Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Police Response Time (I Just Saw A Robbery)!

Mon May 15, 2006 10:02 am

Its 01:57am, I've just witnessed a car being robbed from DIRECTLY outside my own home...! It took the local police 10 minutes to arrive at the scene of the crime from me reporting it...

At about 01:30am i heard a car struggling to start. I live near a train station and I thought it was someone encountering a flat battery. As i'm far too nosey for my own good, i looked outside to see two youths attempting to hotwire an old Rover 100... They noticed me and walked away from the car... Once i'd absorbed the information, i called 999 and reported the crime. Five minutes later at about 01:35, i'd finished the call to the control room.

At 01:45 the police turned up, however in the time it took them, the youths had come back, finished the job and had taken the car.

At least now I know, if i'm being robbed in my home. I can rely on the police to turn up.

I have a pellet gun on my mantle piece for Coarsing. I actually loaded it up while i was waiting for the police. Its very scary being threatened in your own home. (Perhaps not directly threatened but hell, the adrenaline is sure pumping)

[Edited 2006-05-15 03:04:47]
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

AirCop

RE: Local Police Response Time...

Mon May 15, 2006 10:09 am

Don't feel to bad, several years ago my nephew (16 at the time) was driving down a unlighted road and stuck and killed an 75 year old lady who was jaywalking pushing a shopping cart and wearing dark clothing. Took the Maricopa County Sheriff Office 3 hours to respond. In my own experiences responding to accidents took up to 40 minutes depending on how far away I was, and I hear some interesting response times from the Alaska State Troopers, which in the really remote areas it could be days...

57AZ

RE: Local Police Response Time...

Mon May 15, 2006 10:11 am

Here response time depends on the nature of the call and your location. Calls that require a "Code 3" response (lights and siren) are almost always under five minutes from the time that the call is recieved. Lower priority calls for accident reports without injuries or theft/B&E where the perpetrator has already left the scene take longer and may get stacked if there are a number of priority calls recieved. Presently, the Tucson Police Department allows certain crimes to be reported online via their secure webserver, eliminating the need for an officer to drive out and take the report and the need for the victim to wait for an officer. Also, some departments use crash investigators to respond to non-injury or minor motor vehicle crashes, allowing them to use their sworn LEOs on more important calls.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

BMIFlyer

RE: Police Response Time (I Just Saw A Robbery)!

Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Thread starter):
I can rely on the police to turn up.

Me too, there is a police station 600yds from my house  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

fumanchewd

Mon May 15, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Thread starter):
I have a pellet gun on my mantle piece for Coarsing. I actually loaded it up while i was waiting for the police. Its very scary being threatened in your own home.

I don't know much about where you are at, but here in the US, I would never pull a pellet gun on anyone. If they had some kind of weapon they could have come after you. I know a pellet can hurt pretty bad, but if somewone rushes you with a knife, it won't help too much. I'll assume that no citizens have guns (legal or illegal) in the country where you saw this. Otherwise pulling a pellet gun is the dumbest thing that you can do. You might chase them away, but you might also get killed.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 7):
. Otherwise pulling a pellet gun is the dumbest thing that you can do. You might chase them away, but you might also get killed.

At point blank range my gun is lethal. And anyways, just the fact of having a gun... I can always hit them with it, its some piece of Chinese crap and is fairly heavy at the butt...

fumanchewd

Mon May 15, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 8):
At point blank range my gun is lethal. And anyways, just the fact of having a gun...

Point blank won't help you if they have a gun. I will assume you are in the UK despite your flag, so most likely they do not have a gun. No way I'd do that in the states though.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 6):
so most likely they do not have a gun

Not likely... :P

However, if I've got one... they certainly could have...

PlymSpotter

Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 am

Condolences to whichever one of your neighbours has just lost their car!

I found out a few years back that we could trust the police where I live, we had some problems with rather OTT trick or treaters over halloween - they didn't get anything from us so after throwing a few eggs and other crap at the house they thought they'd try and set fire to our door (fat chance - its 2 inch thick oak!). Within three mins an unmarked police car screamed to a halt at the top of our drive, officers were very friendly and after serching the area came back and had a cup of tea with us. They had found some kids larking around, but could not prove it was them, anyway there's been no trouble since so it did the trick!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DLKAPA

Mon May 15, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 5):
At point blank range my gun is lethal. And anyways, just the fact of having a gun... I can always hit them with it, its some piece of Chinese crap and is fairly heavy at the butt...

