Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetjack74
Topic Author

Oprah Tells Frey: I Feel Duped.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:12 am

NEW YORK -- In a stunning switch from dismissive to disgusted, Oprah Winfrey took on one of her chosen authors, James Frey, accusing him on live television of lying about "A Million Little Pieces" and letting down the many fans of his memoir of addiction and recovery.
"I feel duped," she said Thursday on her syndicated talk show. "But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."

BooHoo for her. Well Oprah, maybe you should learn to choose items for that silly "Book of the Month Club" a little more carefully instead of rushing to sell it before you can verify it's validity, you money whore.
http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=2135841=7654>
Made from jets!

dl021

RE: Oprah Tells Frey: I Feel Duped.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:18 am

Well....she does seem fairly honest in what she says. She stood up before her audience and apologized, and I think that the asschewing in public she gave whatshisname should get her audience back on her side, if they left. I'd be pissed if I was her.
She may want to spend more time vetting the non-fiction books before she puts them on the list. The more outrageous a book is the less likely it is that it's complete fact.

As far as her book of the month club goes, I know of a couple of women who started reading more because of her club.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

stlgph

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:18 am

In other news, the book continues to be on the best seller list and the kickbacks Oprah will still be receiving over promotion of the book will be enough to buy a large island off of Borneo in good time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Gilligan

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:24 am

Anybody who buys a book based on what a talk show host says ought to feel duped.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

luv2fly

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
BooHoo for her. Well Oprah, maybe you should learn to choose items for that silly "Book of the Month Club" a little more carefully instead of rushing to sell it before you can verify it's validity, you money whore.

I have to say for once I agree with you 110%
You can cut the irony with a knife

Aleksandar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:03 am

There's more on that on Larry King Live right now.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

ctbarnes

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:06 am

Could have been worse. Could have been Dr. Phil.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

kiwiinoz

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:10 am

In reading this book, whilst aware that it was based on fact, I never for once believed that it would be a word for word accurate account. This guy went through some interesting experiences, for sure but to sell books I'm sure a little colour was needed. I assume this to be the case with most autobiographies.

I never saw the Oprah episode in question when she endorsed the book, so maybe at the time it was sold as factual, word for word. If it wasn't, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

She's just a talk show host, no big deal.

PIA777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 1):
Well....she does seem fairly honest in what she says

Was she honest to the author as to why he was coming back to the show?
I heard he seemed surprised at what Oprah said. I think she set him up
today.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

PIA777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:06 pm

One other thing, once that Authors 15 minutes are up and the book is not a best seller anymore, he will sue Oprah, I don't know why but he will. I just have that feeling.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

Aleksandar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Well, if she helped him to sell more books and get all the publicity and he embarassed her, it is much better for him to show up in the show. In the long run, Oprah is in much better situation because she confronted him with evidence while his career as a writer is pretty much over.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Superfly

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:30 pm

Jetjack74:
Umm, why are you watching Oprah?
I thought you were cooler than that.
Bring back the Concorde

Aleksandar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 pm

What I don't understand about all this is why is it so important after all? Who can really believe that a former addict would be completely honest in his memoirs?

I used to study history here and one of the things I've learned about memoirs is "READ THEM WITH EXTREME CAUTION AND NEVER TRUST THEM COMPLETELY".

So, is it all about Frye lying or is it about embarassing Oprah?
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

luv2fly

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 12):
So, is it all about Frye lying or is it about embarassing Oprah?

Bottom line, my opinion, embarrassing Oprah!

PIA777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Something about the Books cover grosses me out. Looks like someone
with some sort of disease where they would get some sort of pimples
all over their body. I noticed a lady reading the book on a flight from
YHZ to EWR.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

jetjack74
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Umm, why are you watching Oprah?
I thought you were cooler than that.

Saw it on the MSN hompage, looked like it was worth posting.
Made from jets!

Aleksandar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 15):
Saw it on the MSN hompage, looked like it was worth posting.

Hey, there's no need to be ashamed.  Wink So, are you an Oprah fan? Big grin
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

jetjack74
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 16):
So, are you an Oprah fan?

I guess there's no sense in denying it anymore. footinmouth  What would my mum and dad think? I'm so ashamed
Made from jets!

