitical in as much as I think they're all a pack of tossers and have no affiliation to any party as such but my vote in NZ was influenced by which party would guarrantee to stay out of Iraq and not "get into bed" with Bush.

Does that make me a Liberal?

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 60):
Are the opposition proud of their closedness and non-acceptance of others? I'm not taking the piss, I just wonder if there is a certain degree of hypocrisy amongst non-liberals?

I don't know. But lets face it, Republicans really don't try and be the party of the "disenfranchised." I don't know how they can be hypocrites when they never proclaimed to accept everyone! Liberals claim it, but in action, they fall short.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

kiwiinoz

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 60):

I don't think they would call it that. They would say they were proud of their steady, measured approach and their commitment to uphold the values and status quo that society has accepted over many years

cairo

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:12 am

The one thing I'll say about the US is that in my personal experience, city dwellers tend to be more liberal while those living in suburbs or rural areas tend to be much more conservative.

This is true all over the western world. (Europe and those countries who have a European heritage). Europe has 4 times the populatin density of America, and it is almost uniformly more leftward leaning than America.

The 'middle of the road' policy by European standards would be a leftward leaning policy by American standards. For instance, in Europe the free or cheap healthcare regime is almost without debate - it's considered a basis of society for left, right or center politicians.

When people actually have to live with those less fortunate they develop a compassion that is largely lacking in those that don't.

There is very obviously a connection between rural/city and right/left politics, but your reasoning shows a leftward bias. It could be stated in an unbiased way by perhaps saying, "Those in the city are more likely to view society/life as unfair and in need of correction; while those in the countryside view society/life as fair and in no need of correction."

My personal belief is that when you live in the country, you are closer to the animals and nature and tend to view everything in terms of Survival of the Fittest; while if you live in the city you tend to see things in terms of how much or how little the events in your own life are your own doing.

Rural people feel more in control of their own lives - thus they lean to the right. City people feel things can happen in their life beyond their control - thus they lean to the left.

Cairo

* population density info:
http://europa.eu.int/abc/keyfigures/...tion/compare/index_animated_en.htm

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 61):
I don't know how they can be hypocrites when they never proclaimed to accept everyone!

True, that is the truth i was seeking.

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:54 am

Being a republican/conservative I personally don't equate being liberal with bad. But there are those on the left who push the envelope when they are being "politically correct". I deem the individual person with their ultra liberal views as being bad. Look at that judge in Vermont who sentenced a pedophile to 60 days in jail for repeatedly raping a young girl for years since she was the age of 7. He felt that the perpetrator would not be rehabilitated by being kept in jail. Sadly there are many who feel the same as the judge does. Or the issue on gay marriage(s). When it started it was all over the place. It would seem that if aliens were landing on earth at the same time the gay marriage issue started I would bet money that the gay marriage issue would get more media coverage. WHO CARES. Let them get married. But because they are gay does that make them special ? Certainly not. But you have to admit its funny when two women get married and one is wearing a tux and the other a white dress.  wideeyed  Thats where it gets confusing.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

ctbarnes

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:22 am

I really hate political labels, but these are just too good to pass up:

Conservitives don't read and liberals don't think.

Or,

A liberal becomes a conservative when he has children
A conservative becomes a liberal when he gets arrested.

Keep smiling,

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

texan

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 58):
If you accept people for who they are, and if you are truly the party of inclusion... then you would embrace Republicans an CELEBRATE THEIR DIVERSITY!

True liberals do. They know there is a need for debate and difference of opinion, that Conservatives/Republicans/Democrats are good people. They just happen to disagree on what actions should be taken.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being liberal or conservative or moderate (although you know the old saying, "There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow lines and dead armadillos"). The problem comes when people get caught up in the labels and attack people or stop listening to people if their views are not to their liking. And all the partisan BS from both sides of the aisle does not help matters at all.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Braybuddy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 am

I wonder how Europeans or other non-US forum members would describe the urban vs. rural differences in terms of liberal and conservative tendencies in their own countries.

There's always an urban/rural divide on this, but even here in rural areas you don't have the hard-nosed conservatism (and I'm talking about Bible Belt) that you get in the States. Even in the most remote places you would never get say, the extreme anti-minority attitudes prevalent there. With, for example, someone who is gay and living openly gay in a rural area there would be a certain sympathy and understanding with a lot of locals, as long as that person participated locally (usually mingling in the local pub). Here, no matter where you are, there are always people who rally round the underdog. It's ingrained in our culture.

AerospaceFan

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:56 pm

About the diversity issue, I don't know if you can blame Democrats for not having conservatives. For whatever reason, liberals gravitate toward the Democratic Party because the Democratic Party promises to help change the country in new ways to make it more to their liking.

Republicans promise only to change the country in traditional ways. Liberals already know what traditions are, and don't like it. That's why they're liberal.