See the idea of the gun is that you can defend yourself without the necessity of "point blank."  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 9):
See the idea of the gun is that you can defend yourself without the necessity of "point blank."

We're blessed with such strict anti-gun laws that my gun will only deliver a shot capable of killing or seriously injuring inside 375 yards... (I think its described as an incapacitating shot). outside that range it will most likely lodge in the surface of the skin upto about 500 yards. Outside THAT its only gonna bounce off you and sting a little bit (much like a BB gun).

fumanchewd

Mon May 15, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 10):
my gun will only deliver a shot capable of killing or seriously injuring inside 375 yards..

A pellet gun? Sorry, but I question the 375 yards. I don't believe that a majority of pellet guns would be lethal beyond 35 yards, unless it is a specialized pellet. In this article they mention that the best pellets are Magnum pellet is absolutely deadly with larger game--rabbits, woodchuck, etc. at ranges out to 50 yards with the most powerful air rifles.

http://www.beeman.com/calselect.htm

Sorry to get off subject, but air rifles typically don't have great range and are extremely inaccurate after 40-50 yards. That is unless you have a specialized one that I don't know about.

OK I'm done yammering about the pellet gun. Smile

boeingfanyyz

Mon May 15, 2006 12:02 pm

Well, a car theft is certainly not a high priority, although I'm not sure how the Kazakhstani police system works!  wink 

In Toronto, I've had a fe break-ins...took the popo only about ten minute to arrive and it wasnt even a robbery in progress!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

ANCFlyer

Mon May 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 4):
I don't know much about where you are at, but here in the US, I would never pull a pellet gun on anyone.

no  You'd be shot dead . . . cause the person you just drew on has a REAL gun. *

At point blank range my gun is lethal.

We're talking about a pellet gun here, right . . .

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Okay . . . but your aim better be damn good . . . if it's gonna be lethal at PBR, you better hit me in the heart, in the eye, or some such, otherwise - you're fucked.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 6):
t blank won't help you if they have a gun.

I just said that . . .  laughing 

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 9):
See the idea of the gun is that you can defend yourself without the necessity of "point blank."

checkmark 

I'm good with either hand, one or both, to about 25m, then I need to switch to the shotgun or rifle . . .  wink 

my gun

You don't have a gun, you have a toy . . . period.

These are guns:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/DutyWeapons.jpg

What you have is a toy . . . period.

375 yards

rotfl  rotfl 

500 yards

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Outside THAT

faint  laughing  faint  laughing  faint  laughing  faint  laughing 

Outside 500 yards . . . . shit man, that's 1500 feet, a gawddamn TANK has an effective range near there . . . . a pellet gun . . .you are talking about a pellet gun, a toy, right???

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Man, I am so trying to take you seriously here . . . . but, I gotta tell ya . . . you're not selling me here . . . is your pellet gun NUKULAR powered? Does it have some sort of magical powers???

Pellet gun . . .

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aircraft

Mon May 15, 2006 1:04 pm

At point blank range my gun is lethal.

To rodents?

my gun will only deliver a shot capable of killing or seriously injuring inside 375 yards... (I think its described as an incapacitating shot). outside that range it will most likely lodge in the surface of the skin upto about 500 yards.

How many feet per second is the velocity of this thing?

There's no way a pellet can be lethal at 375 yards. I don't care how heavy the pellet is, or how many fps this thing has for its muzzle velocity, there's just no way a pellet gun can achieve such a velocity at such a distance.

coboeing777

Mon May 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Getting back to the response time of police, you also have to take into consideration that sometimes it is just incredibly busy, especially in larger cities. I work in a somewhat large NJ city right across from NYC and let me tell u, some days are just plain ridiculous. There are nights u are running from call to call nonstop. Cant even fit a quick bite to eat in. So, sometimes its not that the police arent doing their jobs. It might be that our resources are being spread very thin.

Joe

itsjustme

Mon May 15, 2006 3:17 pm

A pellet gun? Are you serious? Is it plastic with one of those orange things on the end of the barrell that screams out, "Hey! I'm not a real gun"!

OK, back to the thread. It's all a matter of what's going on at the time you place your help call. If you hit it lucky, there are units available in your area and they'll arrive within a few minutes. If you're unlucky, you just made your call when a few other "hotshot" (in progress) runs are on going as well and there are simply no units close by (or, depending on the size of the department, available to respond). Best case scenario, live in a jurisdiction that has an airship or two at it's disposal (sorry ANCFlyer, dogsleds don't qualify as airships). Granted, unless it's a case where an officer is getting his ass kicked, the ship will stay airborne but you'd be surprised how effective a helicopter circling at 500' and illuminating the area with a night sun that produces 50,000,000 candle power is on shithead criminals.

