Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

columba

RE: Would Any Of You Buy This Car?

Wed May 10, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 3):
This car is purely for economy not for getting laid..............

You got no idea  Wink Mostly women are very attracted to the car and they know that a man who drives it is not a guy who has to compensate something else size wise......

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 16):
if you take a look at the photo it seems that these microcars have good crash protection...

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 27):
I hope you're being sarcastic...........

They are indeed very safe, they have a special designed body sheet

Quoting A332 (Reply 35):
I love how they call these 'Smart' cars... right... so how smart are you going to be when you're splattered all over the front of a semi... or large sport utility vehicle...

Not very smart after all!

It is called Smart because although because you can find a parking place nearly everywhere -of course mostly a problem in European cities, it is quite fuel efficient and although it is very small you can transport a lot with it.
The trunk is designed to carry two standard cases for soda with it.
My ex-girlfriend has one and last winter we were carrying a set of winter tires for her father�s Mercedes E-class in it.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

DAL767400ER

Wed May 10, 2006 5:00 am

I'd probably never get one, I'm happy with my Opel Corsa. And if you think the Smart is bad, just look at most of those Asian microcars, particularly Daihatsu. Driving by the local Daihatsu dealer, I can only but wonde how those are real cars and not some fake ones for amusement park rides, there's really no size difference.

ltbewr

Wed May 10, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 52):
I can only but wonde how those are real cars and not some fake ones for amusement park rides, there's really no size difference.

I don't think those Smart or other micro-mini city cars would survive in the USA. Heck, they would get lost into a NY City pothole or squshed like a speed bump by a Hummer H-1.  biggrin  ANCFlyer in his BAFDT could accidently run over that oversized beer can like it was a racoon and make it and it's occupants into road pizza. We tried cars of like size back in the late 1950's into the 1960's and the didn't last. They were death taps unsuitable for our roads. The Suziki Swift (or it's Chevy brand =) and the Ford Fiesta Mk I and II were about the smallest cars sold in the USA in the last 25 years. For the price of those Smart cars, you could buy a small and not micro Honda Fit or =.

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 24):
I HATE SMART CARS!!!

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 25):
NO WAY WHAT SO EVER

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 26):
wouldn't even steal it!

Signed,

Quoting A332 (Reply 35):
NEVER!

if the price of gas keeps shooting up then we'll all end up driving these cars.

Oh and as for my comment on using cars to get laid, every car advertisent in the U.S indirectly implies that with a cool car you can get a hot girl.............
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 am

The Japanese also seem to have some interesting designs for this category...,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/2005_Subaru_R1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Daihatsu.copen.arp.750pix.jpg

and also this old classic....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Subaru360-1.jpg
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 9:17 am

here are some pics that say it all.....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/tieInterceptor/smart_cop.jpg

rolfen

Wed May 10, 2006 9:20 am

If I'm not mistaken they run on a 3-cylinder engine and their length is about the width of a normal-sized car.
rolf

doug_or

Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 am

3 years ago Ford Festiva was a punchline, not a car here in America. Now if you want to buy a Fit or Yaris you can consider yourself lucky if you only have to pay sticker price.
When in doubt, one B pump off

flymia

Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 am

NEVER. Its just does not seem right. I like my 5600lbs of metal I drive in every day. Just to small. I dont care what crash test say. If a 5500lb SUV crashes into that on the highway going 70mph is cant be good. But can that thing even go on the highway? Top speed of 55MPH/95km?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LOT767-300ER

Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 23):
I wouldn't even steal it!

Signed,

LOT767-300ER

You are right my friend, you are right.

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 36):
"What is a man car"?

Real men don´t eat sushi. Anyone remember that slogan?

Dont know what kind of car it was...GM, Ford??

Micke//SWE

A man's car has 4 doors, RWD, and enough power to supply the city of Stockholm for 1 year. IE: my car.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 59):
NEVER. Its just does not seem right. I like my 5600lbs of metal I drive in every day. Just to small. I dont care what crash test say. If a 5500lb SUV crashes into that on the highway going 70mph is cant be good. But can that thing even go on the highway? Top speed of 55MPH/95km?

Its more like 85mph with, I think my speedometer on my Impala starts at 90mph  Silly

And now my feelings about Honda, Toyota, Acura, Infinity, Nissan, Lexus.

bristolflyer

Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 9):
Not the Smart, but I would definetley consider a Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107. They get better mileage than the Smart plus they have four seats. And it still looks somewhat like a car.

The good thing about the Smart is that they only put in 2 seats. Hence there's as much space in it for the driver and passenger as there is in a car much, much bigger.

I have seen a worrying number of these on the roads around Phx recently:

Now that is one bosted car! This thing took an almighty beating with the ugly stick.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

VonRichtofen

Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 pm

Question for the yanks:

Are SMART cars even sold there yet? And the Yaris is sold in the US. Did you guys have the Echo and Echo hatchback before the Yaris? (Echo was always called Yaris in Europe BTW)

Just curious,

Kris

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 62):
Are SMART cars even sold there yet?

