Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prosa
Topic Author

Whoops, Not A Proud Moment For Women's Sports

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 am

WARROAD, Minn. -- The Warroad High School boys' team squeaked out a 2-1 victory over the U.S. Olympic women's hockey team Wednesday.

Story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2281644
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Newark777

RE: Whoops, Not A Proud Moment For Women's Sports

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:55 am

About 1,500 people turned out for the exhibition game, which was non-checking.

I wonder how big the lead would be if there was checking.

Is there checking in Olympic women's hockey games?

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
I wonder how big the lead would be if there was checking.

Checking wasn't allowed probably to keep the women players from being injured. If there was checking I doubt the womens team would have even scored a goal.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
Is there checking in Olympic women's hockey games?

Yes.

Of all the different sports I would say hockey is the toughest and most physically demanding. If a professional women's hockey team was unable to beat a simple high school team, then it's a blow to all womens professional sports teams. I mean loosing to a high school team and they want to play with men in a pro league. I would pay good money to see a tune up game between the U.S. womens olympic team and the worst team in the NHL. Checking allowed of course.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

L-188

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 2):
Checking wasn't allowed probably to keep the women players from being injured

More likely to keep the teenage boys from enjoying it......

Has the entire USA team even been assembled yet? They where still picking members two weeks ago?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Newark777

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 am

Of all the different sports I would say hockey is the toughest and most physically demanding.

I bet they would fare far worse in football.

Harry

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):
Has the entire USA team even been assembled yet?

Yes the team has been picked and Cami Granato along with a few other players from the last olympic team have not been selected. I find it rather odd that she wasn't selected.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 4):
I bet they would fare far worse in football.

So true Harry. But you never know after a few beers then they think they could take on the world.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

Newark777

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 5):
So true Harry. But you never know after a few beers then they think they could take on the world.

Haha, so true. Think of Ray Lewis taking on one of these women:

http://www.womensfootballassociation.com/

Wouldn't be pretty. Would make a nice part of those "nasty hits" highlight reels, though.

BTW Do you think any man would ever play for a team called the Pittsburgh Passion? Real intimidating.  Wink

Harry

RAMPRAT980

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 6):
Think of Ray Lewis taking on one of these women:

Ray Lewis. I don't wish any of them dead. However I have seen pee-wee football and personally I think a womens team has no chance, even against them.

jcs17

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 am

Warroad is pretty famous, at least up here in ND./MN., for always having some of the best high school hockey teams in Minnesota. That being said, womens sports will never be as entertaining as mens sports, except in volleyball and swimming  Smile . It's non-checking because womens hockey is played with very little to no checking. It's not because the Warroad guys wanted to get their paws on them... have you checked out what these girls look like?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

airbuzz

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 6):
Haha, so true. Think of Ray Lewis taking on one of these women:

http://www.womensfootballassociation.com/

Holy shit!

texan

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:31 pm

This is what happens when the egomaniacal coach and general manager from the US Olympic Women's Hockey Team decide not to invite the emotional and physical leader, the true legend of women's hockey, Ms. Cammi Granato, to even try out. She is the best women's hockey player in US history and they did not even bother to call her and advise her of what was happening with the team. I hope the coach and the GM are fired after this year.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

prosa
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
Warroad is pretty famous, at least up here in ND./MN., for always having some of the best high school hockey teams in Minnesota.

That does change things a bit. It would be rather shocking if the women's Olympic team lost to just any high school boy's team, but for them to lose to a very good high school team is somewhat easier to understand.
Still, though, this is an embarassing incident and a setback for women's sports. I doubt we'll see a similar stunt any time soon.

RAMPRAT980

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 11):
It would be rather shocking if the women's Olympic team lost to just any high school boy's team, but for them to lose to a very good high school team is somewhat easier to understand.

A team of professional players lost to a high school team. That should not happen anywhere/anyhow. Even if they played a great H.S. team they should have won the game. And there was no checking. Things do not look good for the U.S women's hockey team in Turin, Italy. Picture the U.S. Womens national soccer team not even invite Mia Hamm if she wasn't retired. Now I am convinced that professional womens sports is nothing more then entertainment like the WWF is. Fake.

prosa
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 12):
Now I am convinced that professional womens sports is nothing more then entertainment like the WWF is. Fake.

