Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deltagator
Topic Author

Restaurant Recommendations In Paris And London

Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Hello all. I've cashed in a bunch of my Delta SkyMiles and Marriott points and will be taking the little lady back to Paris and London this August on Continental BusinessFirst. It is our last big trip alone as she informed me that a little DeltaGator should be arriving in early February. I need some recommendations for good places to eat as that will be our main expense while there. Sightseeing ideas will be appreciated as well though I think I have most of this planned out but am willing to entertain ideas.

We are spending 3 nights in Paris and right now are staying at the Renaissance La Defense. We may be moving to a different Marriott closer in if the reward stays free up in the next few weeks. Our main goal is to finish going through the Louvre and some of the other museums we missed last time we were there. Any ideas on food and interesting sights will be appreciated.

We are then spending 4 nights in London at the Renaissance Chancery Court on High Holborn. We stayed here last time and we love this hotel. We found a couple of good places to eat around here but does anyone have suggestions for decent places at a reasonable cost (hard to find with the Dollar against the Pound) in the Mayfair, Westminister, and Kensington areas? I think we have our museum visits and such planned but any other ideas would be appreciated for checking out.

We are giving Paris another chance as we were quite disappointed last time we were there. It seemed like stereotypical Paris with many rude folks though the ones who were nice and understanding of our poor French helped salvage the trip. Any tips, other than learning French fluently in the next couple of months, on how to get a better experience out of Paris?

Also, is Disneyland Paris worth the visit? Granted, Mrs. DeltaGator won't be able to ride some of the rides but I think it would be fun. I grew up in Florida so I've been to Disney World well over 100 times but have never visited any of the other parks.

Thanks in advance for the help folks.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

airxliban

RE: Restaurant Recommendations In Paris And London

Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 pm

Congratulations on the announcement of the arrival little Delta Gator!

Don't really know Paris, but in London I would recommend Ken Lo's Memories of China if you like Chinese food. I've been there several times and I'd have to call it the best Chinese food I've ever had, even better than what I ate in HKG. There is one near the Olympia Hilton and there's one in Belgravia. If you're interested in going I'd say you ought to go to the one in Belgravia.

If you like Lebanese food I can recommend some places in London as well  Wink
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

qr332

Mon May 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 1):
If you like Lebanese food I can recommend some places in London as well Wink

Two amazing places in London were Shbellia (I think thats how its spelt) and I think the other was called Maroosh... although I don't really remember their names as its been two years since i've visited London.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Vulindlela

Mon May 29, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Thread starter):
We are giving Paris another chance as we were quite disappointed last time we were there.

I made that same mistake this weekend. That place isn´t deserving of second chances. I was there in January, and went back this weekend mainly to see the France-Mexico match. Not only did the half a million people at the stadium prevent me from being able to find a ticket, but I wasn´t able to get into the D'orsay either (there was a huge line outside of tourists trying to see an exhibition that was ending sunday). The Louvre was packed as well, I had to shove my way through everyplace, and only stayed 45 minutes. The city did look nicer now, with a lot of green along the Seine, but it still exists to rip off tourists. I don't mean any offense to the french, but London is heaven compare to Paris. No where near as many tourists (even now), all the museums free, and better food in my opinion.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

babybus

Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 pm

For a quick Japanese meal why not try the Tokyo Diner behind Leicester Square.

When you walk from Leicester Sq tube towards the square itself you'll see a big amusement arcade on the right. If you look up the next side street you'll see the diner there.

It's quick and it's cheap and very atmospheric.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

rjpieces

Tue May 30, 2006 12:03 am

My aunt has been going to this restaurant in London called Daquise for many years now. She took me there in 1997 and I remember the porkchops being delicious.

Here are some reviews and a map:
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2822.htm
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=...49312&sa=X&oi=local&ct=result&cd=1
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ozglobal

Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 am

Paris: It IS a different culture; that's why it's attractive. First, dispense with the sterotype. Many people arrive determined to be offended by those 'rude French' and then confirm their preconceptions at the first couple of signs of difficulty.
i) Avoid the hyper-touristic sites: Eiffel Tower queues(much better view from Montmartre anyway), Champs Elysees cafes, etc. These people process 25million visitors annually and have short fuses, particularly for English speakers who seem to think that speaking ever louder will resolve communication difficulties.
ii) Always say, 'bonjour' or 'bonsoir' in a service context. This shows that you acknowledge the person and don't just treat them as a vending machine for your needs (cuts a lot of ice).
iii) You don't have to speak fluent French, but everyone can pick up the 'survival phrases' and pleasantries. I do this in every country I visit, preparing a little before I leave. You should have seen the smiles in Latvia when I said 'thank you' in Latvian. You need to understand that the French are much more self-conscious than English-speakers about speaking well. Hence, it is a bigger sacrifice for them to speak English than you might understand, not because, as the English will tell you, they can but won't due to Gaulic arrogance, but because they feel embarrased and that makes them uncomfortable and sometimes cranky. Now imagine they have hundreds of English speakers a day barking at them in pigeon English, without so much as a 'do you speak English?' Try to image yourself being asked assistance in French in the US by a visitor... You'll get a thicker skin.
iv) If at all possible, move away from La Defense into Paris itself. La Defense is a functional business district which dies at about 8pm and becomes a sterile ghost town. It does have the advantage, however, of being extremely accessible by metro and RER trains.
v) Restaurants: Procope, Le Train Bleu, Vaudville, Bowfinger, Julien (don't let the rough looking street put you off), Le Grand Colbert, Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit

Have a really good stay and send me a message if you have further questions.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

AsstChiefMark

Tue May 30, 2006 2:44 am

We are then spending 4 nights in London at the Renaissance Chancery Court on High Holborn.

I've stayed at the Grange Holborn Hotel, which is a 5-star hotel on Southampton Row about 500 feet north of the Holborn tube station. I picked up 3 nights for £210 total last time I was there.

This photo accurately depicts a double room...no size
exaggeration. The marble bathroom is to the right.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

B747-4U3

Tue May 30, 2006 3:02 am

There is a great Malay Restaurant in Chinatown in London. It is called C&R and is on an alley called Rupert Court.

They serve all sorts of Oriental dishes, however, being a Malay restaurant the Malay dishes are the best, and some might say that they are the best Malay dishes in London. I especially reccommend the Beef Rendang.

The price is mid-range. Rice and the Rendang came to £9.50, and then there are drinks on top of that.

deltagator
Topic Author

Tue May 30, 2006 3:11 am

Thanks for the info folks. Keep them coming if you have any others. I realized I forgot to ask about some curry houses. I'm not going to pass up a chance to get some decent British curry so any suggestions there will be appreciated. Any good Thai places as well? I'll check out that Malay place mentioned.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
I've stayed at the Grange Holborn Hotel, which is a 5-star hotel on Southampton Row about 500 feet north of the Holborn tube station. I picked up 3 nights for £210 total last time I was there.

Looks good but Marriott Points=Free versus spending money on the hotel. Between the SkyMiles for the biz class seats and Marriott points for hotels I can splurge a little bit on food. And with the kid on the way we won't be traveling anywhere for a while so I'll have hundreds of thousands of points again by the time we can pawn the rugrat off on the grandparents for a week.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

767Lover

Tue May 30, 2006 4:05 am

DG--

First, congrats! Exciting times ahead, eh!

Second, I can't remember actual names of restaurants I've been to but I can say don't bother with the restaurant that's in the Eiffel Tower. Yes, it does have great views but the food is mediocre in my experience.

Have fun!

cosec59

Tue May 30, 2006 4:08 am

Restaurant Recommendations London

McDonald's, McDonald's. Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut
 Wink
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

deltagator
Topic Author

Tue May 30, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 10):
but I can say don't bother with the restaurant that's in the Eiffel Tower.

The Jules Verne. I've heard the same. Kind of like the place in the Space Needle up in Seattle.

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 11):
Pizza Hut

Don't even get me started on Pizza Hut. We ate at the one in Picadilly Circus twice when we were there last. Sheer laziness on our part to search out good food late at night.

comorin

Tue May 30, 2006 5:11 am

Some thoughts:

1. Paris - Dinner cruise on the Bateau Mouche - last chance to be Cary Grant before becoming Diaper Dad.
2. London - Chutney Mary, Tamarind and Veeraswamy's are very good but pricey. You could also wander over to Brick Lane for a more authentic 'Curry House' feel.

Congrats on MiniGator!

jcs17

Tue May 30, 2006 5:18 am

I stayed at the Renaissance La Defense in August 2001, it's a nice hotel with a very friendly staff. It really isn't too inconvenient to stay out there. The Metro station is quick walk from the hotel and you can get to most of the major sights within 25 minutes. The restaurant in the hotel is actually excellent and not your average Marriott/Renaissance North American fare, so if you just want to stay in for a night, you've got a great option downstairs.

Of course, like you, we stayed out there because we weren't able to book the Marriott Champs Elysees using our Marriott Miles at the time. We were pleased, none-the-less, by the Renaissance.

