Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

I Want A New Car....

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:30 pm

Hello all , and thx to those with some insight , it's a Lexus GS 400 (one of my fav cars) and its going for around 25 , just wondering on if anyone has owned or ownes that particular model as im very keen on buying it , any comments from some air nutters greatly appreciated   im thinking about putting 7 to 8 thousand down and financing the rest on a 3 year term , here's the link ..... thx again

http://www.buysell.com/advertisers/m...le_auto/moreinfo.asp?a_id=45242324

GulfStreamGirl oh ps ...if i do obtain that car i will be having the tint removed, makes it hard to see out at night and also, a lil too "Ganster" for moi, nice rims though 

[Edited 2006-02-22 06:31:47]

[Edited 2006-02-22 06:32:28]

2H4

RE: I Want A New Car....

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Being a Lexus, it should last forever, but put money away for the day you need to replace your 20" tires...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Lolz 2h4, apparently they have the stock wheels there and they come with the car, which is nice, thx for your reply  Smile

Kerberos

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:39 pm

That's hilarious... I was just looking at this exact car this afternoon, it's not far from me. Don't worry I'm not seriously looking to buy anything so she's all yours. Seems like a good deal, however I would make sure that the kms are not excessive, and be sure to get a vehicle history report. Even though they say no accidents, you never know. If its been driven hard, you dont want to be looking at a motor replacement right around the time the warrenty runs out. For comparison there is another GS 400 at Granville Island Auto for $28,888.00

Good luck, I hope it works out for you, its one sexy car.

Peter
This is your captain speaking. I’ve turned off the no-smokin’ sign. Hell, if the plane is smokin' why can't you?

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Thx Kerberos, I'll be sure to check out that Granville Island one, a lil more pricey , but , never know which is better  Smile , looking at the way that car is (souped) up , it being driven hard is a very good possibility, thx for your reply and nice to meet a fellow BC'er  Smile

GulfStreamGirl

Kerberos

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:56 pm

No problem, i hate seeing people get hosed by used car dealers. One other thing, get a third party mechanical inspection. I was looking at a 04 Mustang GT from a dealer even, I had BCAA come out to do an inspection, and they found a whole list of things that were wrong with it. It looked as though the previous owner had taken it offroad or something. When I test drove it, it seemed perfect. Not trying to discourage you, just be smart is all.

Ciao!

Peter
This is your captain speaking. I’ve turned off the no-smokin’ sign. Hell, if the plane is smokin' why can't you?

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Thx peter, I know, your totally right about used car dealers, well they ARE used car dealers, so yes we do have to be rather vigilent, thx again for your advice, one of my brothers is a mechanic for BMW,and he knows some Lexus mechanics, I already have a place to bring the Lexus (cause thats what I'm set out for) to a shop and have a thorough check done, hopefully all goes well *keeps fingers crossed*

GulfStreamGirl

MYT332

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:04 pm

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 6):
one of my brothers is a mechanic for BMW

So you buy a, inferior, Lexus?
One Life, Live it.

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:29 pm

Myt332 , what makes a Lexus inferior?, I like BMW's to, but the models I like are wayyyyyyyyy out of my price range, although I do think I would look rather nice in a new 750 lolz, I wish, but I've always liked the look of those GS models, I just think its a sexy car , and another thing, my brother works for a dealer and the discount they give him doesn't even bring the price range of a model I want in my (affordable area)  Sad

GulfStreamGirl

UH60FtRucker

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Thread starter):

Hi. First, welcome to A.net.

Second, we have a wonderful feature, called the "spell check" button. All you have to do is click it, and it will scan your post for errors. It makes it far less taxing on us, when we don't have to get out the ol' decoder ring to try and figure out what you're saying.

Third, I think Myt332 was correct, why go for the more inferior product? How much does this Lexus cost? A little under, $30,000, correct? Why not just keep saving and go for the BMW a year or two down the line?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

JAGflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Do not buy RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) for Canadian winters. It is a big mistake.

They don't tell you the mileage of the car. It's safe to assume its got lots of km's on the clock if they don't explicitly tell you the mileage reading.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:29 pm

Jag, thx for your concern but I reside in Vancouver, I'm not sure if you're aware of our *snowless* winters, I know what you mean though, but really we dont get much snow at all in Vancouver

And UH60 what spelling mistakes are you referring to?, i didn't notice any,but then again im proof reading my own writing so  Smile , and if you're the one serving in Iraq right now, I wish you the best of luck and come home safe, being a canadian I support you and you're fellow troops, your government well that's another topic, but you I do support fully.

