Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZflyer
Topic Author

If You Had 1 Billion Dollars You Would......

Wed May 31, 2006 7:01 am

What would you spend it on. buying things, charity etc

I would go on numerous trips making sure I would visit: SXM, YVR, LAX, LAS,SFO, HNL, SIN, BKK, DXB, LHR just to name a few.

I would order a 787 and turn it into a private plane and hire pilots. With all the interest this could be afforded.  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign 

$100 000 000 to cancer research

Buy a green Lamborghini Murcielago

bouncy 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

TedTAce

RE: If You Had 1 Billion Dollars You Would......

Wed May 31, 2006 7:10 am

I would buy a seat on the board of the company that fired me, then fire the director that had me fired and a few other douchebags that deserve it. Then I would float roomers that the company NEEDED to be acquired by MS and gladly sell my shares at a slight loss!!
This space intentionally left blank

MaverickM11

Wed May 31, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Thread starter):
What would you spend it on.

I would start an airline. Duh  Smile
I don't take responsibility at all

thepilot

Wed May 31, 2006 7:22 am

I would first pay off all my debts. Then I would buy a few planes (a small one and a nice corporate one(A319LR, Gulfstream, etc.)). Then, I would fly all around the world, and buy my parents a nice house, and I would donate lots to charity.
Now I just need 1 billion dollars  Smile
From YVR

STT757

Wed May 31, 2006 7:32 am

I don't see how I would need more than a Hundred or couple Hundred Million Dollars, so most of it would go to charity.

I would give a few Hundred Million to the Catholic Church to build or renovate new schools throughout the NJ, NY, PA region especially in the Urban neighborhoods. I would then invest about $100 Million in various Stock and other investments to fund scholarship programs for disadvantage children to go to Private Schools and to pay for College or a Technical school after Graduating.

I would fund the States ASPCA efforts and other groups such as the North Shore Animal league to set up no kill animal laws in as many states as possible, I would also use the money to lobby politicians to create tougher animal cruelty laws making it a mandatory felony.

I would donate another $100 Million to provide quality healthcare to the poor and seniors, another $100 Million to provide quality homes, care and life programs for the disabled and Mentally Ill.

I would then spend about $200 Million to buy land in areas threatened by overdevelopment to keep them open space.

The $100-200 Million or so I have left I would use to live an incredibly lavish lifestyle, house in Malibu, Loft in Tri-Beca, Farm in Central Jersey and a huge yacht in St.John USVI.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

aero145

Wed May 31, 2006 7:38 am

I would buy this:

Canon EOS 1D Mark II N
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

Canon EF 14mm fisheye
Canon 24mm L lens
Canon 35mm L lens
Canon 50mm USM lens
Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens
Canon 300mm L lens
400mm L lens
500mm L lens
600mm L lens
100-400mm L lens
70-200 IS L lens
24-70mm L lens
17-40mm L lens
24-105mm L lens
8mm Sigma fisheye

Trip to SXM

Wink

bill142

Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 am

Put it in a swiss bank account which pays a high interest rate. Quit my job and goto university. Maybe somewhere in the Ivy league or Oxford or something.

then... maybe retire..

kmh1956

Wed May 31, 2006 7:53 am

Large donations to AIDS charities, animal welfare and cancer research.
Large donation to the school I work at.
Do all the repairs and renovations on the house which have been put off due to lack of $$.
Go on and do my bachelor's degree in English at a univerity instead of online like now.
Ensure that my daughter can do her Master's in Theater and Dance anywhere she wants.
Invest well.
Travel.
Boob lift and a tummy tuck, maybe a little facial fixing.(Nothing too radical; I'd like to still look like me...only a bit younger!)
Give a crapload of $$ to my sister and her family, as well as my mother.
Put a large sum in my daughter's savings.
Fund schools on reservations to keep the Native American languages alive.
Live.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Jetsgo

Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 am

Wow one billion dollars....thats 1,000,000,000. Think about it, if you spent a million dollars a year, it would take a thousand years to run out. Even if you spend ten million a year, it would take a hundred years to run out. I think I would have trouble finding things to buy....

Well id take care of a few things first:

Pay off credit cards/college loans

Buy a house in Portola Valley.
Sorry, I meant buy a mansion.
Hell, Ill just buy both.

Buy a car for each day of the week:
Sunday: Porsche Carerra GT
Monday: Mercedes Benz S65 AMG
Tuesday: BMW M5
Wednesday: Audi RS6
Thursday: Ferarri F430
Friday: Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Saturday: Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Buy an Island in the South Pacific.

