Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jafa39
Topic Author

Should Weed Be Decriminalised?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:58 pm

There is research (and direct evidence I have seen) that suggests weed, pot, dope, cannabis, causes long term psychological damage, especially when teenagers start the habit young.

Smoking weed from 12 or 13 (common in the UK) can arguably be deemed a major cause of "Chavness" and the increase in its usage is connected with young men failing at school, in jobs and relationships and generally becoming less effective contributors to society.

Also, Maoris have the highest lung cancer rate in the world, a reflection of a high weed usage across all sections of Maori society.

Without getting into a debate about alcohol, do a.netters believe (as i do) that the decriminalisation of weed is a misguided way forward and we should not be encouraging young people (or anyone else) to smoke the stuff.

So the question is, should weed be decriminalised?

[Edited 2006-01-07 06:23:08]
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ANCFlyer

RE: Should Weed Be Decriminalised?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 pm

In a word: NO.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Newark777

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

checkmark 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

3DoorsDown

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:11 pm

No way in hell.

POT: THE DUMBING DOWN OF THE WORLD

theCoz

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Thread starter):
There is research (and direct evidence I have seen) that suggests weed, pot, dope, cannabis, causes long term psychological damage, especially when teenagers start the habit young.

This is only true for the small segment of population who may already have a predisposition to a psychosis, such as schizophrenia.

Without getting into a debate about alcohol, do a.netters believe (as i do) that the decriminalisation of weed is a misguided way forward and we should not be encouraging young people (or anyone else) to smoke the stuff.

I can understand medical marijuana, but only with strict regulations.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 4):
I can understand medical marijuana, but only with strict regulations.

Good point, after all, Heroin and Cocaine have medicinal uses.

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:01 pm

People always refer to it as a gateway drug, but to be honest I think drugs like Antidepressants, painkillers & Ritolin are more gateway drugs than weed because they are prescribed willynilly for everyday use as a chemical way to feel good/balanced. The only people I've ever known that were into harder drugs were not into Weed first, they were into those kind of everyday drugs that people deem acceptable, but that people get addicted to. Weed does not addict in the same way, You could smoke on a spliff once every six months and not crave it in between times.

I don't do the stuff myself but I'm all about people being able to choose their own paths & living with the consequences of their actions so I say go the way of Holland & not necessarily legalise it, but don't charge people for it if they want to use it, however if they expect medical care then charge them 3 times as much as a nonsmoker/drug user. A simple blood test would be able to sort them out.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

dw9115

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 4):
This is only true for the small segment of population who may already have a predisposition to a psychosis, such as schizophrenia.

There is some new research about a year to nine months old that has proven repeat use and by repeat they mean three times will cause severe brain damage and like mentioned higher cancer rates in fact they put the number at fifty times higher then that of a cigarette smoker.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 5):
Good point, after all, Heroin and Cocaine have medicinal uses.

Marijuana actually has a very good medical use (I am not trying to condone using it, in fact the people that use illegally should get thrown in jail). The US Military actually tried using (late 50's) Ecstasy and the CIA tried using PCP as a truth agent it did not work exactly as planned (I know that's not really medical use).

ScarletHarlot

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Um, Andy dear, isn't there some saying about a pot, a kettle, and black?  Wink

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/jafa39/heavy.jpg
But that was when I ruled the world

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:40 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 8):
Um, Andy dear, isn't there some saying about a pot, a kettle, and black?

There is nothing wrong with a little inside knowledge, at least no one can accuse me of not knowing my subject  Smile

All that is a long while ago...... Smile

ScarletHarlot

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 9):
no one can accuse me of not knowing my subject

So it was okay for you, but not for today's yoofs?  Wink
But that was when I ruled the world

KevinL1011

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 pm

Airplane Glue is THEE gateway drug.
Yup.....all you A.netters, as a child, building your little airplane models.... sniffing the Testors...... dreaming about being the captain of your own DC-8..... preparing for the day you'll make your first post on a.net.....(snifffff!)

Then....you move on to more addicting, mood altering substances..... like caffeine. From there, cigarettes, beer, congiac.....