AA777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Who cares if she feels duped? Take the book off of her book club list. People lie about things all the time. Doesnt make it right, but get over it. Move on with your life. I dont understand the public outrage.... he LIED. Well so do tons of people. Presidents, celebrities, politicians, lawyers and more.... Move the damn book to the fiction section... it will still be a good semi-true story. lol.... no, its not ok to lie. But, I really dont think this is worth all the hype.

-AA777

jetjack74
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting AA777 (Reply 18):
.... Move the damn book to the fiction section... it will still be a good semi-true story. lol.... no, its not ok to lie. But, I really dont think this is worth all the hype.

I think it was a whole lot of grandstanding myself. Nothing new. Oprah and her publicity stunts disguised as chivalry and charity. This was her scheme to say: Look world, i'm confronting the perpetrator. Him going on the show, gave her the vindication she thought she needed. It's just some celeb pandering.
Made from jets!

aaflt1871

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:38 pm

A money whore who gives millions and millions to charities all throughout the year, each and every year.

Sorry, I don't agree with you on that part of your statement.
Where did everybody go?

jetjack74
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 20):
A money whore who gives millions and millions to charities all throughout the year, each and every year.

Please, I have a hard time believing her charity with all the backdrop she beacons. it seems as everytime she does something, she brings along a camera crew along for the exposure. I have much more respect fo those who give without wanting the attention.
Made from jets!

MD-90

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 7):
She's just a talk show host, no big deal.

She's one of the most powerful people in America. She has millions of extremely dedicated viewers.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 21):
I have much more respect fo those who give without wanting the attention.

Those people don't have billions like Oprah does, and she contributes an enormous amount of money every year to charities.

luv2fly

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 20):

Sorry, I don't agree with you on that part of your statement.

See how much she actual gives that she does not turn into a news story to promote Oprah!

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 21):
Please, I have a hard time believing her charity with all the backdrop she beacons. it seems as everytime she does something, she brings along a camera crew along for the exposure. I have much more respect fo those who give without wanting the attention.

Agree 110%, look at the late Mrs. Kroc the wife of McDonald's founder and all the money she gave to the flood victims of North Dakota! It was years before anyone knew it was her that gave the money!

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 22):
She's one of the most powerful people in America. She has millions of extremely dedicated viewers.

She is rich I will give you that, do not confuse money with power!

daedaeg

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 19):
I think it was a whole lot of grandstanding myself. Nothing new. Oprah and her publicity stunts disguised as chivalry and charity. This was her scheme to say: Look world, i'm confronting the perpetrator. Him going on the show, gave her the vindication she thought she needed. It's just some celeb pandering

Hmmm sounds like someone is just jealous.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:53 am

Well Oprah, maybe you should learn to choose items for that silly "Book of the Month Club" a little more carefully instead of rushing to sell it before you can verify it's validity, you money whore.

She's done more for the world than your punk ass, the least of which is getting middle America to read something other than US Weekly.
I don't take responsibility at all

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 25):
She's done more for the world than your punk ass, the least of which is getting middle America to read something other than US Weekly.

exactly. while you may mock her "little book club" you need to understand the amazing thing she has done by getting so many people across the country to pick up an actual book and read. she has done more for the publishing industry the past few years than anyone else.

as for james frey, while i do not at all support his total fabrication of a "memoir" i do find the book great. i read it when i first came out years ago and was SHOCKED oprah would select something like this for her club, but again was very excited she was introducing this type of literature to mainstream america.

it is a good book, and if you read it as a novel, it still maintains a certain gravitas that only a good novelist could create.

Logan22L

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 23):
look at the late Mrs. Kroc

And I thought she was just a drunk!  Wink

The subject of veracity has become more in the limelight what with Mike Barnicle's plagiarism, Dan Rather's stories about W's military service, reports of survivors in the WV mine disaster, and books such as Frey's. Not that stretching or even breaking the truth hasn't been around forever, but in this day of "instant" information, it is not only easy to be fed a mis-truth quickly, but it should also be fairly easy to de-bunk a book as a lie just as rapidly.

My advice? Read Fyodor Dostoevsky, Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, John Fante, Charles Bukowski, Henry Miller, Vladimir Nabokov...
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 27):
Read Fyodor Dostoevsky, Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, John Fante, Charles Bukowski, Henry Miller, Vladimir Nabokov...

Have you verified that everything they've written is 100% honest?

Logan22L

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):
Have you verified that everything they've written is 100% honest?

