TheSonntag

RE: Foreign Places That Speak English

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
Yeah, but German dubbing is an art so you can't really knock it.

True, but last sunday they showed L'auberge espagnole on Premiere in a all-German, dubbed version. That movie was about people speaking 6 different languages yet living together, about Europe uniting... The German cinema version is like the one for "Bowling for Columbine", one German narrator, but everybody speaks it's own language with subtitles.

Many movies are virtually destroyed by the dubbing, something you only notice when you know the original. For example, the Danish movie "I kina spiser de hunde" is awful in German.

Of course, dubbing is much better than in countries which are not used to do that, like Denmark (movies for children are dubbed there, and they are usually awful). But I would still prefer the original, and fortunately in the age of DVD, more Germans are able to get the original language.

The only movie which really is better in German than in English is "Krieg der Sterne", Star Wars Episode IV - A new Hope. Harrison Ford is much better with his German voice  Smile

eilennaei

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:11 am

There is many an English place that speaks mostly a foreign language.

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 51):
There is many an English place that speaks mostly a foreign language.

Scotland, for example.  duck 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

RobertNL070

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:07 am

Actually, those are illegal cab drivers

I know.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:10 am

Other than the fact that I say "Dude" a lot, I think that my English is probably more understandable around the world than any other dialect. I know Sabena332 agrees with that.

Absolutely! In my opinion is the English that is spoken in California more understandable for a non native English speaker than any other English dialect in the world (incl. Oxford English).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

msllsmith

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:12 am

Other than the fact that I say "Dude" a lot, I think that my English is probably more understandable around the world than any other dialect. I know Sabena332 agrees with that.

What is this word "Dude"? What does it mean?
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 54):
In my opinion is the English that is spoken in California more understandable for a non native English speaker than any other English dialect in the world (incl. Oxford English).

Might be understandable, but it's bloody irritating.  grumpy 

yooyoo

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:34 am

About 60% of Canadians can speak English. The other 40% speak a butchered French and something scientists have yet to crack the code for, but that's only found on the east coast.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

cedars747

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:58 am

-Norwegians can deal perfectly with English speakers
-Argentinians more or less
-Lebanese can surprise you with their perfect English
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

HBIHLtoEZE

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:06 am

Everyone who speaks German can speak Hoch Deutsch, even the Swiss

In theory, yes, but the Pisa studies revealed that quite a few schoolchildren seem to struggle with understanding and/ or speaking the codified standard High German. After school they hradly ever learn it...
Don't expect Swiss people in the streets to master English...in the tourist biz they are very fluent though.

Cheers
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

N1120A

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 50):
True, but last sunday they showed L'auberge espagnole on Premiere in a all-German, dubbed version. That movie was about people speaking 6 different languages yet living together, about Europe uniting...

Yeah, that makes no sense.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 50):
Many movies are virtually destroyed by the dubbing, something you only notice when you know the original. For example, the Danish movie "I kina spiser de hunde" is awful in German.

I think the movies destroyed the most by dubbing are German films themselves. Lola Rennt or anything by Fassbinder would absolutely suck in anything other than German

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 55):
What is this word "Dude"? What does it mean?

Dude is a colloquialism used as a generic nickname and a greeting. The word roots to the term used in big cattle ranching states (namely OK and TX) for a type of abscess on a cow's butt. It was used there for a long time as a derogatory term, but its current usage is more positive. It is about as versatile as the Hawai'ian word Aloha in that you can use it to express many emotions

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 57):
About 60% of Canadians can speak English. The other 40% speak a butchered French and something scientists have yet to crack the code for, but that's only found on the east coast.

Tell me aboot it, eh. My girlfriend is Canadian and we spent the New Year in Ottawa (big mistake, it is too f'ing cold there). It was such a pain in the a$$ to understand what the Quebecois were saying
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TheSonntag

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 60):
I think the movies destroyed the most by dubbing are German films themselves. Lola Rennt or anything by Fassbinder would absolutely suck in anything other than German

Probably. I only saw one German movies dubbed, and I think I would hate other translated movies. The only movie I know in English did it pretty well though, it is Das Boot. Most English speakers were the actors themselves, so the movie is as authentic as it could be, even if it is nowhere near the original language, which also features the different dialects from the different parts of Germany, something which, of course, is lost in the English version.

[Edited 2006-04-13 00:35:34]

LFutia

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:45 am

India. The big parts of India all know English.

The Germans will be hearing "Hup Holland Hup" and "Wij Houden Van Oranje" in 2.5 months.

Leo
Leo/ORD

TheSonntag

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 62):
The Germans will be hearing "Hup Holland Hup" and "Wij Houden Van Oranje" in 2.5 months.

So 11.06.06 15:00 Leipzig Serbien und Montenegro - Niederlande (Spiel 6) -:-

16.06.06 18:00 Stuttgart Niederlande - Elfenbeinküste (Spiel 22) -:-

Mi 21.06.06 21:00 Frankfurt Niederlande - Argentinien (Spiel 37) -:-

Bad luck that all these games take place in stadiums which are far away from the dutch border. I think this is totally stupid, when stadiums like Gelsenkirchen, Köln and Dortmund could have been chosen.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 63):
Bad luck that all these games take place in stadiums which are far away from the dutch border.

There is still "Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij" and I would appreciate it when many Dutch people would use it instead of driving on our Autobans and blocking the regular traffic.  Wink Anyway, surprisingly is Holland participating in a football world cup this time, wasn't always the case if I remember correct.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TheSonntag

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 64):

You forgot another great airline, also called Lufthansa Big grin

yooyoo

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:38 am

it is too f'ing cold there).

yes  it is

It was such a pain in the a$$ to understand what the Quebecois were saying

It must sound horrific to you

Ottawa

It's actually a wonderful city....in the Summer, Fall and Spring  Wink

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 62):
India. The big parts of India all know English.

Not sure you could call that "foreign" though. English is an official language in India. I believe India has recently become the world's most populous nation of English speakers, at over 300 million. It's going to be fascinating actually. The future of world English is very likely to be Indian.

LFutia

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:07 pm

There is still "Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij"

wow patrick! nice job on the spelling. did you google that or remember that one yourself?
Leo/ORD

RobertNL070

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:33 pm

Anyway, surprisingly is Holland participating in a football world cup this time, wasn't always the case if I remember correct

Well at least the Dutch side qualified on its own merits  Wink

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 68):
did you google that or remember that one yourself?

I admit, that came from Google.  Wink

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 69):
Well at least the Dutch side qualified on its own merits

But the fun already ends here, the Dutch team can fly home after the first three games.  Wink

Patrick

RobertNL070

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
But the fun already ends here, the Dutch team can fly home after the first three games.

We'll see Patrick, we'll see.  By the way, I'm no great football fan. I'm not likely to be too fussed should the Dutch be sent home. Unlike you should the Mannschaft get knocked out  mischievous 

Regards, Robert   

[Edited 2006-04-13 15:52:11]

lh477

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:01 pm

About 60% of Canadians can speak English. The other 40% speak a butchered French and something scientists have yet to crack the code for, but that's only found on the east coast.

YooYoo..I think your #'s are bit off. I would put the french population at no more then 25%.
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

aloges

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
the Dutch team can fly home

Fly?

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

yooyoo

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 72):
YooYoo..I think your #'s are bit off. I would put the french population at no more then 25%.

i have no idea of the real number. I threw a number out there to make my lame ass joke  Wink

ME AVN FAN

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 74):
have no idea of the real number.

well, let's see: mother-tongues in Canada: English 58,5%, French 22,6%, Chinese 2,9%, Italian 1,6%, German 1,5%, Punjabi 0,9%, Spanish 0,8%, Polish 0,7%, Portuguese 0,7% (plus "others" ) . I might be interested to see the population-figures of Quebec against all the others combined. Or in 4 sections, A) East of Quebec, B) Quebec, C) Ontario, D) west and north of PC+ONT .

TheSonntag

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:43 am

Best joke today on German Radio from a commercial:

Wie nennt man einen Holl�nder im WM Finale? Schiedsrichter!

:D

yowza

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 54):
Absolutely! In my opinion is the English that is spoken in California more understandable for a non native English speaker than any other English dialect in the world (incl. Oxford English).

Likely because Hollywood reaches further than schoolbooks.

YOWza

BR076

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 76):
Best joke today on German Radio from a commercial:

Wie nennt man einen Holl�nder im WM Finale? Schiedsrichter!

:D

and the Germans are called Zuschauer , at least we are on the field in the finals

[Edited 2006-04-13 20:54:18]
ú

petertenthije

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting BR076 (Reply 78):
and the Germans are called Zuschauer , at least we are on the field in the finals

Zuschauer? Noo, at best they can be called polizist. No Germans allowed in our finale! Big grin
Attamottamotta!

TheSonntag

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 79):

Trust me, I won't be in Rotterdam when Germany plays in the final Big grin

N1120A

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 66):
It's actually a wonderful city....in the Summer, Fall and Spring

Actually, even in winter, it is quite pretty. I just don't get how a piping hot cup of Tim Hortons coffee turns as cold as soda with ice no more than 5 minutes after stepping outside  Silly

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 80):
Trust me, I won't be in Rotterdam when Germany plays in the final

You are right, because you will be in Rotterdam when Germany is not playing in the final  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MUWarriors

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 66):
It's actually a wonderful city....in the Summer, Fall and Spring

So all three days?  Wink Like I can talk from Fairbanks.

Honestly I love Ottawa, would live there given the option.

On the topic I got around Kuala Lumpur pretty easily knowing very little Malay, actually had a harder time in Singapore, "Singlish" really messed me up.

andaman

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):

I highly doubt that.

Anywhere in Scandinavia, (and no, that doesn't include Finland). Practically everyone speaks good English over here.

Cheers
Mats

Well... English is widely spoken in Finland too. Though Swedish is the 2nd official language here, practically English is more common.

And absolutely right: Denmark, Norway, Sweden makes Scandinavia
and when you add there Finland and Iceland, you get the Nordic countries.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

eilennaei

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 83):

Please google for "Scandinavia travel". Which countries will you find referenced to? Need these people be reeducated?

cedars747

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 83):
and when you add there Finland and Iceland, you get the Nordic countries.

Absolutely right !
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

Doona

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 84):
Please google for "Scandinavia travel". Which countries will you find referenced to? Need these people be reeducated?

Well, I guess it should be mentioned that when Finland was in it's true form, you know, Eastern Sweden, it was a part of Scandinavia. But that was more than two centuries ago, but nowadays; no. Scandinavia is Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Nothing more, nothing less.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

"The most common definition includes continental Denmark, mainland Norway and Sweden. A broader interpretation would include the various insular territories belonging to Denmark and Norway, such as Greenland and Svalbard. Finland is commonly included, though it is not considered standard and often merits the broader term Fennoscandia."

There you go. Fennoscandia. Sounds ridiculous, I know. But hey, if you consider Finland to be an insular territory belonging to Sweden, sure, we'll agree that Finland is indeed, a part of Scandinavia.  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

andaman

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:54 am

Well, we here in Up North know what is what, but we will still hear others using the term Scandinavia when they mean all the Nordic countries, or even all the Northen Europe, no matter how much we want to educate them...  old 

At work with foreign (mainly American) tourists I am just happy if they don't mix the Nordic capitals and no one ask if Lapland is open tomorrow...
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Doona

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 87):
Well, we here in Up North know what is what, but we will still hear others using the term Scandinavia when they mean all the Nordic countries, or even all the Northen Europe, no matter how much we want to educate them...

So true. Things will never change. Let's kill them all.

Quoting Andaman (Reply 87):
no one ask if Lapland is open tomorrow...

rotfl  The one in Finland, or the one in Sweden?  rotfl 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

eilennaei

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:21 am

Is there anyone around to give a naive spectator's crash course to the game of cricket please? A link to a site with a good educational selection of pictures of the phases of the game is ok as well.

andaman

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 88):

The one in Finland, or the one in Sweden?

Cheers
Mats

I usually answear that they are two different theme parks but belong to the same chain. Open 24/7, we know how to serve...
And if you wish to see Northern Lights already in Helsinki, thats only 99$ today, you can pay me now, in cash please.   

[Edited 2006-04-15 01:22:39]

ME AVN FAN

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 86):
Finland to be an insular territory belonging to Sweden

unless you consider it to be an autonomous part of the Russian Federation
 scratchchin   shhh 

Doona

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 91):
unless you consider it to be an autonomous part of the Russian Federation

Die! Sweden had to give up the eastern part of our great nordic superpower in order to not be totally buttf*cked by the Russians. If the Russians had never invaded Finland, it might still have been Swedish to this day... cry 

Cheers
Mats

andaman

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 92):
If the Russians had never invaded Finland, it might still have been Swedish to this day... cry

... in that case no Asia hub in HEL but atleast it would had ment better history in Eurovision Song Contest then  knockout 
Somehing REALLY different coming from Finland this year, monster heavy rock opera, beware Carola ...  biting 

Boeing744

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting ClementFromSG (Reply 6):
don't forget Singapore lah, official language.

biggrin  My friend is from Singapore, and he always makes fun of the "English" spoken there.

About 60% of Canadians can speak English. The other 40% speak a butchered French and something scientists have yet to crack the code for, but that's only found on the east coast

Haha, over here though, it is like 70% native English speakers and the rest either Cantonese, Mandarin or Punjabi. If you speak Canto/Mandarin in Vancouver, you can get by just as well as English.

foppishbum

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 48):
I'm thinking Brooklyn and almost anyplace in So. California...... oh wait a minute...... "Foreign Places That Speak English"!!!! Silly me. I was thinking places they SHOULD speak English.....

Duuuuude...that's so not cool.  yuck  We do speak English! Big grin Well, almost all of us anyway. I realized some certain population in East Los Angeles has some trouble with using correct grammar and vocabulary.
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

KDTWflyer

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:53 am

The country of Bhutan lol