Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:12 am

[rant] I'm sorry, but as far as the topic goes:

and as far as me clicking on this link:

and as far as my opinion:

suspend the students
cancel prom
suspend w/o pay all board members
fire the principle [/rant]
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

satx

RE: Colorado High School Bans US Flag

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
Best be damned glad I'm not in that grid square, I'd be parading around in front of that school with the Stars and Stripes flying high!

Then, unless I'm misunderstanding your words, you'd intentionally try to stir up even more trouble under the thinly veiled guise of exercising your civil rights?

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):
The US Citizen students will now blame the Illegal Mexican Immigrant students for the ban on "their US Flag" along with the other problems the school is/was facing. . . . more gas on the fire.

I suspect, fairly soon, there'll be flat out violence . . . .

Only if they have irrationally patriotic parents acting as you described above to go throw the gas. You've yet to explain in specific terms what you would have done to actually solve the problem. Instead you just keep bashing what the administrators are attempting even though this is the same tactic you have repeatedly admonished others for.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 26):

Welcome to modern US political correctness.

Isn't 'political correctness' also what allows women and minorities to vote? Do you have a problem with that as well? They apparently banned all flags. Seems like a reasonable call to me.

This is the United States of America. It is our national flag. That gutless principal had no business banning the flag outright. While I would have no problem with his supending a student who used the flag to harass or intimidate, how is the simple act of wearing a flag on my shirt an act of intimidation, contempt, or xenophobia?

I've been part of both a majority and a minority in school and I know damn well how little it takes to get the intimidation rolling. You appear to be pleading ignorance to something obvious and it doesn't do much for your cause in my view. Also, how can you say this principal is "gutless" when it's so obvious that plenty of folks are going ballistic over these actions? It looks like it actually took a lot of guts to make this decision. How would you hold up after having to make this decision only to find most of America standing against you?

When I see a demonstration of supposed loyal American citizens protesting a proposed law waving nothing but Mexican flags, I have to wonder just how loyal they really are......

Statements like that sound a lot like the folks who advocated interment camps for Japanese Americans during WWII. Maybe we haven't matured that much as a nation after all.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
OK, here we go . . . let me explain this simple - rather elementary (read that: easy for you to understand) ideal here 777: The flag represents that very freedom you describe . . . get it? It truly is a simple concept.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them stupid or ignorant.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 37):

It could also represent torture in Guantanamo, execution of people who were children when they committed their crime, isolationism, obesity, ignorance, nationalism, imperialism and all much more. Seeing a flag as a metaphor is entirely subjective.

Exactly.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
However - banning the US Flag in a US School is - without doubt - assinine. It's a cheap shot by a lousy school administrator who can't handle the students he has . . . and it solved nothing.

The only "cheap shot" I can see is where you keep referring to the US flag being banned while conveniently leaving out that all flags were banned.

I hate repeating myself .

You have no idea how much I WISH that were true.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
Displaying the US flag is not a "loophole." Basically, the school administration took the easy - and coward's - way out.

Please explain how taking on the patriotic views of most Americas is somehow a "coward's way out".
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

LOT767-300ER

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 49):
Wisconsin law requires the flag to be displayed:

118.06(1)

(1) Every school board and the governing body of every private school shall cause the U.S. flag to be displayed in the schoolroom or from a flagstaff on each school ground during the school hours of each school day.

What? a sane Wisconsin law? Gasp...let me get some air.

yyz717

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:34 am

However - banning the US Flag in a US School is - without doubt - assinine.

Let's see.....I read in the newspaper yesterday that an estimated 250k New Orleans residents are still effectively homeless...living in shelters since the hurricane. With no likelihood of housing provision any time soon.

And you're whining about a stupid flag banning? WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES?
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

777236ER

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 53):

It's free to whine.
Your bone's got a little machine

yyz717

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 54):
It's free to whine.

Oh, I know. But I really question the morals and ethics of Americans who wrap themselves in the flag in some kind of nonsensical orgasmic intensity while homeless people and gun murders abound around them.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
I do. This is the United States of America. It is our national flag. That gutless principal had no business banning the flag outright.

Sure he does. He's responsible for the school. Now, had he just banned the American flag, then I'd take serious issue with it. But he banned ALL flags, until people can cool off, why is that a problem?

Why can't the principal simply address and discipline those thugs who abuse what the flag stands for instead of banning it entirely?

I mean, if someone was speeding through the school parking lot would he ban cars, or would he discipline the individual speeder?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

yanksn4

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:55 am

Another example of the brilliance the Colorado education system has sarcastic  Unfortunately I've still got another year in this system. Oye.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

767Lover

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Isn't 'political correctness' also what allows women and minorities to vote?