No, because it isn't. You missed my point entirely.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Aleksandar

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 27):
Albert Camus, Franz Kafka,

checkmark  Good choice  thumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 29):
No, because it isn't. You missed my point entirely.

I was agreeing with you, in a poorly written way. I don't think Oprah is to blame at all here--it's not her job to verify the veracity of a book. Everyone should be able to assume that if the author and publisher call a book a biography, autobiography, memoir, etc, that it is indeed true. If I were Oprah, I wouldn't take this personally at all; I'd simply say "Well it's a fantastic book (or not) regardless of whether it's truth or fiction". Anyone who tries to drag her through the mud for this is weak.

WellHung

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 31):
I don't think Oprah is to blame at all here--it's not her job to verify the veracity of a book. Everyone should be able to assume that if the author and publisher call a book a biography, autobiography, memoir, etc, that it is indeed true. If I were Oprah, I wouldn't take this personally at all; I'd simply say "Well it's a fantastic book (or not) regardless of whether it's truth or fiction". Anyone who tries to drag her through the mud for this is weak.

Indeed. You have the author up there lying through his teeth and people like Jetjack74 blame Oprah? Not sure how that works. It's 'worth posting' just so he can bash her. Guess he just doesn't like the fact that a black woman has become infinitely more successful than he could ever dream. Sad, but true.  Sad

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 32):
Indeed. You have the author up there lying through his teeth and people like Jetjack74 blame Oprah? Not sure how that works. It's 'worth posting' just so he can bash her. Guess he just doesn't like the fact that a black woman has become infinitely more successful than he could ever dream. Sad, but true.

No I bash her for not verifying the book before putting it on her book peddling operation. I could care less what her skin colour is, BTW. But that's a cheapshot that is to be expected from a simple mind like yourself. Sad, but true?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 25):

Uh-huh. She sits in little (big)mansion writing checks. Writers cramp is a bitch, isn't it. Dude, get with it, just because she donates alot money to charities, doesn't make a case for her sainthood. Her shit stinks just as bad as everyone else's. I donate money to charities during the year too, but I don't go around letting everyone know, or issuing press releases of what i'm donating. I point to these shows that Oprah does where she sets up a low income mom with a home, and showcases it on national television. It means more when gifts are given in anonimity. It shows the heart behind the gift. I point to what Atlanta Falcon's running back, Warrick Dunn does. His "Home For the Holidays" charity, that gives low income, single moms, a down payment, a low interest home loan on a new home, a turkey with all the trimmings every Thanksgiving. But there's a catch, the recipient has to attend a financial planning course(the cost is paid for by Dunn). He's been doing this since his 2nd year in the NFL. Hardly anyone knew about it until about 2 years ago, because he did this without any self-promotion, and didn't put his name on it. Two examples of charity, one who prefers to devote the attention to the charity, and one who devotes attention to "popping champaign corks" over theirs. Be pissed over my assesment, but my criticisms are valid.

Quoting VSLover (Reply 26):
exactly. while you may mock her "little book club" you need to understand the amazing thing she has done by getting so many people across the country to pick up an actual book and read. she has done more for the publishing industry the past few years than anyone else.

Why should people have to be told to read? Just go to local bookstore, and pick up a book, for crying out load. This is the insanity in this world, where we credit people for inspiring people to read when it's something they can do on there own? I can see this point if we're talking about youngsters, but we're not, we're talking about grown adults. We're talking about a woman who's promoting a book, that #1 seems to sensationalise an alleged criminal's life(turned out to be mostly false), #2 made police officers out to thugs, and #3 was all a pack of lies. Where is the accountability for those who unwittingly promote garbage like this. This was just an attempt to save her own reputation, throws Frey under the bus, and leaves the scene in her getaway vehicle. She too, should be held accountable for what she has done.

Part of my criticisms of Oprah go back to the Hurricane Katrina debacle where she, and mayor "bustrip" Nagin strolled through the Louisana Superdome, and letting Nagin put out false claims about children being raped, which never happened, and police officers indiscrimanantely killing black people. All Lies, and she escapes from it scott free. And to this day, she hasn't "CONFRONTED" him on this. Why? Why as she not ambushed him over these falasies? She does rushes to anything that has the potential to rake in the ratings and the adoration/glorification. Has nothing to do with her being black or a woman, or anything. It has to do with her own accountability. You want to glorify her fame when she donates, but you should also be angry when she's a part of deception. A simple,"i'm sorry" doesn't cut it.
People are not in love with Oprah, they're in love with her image.

