Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:01 am

I suffer from a severe Lufthansaphobia, but I can live with it.  Wink

Patrick

afconcorde1

RE: Phobias - What Are You Afraid Of?

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 52):
I'm sorry, I only speak English!

If I tell you my phobias, then it will give you an idea for future revenge should it be necessary.  duck 

babybus

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:38 am

Two things scare me death; seeing ships out of water (like in dry dock) and fish.  faint 

Weird, I know.

[email protected]

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:02 am

Heights, i.e looking down from a tall building. Never been scared of flying though, and never will be.

Deep water - swimming pools are fine, but drop me in the ocean or sea and i'd have a panic attack. It's the fear of the unknown, not knowing what's "down there" beneath the water. Watching Jaws might have something to do with it.

LeonB1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting Lordanmol (Reply 39):
NJECTIONS.

I had to take 8 injections once cause the doctor would put the needle in and I would cry out as loud as I can and she would have to take it out again.

You're not alone on that one, absolutely can't stand needles. Had some not-so-nice experiences as a child. Firstly, my GP who wanted to give me a blood test (I was about 8 or 9) and he missed my vein about five times, but wouldn't give up. Then a dentist who was visibly terrified of the procedure he was about to carry out (when I was maybe 12), seeing severely shaking hands coming towards you to administer four injections is not at all reassuring.

Now I need to find a way to get over it!

civ4b2fan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:47 pm

I would definitely say that it would be heights and flying insects. But I just wonder how any male could have the phobia where they are afraid of beautiful women.

scamp

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:47 am

Heights...

...oh...and Jesus' "followers." You know, like, Falwell, Robertson, and that used tampon on two feet out in Kansas that holds "hate rallies" at gay people's funerals. Not to mention a few of the same that haunts A-net.

United_fan

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Spiders

Heights

Boat propellers! (no shit)

civ4b2fan

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 am

if there could be one How bout the fear of taking cobol class

frequentflyer

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:53 am

Left-wing liberals  bomb 
 laughing 

3DoorsDown

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 56):
Deep water - swimming pools are fine, but drop me in the ocean or sea and i'd have a panic attack. It's the fear of the unknown, not knowing what's "down there" beneath the water. Watching Jaws might have something to do with it.

I was flyfishing once in a float tube on a lake in the Sanjuan Islands (WA-USA). A lake I had never been on before. I was out around the middle of it, and something swam up and bumped into my legs 7 times. I never did find out what it was. I assume a fish, but it was a big one if it was.

Injections and giving blood.
I am also beginning to suffer, the closer we get to 2008, from Hillaryphobia. Kiss your paychecks good by, because we will have to raise the freakin' village.

3DD

aireuropeuk733

Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:28 pm

I have a fear of hospitals.

It doesn't even have to be me who's ill.

I remember visiting my sister when I was very young and I almost passed our just sitting on the bed!

It's the clinical smell and the shiny white floors that do it. I think it is also the fear that if I ever have to go to hospital I'm gonna be very ill and never come out. Stupid I know, but hey, that's me  Wink

AE733

skywatch

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:24 pm

My Phobias:

Fear of Vomiting
Fear of being alone for extended periods (weeks, months, years...)
Fear of the dark....I am trying to get over it, but I am somewhat frightened of things that are unknown or uncertain.
Fear of slow painful death

I have no fear whatsoever of open heights. I have crawled on hands and knees to look over the edge of the Citadel Fort in Haiti (If I would have fallen off, a 100+ft drop and rocks awaited me) I get up on my roof all the time to watch air traffic. Bugs don't scare me, although the suddeness in which rodents appear sometimes freaks me out.

---Skywatch

redngold

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm afraid of any living creature that has more than four legs. One time a picture of a "house caterpillar" displayed on a computer screen made me nearly jump out of my skin. I think this comes from too many spiders on the walls in my childhood home, and the fact that house caterpillars can run waaaaay too fast.

I'm afraid of drowning in dark water; that is, any water deep or cloudy enough that I cannot see the bottom. This also means that I have difficulty swimming in pools that have black lane lines painted on the bottom, because it creates the illusion that there is no bottom.

I'm afraid of heights when I'm in an exposed location. Driving in a car over a high bridge is not a problem if we keep moving. Walking over a high bridge on a sidewalk with a gapped rail is a problem. Sitting on the benches in the window wells of the WTC observation deck (r.i.p.) was a problem. I think this comes from a tendency towards vertigo.

I'm also afraid of step stools. Ladders aren't a problem because I can hold onto the legs as I'm stepping down. Step stools and short step ladders that have no handles are a problem. I think this comes from too many sprained ankles.