No. That's human or civil rights.

halls120

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Isn't 'political correctness' also what allows women and minorities to vote? Do you have a problem with that as well? They apparently banned all flags. Seems like a reasonable call to me.

Nope. If you are going to call me a racist or sexist, why not just come out and say so?

Banning our own national flag at a building paid for by taxpayers because it is offensive is just about the dumbest thing I've heard of in a long time, and symptomatic of our headlong rush in some quarters of society to placate everyone at the expense of our own national values.

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
I've been part of both a majority and a minority in school and I know damn well how little it takes to get the intimidation rolling. You appear to be pleading ignorance to something obvious and it doesn't do much for your cause in my view. Also, how can you say this principal is "gutless" when it's so obvious that plenty of folks are going ballistic over these actions? It looks like it actually took a lot of guts to make this decision. How would you hold up after having to make this decision only to find most of America standing against you?

Should students be allowed to use any symbol to intimidate other students? No. But the principal in question was gutless because instead of suspending only those students who were using the flag to cause trouble, he banned the flag outright.

I wouldn't have made the decision he did, so I wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Statements like that sound a lot like the folks who advocated interment camps for Japanese Americans during WWII.

How you made the jump from what I said regarding the loyalty of people waving Mexican flags during a demonstration in the United States to "internment camp" illustrates how close-minded you are. I would never advocate such a thing. I was merely pointing out the oddity of people advocating for change to US laws exercising a right to free speech and assembly doing so not under the banner that guarantees those rights, but under the banner of a country that apparently isn't all that great a place to live. Or are all these immigrants here because Mexico is a paradise they just can't bear to live in?  sarcastic 

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Please explain how taking on the patriotic views of most Americas is somehow a "coward's way out".

I already did. See above. And below.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 56):
Why can't the principal simply address and discipline those thugs who abuse what the flag stands for instead of banning it entirely?

I mean, if someone was speeding through the school parking lot would he ban cars, or would he discipline the individual speeder?

Because that would require him to do his job. Something he apparently isn't interested in doing.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:31 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Then, unless I'm misunderstanding your words, you'd intentionally try to stir up even more trouble under the thinly veiled guise of exercising your civil rights?

Call it what you will - I'd be parading around the perimeter of that school with a US flag in hand . . . . and it would have nothing to do with my "civil rights" and everything to do with that fact that this is the United States - banning the National Ensign for whatever reason is simply assinine . . . as Halls said - a cowards way out.

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Isn't 'political correctness' also what allows women and minorities to vote?

Ummm, no - NOW you're talking Civil Rights. Not political correctness. Missed again SATX.

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them stupid or ignorant.

Correct - and I stated as much, but I see you conveniently failed to quote that part. Just makes it easier for you to attempt to make a point when none exists . . . par for the course with you.

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
The only "cheap shot" I can see is where you keep referring to the US flag being banned while conveniently leaving out that all flags were banned.

Don't give a shit about the other flags - really . . . .

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):
I hate repeating myself .

You have no idea how much I WISH that were true.

Well, SATX, sometimes it's forced upon me - otherwise the frackin' nutjobs here would take over . . . and some things bear repeating . . .

Let's see.....I read in the newspaper yesterday that an estimated 250k New Orleans residents are still effectively homeless...living in shelters since the hurricane. With no likelihood of housing provision any time soon.

Nice shot YYz - off base and completely irrelevent to the thread - but most of your posts are off base and irrelevenet anyway.

As for NOLA - self-inflicted wound in many respects . . . wanna discuss NOLA, start another thread. Wanna talk about Longmont and the US flag stick around. Otherwise, you're wasting your time and everyone else's.

Exactly where they ought to be . . . . next stupid question?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

DC10GUY

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:47 am

Sounds like that school was trying to get a grip on a bad situation. I love how the rightwing spin doctors spin things like this. First they make it appear they (the right wing nuts) are the only ones standing up for the "flag" and all it stands for. At the same time they take a few swipes on their favorite target .... them damn liberal, union loving schools ... Bravo well done.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

usnseallt82

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Boy doesn't this just chap your ass . . . .

I agree. Regardless of whether or not it was someone's lame ass attempt for a joke, I can think of better ways to amuse myself.

Pathetic.
Crye me a river

yyz717

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 60):

Exactly where they ought to be . . . . next stupid question?