[Edited 2006-01-27 20:49:52]
Made from jets!

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 33):
I can see this point if we're talking about youngsters, but we're not

trickle down effect. you get the mom to read, hey, she'll be in the bookstore more frequently and that will only encourage her to buy more crap for her kids to read as well.

Where is the accountability for those who unwittingly promote garbage like this.

umm, have you been reading about the james frey controversy over the past month? that is what the ENTIRE ISSUE is about.

She should be held accountable for what she has done.

wow, its as though you cant see the forest through the trees. this debacle has more to do with the industry as a whole rather than what oprah herself has done. she selected a book and based on an established system in which books are categorized this book was sold as a "memoir." oprah did not creat the system, oprah does not publish the book. she simply read the book and like the other millions who read it found it to be a fantastic work. NOW, the issue is with the publishing industry that insisted on this work being a memoir when it increasingly appears to not be the case.

nan talese actually had a point because fact checking and "recollected stories" is what IS the difference between autobiography and memoir.

granted i think the author is a totally irresponsible idiot, but books of that sort simply are not fact-checked, and that's the way it is. did anybody DIE because of this? not that we know of.

who unwittingly promote garbage like this.

have you actually read the book? it is a great novel, and until you actually read it, or publish something to gain higher critical praise than this book initially had, then you have no basis for judgement.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 34):
trickle down effect

And the trickle down effect can be interpreted into relying on a talk-show host for guidance on self-esteem.

umm, have you been reading about the james frey controversy over the past month? that is what the ENTIRE ISSUE is about.

Yes, from the source, TSG
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

wow, its as though you cant see the forest through the trees. this debacle has more to do with the industry as a whole rather than what oprah herself has done. she selected a book and based on an established system in which books are categorized this book was sold as a "memoir." oprah did not creat the system, oprah does not publish the book. she simply read the book and like the other millions who read it found it to be a fantastic work. NOW, the issue is with the publishing industry that insisted on this work being a memoir when it increasingly appears to not be the case.

nan talese actually had a point because fact checking and "recollected stories" is what IS the difference between autobiography and memoir.

"she selected a book and based on an established system in which books are categorized this book was sold as a "memoir." oprah did not creat the system, oprah does not publish the book."

She promoted a book, as a true account, on her book trolley. People bought the book, under false pretenses, thinking it was real, and now the keys point in the "story", are false. That bears some responsibilty. The book is still raking in money. But she attacks this guy, on her show, who wrote book, and now she's scrambling to recover her reputation. She's part of the problem.

have you actually read the book? it is a great novel, and until you actually read it, or publish something to gain higher critical praise than this book initially had, then you have no basis for judgement.

No and I don't plan on it. I'm not commenting on the content of the book itself, i'm commenting on Oprah's self-serving appeal to deflect attention. I can say it's trash, because to core of it was promoted as truth, and it comes out that it's not. It's trash, mate. When it comes out on the bookshelves as a fictional story, then I may read the book. Then i'll comment on the story itself.
Made from jets!

prosa

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 31):
Everyone should be able to assume that if the author and publisher call a book a biography, autobiography, memoir, etc, that it is indeed true.

What contributed to this deception is the fact that book publishers generally do not fact-check materials submitted as nonfiction. They will review the materials for potential libel issues, which was not a problem with Frey's submission because he did not use real names, but they do not attempt to determine whether the author's statements of fact are actually true.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 36):
What contributed to this deception is the fact that book publishers generally do not fact-check materials submitted as nonfiction. They will review the materials for potential libel issues, which was not a problem with Frey's submission because he did not use real names, but they do not attempt to determine whether the author's statements of fact are actually true.

Which is another good point
Made from jets!

yowza

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:38 am

Oprah is an idiot. Anyone who reads a book because she said so is also an idiot. End of story.

YOWza

[Edited 2006-01-27 21:47:42]

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 38):
Anyone who reads a book because she said so is also and idiot. End of story.

well, yes. and they are still the people who control the red states, and look at our government, QED.

luv2fly

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:40 am

Oprah is a idiot. Anyone who reads a book because she said so is also and idiot. End of story.

Well said and we should end it here. You said it perfectly and hit the nail on the head.

