Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Fried Chicken

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:17 pm

The other day I forgot to bring my dinner into work with me, and I had a huge hankering for fried chicken, but LAS doesn't have one place that serves it. And as I thought about it some, I don't recall ever going to an airport that had a fried chicken joint - not a KFC or a local brand. You may see chicken sandwiches at say a Burger Queen or a McDoobers, but never a real fried chicken joint. With all the talk about pax wanting diverse food options at an airport, seem to me fried chicken should be one of them.

Is there something about the nature of owning a fried chicken joint that doesn't make it compatable with an airport? Is there a hidden fried chicken joint at a airport that I've just never seen? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

AA B777-200

RE: Fried Chicken

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Derek, I ALWAYS go for Cinnabon so couldn't care less about KFC or the likes of that!  biting 

N1120A

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:23 pm

This might have been more suited for non-av, but I think the topic is quirky and fun. Anyway, when I think about it, I had not seen a fried chicken place at an airport before either, but since moving to New Orleans I see one everytime I am at the airport. There is a Popeye's at MSY.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ejmmsu

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:45 pm

There is also a Popeyes in ATL, and I belive i've seen one in DFW
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

Cactus739

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:50 pm

IAH has a Popeye's in Terminal C south

DFW Has a Popeye's in Terminal A and D.

I must be bored if I just looked through 10 airport websites to find that.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

AA B777-200

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Cactus739,

You're not the only bored since I'm stuck at home being on reserve!
On the net I went looking for that place in Heathrow's T3 were they have those yummy chicken-and-spring-onion sandwiches!

Cactus739

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:03 pm

On the upside of things....I now know that should I ever transition through Memphis there's a Starbucks there....also an espresso stand in the parking structure at Sea Tac, and that Houston has a Pappadeuax's in Terminal E.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Fly2CHC

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:27 pm

The old Kuala Lumpur International Airport (Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Subang) had a KFC, and so does the new one in Sepang. Only thing that annoyed me was that their prices were much higher than their other outlets in the city!

A few years ago I remember there was an uproar in New Zealand from health advocates. A lot of Pacific Islanders enjoy their KFC, and I think Air New Zealand (or perhaps it was a travel agency) offered a promotional bucket of KFC with every return ticket sold to Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, or Rarotonga. I'm pretty sure they didn't serve it prior to boarding or on the aircraft - there would have been a voucher!!

lapper

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:27 pm

Luton Airport - LTN - has a KFC in departures. Always busy, people must come from miles around to visit a KFC at an airport!  Wink

acidradio

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:44 pm

Look for Orville & Wilbur's Wings around B6 in DTW McNamara Terminal.

Just like anything else, you have to look at the demographics of the customers who use that airport. Are the people that fly through that airport or who work in that airport likely to eat fried chicken? Is it a convenient food for rushed travelers/airport workers at an acceptable price point?
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

vsflyer747400

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:04 pm

BKK I recall has a KFC both landside and airside. I know there was a landside one in the domestic terminal and there was an airside one at terminal 2. I remember them particularly as I would have to have a KFC after arriving in BKK before flying on to USM with PG, and also a KFC fix before getting back on a flight back to europe  yummy 
Flown (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA ZB AE(AIR EUROPE) KD

aaden

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:59 pm

there's a popeyes at dfw

carmenlu15

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Going on the international side, the Pollo Campero at the airport in GUA is an obliged stop when departing the country... The amount of chicken that travelers buy for their relatives in the U.S. is quite impressive, despite the fact that there are Campero restaurants in several U.S. cities.

*Homer Simpson voice* Mmmh... chicken...  drool 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

senorcarnival

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 4):
IAH has a Popeye's in Terminal C south

There's also a Popeye's in Terminal 1 at SAT. I don't think there's any fried chicken joint at ORD, is there?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

desertjets

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:21 pm

The only places I've seen a fried chicken joint are the aforementioned Popeye's in IAH and ATL.

Funny when you think about it, as American as fried chicken is you'd think you would see them in more airport food courts. Beyond the usual array of burger places, faux chinese food, and Sbarro's.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

abefroman329

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:31 am

Paschal's and Popeye's in ATL. I seem to recall having chicken from some sort of soul food restaurant at MEM but that was 6 years ago and my memory is fading.

Lindy

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Thread starter):
I don't recall ever going to an airport that had a fried chicken joint - not a KFC or a local brand.

In ATL you can find fried chicken in 3 different terminals! And thats where I always eat while connecting via ATL.  Smile

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

BigOrange

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:53 am

MCO has a Roasters which does fried chicken.

It's combined with Nathan's/Carvel and Long John Silvers, in the food court where one of the most gorgeous girls I have ever seen works!. I wound up going there for lunch every day I was spotting at MCO last week!
Anyone in the area check out Manuela!

I'm going back down there in October and won't have the wife in tow so I'll have some free time in the evenings!

ual777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 13):
There's also a Popeye's in Terminal 1 at SAT. I don't think there's any fried chicken joint at ORD, is there?

I know there isn't at Terminal 1 or the E and F gates.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

pilot kaz

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting Lapper (Reply 8):
Luton Airport - LTN - has a KFC in departures. Always busy, people must come from miles around to visit a KFC at an airport!

Not any more!

Now the new terminal is open.... No KFC now  Sad
-

ual777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:18 am

Popeyes- By far the best. I love the spicy chicken with their biscuts and mashed potatoes.

KFC- Inconsistant and not as good. I think its hit and miss.

Churches- Greasy and gross. Its cheap though.

Chesters- Do not EVER, EVER eat there.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

ejmmsu

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 20):

Chesters- Do not EVER, EVER eat there.

Chester Fried!! If you've ever driven through Mississippi, it seems you can find one of those in just about every gas station, although I've never eaten there.

I really like Popyes... and Bojangles
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

C-GRYK

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:10 am

Just passed through HKG and of all things they have a Popeyes in there...

Didn't know the Cantonese liked southern fried chicken but hey what do I know?

Jeremy
Think before you type!

lhrmaccoll

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:15 am

Since when is Fried Chicken a 'diverse' food?
Alex

gunsontheroof

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:16 am

The best fried chicken place I ever ate at was Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles in ATL. Holy shit.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

jamesbuk

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 am

he he, as Queen said "gimme gimme gimme FRIED CHICKEN" I think it was that!!

To the topic, Theres only ever been one airport ive been to were theyve had fried chicken is Luton but according to some of you they no longer have it.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!