Exactly. Worrying about a stupid flag banning while 250k (or 1 in 1000) Americans remain homeless after a hurricane. In other words, in the gutter.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 63):
Exactly. Worrying about a stupid flag banning while 250k (or 1 in 1000) Americans remain homeless after a hurricane. In other words, in the gutter.

And until they can mooch another couple Billion they'll stay that way because they won't get off their ass and try to do for themselves . . . give me a break.

Like I said, wanna talk about NOLA, start a thread - otherwise, you're posts are irrelevent and wasting everyone's time.

You really are beginning - in short order - to get boring.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

yyz717

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 64):
Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 63):

And until they can mooch another couple Billion they'll stay that way because they won't get off their ass and try to do for themselves . . . give me a break.

If you were born black and poor, that might be you. A nation is judged by the treatment of its disadvantaged.....why don't you go help your fellow (black) Americans in NOLA and drop this silly flag obsession?

Unlike you I suppose, who makes about 30 posts a day and has become the most prolific poster in anet history?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 65):
If you were born black and poor, that might be you. A nation is judged by the treatment of its disadvantaged.....why don't you go help your fellow (black) Americans in NOLA and drop this silly flag obsession?

Why don't you worry about YYZ717 and Canada and not me or my "silly flag obsession" . . .

As for helping my fellow American's - black, white, hispanic, asian, native, what have you - I've been doing that for thirty years. Can you make the same claim.

Enough of you and your prattle - you're really a bore.

Falcon84

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 66):

And I thought he had gone for good, Pep.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

DC10GUY

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:51 am

Flag burning is an exercise in free speech. Being hit or other wise hurt with a / the flag is not ... I love a good flag burning and I love to watch them right wing wackos go nuts when it happens ... I wonder if they will ever figue out why people burn flags ???
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

usnseallt82

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:54 am

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 68):
I wonder if they will ever figue out why people burn flags ???

The short bus usually comes to mind.
Crye me a river

yyz717

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:02 pm

Why don't you worry about YYZ717 and Canada and not me or my "silly flag obsession" . . .

Why don't you post on a US-only website if you don't want foreign commentary on your silly flag obsession?

Not as boring as your silly chest thumping faux patriotism just because someone bans a silly flag. Not to mention the mindless drivel in your other 30 posts/day.

Flag burning is an exercise in free speech. Being hit or other wise hurt with a / the flag is not ... I love a good flag burning and I love to watch them right wing wackos go nuts when it happens ... I wonder if they will ever figue out why people burn flags ???

Exactly. Flag burning is as much an exercise in freedom as is flag banning. The main point is that either is rather harmless - nobody gets killed or hurt. But yes I agree it's amusing to see the right wing wack jobs get bent out of shape.  Smile

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 59):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 56):

Because that would require him to do his job. Something he apparently isn't interested in doing.

checkmark 

That is exactly why his policy is backwards - he's punishing everyone instead of singling out the guilty.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gunsontheroof

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Reading some of the responses to this thread gave me a headache. Long live a.net.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Greyhound

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
Quoting 777236ER (Reply 37):
Exactly what is your education? Exactly how many retired soldiers / law enforcement officers have good degrees?

Virtually every officer in the US armed forces has a bachelor's degree, and most have one or two graduate degrees. In the senior enlisted ranks, bachelor's degrees are very common.

Nice try, though.

Indeed.. Not even to mention that as you are approaching the Senior Enlisted Ranks having an associate's degree (at bare minimum) is required to make rank (at least in the Navy) like Senior Chief.. Master Chief. Not to mention the huge push that's been going on for several years now to get junior enlisted sailors to take some classes when they can. It has been encouraged at every command I've been at so far, big or small.

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 69):
I wonder if they will ever figue out why people burn flags ???

The short bus usually comes to mind.

ahh the Monday morning cartoons never end... hahahahaha..... I needed to read something like that  Smile
29th, Let's Go!

KaiGywer

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 49):
Wisconsin law requires the flag to be displayed:

I found this kinda amusing. From the Colorado Revised Statutes:

27-2-108. Display of flags.
(c) On and after September 1, 1996, the chief administrative officer of any school supported in whole or in part by the state and under the control of the state shall cause to be displayed permanently and prominently the flag of the United States, as described in chapter 1 of title 4, U.S.C., in each academic classroom when an academic class is in session. A flag displayed in an academic classroom shall measure no less than either twelve by eighteen inches if it is displayed in a frame or two by three feet if it is displayed on a flagstaff.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LHMark

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 pm

This article should be clipped and used in a J-school ethics class. It's inflammatory and misrepresentative.

Do you guys think the principal said to his staff "Today, I will ban the American Flag, and other national flags, as well?" I doubt it. There was tension between nationalities in the student body. The flags were the weapon. He took it away. Smart call. Keep the politics on CNN where, apparently, they belong.

