Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl021
Topic Author

OK...We Could Use Your Prayers/Positive Thought

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:04 am

My wife will be undergoing some surgery tomorrow morning, and while it's fairly straight forward (for you docs out there she's got a rather serious Zenkers Diverticulum, at a rather early age) it's still going to be rather major surgery where they're going to open her throat and keep her under for 4 or so hours.

So, thank God it's not cancer or something fatal, it's still serious enough and she's the best thing that's happened to me so I'll ask for some prayers/positive thoughts on her behalf.

Thanks,

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

luv2fly

RE: OK...We Could Use Your Prayers/Positive Thought

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:08 am

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, your wife and whole family. Keep us posted.
You can cut the irony with a knife

boeingfanyyz

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:16 am

Ian,

I want to wish you and your family all the best... I'm sure everything will turn out pefectly fine. I'll keep you guys in my mind, dont worry.

As previously mentioned, please do keep us posted.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

jap

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:18 am

I will be praying for her... I'm sure she'll be ok. Good luck!
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:22 am

Of course, you'll have my thoughts . . . I hope everything goes well . . . you have my number if you need anything.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:24 am

Nothing put postive thoughts coming your way from Northeast Ohio, Ian.

Will be thinking of you and your wife tomorrow.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting DL021 (Thread starter):
it's not cancer or something fatal

cancer is NOT "fatal" ! the Oncology Department luckily becomes more overcrowded each time ! never before I got the problem waited with such a happy feeling . A cheers to the doctors ! they are not infallible and also make their mistakes, but they are good .

MD11junkie

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:57 am

Ian, you and your wife will be in my family prayers and thoughts. Hang in tight! You now have to be strong for her, as she needs that strength to fully recover  Smile.

Take care, she'll be doing great pretty soon.

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

ABfemme

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:03 am

Positive thoughts and wishes to you and your wife are on their way accross the pond right now.

Regards

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:18 am

My best wishes, and be aware that medicine is ways ahead of what it was just a few decades ago ... up up up and away we go ! possibly alive please !

Nordair

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:26 am

Ian, I hope all goes well for her. Keep faith that she will be fine. And for you and everyone who loves her, be brave and stay supportive.

Please let us know how things are after surgery.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

MSYtristar

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:34 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife and family. Best of luck in the recovery process. I know that even the most routine surgeries can really be a nerve wracking time. I'm sure everything will turn out fine.  Smile

Aeroflot777

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:55 am

Everything will go well, and you and your family have my thoughts and prayers.

Aeroflot777

AirPacific747

RE: OK...We Could Use Your Prayers/Positive Though

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:59 am

I'll be praying for both your wife and you aswell, and I hope your wife will get well again soon!

[Edited 2006-02-19 19:59:17]

767Lover

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:01 am

You guys are in my thoughts. Please keep us posted on how she's doing afterward.

ilikeyyc

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:42 am

I said a prayer and I will keep you two in my thoughts.

Andrew
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

pilot kaz

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:43 am

I hope she will be ok  Sad she is in my thoughts!

kaz x
-

Sabena332

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 am

Hey Ian,

All the best for your wife!

Please keep us updated!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

saxdiva

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:51 am

Got over here late, but here's hoping everything went smoothly and she'll be keeping you in line again very soon.

-Leanne
See terms for details....

skysurfer

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:56 am

Hope everything went well, let us know how it went!

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

BR076

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 6):
cancer is NOT "fatal" ! .

Tell that my sister, oh wait that is not possible anymore. last year this time she was ok and now its already 6 weeks ago that she passed away. but I agree they get further in treatment everyday, but we still don't are there yet.

so I'll ask for some prayers/positive thoughts on her behalf.

You get all the positive thoughts available from me, good luck to both of you.
ú

dl021
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:07 am

Thanks for all the great thoughts and prayers. Debbie goes in tomorrow morning at 0630 and I'll post sometime tomorrow to let you all know how things go. As I said, I'm confident as the doctor is one of the best (he has about a dozen or so letters after his name....so that's good) and he's been aces with everything so far. It's straightforward surgery, but it takes a while and it's a fairly large incision in her neck for them to get in there.

Thanks again, and I'll send word tomorrow.

it's not cancer or something fatal

cancer is NOT "fatal"

I understand that it's not always fatal, hence the "or" in between the words "cancer" or "something fatal", although it's potentially deadly as a friend of mine recently succumbed to cancer and we had his funeral last week.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 18):
and she'll be keeping you in line again very soon.

Yeah, she's left me a list of things to keep up with while she's in the hospital next week. I told her I'd hire her a maid for the duration of the hospital stay and her recovery, and somehow it's turned into a permanent housekeeping deal twice a month. I wear the pants here, she just tells me which ones and what color shoes and belt go with them.....  Wink

BR076....I'm truly sorry for your loss. I know the pain I felt when I lost my brother and I can only imagine that yours was awful as well. Please accept my condolences.