SFOMEX

Mon May 15, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):

Ok ANCFlyer, I think you're right, a pellet gun is useless to defend your family and yourself. Consequently, what kind of gun would you recommend for a peaceful guy who wants one just in case he needs to use it as a last resort.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

KaiGywer

Mon May 15, 2006 9:24 pm

[sarcasm]
Of course they didn't respond fast enough. After all (according to the A.net Gods), cops can't break the speed limits or run red lights. And that is if they're not stuck in the drive thru at your local fast food joint....
[/sarcasm]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

IAH777

Mon May 15, 2006 9:33 pm

[nitpick]What you actually witnessed was an "auto theft," rather than a "robbery." Robbery is a crime committed directly against a person, depriving them of property by force or threat of force. Similarly, houses are "burglarized," though many people say they were "robbed" when they arrive home and discover the door kicked-in.[/nitpick]

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue May 16, 2006 12:26 am

10 minutes is pretty good. Last time I called the police to a house burlary here it took them 7 hours to show up, and then their jeep ran out of diesel on the way.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 16, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 17):
Ok ANCFlyer, I think you're right, a pellet gun is useless to defend your family and yourself. Consequently, what kind of gun would you recommend for a peaceful guy who wants one just in case he needs to use it as a last resort.

Questions first:

Will you and perhaps your spouse take the time and become properly trained in the use of the weapon, beginning with the 4 Rules of Gun Safety?

Will you and perhaps your spouse take the time to go shoot the weapon at a range periodically so that you remain proficient with it's use?

Will you keep it properly stored away from children and guests?

If the answer to any one of the above is no, then, SFOMEX my friend, I can't recommend any handgun at all. To answer no to any of these questions will make you more of a danger to yourself and your family than the bad guy(s) you may have to defend against.

However, if you really want a weapon I'd recommend a smaller caliber semi-Auto pistol. A .40 cal or some such. Not such a big weapon that you can't handle it, but has plenty of power to halt anyone you may, as a last resort, have to shoot someday.

My recommendation is of course a Glock. Simple to use when properly trained, and the Glock 22 is a good weapon. I have 2. If you (or your spouse) have small hands, the Glock 23 would be my choice. essentially the same weapon, but with a smaller hand grip to accomodate ladies and men with small hands.

Buy it from a proper gun dealer and have the dealer help you fit the weapon.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MDorBust

Tue May 16, 2006 2:04 am

uh oh... gun spat.

Going to have to have a disagreement here.

For untrained shooters, I wouldn't recommend a pistol at all if you are looking for a home defense weapon. I would actually recommend a 20 gauge shotgun. Easy to operate, easy to aim, light on the recoil... yet still maintains the time honored shotgun racking sound and visual that makes burglars take a load in their pants.

twocents 

Of course... there's the punishment for disagreeing with the sarge..

"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ANCFlyer

Tue May 16, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 22):
Of course... there's the punishment for disagreeing with the sarge..

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

For untrained shooters

I did ask, above, in my very first question . . . . .

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
Will you and perhaps your spouse take the time and become properly trained in the use of the weapon, beginning with the 4 Rules of Gun Safety?

So there's no dispute there . . . but you can keep doing your pushups . . .

laughing 

I would actually recommend a 20 gauge shotgun.

The reason I never recommended a shotgun . . . 12 or 20 gauge . . . is that I don't want to lose all my household appliances if it goes bang . . . buckshot will do a hell of a lot of damage to the 60" television, the stereo, a wall, etc. I'd rather have one large bullet go through a speaker, than 8 or 9 little ones peppering my TV screen  biggrin .

IFEMaster

Tue May 16, 2006 2:19 am

If I had an intruder in my house, I'd get out my pet Chuck Norris. He'd roundehouse you in to submission.

On a more serious note, I witnessed an horrific car accident last year. A Mini Cooper three cars in front of me on the freeway got blind sided by some punk in a jacked up Expedition, span and slipped, and was then literally crushed by a Hummer who couldn't get out of the way in time. It was deathsville. I placed a 911 call immediately, got put on hold for 3 minutes (!!!), and when I finally did get to speak to a human, it took a further 17 minutes for any emergency services to arrive. By that time all the occupants of the mini had died (if weren't already dead from having a Hummer drive on their heads) and the punk in the Expedition had done a runner.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 2:41 am

Alright all you gun experts...