Buy an Airbus A380 and fly myself to that island whenever I please.

Pay off Singapore Airlines so I can have their A380, so I dont have to wait.

Buy a house, sorry, mansion, in Lake Tahoe.

Fill all three of my houses with top of the line Sony electronics.

Buy my mom her dream car, a Lexus LS430.

Other then that, I would probably put half the remaining amount in a high yield savings account and watch it grow, while using the other half to support myself. Once I withdrawl the money from the account, I'll see that my kids go to Stanford and live comfy lives.

:D

Chris

[Edited 2006-05-31 00:58:19]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

FriendlySkies

Wed May 31, 2006 7:58 am

Pay off my college loans, put money aside for my kids college, buy a 911 Carrera, and give the rest away...I don't want to be rich.

aerorobnz

Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 am

I would buy a longrange bizjet - something along the lines of G550 - anything larger and I couldn't land at many airports around the world. I can do without anything else, as long as I can go to anywhere in the world I want, when I want.
I would probably buy a property on every continent and use them as local bases for further travel..

Naturally being that wealthy I would bribe/blackmail the government to bring in favouable laws that I wanted to bring in undemocratically.

I'd buy a huge area of land to build a custom house that would have all sorts of cool things like subterrannian bunkers and secret rooms.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

flymia

Wed May 31, 2006 8:17 am

WOW! Now this would be awesome. First I would put 100,000,000 in the bank just incase. Than buy a 777 and would hire pilots to fly it for me and I would charter it when not using it than once I got my ATP I would start flying it myself.
Next I would buy homes in Miami, New York, Anchorage, Fiji, Nassau, London, Madrid, Tokyo, Auckland and Sydney, Cape Town.
Than I would buy cars. I would have a few in Miami and one at every other city I have homes in. I would put the European cars in the US and the American Cars in the international homes I own.
Some of my cars would be.
VW Touareg W12, VW Golf R32, E-55AMG, M3, Jeep SRT8, Viper SRT10, Porsche Carerra GT, Audi S6, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, VW Phateon W12, Bentley Continental GT, Bugatti Veyron 16.4, Land Rover Defender,Corvette Z06 ,Porsche 959, BMW M5, BMW M6,CLK-55AMG, new SclassAMG, SL-65AMG and I buy another Touareg but a V10TDI.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

halls120

Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Give 10% to charity right off the bat.

quit my job.

buy homes in Hawaii and Maine.

set up a charitable foundation.

travel. On chartered gulfstreams, of course.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Daleaholic

Wed May 31, 2006 8:25 am

Top of my list would be to put the Billion into a bank and earn the interest!!! Then I would buy a small oil company to earn more money then...

$150 million to Cancer Research
New house
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Super computer
Year's supply of coca cola Big grin
Top of the range camera  Wink
Oh, and maybe a small business jet or a helicopter.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

senorcarnival

Wed May 31, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 5):

No 1200m L? Wuss.  Silly

I'd try to figure out what's the best way to make the money last the longest. After this gets done, I'd start a charity for a nifty write-off except I wouldn't be an attention whore and make it all obvious how I'm some rich guy donating all this money to a charity with my name.

After this, I'd pay off my debt and buy a condo (after all, the costs of running a house are ridiculously high) with a lake/ocean view somewhere in North America and one somewhere else, maybe Zurich. In Zurich, I'd buy season tickets for Grasshoppers CZ. In each one of these places, I'd get myself a nice set of wheels to get around, probably a BMW M5.

After this, my parents and immediate family get taken care of. I'd pay off any debt they have. If they'd like, I'd buy them each a house and give a little extra for them so they can take care of the maintenance of their new place.

I'd probably get a tricked out widebody personal jet and hire my own crew, flying to every place I'd ever wanted to visit. To make sure my trips are documented adequatly, I'd buy a Canon DSLR of some sort (or two) and some lenses.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Boeing744

Wed May 31, 2006 9:04 am

I would donate 50-100 mil to charities. A variety of them, not just a couple.

I would buy lots of nice exotic cars, and a couple of masions all over the world. Probably buy a nice classic jet for myself. Something like a 747-200 or a DC-10.

Finally, I would start up a regional airline or LCC and hope that is succeeds. I would use new Embraer 170s and 73Gs.