Thx from a Canadian Gal  Smile be safe

GulfStreamGirl

sv7887

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):
Being a Lexus, it should last forever, but put money away for the day you need to replace your 20" tires.

Keep in mind these cars are still $55K (USD) when new. Parts are very expensive for these sort of cars. I own a 1992 LS400 and my dad has had 3 other LS cars (98 LS400, 02, 05 LS430). These cars DO break, so I'd be wary of buying a car with high mileage.

Since it is a GS400, it has a 4.0 L V-8 in it. Do check whether the Timing Belt has been changed. That model has an interference type engine, so you don't want that belt snapping. Lexus reccomends that you change it at 90K miles. You'll also want to change out the Water Pump at the same time. (It is cheap insurance).

Lexus cars use Special Toyota Type IV fluid for their transmissions. NEVER use anything else. This fluid was specially designed for Lexus and Toyota cars. Also, you'll want to change the Power Steering Fluid regularly. Lexus doesn't have that in their regular scheduled maintenance. When you do this, do Not use Power Steering Fluid. Use Dextron II/III Transmission fluid instead. (It says this on the cap of the Power Steering Reservior under the hood). If you're having this car serviced by Lexus guys, they'll know this.

You can get a service history of the car by going to the Lexus dealer. All they need is the VIN number of the car. Also, you ought to run a Carfax report (Do they have those in Canada?)

The car seems too expensive for what it is. $25K (CDN) sounds too much. This car in the Boston area would be around $15-18K (USD) at the most. (18.2-20.52K (CDN) at the most. I don't see why they are charging a premium, and they aren't a Lexus dealer.

One last thing. You should join Lexus Owners Club. They discuss all sorts of cool things about your car. If you have a problem with the car, chances are they will know what the issue is. They also have tons of Do It Yourself tutorials.

I hope this helps!
Sam

asuflyer05

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:55 pm

How many miles does it have? I know the used BMWs are a bit more expensive but their Certified Pre-Owned program is one of the best available. You may make up the price difference in maintinence costs over the years.

http://www.bmw.ca/com/en/index_highend.html

Matt

airxliban

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 pm

Is that 25k Canadian Dollars or USD?

If its 25k and you're putting down 7 or 8 thousand you're looking at monthly payments of 600 or more over 36 months.

As far as the car itself, objectively it is a fine car so I think its just a matter of whether or not you like it and want to be driving it. My understanding is that it is a very reliable car. Friend of mine drove a 1998 for about 5 years and had no mechanical problems with it.

By the way, if it wasn't for men, there would be no women either  Wink
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:42 pm

Lolz AirxLiban, yes it's Canadian dollars  Smile

Sv7887 Thank you for your detailed responce, greatly appreciated, at the moment I'm not sure how many KM's are on the car,I'll find out in a few hours,and the price in which you think is a lil high, I'm pretty sure that just because it has 20" rims on it adds atleast 2 - 3 thousand, not postive, but they have to add that feature to the price to some extent.If I do end up chosing that car I will be sure to take it to a Lexus dealer for a inspection.

Asuflyer05 thxx for your reply, I have looked at a few BMW's but the models I like are a lil out of my wallet (purse) and my price range  Smile

AirPacific747

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Lexus is a wannabe car... they are trying to look like mercedes cars... go for some other brand instead.

[Edited 2006-02-22 15:47:16]

2H4

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 12):
Also, you ought to run a Carfax report

I agree with this 100%. A few months ago, I came very close to buying an Audi TT. It was just a little shabby around the edges, but seemed solid otherwise. I coughed up the $25 or so for an online history report, and found that it had previously been a corporate fleet car.  scared 

Needless to say, I passed on it.

By the way...to those who label the Lexus as inferior to the BMW...what criteria are you using? Strictly from a performance perspective, I can see how the BMW could be considered superior. From a reliability perspective, though, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Lexus has been at the top of the list for many years, and has always come out pretty far ahead of BMW.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

MYT332

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Sometimes it's just about Style 2H4.  Wink

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 16):
Lexus is a wannabe car...

It makes me sad to admit but I agree with him for once. I guess it could just be down to personal preference but BMW's / German cars have the edge IMHO. Oh and Ms 'G'ulf 'S'tream Girl (GS, is that a sign?), go get a 3 series then. Setting your sights on a 7 series is a bit retarded?

Alex
One Life, Live it.