We need to put a tax on airplane glue and price it out of reach from children.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

DLKAPA

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 pm

The beauty of America's society: We can say one thing while doing the complete opposite. Take smoking and the campaign against for example: Smoking is perfectly legal, you can do it and not be thrown in jail for it. At the same time, in popular culture, it is not condoned or looked favorably upon. There are many groups who target youth with ads meant to steer them away from smoking, for example, truth.com. Smoking is not a liberal vs. conservative issue and neither is the campaign against it though they tend to be more liberal. So, why not legalize weed and treat it in the same fashion? Make it legal to posess and use but don't condone it in popular society. Same DUID laws, same "smoking in designated areas only" and make those areas not very attractive places to be in, and if the conservative right wants to, they can make their own ads targeting the youth trying to steer them away from the use of weed (And I'm not talking about Partnership for a Drug Free America, either. The "Partnership" ironically consists mostly of the Alcohol companies).
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

KyleLosAngeles

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:07 pm

Have you ever met anyone who's done weed for a couple of decades? You get the impression that they used to have some brain activity, but now they can't even complete a full sentence. Constant befuddlement.

I'm not sure I see it as a huge criminal thing, but it sure is a stupid thing to do to your mind.
Happy 2006

Brendan03

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:16 pm

NO It shouldn't - My friends mother was on pot, After a while your body gets used to it and you start wanting something stronger, usually those who start on pot end up going onto something stronger like Heroin, Cocaine, Speed and what not... If anything the laws on canabis should be made stronger, It seems like the police don't care about it anymore... It's more dangerous than people think, Alot of people say it isn't addictive but I can say from seeing many people that've gotten addicted to it that It's a load of rubbish!

One of my closest friends managed to get the strength to get off it and I'm quite proud (Especially seeing them spiralling downwards)
Coolier than thou.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 10):
So it was okay for you, but not for today's yoofs?

It wasn't Ok for me, that's why I stopped, it isn't OK for the friends I still have contact with who are still doing it nearly 30 years later, many of them are living in a time warp and are on the dole, armchair prophets I call them, never go anywhere, or do anything (can't afford it) yet know EVERYTHING!

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 14):
Alot of people say it isn't addictive

It is psychologically addictive, that is why it is so insidious, at least booze and heroin have the decency to make you feel like crap, in the beginning at least, although they do say it takes dedication to become a junkie.

And, just to add fuel to the fire, where is most weed grown, at least the stuff that europeans smoke?......It is grown in places ending in "stan" and the profits fund terrorism, and there's the dichotomy, peace loving weed smokers lining the pockets of men with beards and brown shoes, carrying AK47's.

Brendan03

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 15):
And, just to add fuel to the fire, where is most weed grown, at least the stuff that europeans smoke?......It is grown in places ending in "stan" and the profits fund terrorism, and there's the dichotomy, peace loving weed smokers lining the pockets of men with beards and brown shoes, carrying AK47's

don't hold me to this but I thought that was Opium (to make H) - In my experience with drugs so far, Most weed is grown locally in paddocks and backyards and isn't imported, Cocain is imported generally (The higher quality stuff) and Speed is usually made in local speed labs (You can usually tell them by the houses that have windows boarded up, people come and go alot and the house looks like it's never been maintained (I've never been in one but I've seen many that I've suspected) - The dealers... You can usually tell as they look like they're wasted and they're usually wearing leather jackets (Or expensive looking clothing) - Trashy looking pants and dirty nike sneakers (I'm very observant of things around me and I've been close to the stuff before)

(Edit): Please let me know if this post upsets or offends anyone in anyway

[Edited 2006-01-07 09:50:44]
Coolier than thou.

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 14):
Alot of people say it isn't addictive but I can say from seeing many people that've gotten addicted to it that It's a load of rubbish!