AirCop

Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 am

Get a headache. Do you realize how much money that is, trying to manage it, even if you hired professional money people, the problems would never go away, such as taxes!!! You would be spending to much time trying to avoid them, and then you got the freeloaders family members. I must be cheap but $5 million would make me a happy camper.

airwave

Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 am

Samir: You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in glorious mutual funds and take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities and--

Michael Bolton: Samir, you're missing the point. The point is you're supposed to work out what you--[printer starts beeping]--"PC Load Letter"? What the f*** does that mean?!

biggrin 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

senorcarnival

Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 16):
You would be spending to much time trying to avoid them, and then you got the freeloaders family members.

I guess you would just have to learn how to use "NO!" a lot. If Bill Gates is worth a bajillion dollars (granted most of it really is not in "live" assets,) I'm sure a professional or two could handle your "measly" $1bi.

Also, I think I'd also take some finance and accounting classes and try to keep up with my own money every now and then to make sure my accountants don't rip me off.

dc10s4ever

Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 am

have sex with 2 girls at the same time Big grin

DC10GUY

Wed May 31, 2006 9:54 am

I would have the oil leak on my Chevy fixed.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

SmithAir747

Wed May 31, 2006 10:00 am

If I had $1 billion...

First of all, put it into an interest-earning savings account.

Then, pay off ALL my student loans (that I've been taking out to attend King's College London, England) and forget about taking out any more loans! I've got a load already! (I'm studying at King's College to be a research doctor in the newly emerging field of craniofacial deformities research, a field in which Europe and Japan are world leaders).

There are several causes dear to my heart that deserve a lot of my money:

1) Since I have a craniofacial disorder, I want to support the cause of awareness and treatment of craniofacial anomalies. Such groups as Children's Craniofacial Association come to mind, as well as Treacher Collins Syndrome Foundation. I would also LOVE to set up, at home in America, a medical research institution/foundation/centre (at a big medical university, etc) devoted solely to the research of craniofacial development and anomalies, where I could bring the ground-breaking European craniofacial research to the USA, my home! Where would I set it up? Someplace like St. Louis Children's Hospital (Washington Univ. Medical Center) or James W. Riley Hospital for Children (Indiana Univ. Medical Center), both of which have craniofacial surgery clinics. Since I was treated over my lifetime at both hospitals, I would gratefully set up my research centre there.

2) I would also set up a scholarship endowment at my former high school, Canterbury School, Fort Wayne, IN, an independent college-preparatory school where I attended. I was given partial scholarships to attend all 4 years there--because the school's teachers and staff were quite impressed with my determination to succeed in life despite my adversity. This special scholarship would enable deserving students (academically and in terms of life situation) to attend that expensive school, which would otherwise be unaffordable.

After saving what money was left, I would buy the following items:

1) A small, simple, easy-to-maintain house (of a contemporary minimalist/rustic design) with a minimalist stone fireplace, a sunken living room with a low table for fondue (this would be like a 70s house), a music/art room with my old 1914 piano, my guitar, and my green violin in it and to serve as my art gallery (filled with my drawings and photos), an Irish-style pub-like kitchen and an open floor plan. Also, a room to serve as a medical museum full of my medical instrument collection, as well as a library for my books (lots of them).
I don't know where I would build my house--because I don't know where I'll be living once I get back from London and start my medical research career!

2) A station wagon. A real station wagon with lots of room.

3) A kayak.

4) Maybe a custom-made violin varnished in a breathable, natural green varnish. (Once I wear out my current Chinese-made green violin and get better at my self-taught playing!)

5) If my aforementioned 1914 piano gives out, a baby grand piano. Could I get a green piano? (Gotta have a piano--it's my main instrument!)

6) A cello to self-teach myself on.

7) Extra BAHA hearing aid in case my current one is lost or gives out.

8) (Only a dream Smile ) Boeing 747SP or BBJ, but a more practical plane for me would be a Cessna 172 type. (747SP is my favourite, though, and would look great in my Irish-inspired green and gold SMITH AIRWAYS livery!)

9) Flying lessons, at least PPL.

Other things for other people (in my family):

1) Buy a single-level home (wheelchair-accessible) for my younger sister and her dog, so she could have an easy-to-maintain home for her physical challenges wherever she ends up living and practicing as a child play therapist at a major children's hospital someday.

2) Buy a smaller, simple home (one level) for my 81-year-old mother so she can have an easy-to-maintain home in a good area; she has (along with my now-deceased dad) raised all 10 of us adopted kids in our large, ex-funeral home; she's now bouncing around alone in that house.