Mir

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:08 am

Wishing you and her all the best, Ian.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

redngold

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:09 am

Ian,

She's in God's hands - the best place to be! I'll keep her in my prayers.
Up, up and away!

SmithAir747

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:12 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, too! You're one of my friends, too, anyway.

I've been in hospitals and have had too many surgeries to count myself--so I'm no stranger to what your wife is going through. She is in God's hands, too.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

aloges

RE: OK...We Could Use Your Prayers/Positive Though

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:31 am

My very best wishes & a little prayer!  bigthumbsup  to Mrs. DL021!

for you docs out there she's got a rather serious Zenkers Diverticulum, at a rather early age

Good to knowit's something you can "have taken out".  Smile
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

dl021
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 24):
I've been in hospitals and have had too many surgeries to count myself--so I'm no stranger to what your wife is going through. She is in God's hands, too.

I hope you don't mind but I used your example to her (she's a little scared by this since she's never been in the hospital before and told me that just because I've been in them plenty doesn't really reassure her) and tried to gently say that she's got very little to worry about....if you can take it so can she..... The miracles of modern medicine take on new meanings when they are applied to you personally. Thanks for your thoughts and I'll pass them all along.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 25):
for you docs out there she's got a rather serious Zenkers Diverticulum, at a rather early age

Good to knowit's something you can "have taken out".

Just to elaborate..since a couple of people have asked me about this...Zenkers Diverticulum is most easily explained (it's not exactly correct, but close enough) as a herniated esophagus where a pouch forms on the outside of the esophagus catching loose food and allowing for fluid buildups including acids from reflux, phlegm and liquids taken orally. This increases the risk of infections, pneumonia, choking and eventually could cause the irritation that causes cancerous growths (long term, according to the doc). They usually correct these with either thoracic or neck surgery, depending on the location....and they will probably have to stretch the lining of the esophagus once they are finished. The doctor (the head of one of the most referred ENT surgical practices in ATL, a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, the grand poobah of his elks lodge for all I know) is very confident, and is very cool...he's reassured Debbie very well.....me too, although I'm acting with her like I'm not worried.

Anyway....thanks again.

Ian

redngold

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:05 am

We all worry before surgery. It's completely normal to be scared of things that are out of one's control. Going under anesthesia is particularly scary because it reminds us that we will not only be out of control, but unaware of our circumstances.

I've undergone eleven surgeries in my life - probably less than Smithair, but still, a significant number - and it doesn't get easier. I just have to remember that my doctors are trained to do the things they do, and that I have told them everything I can to help them make the best decisions possible.

My best suggestion, other than prayer, is to make sure you meet with the anesthetist/anesthesiologist beforehand, and ask any questions that you need answered. S/he should be willing to answer them and take as much time with you as necessary for a thorough pre-anesthesia interview. If your wife has any concerns about previous reactions to anesthesia or any medications (even local anesthesia given at the dentist's office) she should tell the person. You can also talk about post-surgical pain management at the same time.

I hope you've had most of your questions answered already. If not, make sure you get in touch with the doctor before the surgery.

redngold
Up, up and away!

L-188

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 am

Best wishes and prayers...

You got it.

L_188
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

sv7887

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 21):
Thanks for all the great thoughts and prayers. Debbie goes in tomorrow morning at 0630 and I'll post sometime tomorrow to let you all know how things go. As I said, I'm confident as the doctor is one of the best (he has about a dozen or so letters after his name....so that's good) and he's been aces with everything so far. It's straightforward surgery, but it takes a while and it's a fairly large incision in her neck for them to get in there.

My best wishes for your wife's rapid recovery. My father has had several neck surgeries due to his aggressive thyroid cancer, so I know what you're going through. I'm glad you have an experienced surgeon on hand, that makes all the difference.

Waiting for the doctor to come out is probably the most stressful part. Find something to distract yourself. During my dad's brain surgery we decided to walk around Boston. They can always call your Cell if they need you. If you prefer to stay in the hospital, at least bring a book or something to pass the time.

Best wishes,
Sam

tfsphoto

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 am

Howdy Ian,

Your wife will be in my thoughts. She will be just fine.

Lew

Aleksandar

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:23 am

Hi Ian,

Send my regards to your wife. There is an A.netter from Belgrade who will have her in his thoughts and prayers tomorrow. As for you, try to be brave and strong for both. Your wife will definitely need every bit of strength and optimism and even when you're worried try to hide that away. I am absolutely sure that things will be just fine.

Aleksandar
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

aloges

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 26):
Just to elaborate.

Thanks, seems like you and Wikipedia agree.  Silly

eventually could cause the irritation that causes cancerous growths (long term, according to the doc)

Yup. Long term "abnormalities" can have this effect, that's why people suffering from e.g. oesophageal reflux or heartburn should mention it to their GPs. Stitch in time saves nine - or your life.

I'm acting with her like I'm not worried.

Best thing you can do, if a patient's surroundings are calm, he/she will (probably) be more comfortable.

KevinL1011

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:38 am

My mother had a herniated esophagus years ago. Put some Sherbet Ice cream on the shopping list and make sure the Osterizer is ready and clean. You'll be making a lot of "smothies".

Positive thought's going her way from So. Cal. Thanks for caring enough about your A.net friends to include us in your family!

If you have a wireless laptop, maybe you can tap into the Hospital network and post.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Logan22L

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:53 am

Hang in there, Ian. Everything will be fine. Mighty positive thoughts and best wishes from Boston.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

dl021
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:46 am

Well.....latest update. We just got, at 2030 here in ATL on a Sunday night, a phone call from the surgeon's PA saying that he was admitted to the hospital with a bad flu and they are giving him fluids. That's wierd, but doctors are people too.

So....she won't be having surgery, and I appreciate more than you guys know the good thoughts and prayers. I'll notify everyone when they need to start sending out those good vibes again. I assume it'll be in the next week or two.

Thanks again.

Ian

[Edited 2006-02-20 02:46:59]

[Edited 2006-02-20 02:47:33]

texan

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 am

Well, thoughts and prayers will be with y'all through the time she has the surgery and fully recovers. Take care Ian.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

mirrodie

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:45 am

Either way, you guys are on our prayer list.

keep us abreast buddy!
Mario
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

flyingbabydoc

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:22 pm

for you docs out there she's got a rather serious Zenkers Diverticulum, at a rather early age) it's still going to be rather major surgery where they're going to open her throat and keep her under for 4 or so hours.

Hi Ian. Seems you are quite informed about the disease and the procedure. Should you require any information, or if I could be of any help, please let me know. I have assisted (and nearly performed) some of these resections during my days in General Surgery.

they are not infallible and also make their mistakes, but they are good .

Well, in name of our "class" I thank you for this comment.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):
but doctors are people too.

Indeed! This is a fact which is seldom remembered, but nonetheless true.

Please reassure your wife that this is not a very problematic procedure - but keep in mind that the postoperative time might be rather stressful for both of you.

As I said, feel free to ask me anytime.

Cheers

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:45 pm

Quoting BR076 (Reply 20):
Tell that my sister, oh wait that is not possible anymore. last year this time she was ok and now its already 6 weeks ago that she passed away. but I agree they get further in treatment everyday, but we still don't are there yet.

Well, I am sorry, very sorry for your sister. As a matter of fact, one of my grandmothers died of cancer in 1965, my brother died of the after-effects of cancer and chemotherapy in 1994, a good friend died of cancer in 1996, several colleagues died of that. And I myself since the surgery in 1988 have to go to the oncology twice a year for check up. All OK since then, but life has become different since then. B U T , the oncology department becomes an increasingly crowded place, which is a POSITIVE (!) thing. Cancer is potentially fatal still, no doubt, but the number of survivors is growing very very nicely. Survival of course depends on many many many factors, which means that people in some cases have almost no chance still . You can be assured that, while I am NOT a doctor, I really KNOW what I talk about ..............

flyingbabydoc

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 39):
You can be assured that, while I am NOT a doctor, I really KNOW what I talk about ..............

I second what you have written. Cancer has been more easily defeated lately. We have several options that were not even dreamt of in the past. There are cure rates as high as 95-97% (acute lymphoblastic leukemia, for example). No question that there is room for a lot of improvement, but chances for cancer patients are not so bleak anymore.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

dl021
Topic Author

OK..round 2..Pls Send Prayers/Positive Thoughts

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:28 am

OK...here we go again. She's scheduled (or re-scheduled) for surgery Monday at Noon EST. Thanks again for all the phone calls, ims and email. I'll let those of you who asked know how she's doing tomorrow after the surgery.

There's no real need to repost the original thoughts from last week, just remember her a little tomorrow because I believe it can't hurt to have that going on, and I love her so every little bit that can help I'll work to make happen.

Thanks again.

[Edited 2006-02-27 03:31:52]

redngold

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 am

Will do, Ian. Take care.
Up, up and away!

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:47 am

I'm there for ya Pal . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

RobertNL070

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:10 pm

Noon EST = 18:00 CET (Central European). Will be there!

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

aloges

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:48 am

Oye, didn't read this until now... I was working (in a hospital too) at 18:00, hope all went well!

Tom in NO

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:03 am

Just saw this thread..... our thoughts and prayers are with Debbie and yourself.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

BMIFlyer

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:05 am

How did it go?  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

redngold

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 47):
How did it go?

I doubt Ian is thinking about A.net right now... We should keep praying for a few days more and give him time to help his wife recover.

redngold
Up, up and away!

searpqx

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:12 am

Aloha Ian - my thoughts are with you and your wife and best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery for her.

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"