When I was in London most of my friends toked when they were out, and they would have it if it was on offer, but didn't crave it when it wasn't - for months on end - Compared to so many of our modern vices it is a nonentity. Caffeine, Nicotine and added sugar are far more addictive than weed ever is.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

QANTASforever

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Smoking weed from 12 or 13 (common in the UK) can arguably be deemed a major cause of "Chavness"

Oh lord, you can take the boy out of Britain...

QFF

P.S: Andy, don't tell me that pic is of you?!
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

KevinL1011

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 16):
The dealers... You can usually tell as they look like they're wasted and they're usually wearing leather jackets (Or expensive looking clothing) - Trashy looking pants and dirty nike sneakers (I'm very observant of things around me and I've been close to the stuff before)

Hey Jafa! The kid's seen your self pic.

Brendan03

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 17):
Caffeine, Nicotine and added sugar are far more addictive than weed ever is.

I'm an odd one with Nicotine, I can be craving a cigarette, have one and then not want one for ages - I guess I'm a social smoker - Sugar/Caffeine on the otherhand, I can't go 24 hours without (I'm sitting here drinking an ice coffee and I've got a cupboard full of chocolate in various forms)
Coolier than thou.

QANTASforever

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:59 pm

(Edit): Please let me know if this post upsets or offends anyone in anyway

Brendan, this is your opinion. If people get upset, that is their problem. Keep on truckin'.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Most weed is grown locally in paddocks and backyards and isn't imported,

In OZ and NZ that is true but in the UK they smoke a lot of re-pressed hash, or "solids" (mixed with Orris Root, whatever that is) it comes from the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal but what happens to it during the time the bearded ones manufacture it and the local dealer flogs it is quite worrying.

"Skunk" a hybrid and very potent "grass" is also popular and it is a mindfuck, at one point in Harrow it was directly linked to threats of suicide by young people.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 18):
P.S: Andy, don't tell me that pic is of you?!

Me when I was 19 and a Hell's Angel, taken 26 years ago!!!!

Brendan03

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 22):
In OZ and NZ that is true but in the UK they smoke a lot of re-pressed hash,

I'm sure most of the people that smoke that probably started off on the normal stuff and progress to something stronger which proves my earlier point - I do feel sorry for those who smoke it but It all comes down to the individual, We all have the chance to say 'No' - Anyone who stays on it only has themself to blame - What kind of existance is staying at home spending all your money on the stuff and never doing anything, I'm sure these people didn't grow up saying "When I grow up I want to be a vegetable/junkie!"
It's such a shame to see these lives go to waste
Coolier than thou.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:16 pm

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 19):
Hey Jafa! The kid's seen your self pic.

Sssshhhhhh!

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 23):
I'm sure these people didn't grow up saying "When I grow up I want to be a vegetable/junkie!"

Many have big plans that alas will always be dreams, I know one who in his 30's said:

"If a rich bloke would lend me a million quid for a year I'd be sorted", he then showed me very detailed plans as to what he would do with it...dealing drugs mostly!!

Brendan03

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 24):
Many have big plans that alas will always be dreams

Speaking for myself, Growing up I never had any dreams or plans, even now I'm still unsure of what I want to do and I'm nearly 20! - Unfortunatly my path did take me into Marijuana but Thankfully I saw what was happening, and as I previously mentioned saw my possible futures and snapped out of it, It definetly was a learning curve but I don't want people to go down the same path as I did without seeing where the path leads, To put it bluntly It's a horrible horrible thing, especially what you're doing to your body.

I'm not at all proud of what I did, infact I'm quite ashamed and wish I'd chosen a different path
Coolier than thou.

KevinL1011

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:24 pm

Dateline: New Zealand........
Former Hells Angel and drug king-pin known only as "Jafa39", testified at his trial today and recounted the events.....

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 22):
I smoke a lot of re-pressed hash, or "solids" (mixed with Orris Root, whatever that is) it comes from the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal but what happens to it during the time the bearded ones manufacture it and the local dealer flogs it is quite worrying.

Protesters gathered outside the courthouse demanding an apology from Mr. Jafa for his remarks on men with facial hair.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:36 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 25):
I'm not at all proud of what I did, infact I'm quite ashamed and wish I'd chosen a different path

Don't be ashamed because you did something that wasn't great, be proud of the fact you got it sorted!!