No, thank God. At least in Italy they serve a purpose... those people park literally in every tiny gap they can find... but here it'd just get mauled by a truck or SUV and waste parking spaces.

L410Turbolet

Wed May 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 59):
A man's car has 4 doors, RWD, and enough power to supply the city of Stockholm for 1 year.

You need car to prove you're a man???  Big grin

LOT767-300ER

Wed May 10, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 63):
You need car to prove you're a man???

I wont drop my pants in public. Not even if I see your sister.

In case ANCflyer is around the corner handing out citations.

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 63):
You need car to prove you're a man???

Again with the whole Big Man needs a Big Car example  Silly  Silly  Silly

A332

Wed May 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 53):
if the price of gas keeps shooting up then we'll all end up driving these cars.

That's what you think!

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 53):
Oh and as for my comment on using cars to get laid, every car advertisent in the U.S indirectly implies that with a cool car you can get a hot girl.............

Right.... since you know, hot girls just love those Smart cars!  Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

alberchico
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 66):
Right.... since you know, hot girls just love those Smart cars!

Now that I think about it a guy in a Ferrari would get better quality girls than a guy in a microcar..........

UPS707

Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 2):
If the price was right (which it won't be, I'm sure..) I would consider it.

Same here... if it was cheap enough to have as a useable commuter car I would consider it. However it's not big enough to be a family car and put a baby seat in, so it couldn't be my only car. Also, I'd need to see some decent speed out of it (at least 50-60mph) to be able to drive it to work without getting run over on the roads I drive.

KaiGywer

Thu May 11, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 60):
Now that is one bosted car! This thing took an almighty beating with the ugly stick.

Yeah, I saw one of those the other day. UGLY!

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 61):
Did you guys have the Echo and Echo hatchback before the Yaris?

Yes on the Echo, not sure on the hatchback.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

don81603

Thu May 11, 2006 7:55 am

I wouldn't take a Smart Car to a turd fight, even if I had first throw!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

RedDragon

Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

Just to clarify:

That's not a Smart Fortwo, it's a low-volume, über-niche-market quadricycle. (My first instinct was to say it's an Aixam, but I don't think it is.) It's a nasty, cheap, flimsy thing designed around a motorbike engine, intended to be driven on a motorbike licence. They're mercifully rare in the UK, but more popular on the Continent (particularly in France). The companies that make them are small, and hence don't have access to [the capital that would allow for] extensive R&D, including in terms of safety. They're subject to less stringent safety standards than conventional cars.

The Smart Fortwo offers significantly better active and passive safety than your average quadricycle  Wink

Rich

KaiGywer

Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 am

Crash test pics:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/images/smart_safety_3.jpg
Smart vs. Mercedes E-class
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/images/smart_safety_1.jpg
Smart vs. barrier
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/040908.htm
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bill142

Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am

This is something you'd buy the wife so she can go do the shopping.

if you take a look at the photo it seems that these microcars have good crash protection...

It looks like its snaped in half!

bristolflyer

Thu May 11, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 73):

It looks like its snaped in half!

To re-iterate and summarise what RedDragon said earlier, just cos this nasty little piece of crap car broke in half does not mean to say that all microcars are dangerous. In fact I know a number of people who survived very serious accidents in the original Mini without injury. Carrying less mass is sometimes a benefit. (Notice I said 'sometimes' before anyone picks up on that).

BF
Fortune favours the brave

AsstChiefMark

Thu May 11, 2006 10:09 am

Smart cars are having trouble passing the US DOT safety and EPA emissions tests. They can be imported from Canada, but must be modified by Zap Motors of Santa Rosa, California.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ATAIndy

Thu May 11, 2006 10:12 am

I'm gonna stick to my bike, thanks anywho  Silly.
Boiler up!

ltbewr

Thu May 11, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Alberchico (Thread starter):
and also this old classic

That last pic in that post was a Subaru 360. They were made in the mid to late 1960's in Japan and had 360 cc engines, to meet the cheapest registration and road taxes class there. A few were imported to the USA in about 1967 and I believe NHTSA, the USA agency as to car safety, required all to pulled off the market. Consumers Reports did a test on one and the brakes fell apart on them, so of course it failed! It was one of the only vehicles they ever tested they 'condemmened'. They were imported into the USA by Malcom Bricklin, later of fame/imfaminy for creating the Bricklin sports car of the 1970's and importing the Yugo in the late 1980's. A few years later, Subaru would become the leading maker of small 4 wheel drive vehicles, a place they still have today.
It was cars like the Subaru 360 that scared Americans from considering micro-mini cars like the Smart car.

alberchico
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 74):
Carrying less mass is sometimes a benefit

It's incredible how many people think that just because they're in a large SUV they can survive any crash................

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 77):
It was cars like the Subaru 360 that scared Americans from considering micro-mini cars like the Smart car.

You have to give them credit for at least trying.......

I think that the Soviets also tried to work with the concept of small people cars. Look at this ZAZ........