Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Cheapest Way From HKG To Shanghai?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi,

I am just planning for a holiday during June and on one leg I need to get from Hong Kong to Shanghai.

I have looked online, and the cheapest one way fare is £150 (about $250US) which seems a little steep for a one way fare on a 2hr flight (it is with China Eastern by the way)

I was wondering if the fare my be cheaper if I book it in Hong Kong? Would it be better to book at a travel agent or the China Eastern or Dragonair ticket desk? The problem is, if I book it in Hong Kong it will only be 5 days in advance, so it might be more expensive.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks

Christa

RE: Cheapest Way From HKG To Shanghai?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:21 pm

I guess walking would be the cheapest  Wink
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

AirPacific747

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:27 pm

I don't know which airline would be the cheapest, but if you haven't been to Shanghai before, you are going to get a very positive surprise! I was very surprised indeed! The city is extremely beautiful, and you feel completely safe on the street aswell. The only minus is the way people in China drive. Lol there is no respect for pedestrians whatsoever.

CPH757

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:16 am

Hey there. A cheap way to do it, is by taking a bus/train/boat from Downtown HKG or Kowloon to Shenzhen airport (SZX), which isn't far away. From here there are numerous flights to Shanghai everyday. The prices start at 700rmb+ tax (around 70rmb), which all inclusive equals around 100US$. You can choose between as many airlines as CZ, MU, ZH, FM, CA and HU. These cheap fares are usually available within 5 days (or you will pay a bit more). You can try at the CTS office in Kowloon in HKG, they should be able to issue the ticket. You will never pay 250US$ for this trip. These flights are btw all PVG bound.

If you wanna fly from HKG, try a local agency. These are always cheaper, as the international agencies don't seem to supply the deeply discounted fares. There are plenty of agencies on the internet. Write to them and make a reservation, then pickup the ticket and pay when you arrive in Hong Kong.

Btw, Shanghai is in my oppinion really a crappy place. It really isn't China at all. It's an imitation of a Western big city, where you try too push the Chinese in the background, which is knd of sad. The result is awful. Everything is really fake.

If you wanna experience the real mainland China from within a large city, go to Nanjing or Chengdu instead. For a mix try Beijing or Xian.

Consider taking a train instead of flying. I know this i a.net, but it is really a great way to travel in China.

Cheers,
CPH757
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 3):
Btw, Shanghai is in my oppinion really a crappy place. It really isn't China at all. It's an imitation of a Western big city, where you try too push the Chinese in the background, which is knd of sad. The result is awful. Everything is really fake.

Well idk for how long you were there, but if you drive just an hour away from the city centre, you'll find the nicest little chinese village with small rivers running through it a-la-venice for when you get tired of the big city. I don't agree with your point though. That would be the same as saying that any other major city in the world tries to push away the original culture, which they do to some extent but it is impossible to maintain the original background from the country completely.

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:53 am

Hi CPH757

Thanks for your advice. I think I will wait until I arrive in Hong Kong to sort out the flight as it doesn't really matter if I go from Shenzhen or Hong Kong and I can't imagine the flights being very busy in the middle of June.

I can imagine Shanghai being a crappy place with no soul, but it is somewhere I have not been yet so I want to see what it is like. I haven't been to Nanjing or Chengdu yet, but I have already been to Beijing-which was great, and Xi'an which was awful.

I did consider taking the train but it takes too long to fit into my itinerary (I would rather spend another night in Hong Kong than on a train)

CPH757

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 4):
Well idk for how long you were there, but if you drive just an hour away from the city centre, you'll find the nicest little chinese village with small rivers running through it a-la-venice for when you get tired of the big city

Yeah, that's Suzhou. I like that city too, especially when you have been in Shanghai for three days  Smile

Visited it on my way from Shanghai to Nanjing..

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 4):
That would be the same as saying that any other major city in the world tries to push away the original culture, which they do to some extent but it is impossible to maintain the original background from the country completely.

Multiethnic or multicultural cities are not bad in my oppinion. I'm sorry if i put it that way. My point regarding Shanghai, is that everything seem to be so fake and kitsch. The buildings, the people, the lights, the shops. Of course it is more downscaled in some parts of the cities and suburbs, but even that part is still much nicer to visit in other parts of China.

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 5):
Thanks for your advice. I think I will wait until I arrive in Hong Kong to sort out the flight as it doesn't really matter if I go from Shenzhen or Hong Kong and I can't imagine the flights being very busy in the middle of June.

Shouldn't be a problem  Smile

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 5):
I haven't been to Nanjing or Chengdu yet, but I have already been to Beijing-which was great, and Xi'an which was awful.

If you have time Suzhou and Nanjing is in reach from Shanghai by train (1 and 3 hours). I agree with you on Xi'an to some extent. It's very touristy, although it still have some of the Chinese feel inside the walls though.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

aer lingus

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:29 am

Have you checked with KA Dragonair?
They fly from Hongkong to Shanghai.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 6):
Yeah, that's Suzhou. I like that city too, especially when you have been in Shanghai for three days

No it's not Suzhou. Suzhou is a major city by western standards, maybe not by Chinese standards (5 million people)  Silly There are really small villages with only a couple of thousand people. I think that the town I am talking about will be in the new MI:3 movie. I seemed to recognize the village from the commercial that I saw.

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 6):

Multiethnic or multicultural cities are not bad in my oppinion. I'm sorry if i put it that way. My point regarding Shanghai, is that everything seem to be so fake and kitsch. The buildings, the people, the lights, the shops. Of course it is more downscaled in some parts of the cities and suburbs, but even that part is still much nicer to visit in other parts of China.

Okay, well some parts might be "fake" whatever that means, but that is just because they build very fast. There is also the old European part of the city which is over 100 years old. I think the skysrapers are amazing though! I really like that city!

CPH757

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 8):
No it's not Suzhou. Suzhou is a major city by western standards, maybe not by Chinese standards (5 million people) There are really small villages with only a couple of thousand people. I think that the town I am talking about will be in the new MI:3 movie. I seemed to recognize the village from the commercial that I saw.

Hehe yeah, it crazy with these cities. On the 3 hours train ride from Shanghai to Nanjing, you pass through 4 og 5 cities with 5 million inhabitans (incl. suburbs) Big grin

Well, I suppose that Suzhou is just the biggest of the Venice like cities then. I actually enjoyed the outskirts of central Suzhou the most, as it was small canals with sceneric old houses. The city centre was indeed very modern  Smile

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 8):
Okay, well some parts might be "fake" whatever that means, but that is just because they build very fast. There is also the old European part of the city which is over 100 years old. I think the skysrapers are amazing though! I really like that city!

We probably never agree on this subject. They build very fast other places in China too (Chongqing and Guangzhou for instance), doesn't make it quite as "fake". Too many Chinese yuppies in Shanghai  Smile

Reg. the skyscrapers, I really think they are an anticlimacs, especially when you arrive from HKG, which I indeed like much more than Shanghai. It's a true combination of east and west, but it really has it's own charm and feel, without being to hyped.

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:01 am

Walking?
Jan

Filler

Filler
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 9):

We probably never agree on this subject. They build very fast other places in China too (Chongqing and Guangzhou for instance), doesn't make it quite as "fake". Too many Chinese yuppies in Shanghai Smile

Reg. the skyscrapers, I really think they are an anticlimacs, especially when you arrive from HKG, which I indeed like much more than Shanghai. It's a true combination of east and west, but it really has it's own charm and feel, without being to hyped.

what do you mean by anticlimax? Also, Shanghai has way more skyscrapers than Hong Kong. Even more skyscrapers than New York has today. I think Hong Kong is just as "fake" then as Shanghai is. Also, the Chinese government's idea with Shanghai is to move focus from Hong Kong, and make Shanghai the new financial center of China. What I don't like about Hong Kong is though, that I think it is way too crowded. In Shanghai you are able to feel that the modern part of the city has actually been on the drawing board first, but I don't think it is a bad thing, because it makes the city very spacious. The skyscrapers look like something from a Star Wars movie, that is what I find so cool about it!

CPH757

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 am

Well, the tall buildings in Shanghai is just plain ugly in mind my. That's OK when they are 30 years old as many in HK, but sad when they are brand new. The HK skyline is so much more impressive than Shanghai, that's what I mean by anticlimax. It's not a quantitative issue for me. A city doesn't need a skyscraper to be cool (well, I live in CPH, I have to say that).

I don't think that Hong Kong has the fake feeling that Shanghai do. Hong Kong is a clash of everything, due to it's geographical location but colonial history, and it feels natural and have a very special mood. It is more real than Shanghai, who really tend to be a big showroom for vulgar new-rich people, who excel in bad style and habits. A really big generalization, but you get the point.

I'm aware that the move focus to Shanghai, but that doesn't make the city more appealing to me  Smile

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 11):
In Shanghai you are able to feel that the modern part of the city has actually been on the drawing board first, but I don't think it is a bad thing, because it makes the city very spacious.

Very very true. I just don't like the style. Much of the new stuff looks cheap and ugly in my oppinion, but i guess it comes to personal taste.

Btw, I find Shanghai a lot more crowded than HK  Smile

I'm btw moving to CAN in 3 months. I even like that better than Shanghai  Smile

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 12):
Well, the tall buildings in Shanghai is just plain ugly in mind my. That's OK when they are 30 years old as many in HK, but sad when they are brand new. The HK skyline is so much more impressive than Shanghai, that's what I mean by anticlimax. It's not a quantitative issue for me. A city doesn't need a skyscraper to be cool (well, I live in CPH, I have to say that).

lol why is it ugly just because it is new? Shanghai is still expanding rapidly. It is only a matter of time before their skyline will become bigger and more impressive than the one in Hong Kong

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 12):
Very very true. I just don't like the style. Much of the new stuff looks cheap and ugly in my oppinion, but i guess it comes to personal taste.

Btw, I find Shanghai a lot more crowded than HK

how is that possible? lol. The streets are much narrower in Hong Kong and there is no more space to build on due to the mountains. You don't have that problem in Shanghai.

CPH757

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 13):
lol why is it ugly just because it is new? Shanghai is still expanding rapidly. It is only a matter of time before their skyline will become bigger and more impressive than the one in Hong Kong

Where did I say it was ugly because it was new? I just said it was ugly. It's the architecture and messy compositions I don't like.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 13):
how is that possible? lol. The streets are much narrower in Hong Kong and there is no more space to build on due to the mountains. You don't have that problem in Shanghai.

It does help to build a street twice as wide, if there are three times as many people walking on it. I didn't say anything about potential problems in expanding. Please read more carefully  Smile

But seriously. Take a stroll along the Bund against the Kowloon harbour. The latter is much less crowded and more relaxed. And the view is much more impressive, but hey, that's just my personel perception...

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 14):

Where did I say it was ugly because it was new? I just said it was ugly. It's the architecture and messy compositions I don't like.

Then the architecture is just as ugly in Hong Kong. The difference is not that big afterall.

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 14):

It does help to build a street twice as wide, if there are three times as many people walking on it. I didn't say anything about potential problems in expanding. Please read more carefully

Well there are not 3 times as many people walking on the street in Shanghai, because the city is so much bigger in every direction, so even though Shanghai is 3-4 times bigger than Hong Kong, you don't feel it when you're walking on a street because people are spread out on a huge area.
 Wink

texan

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Thread starter):
Cheapest Way From HKG To Shanghai?

Quoting Christa (Reply 1):
I guess walking would be the cheapest

Or swimming. Both of which have the added benefit of giving you a good workout and keeping your heart healthy. Go get 'em, Tiger  Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."