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 35):
Yes, from the source, TSG
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive....html

damn, i didnt even read more than a page of the smokinggun expose!

respectfully, i am talking about the larger press coverage and now what is considered to be a "backlash" and "causing waves" in the publishing industry as a whole. oprah was simply a puppet of the system.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:43 am

Oprah is a idiot. Anyone who reads a book because she said so is also and idiot. End of story.

Sounds like a good diagnosis to me,

Signed,
James Frey
Made from jets!

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 36):
What contributed to this deception is the fact that book publishers generally do not fact-check materials submitted as nonfiction.

And somehow, back in April 2003, the New York Times had already heard it was originally submitted as fiction, not non-fiction, and said so in their review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/21/bo...510800&en=84802c440f144500&ei=5070

"Mr. Frey is reported to have originally presented this material as a novel when he looked for a publisher."
International Homo of Mystery

stuckinMAF

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:06 am

you money whore.

checkmark 

Oprah is an idiot. Anyone who reads a book because she said so is also an idiot. End of story.

checkmark 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:30 am

No I bash her for not verifying the book before putting it on her book peddling operation

That's not her job. Give it up. We know you hate her, don't go grasping at straws trying to impugn her for something over which she has no control.

did anybody DIE because of this? not that we know of.

Please, don't let your obtuse, irrational, unusual hatred of Oprah cloud your judgement.

Just go to local bookstore, and pick up a book, for crying out load.

It doesn't work that way. America does not read.

she's a part of deception

Well then every critic that has ever recommended a book with out researching the whole background of the book is guilty. Like I said, we know you hate Oprah and that's fine. Don't make mountains out of absolutely nothing.

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 45):
Please, don't let your obtuse, irrational, unusual hatred of Oprah cloud your judgement.

girl, oprah is the best. if anything i would hope people could at least walk away with the most basic lesson she lives by which is to do something good for others. sure in her case she can and does a great deal thanks to $$$ but it is individual little acts that each person can do on his or her own within each persons individualistic parameters.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:18 am

That's not her job

It is her job if she want's to keep her respect, but it's also her responsibility to be careful with what she recommends that readers read. Obviously, she's embarrassed about her dismisal of the of the skeptics, that points to her lack better judgement. She should learn from this.

We know you hate her, don't go grasping at straws trying to impugn her for something over which she has no control.

#1, I don't hate the woman, I don't know her. You can't hate someone you don't know. #2, My beef with Oprah is her self-promoting mantra that she throws up on that cackling tv show, promoting books that she really doesn't know anything about(or whether the content is factual), but mostly everyone will give her a pass on this for simply saying, "i'm sorry." The only thing I hope for, is that her ratings suffer for a bit, so that she'll learn her lesson. Last week, the criticism on Frey grew larger, and she had perfect opportunity to say, wait a minute let me do some investigating of my own. But she didn't, she stuck to her beliefs (probably because she was most likely scared of it turning out to be a hoax) that it was real, and Aero Westy just posted a review that while shopping for publishers, it was solicited as a novel.

And somehow, back in April 2003, the New York Times had already heard it was originally submitted as fiction, not non-fiction, and said so in their review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/21/bo...510800&en=84802c440f144500&ei=5070

"Mr. Frey is reported to have originally presented this material as a novel when he looked for a publisher."

This deserves an ANCFlyer  

Well then every critic that has ever recommended a book with out researching the whole background of the book is guilty

One option is that she could have a segment where an expert could review a book and then have it recommended. That's one way she could avoid this kind of negative publicity

It doesn't work that way. America does not read.

They don't? The United States has one of the lowest illiteracy rates in the world. People read plenty in this country. Hrmmmm, rationalisation, the last refuge of an unsound mind. Very weak argument.

[Edited 2006-01-27 23:35:19]
Made from jets!

VSlover

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 47):
But she didn't, she stuck to her beliefs (probably because she was most likely scared of it turning out to be a hoax) that it was real, and Aero Westy just posted a review that while shopping for publishers, it was solicited as a novel.

EXACTLY. but it is not her job to vet the book herself. that falls on the publisher and there are processes in place for each book that is a "memoir" or "novel" and clearly this brings me back to my original point that the issue is not with oprah, but the publishing industry.

luv2fly

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 46):
girl, oprah is the best. if anything i would hope people could at least walk away with the most basic lesson she lives by which is to do something good for others.

Only if there is a camera crew to record the event.