I'm only repeating what it says on the "WARNING" piece of paper that came with it...

And anyways, the thread wasnt really about guns...

SFOMEX

Tue May 16, 2006 2:56 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not a fan of weapons, but for the sake of security I'm willing to train myself in the proper use of one. I'd rather pick a handgun over a shotgun since it would be easier to keep it in a secure place.

ANCFlyer, I googled the 4 Rules of Gun Safety and they make perfect sense. Thanks pal!
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

11Bravo

Tue May 16, 2006 3:02 am

You might add to your list:

Learning your legal rights and the limitations for the use of deadly force.

An acquaintance of mine from many years ago is serving a 20 to life sentence for 2nd degree murder in the Colorado State Pen because he thought it was within his rights to kill someone for stealing a bicycle.
WhaleJets Rule!

fumanchewd

Tue May 16, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 25):
And anyways, the thread wasnt really about guns...

I'm just trying to help you out. There is a decent chance that those guys will return to that area again. Are you going to approach them with a pellet gun? I am trying to warn you not to do it.

I forsee three possible ways that could go.

1. Its a couple of punk kids who either know or don't know that it is a pellet gun. Either way they are intimidated by you or the gun, and run away.

2. It is a couple of punk habitual criminals who most likely will know that it is a pellet gun. They either take off because they don't want a fight or they come after you with fists/knife/large stinky fish.

3. It is a couple of recently immigrated Russians who served 3 tours in Chechnya as Commando's in the Russian army where they practiced knife tactics and fighting two hours a day. They see your pellet gun and would rather slice your chest open then go to jail. They rush you with the knife. You pop off a couple of shots before they finally get to you. As your blood starts running down the street towards the gutter you yell out, "But the label says that it's fatal to 375 yards!" They laugh and decide to go down a bottle of Vodka to help them get over the one pellet that is stuck in one of their cheeks (about 1 milimeter from the surface)

When using a weapon you must committ to it. I don't mean that you have to use it, but if you brandish it-you should be positive that it and you are able to do what you are trying to give the impression of being able to do. Pulling a weapon that is very likely not capable of stopping a full size man, is placing a bluff. Either they will run away or they will call your bluff. What then?

ANCFlyer

Tue May 16, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 28):
They rush you with the knife. You pop off a couple of shots before they finally get to you

And you better be damn fast with those "couple of shots" since the average asshole can close on you with a knife in less than 3 seconds from about 25-30 feet away. Sounds silly? It is in fact, fact.

aircraft

Tue May 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
And you better be damn fast with those "couple of shots" since the average asshole can close on you with a knife in less than 3 seconds from about 25-30 feet away. Sounds silly? It is in fact, fact.

That's why when you shoot someone, you shoot them from a moving car.

LOT767-300ER

Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):

Sounds almost impossible when you have loaded up on Dunkin Donuts eh?

I feel good about one thing.

Im in rural Maryland (dont ask why). 650 full miles farther away from you ANC...and your firepower. hehe

I must admit, I do go to the shooting range often. When Im in NE Poland, I like to shoot off a "couple" rounds from AK-47s on my uncles farm. A favorite past time of mine is taking an AK-47 into the woods at dusk and hunting wild boar.

fumanchewd

Tue May 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 31):
When Im in NE Poland, I like to shoot off a "couple" rounds from AK-47s on my uncles farm. A favorite past time of mine is taking an AK-47 into the woods at dusk and hunting wild boar.

I hope you have it on single shot! Even then there must not be much left to eat. My father was in Vietnam and would describe all of the bodies that he saw torn in half by one AK round. Those hit with multiple were worse than smashed spam.

jfkaua

Wed May 17, 2006 3:01 am

the response time around here ive always noticed is extremly low. Ive witnessed multiple serious car accidents, and it seems like a cop car is always there within 2 to 3 minutes... the ambulance under 5.

rolfen

Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 am

I once saw on reality TV how it took an ambulance 2 hours or more to get to a gunshot victim. I saw the victim fade away on the pavement and he was dead when the ambulance got there.
It was in south africa.
You shouldnt watch reality tv  Smile

Here in Beirut the ambulance and firetrucks will usually get to you in less then 1/4 hour, we're pretty well off in that respect but I have no idea about the police response and I cant say that I would like them to show up at my place, they're not very "protect and serve", they're more like "act and get paid".
rolf