One tip though, going to or from CDG, you'll want to take a taxi directly to/from the hotel. Getting to and from the hotel using the Metro is a hassle with all the luggage, and using the Air France bus isn't too convenient either as the closest stop I believe is Etoile.

[Edited 2006-05-29 22:21:25]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Airdolomiti

Tue May 30, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 6):
Le Train Bleu,

I have vivid memories of eating at Le Train Bleu, and they are not good ones - terribly overpriced and terrible food! In fact, so far I think I've only had one or two decent meals in Paris. A pity, because I really like everything else about the city  Smile

Federico

ozglobal

Tue May 30, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Airdolomiti (Reply 15):
Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 6):
Le Train Bleu,

I have vivid memories of eating at Le Train Bleu, and they are not good ones - terribly overpriced and terrible food! In fact, so far I think I've only had one or two decent meals in Paris. A pity, because I really like everything else about the city

I'm not sure when that was, but I can tell you I had a wonderful experience there only four weeks ago and it compared well with all the places I listed. As for eating badly in Paris, it doesn't happen often if you go by word of mouth or a recent respected guide. Look for 'Paris Pas Cher' and similar for the best value venues in Paris.

I don't doubt your experience, but judging by your age, you've many more years to explore the gastronomic universe in Paris.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

aaflt1871

Tue May 30, 2006 6:19 am

If you like Italian food, then I would recommend you try this little Italian restaurant that sits near the Eiffel Tower. The prices are cheap, the food and service are fantastic. They make a killer pizza and 4 cheese pasta (Love It) They make you feel like a member of the family. In case you are interested, I have posted an image of the location off of Google Earth. It sits nearby to the Paris Hilton Hotel, ( my fav hotel in Paris for its location, love the view of the tower at night) and the Australian Embassy is next door as well. Also a metro platform is right next to it making it easily accessible from any part of Paris

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/aaflt1871/PariswithJoyce05230.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/aaflt1871/Paris.jpg

As or London, I always make a stop here

http://www.caferouge.co.uk/
Where did everybody go?

flpuck6

Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 am

As posted in this thread: https://www.airliners.net/discussions...ion/read.main/1220374/6/#ID1220374

Whatever you do, don't go to the Quartier Latin ... as famous as it is, it's a huge tourist trap. High prices for crap food. Makes a nice walk though.

Try any of the "brasserie" ...

http://www.flobrasseries.com/brasseries/index.asp?brasserie=5 those come from a consortium of brasseries around France. These 2 are in Paris:
"Terminus Nord" across the street from the Gare du Nord
"Les Grandes Marches"

another suggestion:
"L'appart" ... off of the Champs Elysees, but good rapport price vs. quality. http://www.l-appart.com/

another excellent restaurant (good for lunch) for good rapport price vs. quality: http://www.lesbouquinistes.com/fr/bouquinistes/bouquinistes.html

also: Bistro d'a Cote http://www.michelrostang.com/ ... the one located in the 17th "arrondissement" is still called Bistro d'a Cote, more specifically the one at 16 avenue de Villiers 75017.

The zagat and michelin guides are always useful as well. Just remember it's Paris ... it's going to be a tad more expensive than the rest of France (perhaps like London is to England and New York City is to the USA).

Oh, may I add that a few places for a quick bite to eat / picnic-style lunch:

* Lafayette Gourmet (eatery + supermarket next to Galeries Lafayette on the Boulevard Haussman)

For excellent macaroon / snacks / pastries and tea time:
* Fauchon (place de la Madeleine)
* Le Notre http://www.lenotre.fr/fr/index.html
(list of boutiques: http://www.lenotre.fr/doc/Liste%20%2....tiques%20France%20sept%202005.pdf )
* La Duree (best for the famous macaroons, on the Champs Elysees or at place de la Madeleine)

Have fun !
Bonjour Chef!

n229nw

Tue May 30, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 2):
Two amazing places in London were Shbellia (I think thats how its spelt)

The best Lebanese food I've had anywhere (though I haven't been to Lebanon...) is at Ishbilia in London; probably not what QR332 was thinking of, but it is really good. It is on Willian Street right by the Knightsbridge Tube.

That is a very good area for restaurants in general, though they ain't cheap.

My favorite restaurants in London are mainly further from the center but I had a great Chinese meal at Yming near Chinatown (on Greek Street).

If you want an Indian meal that is totally different from the standard North-Indian fare, try the Keralese (region of Southern India) restaurant called Rasa, and order the feast. I've only been to the original branch in Stoke Newington, but there is a branch in Mayfair too. I heard it wasn't _quite_ as good...