Those are just a few of the neat ideas I have for (imaginary) $1 billion! (Not in any order, necessarily).

What do you think?

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

airbus3801

Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am

Pay off all family members debt

Buy a self launch glider and a G550

Buy a new home for myself

Get a large Swiss Bank Safety Deposit Box and High Yield Savings Account

Buy anything my heart desires

senorcarnival

Wed May 31, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 19):
have sex with 2 girls at the same time

PETER: Lawrence, what would you do if you had a million dollars?

LAWRENCE: I'll tell you what I'll do, man--Two chicks at the same time.

PETER: That's it? If you had a million dollars, that's what you'd do, two
chicks at the same time?

LAWRENCE: Damn straight, man. I've always wanted to do that. I figure if I were a millionaire, I could hook that up. Chicks dig guys with money.

PETER: Well not all chicks….

LAWRENCE: Well, the type that double up on a guy like me do.

PETER: Good point.

You could actually have two chicks at the same time a million times over.

greaser

Wed May 31, 2006 11:28 am

Finally, a chance to buy a Starbucks Latte....
after that of course i'll be right back where i started...
Now you're really flying

IAH777

Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 23):
PETER: Lawrence, what would you do if you had a million dollars?

LAWRENCE: I'll tell you what I'll do, man--Two chicks at the same time.

PETER: That's it? If you had a million dollars, that's what you'd do, two
chicks at the same time?

LAWRENCE: Damn straight, man. I've always wanted to do that. I figure if I were a millionaire, I could hook that up. Chicks dig guys with money.

PETER: Well not all chicks….

LAWRENCE: Well, the type that double up on a guy like me do.

PETER: Good point.

LAWRENCE: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

PETER: You mean besides two chicks at the same time?

LAWRENCE: Well, yeah.

AC773

Wed May 31, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 5):
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

Canon EF 14mm fisheye
Canon 24mm L lens
Canon 35mm L lens
Canon 50mm USM lens
Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens
Canon 300mm L lens
400mm L lens
500mm L lens
600mm L lens
100-400mm L lens
70-200 IS L lens
24-70mm L lens
17-40mm L lens
24-105mm L lens
8mm Sigma fisheye

So let me get this straight. You have a billion dollars. You decide to spend a hefty sum on lenses but still pass up Canon's 1200mm monster? Well, to each his own I guess.  silly 

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

nighthawk

Wed May 31, 2006 5:27 pm

I would buy myself a few houses in warmer climates...... Los Angeles, Florida, New York, Monaco, Carribean Island and maybe Australia. Also a nice mansion here in Bonnie Scotland. I would then set up an airline, probably operating from Scotland.

I would buy an A330 and have it converted into a business jet, and also buy a Gulfstream incase I need to get into a smaller airport that cant handle my A330....

Ah...... if only.......

DAL767400ER

Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 pm

1 billion bucks, well, that's alot, but I'm sure I could find good use for a lot of it.
First, security cameras at my house, a bulletproof vest, and bodyguards to be prepared for the 'less fortunate' wanting their piece of the cake illegally  Wink .
Then, pay off the money my dad still has to pay off for his property.
Pay off any debt that I or my parents have.
Buy a house in the US, preferrably Florida, so that I could finally leave Germany.
Build a large garage on my new US property where I could finally have all my dream cars:
Corvette ZR1 and C6
Dodge Viper SRT10
Lamborghini Gallardo and Countach
Porsche Carrera GT and oldschool 911
Mercedes SLR McLaren
Classic Ford Mustang and new Ford GT
Mazda RX-8 and Miata
Opel GT
And a few Harley-Davidsons as well
Of course, donate some of the money, between 250-400 million, for charity, and perhaps certain specific cultural projects in Hamburg.
Get myself a trainer so that I actually become good at bowling.
Build my own ultimate gaming PC with some 20GB reserved for FSX alone.
Perhaps get that laser operation on my eyes to get rid of glasses.

Doona

Wed May 31, 2006 5:58 pm

Hey guys, setting up an airline would be a dream come true, but it's a very efficient way of losing ALL your money.

I'd buy myself a seat on an airline board instead. Nothing like a good old bribe jumpstart one's career.

I'd get myself a ridiculously expensive apartment, a nice car, and take looong vacations.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

HBDAN

Wed May 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Start a non-profit airline with hub in LUG, 4 or 5 Saab 2000, serving destinations such as TXL, MUC, VIE, CDG, BRU, AMS, CPH, BSL, ZAG... just to bring business and tourism in my region! Even if I loose 20 million a year who cares! I would have created jobs, given money to my region and brought pax in our region... and I would be CEO!  Big grin That would be fun!