BTW I didn't have a clue about my future until i was in my early 30's than I started to think I didn't want a job, I wanted a career, plenty of time bro, life begins at 40 remember?

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 26):
Protesters gathered outside the courthouse demanding an apology from Mr. Jafa for his remarks on men with facial hair.

Mr Jafa released the following statement to the Pig Breeders Monthly (Dundein Edition)

"I refuse to apologise on the grounds that as usual I am right, i have a beard and some very nice people have beards too but it is unfortunate that the majority, if not all Al Qaeda dudes have beards.

I would also like to say that i do not belive that all men with moustaches are gay but the women with moustaches certainly are, either that or they don't own mirrors."

Mr Jafa is now in hiding, which is not a suburb of AKL.

KevinL1011

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:03 pm

In a related story....Mr. Jafa issued an apology to the Police Officers Union in a statement released today after his remarks about Gays on the police force.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 27):
I would also like to say that i do not belive that all men with moustaches are gay

greasespot

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Yes it shold be legalised....with a qualification..Only when they have a rleiable roadside test that they can administer on the roade to test for impaired driving....

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

RAMPRAT980

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

In two words : Never. Ever.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

yowza

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:27 pm

You mean it's illegal and I have been breaking the law all of these year? I simply don't beleive it.

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 3):
No way in hell.
POT: THE DUMBING DOWN OF THE WORLD

I smoke weed and yet I am a member of Mensa, have an engineering degree and speak 5 languages. It doesn't seem to be dumbing me down too much.

YOWza

rlwynn

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 29):
Yes it should be legalized....with a qualification..Only when they have a rleiable roadside test that they can administer on the roade to test for impaired driving....

They do. Here in Germany they have something that looks like an alcohol wipe like they use before you get an injection. If they wipe you and it turns color or whatever it does you are busted if driving. There is no quantitative basis for the pot & driving law like for alcohol. Either positive or negative. You could have smoked 2 days before and you would still be just as busted as if you took 10 bong hits the hour before. Which means no license for a few months.

And how anybody can rationalize how alcohol can be legal but not pot must be high.
I can drive faster than you

Sabena332

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 31):
I smoke weed and yet I am a member of Mensa, have an engineering degree and speak 5 languages. It doesn't seem to be dumbing me down too much.

Exactly! I know many people who work in high positions (a high-school teacher, a surgeon, a manager, etc.) and who smoke weed.

I would say that it is a question of how much you are smoking. It is actually no problem when you smoke two or three in the evening, afterwards you can go to bed and wake up on the next morning whithout having a "hangover".

On the other hand is it quite dangerous when the first thing you do after waking up is firing up the bong. I know a guy who was smoking all day long. Needless to say that he "fucked up" over the months, he forgot important things, he was mostly late for work and almost got fired, etc. Fortunately he reduced smoking weed drastically after he found a non-smoking girlfriend.

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 32):
You could have smoked 2 days before and you would still be just as busted as if you took 10 bong hits the hour before. Which means no license for a few months.

Exactly, these things do not show how much you smoked and when you smoked it, so they are pretty useless in my opinion. When someone smoked one joint on the evening before he gets busted, then he will probably lose his license despite he didn't drive under the influence of dope.

As for the original question: It should be legalized in my opinion but with a bunch of restictions. It should only be available in certain places (like the coffee-shops in Holland), it should only be given to people over 18 or even 21, everyone should not be able to buy more than - for example - five grams per week, people shouldn't be allowed to smoke it in public but only in their homes, etc.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

777236ER

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:08 am

No.

It's interesting that the ones who are most in favour of drug control tend to be hard-right Americans, hell bent on (some) libertarian ideas.
Your bone's got a little machine

Brendan03

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:12 am

Tricky Subject but how do you monitor how much people are buying? I do agree that old people who are ill should be able to use it for medicinal purposes but then when if it did get legalized in those manners, how do you stop it falling into the wrong hands? Again, Tricky subject.
Coolier than thou.