If American students are upset by this move, I'd suggest a petition around the school's neighborhood. Get the private houses to all fly the flag. Then all the principal, staff, and students of all nationalities have to do is look out the window...
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

slider

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:08 pm

Horseshit - if illegals don't like the US Flag, let them take their illegal ass outta here . . . that simple.

Amen- leave it to you to be the voice of reason. Big grin

Quoting SATX (Reply 51):

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer.

You're damned right I'd be flying the flag. Not in someone's face or to taunt anyone, but because WE ARE AMERICANS. Schools should always have a flag flying. Students should be taught to respect it.

This principal is a weak-kneed coward. Taking the intellectually lazy and doshonest way out---punish all for the sake of the actions of a very few. And in this case, the action happens to be so heinously unconstitutional, morally reprehensible and disgusting, the guy ought to be terminated immediately.

VSlover

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 71):
That is exactly why his policy is backwards - he's punishing everyone instead of singling out the guilty.

well when the few can incite a few hundred kids, yeah it becomes an issue. remember, kids are idiots and many will simply follow along with whatever.

by banning flags, he has banned the item some students chose to incite problems through the school. its not as though the kids were actually using those flags for the greater good, but quite the opposite.

satx

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 58):
No. That's human or civil rights.

I didn't explain myself very well the first time, so perhaps you'll allow me to elaborate here.

Although you are certainly correct that the right to vote is a civil right, it is also my position that the same types of people who originally supported this right for everyone back before it eventually became law are the same types of folks who support the values attributed to political correctness now. Thus, although they are not identical they still represent a similar philosophy in my opinion.

Nope. If you are going to call me a racist or sexist, why not just come out and say so?

I merely asked you a question, which you are of course free to answer (or not answer) any way you choose. As for answering your question, all I can say is that I didn't 'come out and say so' because I do not consider you to be a racist or a sexist.

Banning our own national flag at a building paid for by taxpayers because it is offensive is just about the dumbest thing I've heard of in a long time, and symptomatic of our headlong rush in some quarters of society to placate everyone at the expense of our own national values.

If this was honestly an attempt to merely 'placate everyone' then how do you explain the massive outcry against it? Certainly it wouldn't have been too hard to see that many Americans would not be 'placated' by this decision. Therefore your contention that this was a coward's attempt to avoid making tough decisions is both erroneous and irrational in my view.

Should students be allowed to use any symbol to intimidate other students? No. But the principal in question was gutless because instead of suspending only those students who were using the flag to cause trouble, he banned the flag outright.

Actually, the flag is still displayed in every classroom, in common areas, in the gym, offices, and on the school's flagpole from what I understand. How is that the same thing as 'banning the flag outright?'

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4711712

I wouldn't have made the decision he did, so I wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

In other words, you would have made a decision that was rather devoid of widespread overt controversy? That actually sounds more like the 'gutless' appeasement you've been accusing the principal of.

How you made the jump from what I said regarding the loyalty of people waving Mexican flags during a demonstration in the United States to "internment camp" illustrates how close-minded you are.

Perhaps you fail to see that your flat refusal to acknowledge any similarity whatsoever betrays your own closed mind?

I would never advocate such a thing. I was merely pointing out the oddity of people advocating for change to US laws exercising a right to free speech and assembly doing so not under the banner that guarantees those rights, but under the banner of a country that apparently isn't all that great a place to live.

Pointing out the 'oddity' of the story and questioning an entire group's loyalty to their country of residence are two entirely different perspectives in my view. So far as I could tell you seemed more interested in promoting the latter.

banning the National Ensign for whatever reason is simply assinine . . . as Halls said - a cowards way out.

I have already refuted that claim in my replies to Halls. You are free to respond if you feel I have not explain my views adequately.

Ummm, no - NOW you're talking Civil Rights. Not political correctness. Missed again SATX.

As I explained above, both movements have similar motivations and goals, respective of their eras, in my view. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Correct - and I stated as much, but I see you conveniently failed to quote that part. Just makes it easier for you to attempt to make a point when none exists . . . par for the course with you.

Here is a clip from what I consider to be a balanced report on the story...

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4711712

Notice how the second line explains that all flags of all nationalities were banned for use by students. Also notice that even this short article readily explains that the flag is not banned entirely as it is still displayed where you would expect it to be displayed in most any such school, minus a few students. Why can't your posts read more like this?

Don't give a shit about the other flags - really . . . .

That's not the point. The point is that you're intentionally throwing fuel on the fire by knowingly leaving out critical details.