The inability of the women's Olympic team to defeat a high school boys' team does not mean that women's sports aren't real sports. It's like claiming that lightweight boxers aren't real athletes just because they can't defeat heavyweights. What the women's defeat does show is that holding a silly stunt like their game with the high school team is a pointless activity that cheapens the whole sporting experience.

[Edited 2006-01-08 18:59:41]

RAMPRAT980

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 13):
It's like claiming that lightweight boxers aren't real athletes just because they can't defeat heavyweights.

Very true PROSA. However it's the heavyweight that lost to the lightweight.

beefer

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:28 am

Wow, you guys are blowing this thing way out of proportion.

First of all, body checking is NOT allowed in Women's hockey. To my knowledge, is has never been allowed in High School or College leagues and I believe it has been banned in International play since 1990. That explains why checking was not allowed; the Women don't play that sort of game.

Warroad High School is consistently one the best High School teams in Minnesota. Warroad, also known as "Hockeytown, USA" is the defending Class A state champions. This little town of 1800 people along the Canadian border has produced SIX Olympic Meadalists in Hockey. I don't think there is any other town (of that size) in the World that can say that. The Warroad High School team could probably beat a lot of Divison II and III college teams.

Obviously, this game was not held as a PR stunt and this certainly wasn't an attempt to pad their statistics by running over some poor high school team. They wanted a game against a high quality opponent in addition to honoring the town of Warroad for all they have done for the game of Hockey.

Check out this story from the Minneapolis StarTribune which does a nice job of explaining the reasons for this game a little better:

http://www.startribune.com/120/story/164082.html

Personally, I would have been quite surprised if the Women's team had won the game. The biggest worry many had was that the no-checking rule would disrupt the boy's game. To their credit, the boys adjusted nicely and they made up for it with their speed.

By the way, this is not the first time that a Team USA Women's squad has lost to a high school team. The Women routinely play Minnesota High School girls teams and Team USA has lost before. I suppose you could say that shows the level of hockey which is played in Minnesota High Schools.

I understand that the game was newsworthy because it was a Women versus Men (boys) matchup. I do think, however that the fact that the Women lost is sort of a non-story. Especially if you put this game in the proper context.

RAMPRAT980

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Beefer (Reply 15):
To my knowledge, is has never been allowed in High School or College leagues

Dude are you sure because I went to a H.S. League game, last week, and there were open ice checks. Also I have seen a men's college championship game and & I am 99.9999% sure that there was checking too.

The bottom line is they lost to a boys team(great, good or mediocur), they lost. Failure is not an option.

beefer

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 16):
Dude are you sure because I went to a H.S. League game, last week, and there were open ice checks. Also I have seen a men's college championship game and & I am 99.9999% sure that there was checking too.

You do realize that we are talking about Women's hockey here. If you go back and read that paragraph again I think I made it very clear that I was referring to Women's hockey.

Of course checking is allowed in the Mens/Boys game. I believe the only leagues on the Male side which do not allow checking are down at the PeeWee type level. Yeah, I've seen body checks in high school games which would make the highlight reel if they had occurred in College or the NHL.

Alessandro

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Sports is entertainment, the number of spectators are the most important thing, not the result.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

jafa39

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Of all the different sports I would say hockey is the toughest and most physically demanding.

I think Lacrosse is on a par, they launch the ball at head height!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Newark777

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 18):
Sports is entertainment, the number of spectators are the most important thing, not the result.

Someone's obviously not a sports fan. Thanks for the useless post.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 19):

I think Lacrosse is on a par, they launch the ball at head height!!

They hit the ball pretty hard in field hockey too, doesn't mean it's a "tough" sport. And men's lacrosse players wear pretty large helmets, and women don't, but it's also non-contact.

Harry

RAMPRAT980

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 20):
Someone's obviously not a sports fan. Thanks for the useless post.

You beat me to the punch

AR1300

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 18):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin