Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoKeR
Topic Author

Canada Starts Killing 325,000 Seal Pups

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:07 am

Canada has started killing some 325,000 seal pups in the annual Government sanctioned widespread cull.

Although one may understand the reasons behind this activity, the way the cull is performed is rather gruesome and disturbing; the actual manner has been blasted by many groups and celebrities who are in favour of a more humane method than bludgeoning a helpless newborn pup’s head with a harpoon. It takes a newborn pup between 15-20 minutes to bleed to death after the blow to the forehead. Seals are one of few animals that can and do cry in the process.

Let’s hear some views – Is Canada simply balancing the ecosystem or is it on a “killing” spree with little reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4844008.stm

EWS

RE: Canada Starts Killing 325,000 Seal Pups

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:19 am

I disagree with the killing of any animals. So i think canada is wrong to kill these pups. Look at it on a smaller scale, your dog gives birth to 7 young puppies, you can only afford, or want to keep 2 of them. What do you do with them? Sell them? Ive seen people in exactly this situation, and they dumped them in a bag, then gloated about it, needless to say i dont speak with him anymore.

Maybe a wrong example but i strongly disagree with the killings of any animals, wild or pets.

Lew

Qb001

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:22 am

This only truth in the thread starter is the number : 325 000. Everything else is false.

The hunting of young seal has been totally banned in 1991. Only adult can be killed.

The technique used to kill the seals puts them to death instantly, as it crushes their cerebellum. The seals do not suffer. Nor do they cry; they are not human beings.

In 1977, 200 000 seals were killed and their population was 1.5 million. Today, the seal population is over 5 millions. Hardly the holocost some pretend it is.

The opposition to this hunt is totally irrationnal.

Meanwhile, in Iraq...
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 1):
Maybe a wrong example but i strongly disagree with the killings of any animals, wild or pets.

Fair point, but if these seals multiply to uncontrollable numbers and start affecting fish reserves, what does a government do in such a case?

I too am completly against these killings, but considering that they have to implement some sort of cull to control the balance, I wish they use a more humane method.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
This only truth in the thread starter is the number : 325 000. Everything else is false.

Funny how BBC, CNN, AP, Reuters etc. all talk rubbish...

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
The hunting of young seal has been totally banned in 1991. Only adult can be killed.

Up to 325,000 young harp seal pups could be killed in the coming weeks. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4844008.stm

The contentious harp seal hunt, the target of protests since the 1960s, begins about two weeks after the seal pups are born and their fur changes from white to gray.
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050401_seal_hunt.html

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
The seals do not suffer. Nor do they cry; they are not human beings.

Aldworth said she had listened to some seals crying, likely for their mothers, which whelp on the ice floes every spring. http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050401_seal_hunt.html

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
Meanwhile, in Iraq...

People are dying...

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:47 am

On of my favorite MAX-X film sequences is when that seal hunter takes off after that cameraman a few years back.

The only reason PETA goes after this hunt is because it is easy to rally against, the seals have big dark eyes.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Qb001

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:54 am

My mistake, I did confuse seals that have lost their white fur with adults. I stand corrected.

But still, seals die instantly, and therefore could not "cry". Believing that seals cry is pure anthropomorphism.

And by the way, another mistake I made is to say that the seal population is over 5 millions. It is actually close to 6 millions, nearly triple the population of the 1970s.

Can we put a little rationnal back into this debate?

JoKeR
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting QB001 (Reply 6):
Can we put a little rationnal back into this debate?

If you read my initial post, I do say that the Canadian Government is taking a step that may likely be necessary in order to balance the ecosystem.

The controversy comes with the method used in killing young seals? For a country as advanced and modern like Canada, one would have thought that by now they would have implemented a less gruesome culling technique?

How is this story being treated in Canada? Is everyone supporting it or is there plenty of opposition?

Aleksandar

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:09 am

Well, the scenes I've seen from Canada are ugly. I won't go much into debate whether it is necessary or not, because I don't know much about it but it does look ugly.

[Edited 2006-03-25 19:10:15]
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 am

I honestly have never heard of a seal hunt in Canada until recently. Now, is this something that happens every year, or is this the first time it's happened in a while? Now it could very well be me not paying attention to the news in past years if it has happened, or is this just the 'cause of the year' for the animal activists.

Either way I am indifferent about the subject, if the hunters make a living off of this and it' been done for years then I suppose I don't mind if they continue.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 9):
Well, the scenes I've seen from Canada are ugly.

Well it is a hunt, killing gods creatures, by definition it isn't pretty, just part of survival.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 10):
Now, is this something that happens every year, or is this the first time it's happened in a while?

Only about 100 years.

The Toronto Red Star ran a series of stories about this hunt a couple of years ago, and I posted links to them. They are still live links so let me bring that story back.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...geid=968332188774&col=968350116467

There are 6 or seven stories in the serial and you can link them from the Star Website.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 7):
The controversy comes with the method used in killing young seals? For a country as advanced and modern like Canada, one would have thought that by now they would have implemented a less gruesome culling technique?

Dude, they shoot them. Seals are actually quite quick and don't go far from their holes.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 11):
Dude, they shoot them. Seals are actually quite quick and don't go far from their holes.

Dude, they don't, the club them with harpoons.

BR076

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 7):
For a country as advanced and modern like Canada, one would have thought that by now they would have implemented a less gruesome culling technique?

It seemed not that advanced as we thought, it's barbaric  yuck 
ú

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 12):
Dude, they don't, the club them with harpoons.

Dude this is a photo from that Toronto Star arcticle about a hunt a couple of years ago. It is of one of the hunters with the tool of his trade.

Doesn't look like a harpoon to me. And anybody who has seen a war movie or a western knows, if he is going to use it as a club he is holding it on the wrong end.

If you are going to use a rifle as a club you grab it by the barrel with both hands!

boeingfanyyz

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
If you are going to use a rifle as a club you grab it by the barrel with both hands!

Well, the thing is most seal hunters choose NOT to use rifles because there is too much room for error (i.e. they miss and the seal runs away, they do not hit the head and the seal becomes worth nothing).

By the way, I recall the hunteres only being allowed to kill 91,000 seals.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 15):
Well, the thing is most seal hunters choose NOT to use rifles because there is too much room for error (i.e. they miss and the seal runs away, they do not hit the head and the seal becomes worth nothing).

Same deal with trapping, doesn't make the hide worthless but it does knock the price down a bit if you put extra holes in it, Which is why you want to go for the head shot, or if it is a smaller animal that you feel safe doing with, you snap the animals neck....standard procedure for trapping Ermine.

AC320

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 7):
The controversy comes with the method used in killing young seals?

A 2002 report in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that "the large majority of seals taken during this hunt … are killed in an acceptably humane manner." This study found that 98 per cent of hunted seals it examined had been killed properly. The federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) cites this study among others as proof that the hunt opponents are wrong in their accusations of widespread cruelty. And regarding the "skinning alive" charge, the DFO says appearances can be deceiving. "Sometimes a seal may appear to be moving after it has been killed," the DFO says. "However, seals have a swimming reflex that is active, even after death. This reflex falsely appears as though the animal is still alive when it is clearly dead – similar to the reflex in chickens."

Furthermore, the DFO says the club, or "hakapik," used by many sealers is "an efficient tool" that kills "quickly and humanely." The Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada found that clubbing, when properly performed, is at least as humane as killing methods in commercial slaughterhouses. Opponents say clubbing often isn't "properly performed."

The federal government acknowledges that it has laid more than 200 charges against sealers since 1996, but argues that shows it's serious about enforcing its regulations.

Highlights are mine, Sourced from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sealhunt/
fuddle duddle

Qb001

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:07 am

Hunters can only use the club when there is enough ice to stand on. But given global warming, the ice is melting too quickly these days and that's why seals, more and more, are killed by rifles.

A346Dude

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:14 am

You know what's an even bigger tragedy? Every day, 14 million animals are slaughtered for meat consumption in the United States alone. And guess what, these animals often die a similarly horrible death as do the seal pups - the machines used to slit the throats of chickens, for example, do not always kill the birds before they are boiled.

Chickens aren't as cute as little baby seals, so somehow this is okay.

I would prefer that the seal hunt did not go ahead, but it pales in comparison to the other ways we mistreat animals every day.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Arrow

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
The only reason PETA goes after this hunt is because it is easy to rally against, the seals have big dark eyes.

Right on the money. I use this issue as a case study in my media relations classes to show the importance of raw emotion (as opposed to rationality) that is fundamental to creating a page one story.

Brigitte Bardot (30 years ago) and Paul McCartney can get their mugs all over the front page by cuddling up to a cuddly seal. But what about some of the at-risk species in the world -- like certain species of rattlesnakes, or tarantulas. Can you see them cuddling up to one of those to keep people from whacking them with shovels whenever they show up? Not likely.

Think too of the millions of fish species hoovered up by the world's fishing fleets, to the point of species extinction (like the Atlantic cod that the seals love to eat). Anyone want their picture taken saving a cute codfish? Where was Paul McCartney when the combined fleets were decimating the cod stocks? Probably enjoying his fish and chips.

And how about all those folks who like lamb chops? or Veal? Ever seen what they do to a newborn calf to make it a good source of tender veal?

The hypocrisy in a lot of these high profile, Greenpeace/PETA-inspired causes is staggering. Read the signature on the bottom of my posts, and you'll get the idea.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

pawsleykat

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:20 am

It's INHUMANE and DISGUSTING and SICK. How can people want to do that. Seals are dead cute!

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

luisca

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 24):
It's INHUMANE and DISGUSTING and SICK. How can people want to do that. Seals are dead cute!

But they can reek havoc on the ecosystem if there populations are not controlled.

Who are seals' natural predators?. Maybe if Shark populations were hogger then we wouldn't have to kill them ourselves.

Also, do the natives get a share of the cull? this could be a good way for them to make some money.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 24):

It's not all that hard really. Baby calf are cute too, but we use them for veal.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

aerorobnz

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:08 am

I hope they are eating them, and using their fur skins as resources.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NIKV69

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:13 am

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
The technique used to kill the seals puts them to death instantly, as it crushes their cerebellum. The seals do not suffer. Nor do they cry; they are not human beings.

Oh please you are full of it! Most of them don't die instantly. Canada should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to go on. It is absolutley disgusting.

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
The opposition to this hunt is totally irrationnal.

I tell you what I will come to your house and beat you in the head with a club till you die and then skin you. Then you can tell us how irrational our opposition is.

Quoting Qb001 (Reply 2):
Meanwhile, in Iraq...

Oh will you stop already, I know you need to bring up Iraq to try to divert the attention away from the fact that the seal hunt is wrong but it is lame.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 11):
just part of survival

We need seal skin to survive? There is no need to kill seals.

Quoting QB001 (Reply 6):
Can we put a little rationnal back into this debate

There is no reason to kill seals. Canada's goverment is afraid to do the right thing, which is not a surprise.

Quoting Oroka (Reply 21):
It is kinda silly. If any one of you who said it is cruel have eaten a hamburger, steak, Chicken burger, fish, tuna sandwich... you are a hipocrite.

Oh please, they are killed for consumption! Not luxury, this argument is a joke. We don't eat seal fur.

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 22):
You know what's an even bigger tragedy? Every day, 14 million animals are slaughtered for meat consumption in the United States alone. And guess what, these animals often die a similarly horrible death as do the seal pups - the machines used to slit the throats of chickens, for example, do not always kill the birds before they are boiled.

Chickens aren't as cute as little baby seals, so somehow this is okay.

This is not true, chicken slaughter is humane, how do you know they don't always kill the bird? And besides chickens are killed to eat, not to wear.

Quoting Luisca (Reply 25):
But they can reek havoc on the ecosystem if there populations are not controlled

How?
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Canada should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to go on. It is absolutley disgusting.

I'm not ashamed of it, I'm not proud of it, for most Canadians, I don't think we really care all that much. That could just be me though.

There is no reason to kill seals. Canada's goverment is afraid to do the right thing, which is not a surprise.

It's been going on for so long, I don't think anyone here is about to change that, no matter how many times Bridget Bardot comes whining.

Nordair

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:21 am

I see you brought your hypocrisy over to this thread as well. Now you can look like a fool here too.
 bigthumbsup 
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

NIKV69

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 25):
I'm not ashamed of it, I'm not proud of it, for most Canadians, I don't think we really care all that much. That could just be me though.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 25):
It's been going on for so long, I don't think anyone here is about to change that, no matter how many times Bridget Bardot comes whining.

Yea God forbid you or your country grow some testicles, better to just ignore it. You guys are great at that.

Quoting Nordair (Reply 26):
I see you brought your hypocrisy over to this thread as well. Now you can look like a fool here too.

Not really, I am not a hyporcite, I don't condone the inhumane slaughter of an animal for nothing more than money, there is no reason to kill seals, you don'r eat them. You just cruely slaughter them and then try to compare it to everything from our humane slaugherhouses which we use for food to the war in Iraq, you sir are the fool.

joness0154

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
Oh please you are full of it! Most of them don't die instantly. Canada should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to go on. It is absolutley disgusting.

This is not true, chicken slaughter is humane, how do you know they don't always kill the bird? And besides chickens are killed to eat, not to wear.

No shit? I didn't know you worked in the sealing AND chicken industries?!?!
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

bushpilot

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 1):
I disagree with the killing of any animals.

Funny, because killing and eating animals is what allowed the brain into what is considered a human brain. It is because some other form of human like life thousands of years ago decided to eat meat, I dont know about anyone else, but I prefer my animals dead before I eat them.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
The only reason PETA goes after this hunt is because it is easy to rally against

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 9):
or is this just the 'cause of the year' for the animal activists.

spot on both of you.

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 23):
I hope they are eating them, and using their fur skins as resources.

They are, seals are a vital renewable resource in that area, they are harvested for thier fur and meat, the hunters are paid x amount for x amount of seal. I wonder how many people against this hunt would be the same ones complaining about having to pay for thier unemployment welfare because this is a remote area with few jobs available. This seal hunt is managed with care, seals are a renewable resource, they want to bring numbers down but not to remove them entirely.

tell you what I will come to your house and beat you in the head with a club till you die and then skin you. Then you can tell us how irrational our opposition is.

How irrational is this statement, your offering up to kill and skin someone, then after they are dead they can tell you about more irrational opposition?

We need seal skin to survive?

Some do yes.

There is no reason to kill seals.

I can think of plenty, lets ask you for a good reason not to kill them. I am not talking about making them extinct. But seriously, just because you think it is wrong somehow just on principle, you can do your part by not buying seal and fur products but why does it matter if someone else wants to? These are not an endangered species, would you rather the population grow to large and then have them starve a slow painful death? Then to which country would you bitch at?

A346Dude

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:57 am

This is not true, chicken slaughter is humane, how do you know they don't always kill the bird?

Millions are killed every day. Do you think every blade in every slaughterhouse around the world kills every (struggling and flexible) chicken, every time?

And besides chickens are killed to eat, not to wear.

And that makes it acceptable how?
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Nordair

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
You just cruely slaughter them

I've never slaughtered any living creature, but I must admit, you tempt me.
 Big grin
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 20):
Seals are dead cute!

I hear they taste cute too, and are high in Omega-3 oils that lower cholesterol levels.

We need seal skin to survive? There is no need to kill seals.

There is no need to kill trees because we can make houses out of metal, there is no need to kill carrots because we can eat peas, There is no need to kill cows because we could always eat chikin.

The native peoples usually picked their furs because of their individual characheristics...Seal was generally used for boots and gloves, Parkas where made out of Caribou hide-because the hairs are hollow, the ruffs around hoods where often made of wolverine fur whenever possible because ice doesn't cake around it from the wearers breathi.

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 am

Yea God forbid you or your country grow some testicles, better to just ignore it.

I'll be the first to admit that Canada is in many ways a passive country, but with regards to this issue, it's tradition, and whether or not I like it, it won't stop, they will do it legally or illegally. Besides, this will blow over as soon as the seal hunt is done, and probably rear it's head next year, and the next, and the next... It's a good eye-catching 'cause of the day.'

skyservice_330

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:21 am

*yawn* .....same hunt, same yappy opposition, different year. Overall, I would say Canadians are pretty accustom to the hunt. We recognize it is part of our heritage and history and that hundreds of coastal communities are dependant on it for their livelihood. As long as all the rules are being followed and the seal population is flourishing then there is nothing to be concerned about.

NIKV69

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 33):
it's tradition,

Now I have heard it all.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 33):
It's a good eye-catching 'cause of the day.'

No actually it is only newsworthy at these times, there are people that work year round to try to stop this stupidity, you call them terrorists.

milan320

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:28 am

Gee, if only the world would have been on our side when the Spaniards were over-fishing in our waters, the maritimers wouldn't have the economic problems they do now with low fish-stocks - which will dwindle even more thanks to an over-population of seals.

I wonder if Dickie Cheaney will be joining the hunt though  Smile

Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):
There is no need to kill cows because we could always eat chikin.

Eat chicken without killing it? How so exactly? I smell some hipocrisy here.
But if you imply the chickens are killed humanely, think again.
One needs to look only at their cages to see there is nothing humane about mass chicken farms.
-Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):

No actually it is only newsworthy at these times, there are people that work year round to try to stop this stupidity, you call them terrorists.

Excuse me, I have never called them terrorists.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):

Now I have heard it all.

Well it is for those fisherman, like it or not.

milan320

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 am

Not really, I am not a hyporcite, I don't condone the inhumane slaughter of an animal for nothing more than money, there is no reason to kill seals, you don'r eat them.

Actually the Inuit who do hunt seals for food eat them ... and eat them very economcially. No part of the seal is wasted. Maybe check your facts first. And instead of worrying about the seal hunt, perhaps turn your attention to the inhumane treatment of peoples your country is doing in Iraq. That's for oil, which is barter in the end, just like money.

-Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 36):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):
There is no need to kill cows because we could always eat chikin.

Eat chicken without killing it? How so exactly? I smell some hipocrisy here

You haven't seen the T-shirt with all the cows holding up the sign saying "Eat more Chiken'"

NIKV69

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 38):
inhumane treatment of peoples your country is doing in Iraq. That's for oil, which is barter in the end, just like money.

After reading this it becomes clear that people in Canada are very out of touch. Which is why this hunt continues.

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):

After reading this it becomes clear that people in Canada are very out of touch.

I don't know about that, I support the operation in Iraq, and am also not disgusted with the seal hunt. So perhaps I'm just a little out of touch?

bushpilot

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):
After reading this it becomes clear that people in Canada are very out of touch. Which is why this hunt continues.

WOW, that is the funniest thing I have read all day. I have read your posts on animal rights in two different threads. None of them have a single valid point, and to attack a country for this is a waste of your bandwidth. Seals are hunted and killed everyday in the state of Alaska. It happens in your country as well. The animals are not killed for the sake of killing them, they are a resource, the meat is consumed, the fur is used, the oil is used three different ways, as food, it was used medicinally and still is, and the oil can be burned for light and heat.
In this thread much like the other folks who have posted against the hunt dont have much in the way of argument based on facts. I doubt you even read the BBC article, in the article it says that adults only are killed and the seal is used in various products. Your only argument against this has been that its disgusting! So are a lot of other things, get over it. If you want to participate in the discussion and not appear to be an ignorant hypocrit with the wool pulled over your eyes then come up with a few reasons that are real and arguable reasons not to have this hunt. Than besides its disgusting.

photopilot

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:45 am

Well the pot sure does like calling the kettle black.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE AMERICANS ON THIS THREAD NEED TO READ THIS......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04350/426877.stm
and
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/cbdmp.htm

A few selected quotes.....