Well, SATX, sometimes it's forced upon me - otherwise the frackin' nutjobs here would take over . . . and some things bear repeating . . .

Forced? Are you really telling us that you are merely a slave to an internet forum?

Otherwise, you're wasting your time and everyone else's.

&

otherwise, you're posts are irrelevent and wasting everyone's time.

&

&

If the folks who actually moderate the site can live with these so-called 'nutjobs' then why can't you?

When I was in school I didn't see many folks parading flags around of their own volition. Thus, outside of a small minority of overtly vocal patriots I'm not sure how most students are being punished. This seems like more of a preventative move than anything else. Wouldn't punishment be more like forcing everyone to stay after school?

Quoting Slider (Reply 76):
You're damned right I'd be flying the flag. Not in someone's face or to taunt anyone, but because WE ARE AMERICANS. Schools should always have a flag flying. Students should be taught to respect it.

I, for one, think that students should be taught to respect other students first. Then, once they are able to respect each other, they can worry about the proper uses of symbols and metaphors.

Quoting Slider (Reply 76):
This principal is a weak-kneed coward. Taking the intellectually lazy and doshonest way out---punish all for the sake of the actions of a very few. And in this case, the action happens to be so heinously unconstitutional, morally reprehensible and disgusting, the guy ought to be terminated immediately.

If you're going to post this far into the thread perhaps you should consider adding more than just another rehash of the views already stated.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 78):

When I was in school I didn't see many folks parading flags around of their own volition. Thus, outside of a small minority of overtly vocal patriots I'm not sure how most students are being punished. This seems like more of a preventative move than anything else. Wouldn't punishment be more like forcing everyone to stay after school?

Come on - you're splitting hairs and you know it. Fact of the matter is that this principal found it easier to paint with a broad stroke - impacting EVERYONE there - rather than taking the extra time to actually do his job and single out the few individuals causing problems.

slider

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 78):
I, for one, think that students should be taught to respect other students first. Then, once they are able to respect each other, they can worry about the proper uses of symbols and metaphors.

I can understand where you're coming from here, and don't entirely disagree. However, I think the symbol in this instance represents the very ideals that define behavior....

In other words, if the Mexican students would assimilate and learn to respect America's ideals, symbols and people, this wouldn't have been an issue period.

Quoting SATX (Reply 78):
If you're going to post this far into the thread perhaps you should consider adding more than just another rehash of the views already stated.

I'll opine in the manner and at the juncture I so choose, thank you very much.  Wink

N1120A

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:37 am

Quote:
"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

This isn't a free speech case, since you sign over your constitutional rights when in school and a minor. Just like the school can impose a dress code, they can ban whatever they want if it is not necessary to the school. Also, if you read the quote above, you will see that the school administration believes the way the US flag was being used was unpatriotic.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WellHung

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:26 am

They should have just said that the flags were being used to cover up "terrorist activity". Then everyone crying about the action here would be defending it vociferously.

itsjustme

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm

I had second thoughts...my post doesn't fit the thread

[Edited 2006-04-04 09:09:54]

itsjustme

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 13):
If illegals do not feel comfortable in front of the U.S flag then down it must go.......

Horseshit - if illegals don't like the US Flag, let them take their illegal ass outta here . . . that simple.

checkmark 

I honestly thought Alberchico was being sarcastic.

N1120A

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:44 am

The flag wasn't banned, students displaying it was. Schools are allowed to tell students what they can and can't wear and what they can and can't bring to school. I would bet that if you went to that school, you would still see the big flag on the flag pole in front of the school.

halls120

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 85):

The flag wasn't banned, students displaying it was.

I guess you didn't read the article that started this thread.

"U.S. Flag Banned Amid Racial Tensions

LONGMONT, Colo. (April 1) - Dozens of high school students protested a temporary school policy forbidding students from displaying the U.S. flag."

Telling a student they couldn't come to school with a US flag isn't banning the student, it was a ban on the flag.

Nice try, however.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

N1120A

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 86):
Telling a student they couldn't come to school with a US flag isn't banning the student, it was a ban on the flag.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 86):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 85):

The flag wasn't banned, students displaying it was.

Notice I used the word "was" as opposed to the word "were". The displaying of all national flags by students was banned, not the flag itself. Like I said, I am sure the big flag on the pole out in front of the school is still flying.

LHMark

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Way to only quote the part of that sentence that inflames, Halls. How many students would bring the American flag into school packed into therir backpacks before this flare-up? If I recall correctly, schools had so many of them that I never needed to bring my own.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller