Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

wolsingerjet
Topic Author

Asking My Gf To Marry Me After Arrival.

Tue May 09, 2006 4:07 pm

Ok,so here it goes...

I will be proposing to my gf when I arrive home from flying a days work and she picks me up at the airport.I plan to walk out in the arrivals area and make all my pax aware of what is going to happen.Its just me,I love flying and I love her so dang much!I am just so nervous I need a bit of support from you A.netters.What do you think of the idea?She really wants to get married as do I.Just so nervous to do this,I know she will say YES,but I am just need a little reassurance.
Guess what???I dont like you either...

folov

RE: Asking My Gf To Marry Me After Arrival.

Tue May 09, 2006 4:09 pm

This Is a Great News. Congratulations. You should see with the Airport if they can Put it up on the arrival monitor as you walk out the Arrival hall.

HBDAN

Tue May 09, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting FOLOV (Reply 1):
This Is a Great News. Congratulations. You should see with the Airport if they can Put it up on the arrival monitor as you walk out the Arrival hall.

That's a great idea!
Next flight: hopefully soon...

aa1818

Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Congratulations. I think it's natural to be nervous when making big steps in one's life. A little bit of nerves is never a bad thing. You'll be fine!!!!!! Great idea as well, I think there's little reason for her to suspect it'll happen. Go for it- and let us know how it all turned out!!!!!!!

All the best to you and your future wife!!!
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

m404

Tue May 09, 2006 5:08 pm

She really wants to get married as do I.

Then what's the big deal? It shouldn't matter where you do it but I would think about it first - How will she react to being put on the spot like this?

Sure they always show the gushing bride happily ga ga after the big publicized display of "look at me". But you never see the one who says --- Uh. Not yet Dude and oh yeah .. DONT YOU EVER PUT ME ON THE SPOT LIKE THAT AGAIN. I wonder why?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

Markhkg

Tue May 09, 2006 5:10 pm

AWESOME! Good for you.

Ooo...give flowers to the pax on your flight (assuming you're not going through customs on an international flight...) before they enter the arrivals area...lead them into the arrivals area...meet your girlfriend...and have the pax hand each flower to her individually. And then at the end have a cute kid hand you the ring or...maybe the pilot... Or at the very end have the pilot there so he can say something aviation-ish like "you two are ready for take off" or something like that.  Silly
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

newagebird

Tue May 09, 2006 5:13 pm

youuu can dooo itt!!!

gud luck buddy

SwissA330

Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Very good idea!

Go for it & good luck!!!
swissair/+/ we care

a340roy

Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 pm

hey...we would luv to hear how it turned out, make your fellow pax film the whole thing, and put it up the link so we can re-live ur cool experience, or fotos wud also do. Congratz man, am sure its gonna turn good.

cheerz,
roy
AR-FRA

aa1818

Tue May 09, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting M404 (Reply 4):
Then what's the big deal? It shouldn't matter where you do it but I would think about it first - How will she react to being put on the spot like this?

Sure they always show the gushing bride happily ga ga after the big publicized display of "look at me". But you never see the one who says --- Uh. Not yet Dude and oh yeah .. DONT YOU EVER PUT ME ON THE SPOT LIKE THAT AGAIN. I wonder why?

Had a bad experience yourself or something??? (jk)  Big grin
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

vv701

Tue May 09, 2006 7:54 pm

He who hesitates is lost. Make it an occasion to really remember. Ignore this:

Quoting M404 (Reply 4):

And go for this:

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 5):
Ooo...give flowers to the pax on your flight (assuming you're not going through customs on an international flight...) before they enter the arrivals area...lead them into the arrivals area...meet your girlfriend...and have the pax hand each flower to her individually. And then at the end have a cute kid hand you the ring or...maybe the pilot... Or at the very end have the pilot there so he can say something aviation-ish like "you two are ready for take off" or something like that.

She'll love you even more for thinking about it and doing something special to make it day to really remember.

Every happiness to both of you.

LHMark

Tue May 09, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 5):
Ooo...give flowers to the pax on your flight (assuming you're not going through customs on an international flight...) before they enter the arrivals area...lead them into the arrivals area...meet your girlfriend...and have the pax hand each flower to her individually. And then at the end have a cute kid hand you the ring or...maybe the pilot... Or at the very end have the pilot there so he can say something aviation-ish like "you two are ready for take off" or something like that.

Even better, phone the Admin building and see if they can close the airport for an hour, then take her up, with all the pax from your flight in tow, to the tower, where the helpful airport personnel will have lined up all the planes to spell out "Will you marry me?" on the apron.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

luv2fly

Tue May 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Myself I think it should be something special for her, you said you love flying, does she?
You can cut the irony with a knife

QANTASforever

Tue May 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Sheesh - hey man, whatever floats your boat.

Public engagements ..... interesting.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Scrappy74

Tue May 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting M404 (Reply 4):

I'll have to politely disagree (as a woman). Unless she's expecting you to propose this very day, she'll be so surprised she won't have time to be "shy" or "embarrassed" about being in public. And hey, everyone loves a happy story  Smile

Best of luck to you and your soon to be fiancee/wife!
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

deltagator

Tue May 09, 2006 11:17 pm

First off, congrats on your impending nuptials.

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Thread starter):
What do you think of the idea?

I don't like it. No offense but public proposals are one thing that drive me up the wall. I have a theory that guys propose at sporting events and such because they are very worried that she might say no and if there are all the folks around then she will kind of be forced to say yes. You say she will say yes but it seems you might have some doubts based on my theory. I would make it something more private but that's just me.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

S12PPL

Wed May 10, 2006 12:22 am

I love the idea of having a bunch of the passengers walk out and hand her a flower. If you can find a kid on the flight to walk with you to give her the ring, that would be an awesome touch. Of course, you gotta keep an eye on them, in case they decide to run off with the ring!

Maybe have the kid walk in front of you about 10 feet after she's been given all the flowers.

Or if you can work it out ont he departure monitors...You could walk with her a little ways, then make sure her back is to one. You could bend over like you have to tie your shoe. Maybe put the ring in your sock. Then have them put "_____, will you marry me?" on the screen as you are "tying your shoe". You could say "Oh, look at that on the monitor" confused....and when she turns to look at it, you whip out the ring, so when she turns around shocked, you can ask yourself, too.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

luv2fly

Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 am

Let me ask this, has she ever mentioned how she sees this day happening? If yes I can almost make a safe bet that it is not in front of total strangers in a public place! Make it her day or both of your day, this focus as I see it is on your hobby and not hers.

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 1:45 am

Yeah I definately wouldn't do it in public like that. Girls more or less have their reactions to such things pre-planned and like to be in an ideal situation, like either alone or with family/friends. They can't react "properly" if there are a ton of strangers around. It'd probably catch her totally off guard which, even though that's kind of the point, probably isn't the best idea.

S12PPL

Wed May 10, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 18):
Yeah I definately wouldn't do it in public like that. Girls more or less have their reactions to such things pre-planned and like to be in an ideal situation, like either alone or with family/friends. They can't react "properly" if there are a ton of strangers around. It'd probably catch her totally off guard which, even though that's kind of the point, probably isn't the best idea.

I don't think you guys watch much TV, or go to many professional sporting events. I can't count on one hand how many times I've been at an NBA/MLB game, and seen this sort of proposal. Then there are the dozens of times I've seen it on TV at sporting events. Then there are the other dozen or so times in the last two years we've seen it happen on regular live events such as "Deal or No Deal", etc.

Girls like it, otherwise it wouldn't happen so much. I'd be willing to bet 85% of all women would love nothing more than for EVERYONE to see her boyfriend whip out a big expensive ring, and propose to her. It makes them the center of the universe, if only for 10-20 minutes. Girls eat that crap up. Period.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 2:32 am

I wouldn't consider TV/Sports events proposal guys to be of the highest class, thus the same can be said for their girls. I dunno, maybe I'm just too picky.

WellHung

Wed May 10, 2006 2:34 am

I am just need a little reassurance.

Here you go...

http://www.guzer.com/videos/tv_proposal.php

wolsingerjet
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 2:46 am

Well all thoughts respected here,I am not doing it for public reaction or to make her feel she has to say yes.She asks me everyday ''how long till you ask me'' because she knows its coming one day.She wants this to happen as much as I do and there is ZERO doubt of the answer.If I had doubts lets face it I wouldnt still be with her.She routinley picks me up from the airport after we arrive back because its what she likes to do,and I honestly dont think she will expect it.

On another note I spoke to our ops person about putting ''will you marry me?'' on the origin section of the fids screen and they said they can do it,so it will likely be done this way.The shoelace idea sounds like a cool addition to this.

In a world of so dang much negativity,I think people honestly like seeing people be happy,atleast I know I do...

wolsingerjet
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 2:56 am

As for the video,pretty funny,obviously dude was blindsided and that must have sucked really really bad.Anyway I think its important to really know who your with and obviously he had no idea....On another note have a violated some rules here???I seem to have gotten a final warning and wouldnt mind knowing why???

luv2fly

Wed May 10, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 20):
I wouldn't consider TV/Sports events proposal guys to be of the highest class, thus the same can be said for their girls. I dunno, maybe I'm just too picky.

I usually do not agree with my fellow Ohioan though here he is dead on the money! I believe the TV/Sports events have been done, almost to the point of been there down that, have the t-shirt. To me the TV/Sports events is like I really love you, want to stroke my ego in front of the frat guys, and no consideration to what you might have liked or thought romantic or heart warming.

airlinelover

Wed May 10, 2006 4:02 am

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/30869

A little more.. exciting.. then in a terminal

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

skysurfer

Wed May 10, 2006 4:23 am

Talk about stealing my idea! lol Hey good luck to you...i'd love to see everyone's faces in the terminal when she says yes! Imagine how red she's gonna get!

good luck

Stoo
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

L410Turbolet

Wed May 10, 2006 4:49 am

What do you think of the idea?

To be honest I think it's a pretty lame one. I would definitely pick some more private location...
I mean proposing on an airport nowadays seems to me as "sexy" as doing it on a bus or train station or shopping mall.
I mean, if you want the proposal to be "aviation-related" then why don't you take her on a hot-air baloon flight or an evening sightseeing helicopter flight over some nice place wherever you live.

deltadc9

Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 20):

Yes you are

but I am just need a little reassurance.

A relation of mine did this and it worked just fine.

He arranged with a NASCAR race track to just happen to get interviewed while he and his girlfriend were standing in the pit area, everyone was in on it. He told his family to be sure to watch the race.

When they came up to them with the cameras he proposed and she was blown away, and the crowd that was paying attention was cheering. They have this great video tape that the video guys gave them, and the whole family was watching wherever they were. Pretty cool if you ask me, and I don't like NASCAR. How many people have their proposal on tape? That is something special.

I think the key is preparation, and making sure it is in an environment she wants to remember if its going to be public. This will be burned into her brain forever. No pressure....
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

767Lover

Wed May 10, 2006 7:43 am

Recently engaged female here:

Don't let the negativity on these boards stop you. Go for it. You seem like the kind of person who would know if your lady would be offended or not.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Zone1

Wed May 10, 2006 9:31 am

Congratulations man! This could be on an AA comercial: We know why you fly!
/// U N I T E D

LO231

Wed May 10, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 11):
Even better, phone the Admin building and see if they can close the airport for an hour, then take her up, with all the pax from your flight in tow, to the tower

Mark, that FLAIRPORT thread is aaaalllll gone.

BTW. Congrats, and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

LOT767-300ER

Wed May 10, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 21):
Here you go...

http://www.guzer.com/videos/tv_propo...l.php

That video was set up the woman, the man and the Wizards admitted to it a couple days after it was shown.

luv2fly

Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 25):
https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/30869

A little more.. exciting.. then in a terminal

Chris

Seems like it was take your girlfriend to work day and lets propose! Sorry to me it is not all that romantic or exciting. Though glad it worked out for you.

nkops

Wed May 10, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 11):
Even better, phone the Admin building and see if they can close the airport for an hour, then take her up, with all the pax from your flight in tow, to the tower, where the helpful airport personnel will have lined up all the planes to spell out "Will you marry me?" on the apron.

I love sarcasm...
 Big grin

Good luck though, and keep us informed!!
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

QANTASforever

Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 am

Look, if it's something you and she want to do...that's fine.

It's not everyone's cup of tea - but that's life. I proposed to my wife while on holiday in the pacific. It was sunset, and we were having dinner out by the beach watching the sun go down over the water. When we finished we went down to the beach for an evening walk and I popped the question - nobody was around except for the two of us.

No pressure, no gimmicks, no involving the general public.

But if you want your proposal to be straight out of an Adam Sandler movie, then great - I wish you the best.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Boeing4ever

Wed May 10, 2006 1:11 pm

I say, if she wants to, and you two love each other...go for it! To each his/her own. Congrats to your coming nuptials!  Big grin

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

ZKSUJ

Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

I saw on TV once, the captain came out with a rose and gave it to this persons fiancee. Folloed by the FO and crew, then the Pax. They put the rose at her feet. This was in the arrivals hall.
Then the groom to be came last with the ring. Was very touching.

All the best and I hope it works out for you.

You know what the answer will be, so dont worry. The main thing is that you are relaxed when it all happens.

Good Luck!!!

SUJ

VonRichtofen

Wed May 10, 2006 5:29 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 35):
http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/spoof_proposal040225.html

As LOT767-300ER already said, that was set up. It even says "spoof proposal" in the URL you posted.

Wolsingerjet:

So when's the big day?

Kris

767Lover

Wed May 10, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 39):
As LOT767-300ER already said, that was set up. It even says "spoof proposal" in the URL you posted.

Yes. that's why I posted it.

AirCop

Thu May 11, 2006 7:24 am

I will be proposing to my gf when I arrive home from flying a days work and she picks me up at the airport.I

Did you and what did she say? Gee, these cliffhangers here are worse than the season ending tv shows.

KaiGywer

Thu May 11, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 41):
Did you and what did she say? Gee, these cliffhangers here are worse than the season ending tv shows.

Maybe she beat the daylights out of him for doing it in a public place? Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AirCop

Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 42):
Maybe she beat the daylights out of him for doing it in a public place?

If that the case they will be on Dr. Phil next season.  box 

KaiGywer

Thu May 11, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 43):
If that the case they will be on Dr. Phil next season.

Or Maury. To find out who the real father is.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

piercey

Thu May 11, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 19):
on regular live events such as "Deal or No Deal", etc.

DoND is taped  Wink

Either way, go for it! Don't f*** up and just go with the flow.  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

BMIFlyer

Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 am

Good luck man, lets hope she says yes  Wink

Keep us posted Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

wolsingerjet
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Well just to inform you all,I have changed my mind on the day,and honestly its way better in my opinion.It will be July 1st(canada day and my birthday!!!).I plan to take her to the nights fire works (weather permitting) and do it there,if not over a romantic dinner I have planned.It will be just me and her and that sounds better to me.I spoke to a friend and he said there is no right or wrong place to propose you just pick a moment and do it.It will be just me and her in that moment and honestly as cheesy as it sounds she really is the best b-day present to me.Its been 4 yrs together and its forsure time now...Thanks for all your opinions and support.And I will let you know the outcome!

m180up

Thu May 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 47):
Thanks for all your opinions and support.And I will let you know the outcome!

you are welcome, hope everything will go right, good luck!
Werner from SAL

AirCop

Thu May 11, 2006 10:11 pm

Canada Day, smart thinking, always be able to remember the date of engagement; none of this "Dear do you remember when we got..."