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 18):
It makes me sad to admit but I agree with him for once.

lol! oh how nice of you to say this Big grin

BMW's / German cars have the edge IMHO

checkmark 

Setting your sights on a 7 series is a bit retarded?

agreed! plus the new 7 series is one of bmw's ugliest along with the compact model

sv7887

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 16):
Lexus is a wannabe car... they are trying to look like mercedes cars... go for some other brand instead.

Oh here we go again...Which car company made more money than all of Merecedes, BMW, and Audi combined? Toyota/Lexus !! You can make this whole image argument if you want, but dollar for dollar no one can beat what a Lexus can offer.

--Industry leading Quality scores...A six year old Lexus LS400 is more reliable than a new Bmw.
--Industry leading Dealer Service. Lexus satisfaction scores are one of the highest in the industry
--Cutting edge electronics. Lexus continues to excel in high end stereo systems, Hybrid drivetrains, 8 Speed Automatic Transmissions, Self Parking feature, and DVD Nav systems. Try a Lexus Nav system then compare it to a German one..It will be seriously lacking
Have you seen the new specs for a the new 5.5L V-8 from Mercedes? It makes 382 HP. The new Lexus 4.6 L V-8 makes 380 HP..How about that for efficiency, and it gives 20-25 MPG. The LS430 is the only High end car that doesn't get hit with a Gas Guzzler tax in the US.

--Depreciation...German cars, especially Mercedes are horrible. I've seen 03 S500's selling for around 51% of their original MSRP. When we traded in our 02 LS430 we got a 64% residual...

--What's all this about so called Mercedes Styling? Have you seen the new S Class? It looks terrible, the interior is a clear copy of the much maligned 7 Series. Their cars cost more because their production isn't nearly as efficient as Lexus. The only good looking Benz is the SL500.

I'll give you the handling edge, but Lexus cars aren't slow either. Just look at the specs of a IS350.

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 15):
the price in which you think is a lil high, I'm pretty sure that just because it has 20" rims on it adds atleast 2 - 3 thousand, not postive, but they have to add that feature to the price to some extent

That sounds like alot for just 20" rims and tires. When we got 18's factory installed on our new LS430 they only charged us $5-600 USD. It sounds like an outrageous markup for 4 rims and tires. Keep in mind they are used, and actual value isn't anything near the original price. They would have to depreciate the original price of the rims and tires accordingly.

You seldom get the money back when you mod a car. I still believe this car is overpriced. Check out the pre-owned inventory at a Lexus dealer for comparison purposes. The 1999 is too old to be Certified, but they may have a few around.

Hope this helps,
Sam

MYT332

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:10 am

It's a Toyota. Toyota make the Yaris. Enough said.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):
Setting your sights on a 7 series is a bit retarded?

agreed! plus the new 7 series is one of bmw's ugliest

I meant it's too expensive you bacon loving.... See, I extend the olive branch and you put a flame thrower to it. Still, it isn't as bad as that new Merc that looks like a slug. I think it was something like the P Class 280 SCLK CDI TDI. You know, one of those obscure Mercedes names.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 20):

Oh here we go again...Which car company made more money than all of Merecedes, BMW, and Audi combined? Toyota/Lexus !!

any facts or sources? anyway if its true, congratulations! I don't really care about that, I just prefer Mercedes over Lexus and BMW.. thats my opinion.

--What's all this about so called Mercedes Styling? Have you seen the new S Class? It looks terrible, the interior is a clear copy of the much maligned 7 Series.

First of all, I like the looks of the new s-class! I think its beautiful! second, I admit that it looks like Mercedes stole some of the interior design from bmw, but atleast they didn't steal both interior and exterior designs from another company just like lexus does.

The only good looking Benz is the SL500.

While I agree that the SL500 is a good looking car, there are lots of mercedes models which look great like the new SLK, the E-class, the CLK, the C-class, and the CLS class!! The cls looks really good! etc, etc

[Edited 2006-02-22 16:19:47]

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 21):

I meant it's too expensive you bacon loving....

atleast i am not a tea-lover Big grin

See, I extend the olive branch and you put a flame thrower to it

it gives the olives a great grilled taste.. now all we need is some BBQ sauce  Wink

Still, it isn't as bad as that new Merc that looks like a slug. I think it was something like the P Class 280 SCLK CDI TDI. You know, one of those obscure Mercedes names.

well then tell me why BMW still writes "i" at the end of their model names? is that just to sound advanced or what? lol. I know it stands for injection but that is something every car today has

MYT332

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
well then tell me why BMW still writes "i" at the end of their model names?

It's because they are 'incredible'.

duck 
One Life, Live it.

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 24):
It's because they are 'incredible'.

no that is because they are inferior along with lexus  Wink Big grin  box 

sv7887

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 22):
any facts or sources? anyway if its true, congratulations!

Have a look at:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/20/news/companies/pluggedin_2_fortune/

Here is an excerpt: "Toyota (Research) alone earned more than all the rest of the world's 12 largest auto manufacturers combined -- $11.4 billion."

Even better than what I said...

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 22):
First of all, I like the looks of the new s-class! I think its beautiful! second, I admit that it looks like Mercedes stole some of the interior design from bmw, but atleast they didn't steal both interior and exterior designs from another company just like lexus does.

Lexus interiors are well regarded as some of the best in the business. You are the first to accuse Lexus of stealing interior designs. Can you name one interior they've stolen from anyone? Have a look at the ES330's interior and compare it to anything BMW has to offer. Only Jaguar and maybe Audi have something better.

They've only copied the exterior designs for their LS430..The ES, GS, SC, IS, RX, GX, and LX are all their own designs. I saw the CLS in person and wasn't impressed. The iinterior was especially bland. 65-70K for an upgraded E-Class??

Mercedes only became a styling leader with the last generation S500. Have a look at the 1990 W126 S Class. It wasn't anything special..It's fair to say Audi has some of the nicest looking cars on the road. Jaguar used to be the styling leader until Ford messed them all up..

-Sam

2H4

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:48 am

Sometimes it's just about Style 2H4.

Well, if style is the criteria, then it would be a mistake to present one brand's "superiority" as fact, as style is purely subjective.

It's a Toyota. Toyota make the Yaris. Enough said.

BMW certainly doesn't have a flawless design history, either....

http://www.boerderie.com/images/DSC_0058.JPG

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 26):

Have a look at:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/20/news/companies/pluggedin_2_fortune/

Here is an excerpt: "Toyota (Research) alone earned more than all the rest of the world's 12 largest auto manufacturers combined -- $11.4 billion."

Even better than what I said...

as I said, congratulations! But just because a company is earning more than another company doesnt mean that I will buy their cars.

Lexus interiors are well regarded as some of the best in the business. You are the first to accuse Lexus of stealing interior designs. Can you name one interior they've stolen from anyone? Have a look at the ES330's interior and compare it to anything BMW has to offer. Only Jaguar and maybe Audi have something better.

I am not the first one at all! I have heard that lexus is popular in the states and seen it too, but in Europe, you dont see many of them. They have completely stolen both their exterior and their interior designs from mercedes, and their brand is a mercedes wannabe. The company is not very old and was built to compete with mercedes, bmw, audi, etc. even BMW has way more class over their cars than lexus.

I saw the CLS in person and wasn't impressed. The iinterior was especially bland. 65-70K for an upgraded E-Class??

I was very impressed! Why were the interiors bland? It looks like other Mercedes interiors but that definately isnt fair to say that they are bland.

Mercedes only became a styling leader with the last generation S500. Have a look at the 1990 W126 S Class. It wasn't anything special..It's fair to say Audi has some of the nicest looking cars on the road. Jaguar used to be the styling leader until Ford messed them all up..

No, but the 1992 S-class was and is still the best car out there! (I guess I am biased by the car my dad bought when I was a kid which he still has. A 1992 S-class) As I have said before, my dads car still looks, feels and drives like a brand new car, and that is my experience with mercedes. It still doesnt have much rust even though it hasnt been inside a garage for the past three years and I live 30 meters from the sea, so I guess there is a lot of salt in the air. It is 14 years old now. That is incredible indeed!

[Edited 2006-02-22 16:57:27]

[Edited 2006-02-22 17:00:00]

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 27):
BMW certainly doesn't have a flawless design history, either....

THANKYOU!!  Smile

sv7887

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 28):
They have completely stolen both their exterior and their interior designs from mercedes, and their brand is a mercedes wannabe

Where is your source for the interiors?? Show me a single interior that Lexus has copied from Mercedes? I don't know about you, but a Lexus interior is far better laid out.

The company is not very old and was built to compete with mercedes, bmw, audi, etc. even BMW has way more class over their cars than lexus.

What does age have to do with anything? It says alot when a not even 20 yr old company can beat everyone in North America. Lexus until last year focused primarily on the North American market..

No, but the 1992 S-class was and is still the best car out there!

Says who? The 1990-1994 LS400 won practically every award out there. It dominated the JD Power rankings, and was Car and Driver's winner in the comparison test against, BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc..

That LS400 hammered the competition, just have a look at the Car and Driver reviews of that time. I still have my dad's old 1992 and it is bulletproof. Do a google search and you'll see statements like, "The Lexus LS400 was considered to be one of the best cars in the world when it was launched in 1990."

That LS400 came standard with a class leading 32 Valve 4 Cam 250 Hp 4.0 L V-8 (1UZ-FE) that won Ward's Award for being one of the best engines of the time. Mercedes is only now coming out with a 32 Valve engine..

If you read the Car and Driver review from 1990 it blew away the competition in acceleration. It was also the quietest car in the world when tested. It was first to feature optitron gauges and offered Memory seats, Air Suspension, Auto Dim mirror, Integrated Cell Phone, Keyless Entry, Moonroof for $40K, way less than the competition.

Compare that original LS's interior to the S Class and you'll see the attention Lexus paid to detail. There is no match. Even look at the new LS460 vs S550.

-Sam

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 30):
Where is your source for the interiors?? Show me a single interior that Lexus has copied from Mercedes? I don't know about you, but a Lexus interior is far better laid out.

Not at all! Lexus is a complete ripoff!

http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/mercedes/e-class/big/Mercedes-E-Class-Avantgarde-front.jpg

What does age have to do with anything? It says alot when a not even 20 yr old company can beat everyone in North America. Lexus until last year focused primarily on the North American market..

It wouldnt be very important if it hadnt been for their design stealing, just like the pictures I posted above. For me Lexus is a synonym for Wannabe. And that just says a lot about the quality of American cars.

Says who?

I just said so.. Did you read the rest of what I wrote? what would a lexus look like after 14 years? lol

aerobalance

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 15):
Sv7887 Thank you for your detailed responce, greatly appreciated, at the moment I'm not sure how many KM's are on the car,I'll find out in a few hours,

That would be my qualifier, if the km's are low I'd get it - and that's coming from a very satisfied '06 BMW 330i owner.

Sidenote - a co-worker here has a Lexus LX470 with 130K miles and is being nickel and dimed with whole sorts of engine electrical component replacement. She has spent about $5K alone in repairs the past 6 mos.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:05 am

If you love your life as much as I love mine, go for a Mercedes:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050414-2.htm

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...14.004&mercedes=1.html/country/gcf

Mercedes is not only the best quality, but also the safest cars out there!

Another interesting article for you to read.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...cedes-Benz_S-Class.S183.A9403.html

Quote from the article:

"Mercedes-Benz brings plenty of safety features into the new S-Class, all wrapped into categories of what's called PRO-SAFE. PRO-SAFE includes all of the car's safety subsystems, which include PERFORM-SAFE, PRE-SAFE, and POST-SAFE. The second generation of the PRE-SAFE system is offered for the first time on the new S-Class. It includes Brake Assist Plus (BAS PLUS), which uses radar to monitor vehicles ahead; if the closing speed is too high or the gap is too small, the system will give a warning and prime the braking system. The instant the driver then touches the brake pedal, the system will then stop in the ideal braking distance - rather than the absolute shortest braking distance, to minimize the chances of a rear-end collision. If the system anticipates a collision, it tenses the seatbelts and inflates the air cushions in the front seats for support."

Now beat that!!!
Lexus offers nothing that hasnt already been invented by Mercedes. Old technology, crappy cars.

[Edited 2006-02-22 18:09:34]

GulfStreamGirl
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:56 am

Myt332 "Setting your sights on a 7 series is a bit retarded"
I was being sarcastic in that remark, obviously I'm not setting my sights on that, a lil passed my budget, I just mentioned that I like them.

Thx for all your replies though, more insight from people who may have experience equals a better decision I can make, again Thx guys  Smile

GulfStreamGirl

saxdiva

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:04 am

They have completely stolen both their exterior and their interior designs from mercedes, and their brand is a mercedes wannabe. The company is not very old and was built to compete with mercedes, bmw, audi, etc. even BMW has way more class over their cars than lexus.

This is a little beside the point, but BMW interiors haven't exactly been anything to aspire to. They've probably improved in the last couple of years (or at least I hope so), but in past years they've not only been poorly-designed, but have used shockingly cheap materials.

We've got a 1997 Camry with 100K miles on it, and it's holding up beautifully--nice and quiet, and still looks awfully good. The '02 Z3 has the noisiest (there's a couple of rattles in there that drive me up a wall), most poorly thought-out interior of any car I've ever driven.

Long story short, we're shopping for a car to replace the Camry right now, and will very likely go with another Toyota. Anyone have a hybrid yet?
See terms for details....

2H4

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 35):
The '02 Z3 has the noisiest (there's a couple of rattles in there that drive me up a wall), most poorly thought-out interior of any car I've ever driven.

To be fair, you're comparing a very solid sedan that is extremely resistant to torsional flex with a convertible. Although I am convinced that Toyota's build quality and reliability is far ahead of BMW, I suspect the noisy interior of your Z3 is mostly attibuted to the simple fact that it's a convertible, rather than the fact that it's a BMW.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 34):
I was being sarcastic in that remark, obviously I'm not setting my sights on that, a lil passed my budget, I just mentioned that I like them.

How old are you?

You cannot even differentiate between the words "past" and "passed"

You type and use vocabulary like this is an AOL Chatroom.

saxdiva

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 36):
Although I am convinced that Toyota's build quality and reliability is far ahead of BMW, I suspect the noisy interior of your Z3 is mostly attibuted to the simple fact that it's a convertible, rather than the fact that it's a BMW.

Point well-taken, but I still think that the BMWs of that period just had poor interior designs and even worse materials. In fact, when I asked the dealer about the rattle that was driving me crazy, the service advisor confessed that the interior plastics left a bit to be desired.

Incidentally, my last boss had a 7-series of the same year, and I noticed it in that car, too. Could be that I'm somewhat sensitive to stuff like that, though.
See terms for details....

2H4

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:53 am

Well, should you ever want someone to, you know, take that bucket off of your hands, I'm sure I could find someone....  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:23 pm

We've got a 1997 Camry with 100K miles on it, and it's holding up beautifully--nice and quiet, and still looks awfully good. The '02 Z3 has the noisiest (there's a couple of rattles in there that drive me up a wall), most poorly thought-out interior of any car I've ever driven.

Okay. It sounds like a good car aswell. But Camry's are not really available here in Europe, so I can't comment on them as I have never tried one.

N1120A

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 40):
Okay. It sounds like a good car aswell. But Camry's are not really available here in Europe, so I can't comment on them as I have never tried one.

They are very good cars, if a bit boring (which is why they didn't do well in Europe and were pulled in 2004).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

KaiGywer

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Long story short, we're shopping for a car to replace the Camry right now, and will very likely go with another Toyota. Anyone have a hybrid yet?

Do you want a Hybrid to save money, or to save the environment? If it is to save money...don't. One of the TV-stations around here did a comparison between a hybrid and the same model with a regular engine. Over the course of three years, you'll pay between 5-10k extra with a hybrid. That's including the gas saved and the tax break, but the higher purchase price isn't worth it.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 37):
How old are you?

You cannot even differentiate between the words "past" and "passed"

You type and use vocabulary like this is an AOL Chatroom.

Hey, at least she dropped the fifteen periods between each half sentence and the tah fah nah @ yah ... lol
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

whitehatter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 40):

because we have the Avensis. Now that's a nice motor.

If you offered me the choice between a Lexus and an Avensis, I'd have the Avensis. Lexus have an image problem nowadays, as they are ageing and getting cheaper then certain sections of the driving public are starting to pick them up secondhand.

Hence the flashing lights, underbody neon and fibreglass body kit Lexus is starting to appear on the street.....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

AirPacific747

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 43):
Lexus have an image problem nowadays, as they are ageing and getting cheaper then certain sections of the driving public are starting to pick them up secondhand.

Hence the flashing lights, underbody neon and fibreglass body kit Lexus is starting to appear on the street.....

exactly. Plus the wannabe image.. I have not met a single person who said that they would rather want a lexus than a mercedes or bmw for example.

sv7887

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 31):
It wouldnt be very important if it hadnt been for their design stealing, just like the pictures I posted above. For me Lexus is a synonym for Wannabe. And that just says a lot about the quality of American cars.

Dude you are so full of it. Your posts reek of snobbery. Apparently the entire automotive industry Disagrees with you. Lexus isn't even American to begin with. Oh, those American cars beat Mercedes in Quality. Have a look at the JD Powers Link at the end of my post..Both Lincoln and BUICK beat Mercedes in quality.

Looking at your pictures: You first showed a GX470 vs a CL500..So you are comparing a Truck versus a Coupe? They don't even look the same. The dash of the GX is much higher. Look at the position of the NAV screen, it's completely different...As for the gauges, Lexus has had those Electroluminescent gauges since 1989. Who is copying who here?

As for the Gs300 vs E-Class, both of those cars came out at the same time. Other than the 4 headlight setup those cars don't look the same..Are you going to tell me that Mercedes was the first to offer a car with Four Circular headlights?

While we are on the topic of headlights: Many in the Auto World think that the CLS headlamps are a copy of the ES300. Also, many of the lines scream Jaguar. Also compare the lines of the new E Class to that of the Ford Taurus.

If you want to go on about interiors look at this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/TheSquareRootOf4/auto-show-photos3.jpg

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 33):
Now beat that!!!
Lexus offers nothing that hasnt already been invented by Mercedes. Old technology, crappy cars.

Hmm, Hybrid Technology mean anything to you? How about DVD based Navigation systems? Cars that park themselves? Eight Speed Transmission? Oh wait, they actually offer a car that has a CD Changer in the front unlike the outgoing S-Class..How about Voice Activation? Did MB have that in Sept 2000 when the LS430 came out? Noooo!

Mercedes is not only the best quality, but also the safest cars out there!

Pure bunk..Lexus has dominated the JD Power Reliability rankings since 1989..Your beloved Mercedes is at the bottom of the list since they can't match Lexus on price, so they had to cut corners to keep up. Don't believe me?

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005089

"Lexus, which ranks highest in vehicle dependability for the 11th consecutive year, improves 14 percent (23 PP100) compared to 2004"

"The Lexus LS 430, which earns a score of 90 PP100, is the first model in VDS history to receive fewer than 100 PP100. The LS 430 receives the premium luxury car segment award, and Lexus also receives awards for its RX 300 (entry luxury SUV) and LX 470 (premium luxury SUV) models."

Hmmm Where is Mercedes on the list?

The second generation of the PRE-SAFE system is offered for the first time on the new S-Class. It includes Brake Assist Plus (BAS PLUS), which uses radar to monitor vehicles ahead; if the closing speed is too high or the gap is too small, the system will give a warning and prime the braking system.

Ummm, Lexus has something called Pre-Collision which does exactly the same thing. Oh wait, they just use Sonar instead..This Brake Assist you talk about has been on Lexus cars since Sept 1999..And Lexus cars come standard with Side, Front, Knee, and Head airbags.

I just said so.. Did you read the rest of what I wrote? what would a lexus look like after 14 years? lol

Umm Okay, I actually have a 1992 Lexus LS400 which looks iin perfect condition. Since then we've had three more Lexus cars.

http://hometown.aol.com/sv7887/myhomepage/Cars/92LS400.jpg

This car has been bulletproof, I haven't had to do much of anything in terms of repairs.

For me Lexus is a synonym for Wannabe

Sorry, I don't have insecurity issues that require me to show off to the world how well off I am...Lexus is the "Thinking Man's Car" not the "Look at me I'm Rich!!" car. All you've offered is unsubstantiated opinion, based on your snob attitude. I've offered Facts. I see your profile indicates you are 16-20. How about earning the money to buy one of these cars before you start lecturing me on what car to buy? I actually can purchase these cars with my earnings, how about you?

-Sam

[Edited 2006-02-23 15:33:15]

whitehatter

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Lexus is a bad motor. Not at all.

It's just that they do have an image problem nowadays, and it is image that justifies the price tag.

I wouldn't have a BMW or Merc as they are overpriced junk. Quality control at mercedes is a fond memory unless you can afford over a hundred thousand dollars, and BMW have long since jumped the shark. Lexus does have quality, but the image isn't there.

I'd rather spend money on a high specification Toyota than a lower range Lexus.

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 45):
.Lexus is the "Thinking Man's Car" not the "Look at me I'm Rich!!" car.

I'd say it was the opposite, Lexus is the "I'm too insecure to drive a Toyota" car.

sv7887

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 46):
I'd rather spend money on a high specification Toyota than a lower range Lexus.

Given some of the lower end models Lexus has to offer I'd be inclined to agree with you.

I'd say it was the opposite, Lexus is the "I'm too insecure to drive a Toyota" car.

Lexus cars do have better quality by a substantial margin, and more high tech gear. At least in the USA Toyota dealers stink, but the Lexus ones are much better.

The level of Service you get at Lexus is unparalleled. They will pick up your car, drop off a brand new ES330 loaner, or if you wish, drive you home. The dealerships have business areas with internet, newspaper, and even virtual golf. (Not something I would enjoy..) You also get nice bagels and Danishes..

Of course there is a price to all of this: $100 an hour to service the car..Lexus dealers are some of the most profitable dealers in the USA.

It depends what you're looking for. As a consumer I put a premium on quality, technology, and level of service I get. I also have a new Toyota Corolla, and I can say there is a substantial difference in the level of service I personally get. (Even though both the Toyota and Lexus dealers are owned by the same person)

It's just that they do have an image problem nowadays, and it is image that justifies the price tag.

I sort of agree with you on this one. They do have bad rep for insipid designs. However, they are still priced below the competition by a fair margin. Yet the cars consistently rank better than their competitors in Objective testing..That's why they are so successful.

-Sam

AirPacific747

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 am

Dude you are so full of it. Your posts reek of snobbery. Apparently the entire automotive industry Disagrees with you. Lexus isn't even American to begin with. Oh, those American cars beat Mercedes in Quality. Have a look at the JD Powers Link at the end of my post..Both Lincoln and BUICK beat Mercedes in quality.

I am full of what? You know that Mercedes is better than lexus now you just dont want to admit it. I know that Lexus isn't American LOL! What I said was that since Americans like lexus so much, it must mean that there are no better American cars which is sad.

Hmm, Hybrid Technology mean anything to you? How about DVD based Navigation systems? Cars that park themselves? Eight Speed Transmission? Oh wait, they actually offer a car that has a CD Changer in the front unlike the outgoing S-Class..How about Voice Activation? Did MB have that in Sept 2000 when the LS430 came out? Noooo!

And all of these things were offered in the previous S-Class, way before any lexus car had any of this. Now it is just updated so its even better than the rest of its competition.

Pure bunk..Lexus has dominated the JD Power Reliability rankings since 1989..Your beloved Mercedes is at the bottom of the list since they can't match Lexus on price, so they had to cut corners to keep up. Don't believe me?

Oh bloody whine! Did you open the links I posted? Mercedes are way safer than lexus cars.. sorry to disappoint you

Ummm, Lexus has something called Pre-Collision which does exactly the same thing. Oh wait, they just use Sonar instead..This Brake Assist you talk about has been on Lexus cars since Sept 1999..And Lexus cars come standard with Side, Front, Knee, and Head airbags.

Brake assist has been offered by Mercedes before 1999. Again Lexus just stole Mercedes technology. The new S-class has 14 different airbags.. now beat that!

Umm Okay, I actually have a 1992 Lexus LS400 which looks iin perfect condition. Since then we've had three more Lexus cars.

http://hometown.aol.com/sv7887/myhomepage/Cars/92LS400.jpg

This car has been bulletproof, I haven't had to do much of anything in terms of repairs.

I am willing to bet that it is full of rust under the hood. We haven't had to do much work on the mercedes either. the car has driven over 200.000 kilometers and still looks brand new. Incredible indeed!

edit:
just took a picture of it, and as you can see, it still looks new:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/1234spot/DSC_1815.jpg
Its the best car I have ever driven. I even test drove a VW Touareg the other day which is over 10 years newer than this one, and had a really nice cabin, but I still think this baby is the best one to drive  Smile

Sorry, I don't have insecurity issues that require me to show off to the world how well off I am...Lexus is the "Thinking Man's Car" not the "Look at me I'm Rich!!" car. All you've offered is unsubstantiated opinion, based on your snob attitude. I've offered Facts. I see your profile indicates you are 16-20. How about earning the money to buy one of these cars before you start lecturing me on what car to buy? I actually can purchase these cars with my earnings, how about you?

Actually, the only one that is insecure here would be you. I am not going as low as you calling you things just to prove my point. I don't need to because we both know that Mercedes just is better. That's the way it is. Tough luck.

[Edited 2006-02-23 16:12:50]

[Edited 2006-02-23 16:31:52]

whitehatter

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 am

This is what we get here

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/toyo...avensis-t-spirit-2.4-vvt-i-5dr.asp

On balance I'd much rather spend the money on that than a Lexus, which to me isn't worth the extra. Unfortunately the Lexus does not have a quality image in Europe, just one of being an upmarket Toyota with a gold plated badge.

It certainly isn't doing buiness in the top end, just the smaller 300 series models and for lease cars used by motorway warriors. The Avensis is a much nicer all-round package and dealers tend to be great.