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

TurkishWings

Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 pm

I would start my small airline but because I will be so successful, it would become a very large airline a few years after commencing. I would probably start with a couple of A 320s or B 737s. I would lease them to start with.

I would buy a few houses.

I would definetly start a hotel chain in Turkey with a totally new concept.

I would buy a few cars (after getting a driving licence that is Big grin)

Buy a Turkish gulet (traditional and beautiful wooden boat)

Take a year off to travel around the world in style. First class hotels and airlines and so on...

I would invite Kylie to sing in my birthday together with Robbie Williams and George Michael and invite a bunch of other celebrities for the most expensive birthday party ever..

And I would donate some money to charities of course. I am not that bad of a person  Smile  Big grin
Coffee - Tea or Me?

57AZ

Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 pm

I would put a certain percentage in a perpetual family trust and set aside some to provide for needs (drawing on interest). I would donate a large portion of the remainder to a couple of museums of my choice as endowments with part of the donation to create perpetual income from interest off banked funds and the remainder to go to certain projects. The only high end personal caprices I would pursue would be to buy a large mountainside tract and set up a reasonable sized house with small water treatment plant to treat the wastewater for reuse on my large scale steam railroad. I'd have two or three live steam locomotives manufactured to order and build a five or six mile rail line on the property. The only other big luxury I'd spend on would be to purchase and maintain a couple of heavyweight railroad business cars, preferably with verified history. One would be for my sole private use and the other to charter out or accomodate guests on long trips either on Amtrak or on private rail lines. Each car would naturally have a five star chef, top notch personal porter and onboard mechanic to tend to the needs of the car and passengers. I would also leverage a Director's seat on at least a couple of railroads, partially for civic duty in promoting effecient transportation and get preferential treatment for the handling of my cars online.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

oly720man

Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

Hide!

filler
filler
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

BCNGRO

Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

1. Donate half of it
2 .Buy my parents a nice house and give them some $200,000,000
3. Buy myself another nice house and a big car
4. Get a pilot license
5. Buy a corporate jet
6. Fly around the world

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 19):
have sex with 2 girls at the same time

Ok, I'll add that to my list Big grin
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

TurkishWings

Wed May 31, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting Bcngro (Reply 34):
1. Donate half of it
2 .Buy my parents a nice house and give them some $200,000,000
3. Buy myself another nice house and a big car
4. Get a pilot license
5. Buy a corporate jet
6. Fly around the world

So you donated $500,000,000 and gave away $200,000,000 which leaves you with $300,000,000. Do you think it would be enough to buy and maintain a corporate jet for a long time and lead a posh life?
Coffee - Tea or Me?

texan

Wed May 31, 2006 7:15 pm

Buy my little island off the coast of St. Thomas. 610 acres with nobody else around. So there goes $39 million.
Make sure friends and family are taken care of and do not want for anything major.
Donate money to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society among other charities.
Ten percent as start up capital for my little dream company.
Help out as many people as possible.
Buy ANCFlyer a new hat.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

qr332

Wed May 31, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 35):
Do you think it would be enough to buy and maintain a corporate jet for a long time and lead a posh life?

A Gulfstream V costs between $30,000,000 and $35,000,000. That leaves between $265,000,000 and $275,000,000 to pay the operating costs and live a posh life. Do I need to say more?

As for myself: because I live in Qatar, I don't have to worry about taxes Big grin

I would:
-Give $300,000,000 to various Palestinian funds
-Put $300,000,000 in a trust fund for my children, their children, their children, and so on.
-Give my parents $50,000,000
-Buy a Gulfstream V for $35,000,000 and travel wherever I want.
-Put $50,000,000 in a bank account as a saftey net.

That leaves me with $165,000,000 to do whatever the hell I want. For myself, I would:
-Build a house which is not too big, but heavy on the architecture and technology.
-Buy all the cars i've ever wanted (Porsche Cayman S, Boxster S, MB SLR, CL55, BMW M6, etc)
-Just blow it off like any other person would Big grin
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

lentigomaligna

Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 pm

I'd have a hard time spending that much money.