I have to run, maybe I can think of some Paris recs too later...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

ryanb741

Tue May 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Ranaissance Chancery Court is a great hotel - right near my office too. Many of our clients stay there.

For dining options, try the following;

Nice Views - Oxo restaurant (Oxo Tower)
Great Steak - The Gaucho Grill, Chancery Lane (unbelievably good Argentine steaks flown in daily from Buenos Aires)
French Food - Gordon Ramsey At Claridge's (reserve well ahead)
Chinese food - Hakkasan, Soho
Indian Food - Chutney Mary, Fulham
The Ivy, Covent Garden

All of these places are relatively pricey (about £120 for two with wine) but very nice (the Oxo has bland food but a great riverside setting).

There's a decent Japanese restaurant on the other side of your hotel (the glass fronted one, NOT the Japanese canteen)

If you fancy meeting up for a beer I'm right around the corner in Chancery lane (I work for the US website Monster and our London office is based there).
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

qr332

Wed May 31, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 19):
The best Lebanese food I've had anywhere (though I haven't been to Lebanon...) is at Ishbilia in London; probably not what QR332 was thinking of, but it is really good. It is on Willian Street right by the Knightsbridge Tube.

I think we are thinking of the same resturant... is it right next to the Sheraton? That was the only time I went anywhere near Knightsbridge, and oh God... i'll never forget what I saw. Something like 10-20 Saudi guys chasing after a blonde woman all the way down the street. The unforgettable part was that the waiter told us he/she was a Yemeni cross dresser Big grin A trip to that area showed me exactly why Arabs have such a bad reputation in London.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

N1120A

Wed May 31, 2006 11:00 am

Congratulations on the baby gator, hopefully they will be a Bruin fan  Wink.

Having lived in London and travelled to Paris 8 times now, I have picked up a few places, cheap and expensive, that I love to go to year after year.

London
Expensive: Fifteen - This is Jamie Oliver's restaurant in Old Street and has an amazing prix fixe menu in a really cool underground restaurant.

Moderate: Any Indian Curry House. Brick Lane and Southall are traditional locations for these amazing places that have become as English as fish and chips but there is a place just between Covent Garden and Leicester Square that does some amazing currys for a decent price

Also, there is a Spanish Tapas Bar in Leicester Square that is absolutely amazing.

Cheapish: Nando's - This South African chain is excellent for casual dining and fresh fare. I love the location in Chalk Farm on a sunny day because it has outside seating and you get the lively Camden Market crowd

Dirt Cheap: Tai Won Mein Noodle House - This place is an absolute find. It is in Elephant and Castle and makes McDonalds look downright expensive. They serve absolutely huge portions of excellent Chinese and Thai cuisine as well as fresh squeezed juices. You don't just have to take my word for it, Myt332 and Jkw777 both absolutely love the place.

In Paris, there is an excellent restaurant hidden away in the 15th, near Vaugirard Metro, called l'Armandie that is a staple for my family. They specialize in amazing fish dishes and always have ultra-fresh oysters on the half shell (not for the pregnant wife, but she will appreciate the side effects you experience).

Also, when I am looking for a quick bite while just walking around, I always stay away from the fast food traps and head into a French chain called Pomme de Pain that serves sandwiches that put places like Subway and Quiznos to shame.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mariner

Wed May 31, 2006 3:51 pm

In Paris, I think it is tough to go wrong with the White Brothers (les Freres Blanc) chain restaurants - because they all speak English:

http://www.blanc.net/

They operate on two levels - one is the upper group of restaurants - more expensive. My favorite is Le Procope in St. Germain, which has a great atmosphere and really good, traditional food (the best chicken in red wine - coq au vin - in Paris, I think).

They have another group of restuarnats - all called "Clement" - dotted around Paris, which are somewhat cheaper, but still good. You can check out the menu, in English, on the website.

mariner
aeternum nauta

BCAL

Wed May 31, 2006 4:53 pm

The Renaissance Chancery Court on High Holborn is a good choice for a hotel, but slightly off the beaten track if the West End is your destination.

As regards recommended restaurants, it depends on what sort of food you like. I always recommend The Wolseley for people wanting to experience English Hospitality at its best. Another good restaurant, which has consistently high standards and where I have never had a disappointing meal, is Marco Pierre White's L'Escargot in Greek Street, Soho.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

carnoc

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:32 pm

The following webpages seem to have some good suggestions on where to 'eat & drink' for Paris & London:

Paris: http://dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp?ci...&action=viewLocation&formId=107815

London: http://dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp?ci...5&action=viewLocation&formId=63118

Anyway, interesting read for sure, would have to try some of them out next time I am in Europe.

Cheers.