So, naturally you're going to have far more liberals than conservatives in the Democratic Party. I don't know how else it could be.
What's fair is fair.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Logan22, while I'd still consider you a sociopolitical lunatic-- your views aren't nearly as insane as I was first lead to believe!

(PS, that's a compliment cher)  Wink

...one thing though:

1. The same Healthcare for everyone - employers pay for it w/ gov't subsidies;

What about those self-employed?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

767Lover

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 70):
1. The same Healthcare for everyone - employers pay for it w/ gov't subsidies;

What about those self-employed?

Hey, self-employed person here. I pay for my own coverage, and it's not that big of a deal. You shop around and agree to a little higher deductible and it's not really that bad.

I forego having a brand new car to do this (I drive a 12 year old car) but ya know what? My health is more important than a new vehicle.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:04 pm

no need to explain that to me... I was arguing on behalf of those strong enough to get out there and do it on their own.

yvrtoyyz

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:10 pm

Ask LibTurdSlayer why liberals are so evil.

-YVRtoYYZ

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 56):
And how does this stop everyone from going to the doctor every time they have a bump? Or taking medicine (which half the time they don't need) just becasue they can easily get it?

It doesn't - that's what happens in France (and it's VERY expensive on the poor old contribuable ! They're trying to rationalise the system a little by at least restricting you to only one registered primary care physician, at least for non-urgent treatment.

I agree with Logan's basic tenet though, which is that healthcare should be provided by the state with the involvement of the employer. It's how it works in France, and it works very well (at a price).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Dougloid

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 66):
I really hate political labels, but these are just too good to pass up:

Conservitives don't read and liberals don't think.

Or,

A liberal becomes a conservative when he has children
A conservative becomes a liberal when he gets arrested.

Keep smiling,

Charles, SJ

Anyone who makes less than $100,00 a year is a Democrat whether he knows it or not.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

yowza

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm a through and through liberal but I'm voting conservative in the upcoming Canadian election becasue the liberal party in this country is a shambles.

YOWza

Dougloid

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 27):
btw: No, there is not much of a difference between America and most European countries...probably much clearer right now in the USA because of a strong trend of polarisation in American politics and insoceity in general, but nonetheless not much different to countries such as Germany or England.

Whoa there fella....that kinda talk is likely to get you mugged by your fellow Europeans-and then the 110 % Amurricuns would wipe up what remains.

Fact is, we're mostly just a few generations removed from where our people came from. It's liberating really.

I'm German American-my great grandfather and grandmother came from Lubben and i suspect I have quite a few shirttail cousins there. My mum's people were Irish Canadians, so I claim Nova Scotia as well as Donegal (Gallaghers ya know). My kids have all that as well as a soupcon of French Canadians in the family tree over on their side.

We're all mutts and mostly proud of it.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 74):
with the involvement of the employer.

...again, what about those brave enough to not need an employer?

Why do you types continually avoid that question??

ctbarnes

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 75):
Anyone who makes less than $100,00 a year is a Democrat whether he knows it or not.

I guess that makes me a Democrat since I may way, way less than $100k.  Wink

Charles, SJ

PS: Dear Hillary...  Big grin
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

RAMPRAT980

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 75):

Well I made 101k last year so I have some breathing room. If need be I guess i'll cash in those nickle deposits.
Honey. Get the car ready. Tomorrow is recycle day
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

IceTitan447

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 2):
B/c we really don't mind the gays, women, or any minority group

I think the problem with America is Answers like the one above. Liberals have typically flocked to democrats because they promise to help and take care of them. In MY OPINION, Dems think everyone deserves a fare share, or a slice of the pie. Conservatives think you work hard, you deserve more pie.

I have nothing wrong with Gays, keep it to yourself and nobody knows any better. Women, They do need a little help. Most employers walk all over women, that I don't like.or ANY minority group, earn your next promotion, not because of the color of your skin. Just work hard.

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 9):
Being liberal isn't bad...conservatives Are just scared of us, so they act like we're a virus instead of dealing with their own problems.

Liberals will most Always be against anything conservative, even if it is right. I wouldn't say your a virus, but to quote Michael Savage, it is a mental disorder. Smile This forum is a great example. There are, just a guess, 90% of the folks on this forum are liberal. Anyone venturing a guess on how many? And to answer the above sentence, Liberals are the problem Smile

Falcon84

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 81):
Liberals will most Always be against anything conservative, even if it is right

And visa-versa. What i get from that is you thing conservatives are almost always right. They're not.

I wouldn't say your a virus, but to quote Michael Savage, it is a mental disorder.

Actually, I see it as the other way around, to play devil's advocate: I see many conservatives as cold-hearted, war-hawking or sabre-rattling people; I see many of them with little or no compassion for other human beings; I see them as worshipping the almight $ and who feel protecting business is more important than helping people.