Trained sharpshooters from the USDA Wildlife Service will move in at night, kill deer living on township land and neatly remove the carcass "without anyone knowing they were ever there," said Gary Fujak, a Pennsylvania Game Commission wildlife conservation officer......
....."This is not hunting," Fujak told those in attendance at a meeting last week. "This is like a SWAT team, but instead of taking down terrorists, they will be taking out deer."

and this

....the Division of Fish and Wildlife has taken steps to manage deer populations by lengthening the hunting seasons, increasing the bag limits, increasing the number of hunting permits issued, and offering incentives for hunters to harvest more antlerless deer (does and fawns).

Well imagine that. They are using SWAT teams to "cull" deer herds in Pennsylvania, and in New Jersey they are even allowing the murder of baby antlerless deer (does and fawns) simply because there are too many deer. Imagine, killing poor little bambi because he/she is in the way.

Well if murdering your wildlife is good enough for the Americans to practice at home, how dare you even speak of Canadian fisherman culling the seal herd for useable products such as fur, oil, food, etc.

Take a hike until your own backyard is clean. Stop pissing in ours.

Nordair

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 43):
Take a hike until your own backyard is clean. Stop pissing in ours.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

VonRichtofen

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Leave it to the Brits and the Europeans to totally misunderstand the whole reason for the hunt in the first place. It's called conservation, how much un-developed land is int he UK? How many species have been wiped off the island? These hunts are necessary to keep seal population at a healthy level. If they didn't hunt the seals their numbers would explode and would threaten the balance of a fragile ecosystem which could cause other species (less cute ones) to go extinct.

Is it gruesome? Yes, it's a hunt. Of course it's not going to be pretty. Grow a pair and stop using arguments like "how can they do this? Seals are so cute". You sound like school girls. You probably wouldn't give a rats ass if 5 species of fish went completely extinct if it meant some cute wittle seals didn't die  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

Kris

ltbewr

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:59 pm

I would think that the demand for these seal's fur has dropped off a lot as wearing fur has become politically incorrect and has sharply declined in the Americas and Europe. If that is true, then the price of the seals should have declined and the quanity of seals hunted and killed.
As to the culling of deer in New Jersey and parts of Pennsylvania, with wide latitude to kill even young deer, it is probably better than starving to death or getting hit by a car. The deer eat up people's landscaping, they can cause major accidents with possible human fatalities and seroius injuries when the deer get hit by drivers with increases in the car insurance premiums for all.

L-188

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 46):
I would think that the demand for these seal's fur has dropped off a lot as wearing fur has become politically incorrect and has sharply declined in the Americas and Europe. If that is true, then the price of the seals should have declined and the quanity of seals hunted and killed.

Fur prices did collapse in the early 1980's and 90's as stupid people in Europe and the US demonized the industry. As a result fur farms dropped off the planet, and only a few people kept up trapping.

As reasonable people begin to relize that fur is an enviromentally friendly, humane material to make clothing from, plus renewed interest from Asia that never had the oddball eniromental nutcase hangups prices have risen, but not back to where they once war.

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 43):
Well if murdering your wildlife is good enough for the Americans to practice at home, how dare you even speak of Canadian fisherman culling the seal herd for useable products such as fur, oil, food, etc.

HEY!!! I was on your side!!!!

I think it was Conneticut or Vermont that banned the trapping of Beaver and Nutria on crealty grounds. It only took a couple of years for the populations to explode to the point where they where causing a lot of troubles particluarly with their habit of damming culverts and causing extensive road damage. The state ended up having to hire "Professionals" to go in and poison and trap the Beaver. Which cost them both a lot of money in paying the "experts" and defending the program against enviromentalist nusance lawsuits.

All this for something that used to be done for free by the trappers.

agill

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:09 pm

I don't get why you sometimes get these outroars. Is it just because seals are cute? I mean over here we shoot at least 100 000 elks and God knows how many dear every year, without anyone except for some small organisations objecting.

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting Agill (Reply 48):
I don't get why you sometimes get these outroars. Is it just because seals are cute? I mean over here we shoot at least 100 000 elks and God knows how many dear every year, without anyone except for some small organisations objecting.

I think your right, it's very easy to make seals look cute and much like a pet that everyone would like to have.