My worst fear is dying with nobody around, because I'm afraid people will think I committed suicide. I've never attempted suicide, I don't intend to commit suicide... but there have been times I've thought I was going to die (anxiety attacks) and I actually wrote what I call "the anti-suicide note." Luckily I haven't felt like that in a long time.

CanadianNorth

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:16 pm

With heights I hate them just standing on my own but as long as I have something to hold onto (even just a rope or something) I love them.

Needles, Whenever I actually see a needle going into a person I feel like i'm going to loose my lunch right there. But when I get needles as long as I close my eyes or look away or something I barely notice it.

Not being able to get out and go places on my own. I'm just one of those people who always wants to be out seeing new places and trying new things. In an accident or something I'd rather just die there than have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair or something like that.

Conservatives. I just don't like them don't agree with them and don't trust them.

Driving in heavy traffic with lots of pedestrians. Just too much shit to hit. But on quiet roads and out on the highways and that I love to drive.

CanadianNorth

UAalltheway

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:17 pm

I knew a family friend that had a fear of bald men.. can't remember the actual name for it though. Whenever she'd see a bald man she had a panick attack..

BNE

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 9):
Dont laugh but

Jellyfish!!

BP777

Yes I have that fear as well;

heres one that I found.

Anuptaphobia: Fear of staying single.  Sad

Brendan03

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 43):
I'm scared of big spiders and don't like open areas where I can fall...

Same here... I killed 4 white tail spiders (Quite venemous, If they bite you, they leave a very nasty scar) in 10 minutes the othernight when It was really hot... 1 in the kitchen on the roof above the fridge, one above the loungeroom computer and 2 in my room *shudder* - I also get vertigo standing on the edge of a sheer drop and there's nothing between me and the drop (Glass only counts as nothing!)

flyingbabydoc

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:02 pm

This is my phobia:

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Nature/Animals/GreatWhite.jpg

Thanks to the film jaws when I was 7 years old...

Alex

Aviation

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 43):
I'm scared of big spiders and don't like open areas where I can fall...

I am exactally the same as you.  Wink

Cheers,

Jamie757

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Aviation (Reply 72):
I am exactally the same as you.

Please don't say that!  frown 

Rgds.  Smile

CVG777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Domatophobia: Fear of being in a house.

We had a guy where I live whose house burned down and killed his family (wife and kids). Since then he refused to live inside a house, instead living like a homeless person even though he has plenty of money.

For me:

Spiders, Scorpions, Jellyfish with long tentacles

Heights - Like most, airplanes and having something to hold on to are okay. Hovever open ledges way up high bother me. I too think that it is like mentioned above in Reply 29 by ScarletHarlot, becuase for me it is more of the fear of losing control and flinging myself over. I don't know why though.

United_fan

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 am

Yeah,spiders . When I was in Hawaii, I saw some who were bigger than my hand! The body was almost the size of my fist (estimation of course,didn't want to go anywhere near it).
Snakes! I was watching a show where a guy and girl just walked up and grabbed a freakin 15' python. They were talking about how bad the bite would be .

Heights (unsecured) I don't mind airplanes,though. But there's no way I'de jump out of one unless it's gonna crash! Another example;there use to be an old open-steel drawbridge over the Genesee River in Charlotte. We walked across it,and you could see the river probably 40 feet down thru the grate. After the fireworks,I wouldn't walk back across the bridge to the car. I had to wait for my mom to come and get me.
Also,for some reason,large ship props scare me . When I visit the Queen Mary in Long Beach,there is a section of the hull cut out where you can walk outside the hull and see the prop. Sometimes its turning . It's like 30' across. Scares the crap out of me!

imgscr=

Aviation

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 73):
Please don't say that!

Yeh, lol

Cheers,

gunsontheroof

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Potato salad...seriously.

scamp

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 75):
Also,for some reason,large ship props scare me . When I visit the Queen Mary in Long Beach,there is a section of the hull cut out where you can walk outside the hull and see the prop. Sometimes its turning . It's like 30' across. Scares the crap out of me!

It's funny you should mention that. I felt the same way when I first saw it, too. What is it about that prop that is just creepy as all get out?

United_fan

Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:37 am

Scamp,it's probably because I thought about all those poor souls who got sucked into them when the Queen t-boned the HMS Curacoa .

http://www.gettysburgghosts.net/queenmary.htm

jafa39

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:02 pm

Put me down for Ergophobia  Wink

There wasn't one for "fear of unfairness", must ask my Doc.....