1. Pay Taxes
2. Hire a team of smart people to invest most of it
3. Donate a lot of it
4. Finish College & Grad School
5. Buy a nice car, or two, not more than three
6. Buy some gas for the cars (there goes half---and I bet a 20 Year Old's insurance is pretty high on a Porsche)
7. Buy/Build a Nice Modest House with taste on a beach somewhere, not a freaking mini-mansion.
8. Hire a cook, housekeeper, and gardener.
9. Pay off my Mom's House, maybe my Dad's, but probably not
10. Travel an Arseload, First Class
11. Learn to Fly (I don't need my own Jet though)
12. Buy both myself and my step-Dad a Yacht
13. Buy some other expensive toys
14. Eat insanely expensive Food.
15. Work Occasionally

TurkishWings

Wed May 31, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Texan (Reply 36):
Buy my little island off the coast of St. Thomas. 610 acres with nobody else around. So there goes $39 million.

Actually that is a very good idea.I would definitely do that too.

Do you think they would sell SXMBig grin
Coffee - Tea or Me?

BCAL

Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm

If you made it £1.225bn, I would buy out Branson and shut down VS

rotfl 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

texan

Wed May 31, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 39):
Actually that is a very good idea.I would definitely do that too.

Not my island you wouldn't! As an eccentric left wing billionaire, I'd hire an army to drive out your forces. And then have them make me mixed drinks  Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

TupolevTu154

Wed May 31, 2006 10:16 pm

Buy one of these...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Severijns

And perhaps one of these...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mathias Krewedl

And one of these to play around in...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Adam Wright

And an old russian war bird to sit in my garden  Silly

cloudnine 

And that's about it, I'm not bothered about a big house or amazing car! May aswell save my money!

Tom Big grin

deltagator

Wed May 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 23):
You could actually have two chicks at the same time a million times over.

No, just a thousand times over.

If I had a billion dollars I would immediately set 1/2 of it aside and let the interest grow and live off of that. Probably more of it would go in the bank but I'll start with 1/2 for now.

1) Buy that Aston Martin I've been wanting.
2) Build my dad the winery that he wants and make it rival Richard Childress' down the road.
3) Set up a scholarship at the University of Florida.
4) Renovate a building at UF so I can have my name on it.
5) Buy some houses scattered throughout the world.
6) Who knows what else? I liked the idea about the animal shelters already mentioned above.
7) Donate to charities.
8) Hire as much help for my family's winery as they needed to run a world class facility.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Kieron747

Wed May 31, 2006 10:39 pm

"If You Had 1 Billion Dollars You Would......"

That's Canadian dollars eh?.. So that's about 5 quid.

Mmmm.

I'd buy a couple of pints.

Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

YeahitsK

Wed May 31, 2006 11:58 pm

People like to buy exotic Italian cars upon becoming rich, I would prefer to buy an Italian airplane I am quite fond of:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Tonna

Other than that, make sure my family is taken care of, donate to select charities, travel, and surprise some people on the street with 100,000 dollar paydays- that would be a cool thing to do until people started to recognize you.
Let's play some Pitch...

SlamClick

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 am

I'd get good health insurance.
And with whatever was left over I'd take the Mrs. to dinner.

In all seriousness I believe that a liquid, unencumbered twenty million added to my present assets would make me happier than a billion.

Reason is, with a few mil I could live a very free and completely anonymous life. With a bil you will be a celebrity, you will be a target, and you absolutely could not exist without a staff for the remainder of your life.

If I added up all the material posessions I would like but do not already have it would be hard to get to a million dollars. The lifestyle I actually enjoy (as opposed to the lifestyle magazines and movies tell me I should want) is just not that expensive.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

yooyoo

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:06 am

Give a good portion of it to friends, family and charities.

Buy a few homes around the world.

Travel by private aircraft.

Eat well

Drive wonderful cars.

But.....

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 46):
unencumbered twenty million added to my present assets would make me happier than a billion.

it would do me just fine as well.

so i have to travel first class and not on a private jet.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

northstardc4m

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:38 am

Well id turn it into 10 million by starting an airline... :P

Seriously:

#1> Luxury 747SP
#2> Personal MiG-25
#3> My own Bahamian Island with a 15000' runway, mansion, private beach, personal har... errrr... staff and of course the 36 hole professional golf course complex!
#4> whatever else i could ever think of to purchase
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Boeinglover24

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 am

I would give it most of it to charity (since I don't want to worry about such an exorbitant amount of money) and I would buy $2,000,000 worth of real estate and stocks (to take care of me and my future family) for the rest of my life....
Uhhh What?