Sabena332

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 35):
Tricky Subject but how do you monitor how much people are buying?

A solution could be a country wide computer database with your "account", all places that sell dope must be forced to have a computer to access this database. It must be mandatory to show your ID card or passport before you want to buy something, then the shop owner can enter your name to see how much you already bought and if you are allowed to buy more.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Brendan03

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):
A solution could be a country wide computer database with your "account",

Hmm, You could be onto something there, It's a good idea but I doubt the government would impliment it, They'd just sit around on their buts whining about not getting tax out of it - I'm not really sure I'd want my name being on a register... but then again It'd be legal... I think if it was legal it'd be too easy to abuse, with or without the database, It's drugs, There'd be some goings on about getting more however it would be... The database would be a great way to get a 'taste' for the drug...
Coolier than thou.

xpat

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:24 am

"Legalize It" - A tribute to Peter Tosh.

I too, know many "respectable" people who still smoke pot and they have great careers, families, and all the trappings of middle/upper class success. I have never seen any of them lying in their own urine in some dark corner, bug-eyed and filthy.  sarcastic 

Also, I think the people who would fall into the "gloom and doom" categories outlined in various posts above, are possibly the same people who would have a propensity to abuse alcohol, prescription pills etc. anyway.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:06 am

Another reason not to legalize pot.......Cheech & Chong. Although they are only movie characters i'ved personally known a few people were just like them. talk about life imitating art.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

prosa

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am

I've got good news, and I've got bad news.

First the good news:
Ten thousand admitted marijuana smokers have signed a petition calling for immediate legalization.

Now the bad news:
No one can remember where the petition is.

biggrin 
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 40):
First the good news:
Ten thousand admitted marijuana smokers have signed a petition calling for immediate legalization.

Now the bad news:
No one can remember where the petition is.

drool uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DfwRevolution

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:55 am

1. Mensa is based on cognitive ability, not common sense.

2. Marijuana comes in varying degrees of potency and what you're smoking may be very different than the stuff you find on a street corner in Philly.

3. Study after study shows dramatic erosion of mental cognition with the use of marijuana.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 33):
Exactly! I know many people who work in high positions (a high-school teacher, a surgeon, a manager, etc.) and who smoke weed.

If you legalize marijuana for adults, it is much much easier for youth (whose brains are not yet fully developed) to think it's okay for them to smoke pot just a few years early. We already have enough kids on that shit as it is.

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 25):
To put it bluntly It's a horrible horrible thing, especially what you're doing to your body.

checkmark 

Democracy depends on an educated, intelligent, and rational electorate. We're already pushing those qualifications. The last thing we need is the legalization of another substance that will further dumb down society.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):
A solution could be a country wide computer database with your "account", all places that sell dope must be forced to have a computer to access this database.

Who would manage such a database? The Government? It's in their interest for people to be as dumb and nonchalant as possible. The Private Sector? It's in their interest to sell as much pot and make as much money.

The public does not win.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

lijnden

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 am

I think when it is legalized it should be legalized for everybody and taking out of the criminal control into the taxable access for everybody. Also nobody should complain when the pilot of your next flight or the doctor about to perform brain surgery on your relative lights up a joint. Or imagine just before a major trial the judge and members of the jury walking up to the 'medicine' vending machine to get some of the well-deserved coke because it might become late and they want to stay focussed. With samples like that in mind, legalizing drugs suddenly becomes in a different light to the people normally calling themselves liberal. Suddenly they become less liberal and want to limit certain people on certain jobs. (Basically taking away their rights to use drugs!) Really liberal! What about kids? What would be the legal drug-age? So, before screaming about legalizing drugs I suggest people first think about all the consequences for society, then visit a crack-baby in a hospital incuebator and attend the people one night in a methadon bus in the inner cities.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ATL-HND-ATL-ORF

dw9115

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:12 am

If you are smoking "weed" you can not be all that smart. You should look at the latest research because you are playing with fire.

DrDeke

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 am

1. Re: PROSA's comment: "Only users lose drugs."  bouncy 

2. Would one of the many of you who have claimed the existance of all these "scientific studies" "proving" that smoking marijuana makes one stupid and makes one turn to harder drugs and is highly addictive please provide a reference to the actual studies to which you are referring? I don't believe that any of these propositions have much, if any, solid evidence to support them.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

dw9115

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 45):
1. Re: PROSA's comment: "Only users lose drugs."

2. Would one of the many of you who have claimed the existence of all these "scientific studies" "proving" that smoking marijuana makes one stupid and makes one turn to harder drugs and is highly addictive please provide a reference to the actual studies to which you are referring? I don't believe that any of these propositions have much, if any, solid evidence to support them.

-DrDeke

Sure this was released by Harvard and has the links to the actual studies there are several and they are fairly long.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

skysurfer

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:06 am

Ok, i've been watching this debate for a while and have found favour with both sides.......so now it's time for me to pitch in.

Let me ask you a question:

Who has ever robbed or held up a grocery store or gas station whislt high on weed? I can't think of any instance that I PERSONALLY know of. Now u tell me how many people have held up stores whilst affected by alcohol?

Weed/Marijuana is an inhibitor.......it doesn't make people want to get up and be active, it makes them want to just stay where they are and feel great! Of course there are going to be exceptions, but pot is well known for making people more relaxed.

Weed has been proven to help symptoms of MS sufferers by relaxing muscles and stopping the sufferers from shaking, and its benefit is even more pronounced in people suffering from Parkinsons disease.

Bad side effects? Makes people that grow it quite wealthy if they are major dealers, can make some people actually anti-social, apparently we're being told that there is evidence of brain dysfunction.

So, let's put things into perspective. Are you against using Weed or whatever you call it as a form of treatment in the medical sense? If so, why do we give methadone to heroin users instead of just cutting them off? Why do junkies deserve treatment when people with real and more serious afflictions (ie, MS and Parkinsons) have to resort to esoteric means to get what they need?
Weed for pleasure...sure, i can see why it's illegal although personally i'm not against it. Do i do it? No, not anymore but i used to. Is weed more dangerous than alcohol? In my eyes NO it isn't.......like i said, only a tiny % of people get enraged whilst smoking weed compared to a huge % of people that consume alcohol. I now a few people are thinking 'well, alcohol is more readily available than weed is', but weed is WELL KNOWN to create 'passive' tendancies in people, that is , it 'chills ' the person out, so to speak.

So, am i for or against it? Well.............i have no problems with it for sure. I think for medicinal use it should be totally approved. For personal use......well, we have alcohol and tobacco. You tell me.

Cheers

Ps....I'm a horticulturist so believe me when i say i know plants and their effects, but please, all comments are welcome. Thank you
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

DrDeke

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 46):
Sure this was released by Harvard and has the links to the actual studies there are several and they are fairly long.

Thanks for the reference; I will look it over in depth and probably discuss my conclusions here once I have reached them. In the mean time, I would like to draw everyone's attention to a quote from the very first page of that website:

Quote:
many reputable scientific studies support the conclusion that cocaine, heroine, alcohol, and even cigarettes are more dangerous to the user’s health than marijuana

While that statement CERTAINLY does not claim that there are no health risks to smoking marijuana, it does suggest a certain parity (at worst) between the known health risks of smoking tobacco cigarettes and those of smoking marijuana.

Thus, if one accepts the quoted statement from your reference, one concedes that there is no greater health-related justification for criminalizing marijuana than there is for criminalizing tobacco cigarettes.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

jafa39
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 45):
I don't believe that any of these propositions have much, if any, solid evidence to support them.

The research I referred to was undertaken in NZ and reported in various papers and through govt depts, but the other evidence I have seen during 10 years as a youth worker and from direct, first-hand experience.

Pretty shallow trick to say "Show me the evidence", where's yours to say it is not unsafe? I'm not in denial, I have been there, done that and bear the scars, some of you would do well to listen but young people and pot-heads know it all don't they? Who are we older citizens to try and tell anyone anything? What have our decades of experience taught us??