Not all conservatives fall into that category-just as not all liberals are in the extremist category that has come to define the word "liberal" in conservative circles.

I'll keep my mental disorder, if that's the way you look it it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:06 am

Conservatives think you work hard, you deserve more pie.

...or if you're a member of the Lucky Cumshot Club, you deserve to keep pie that you never baked.

(I'm not arguing this, just stating it)

IceTitan447

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 82):
Actually, I see it as the other way around, to play devil's advocate: I see many conservatives as cold-hearted, war-hawking or sabre-rattling people; I see many of them with little or no compassion for other human beings; I see them as worshipping the almighty $ and who feel protecting business is more important than helping people.

I wouldn't say the almighty dollar. Maybe the almighty Savior. Smile

No compassion for other human beings? No, I don't think our welfare system works. I don't think I should have to keep Tookie Williams alive for 20 years until his appeals run out. I don't think that war is a bad thing, those who enlisted or signed up knew there could be that chance to go to war. I support our troops 100%, and If you ever get the chance to talk with one, It isn't a fraction as bad as the media reports it is. I don't think illegals should be here, I think Vicinte Fox should be ashamed of his people and is supporting of border crossers.

So in short, I guess I will deal with being a God fearing, conservative American. Smile

Falcon84

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 84):
So in short, I guess I will deal with being a God fearing, conservative American.

Another myth: that liberals can't be God-fearing. I am. Although in the faith I grew up in, we were taught not to fear God, just the opposite. But you get my ponit.

Many conservatives act as if they have a corner on the faith thing. They don't. They just wear it on their sleeves more.
Work Right, Fly Hard

IceTitan447

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 85):
Although in the faith I grew up in, we were taught not to fear God, just the opposite. But you get my ponit.

You have it all wrong. How did you mis interpret this?

Joh 9:31 But we know that God does not hear sinners; but if any one be God-fearing and do his will, him he hears.
Another,
Re 14:7 saying with a loud voice, Fear God and give him glory, for the hour of his judgment has come; and do homage to him who has made the heaven and the earth and the sea and fountains of waters.
You might want to rethink the whole I don't fear god theory. God is all powerful, he created the heavens and the earth, he made you, and can destroy you. Rethink the God fearing part.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 85):
Another myth: that liberals can't be God-fearing.

Most aren't. You cant Fear God and accept abortion. I am pro-choice, as soon as the women decided to have sex, he choice goes right out the window. So in case you didn't understand that logic let explain. In order to live for Christ, you must live by his rules. I wont go into detail for I feel it would be lost on you. To make such Liberal text book responses on this topic leaves me to believe you either pick and choose what applies to you biblically, or you don't believe and only want to argue.

Nuff said, GO BEARS!

lesmainwaring

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 51):
Many are afraid for one reason: because the Gingrichs and Limbaughs of this nation have done a masterful job in perverting and bastardizing the meaning of liberal.

That's the only bad thing about being a liberal is the snow job that has been done on the name.

The Lester Mainwaring Party

Proud to be a liberal, and proud to be a card-carrying member of the ACLU
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 86):
as soon as the women decided to have sex, he choice goes right out the window.

...and for those pregnant women who did not decide to have sex, i.e., rape victims?

IceTitan447

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 88):
and for those pregnant women who did not decide to have sex, i.e., rape victims?

You gave such a liberal excuse. The % of women being raped, and raped by family members is less than 5% I believe. How do you account for this? Do you have another excuse?

The 5% came from the Presidential debates, when Kerry stuck his foot in his mouth trying to get Bush to slip on his beliefs. Silly liberals tricks are for kids.

Logan22L

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 78):
...again, what about those brave enough to not need an employer?

Why do you types continually avoid that question??

Sorry, I thought this thread had died. In my vision, everyone gets the same healthcare, employed, unemployed, self-employed. It's run by the government (a competent branch of the Gov't; if I can't find one, I'll create one). Some provision will have to be made on how small (very small) buisinesses support the healthcare subsidies. Hell, it all comes out of taxes anyway, so we structure it in a way that allows portions of self-employed people's business taxes to subsidize their healthcare. The money to doesn't go to other programs as a result will be re-distributed by the larger corporation's taxes.

Hell, I'm not an economist, I'm a Socialist.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

bhill

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Kinda like owning a Harley...If ya gotta ask, ya don't "get it"....plus...toss in the "Golden Rule"....

SPQR....

B
Carpe Pices

767Lover

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 90):
The money to doesn't go to other programs as a result will be re-distributed by the larger corporation's taxes.

What the aspiring writer means to say is, "The money THAT doesn't go to other programs...."

(Sorry, Log, I just couldn't resist!  wink