Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Job Ideas

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Hello, I am looking for a job that will at least get me by until school starts in the fall. I am a recent high school graduate, and I am very good with computers (word, access, excel, etc.) and have a very good background in all office machinery. I need to make at least $7 - $8 per hour. Do you have any ideas of where I should apply? I was thinking like lawyer offices, business offices to be like an administrative asst. Do you think this is a good idea for a part time job (20-25 hrs.)?

TedTAce

RE: Job Ideas

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Do you have ANY professional exeperience?
Do you have any certifications? (MCSE, MOUS, A+, network +).
Depends on what you have actually done and where in the US you are.

Big city=lots of easy jobs to get in that price range...
This space intentionally left blank

Georgetown

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:51 pm

Here's a question: What are you interested in? Not into golf at all are you? I used to caddy over summers...made bank.

With what you've said, in all honesty, go see if a temp agency will hire you. You'll make above what you're looking for in pay, and I'm sure they can accomodate a part time schedule.

I also remember another pal of mine got his families lawnmower and simply mowed lawns all summer. It wasn't glamorous, but he got to make his own hours, and made off like a bandit as far as pay.

Coming from a guy who spends a lot of time in an office, I'd say do something OUTDOORS WHILE YOU STILL CAN.
Let's go Hoyas!

aircraft

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting Georgetown (Reply 2):
in all honesty, go see if a temp agency will hire you

Utter nonsense.

Scaredflyer21, try out a temp agency. You'll get a chance to meet potential employers and make some good connections.

[Edited 2006-06-11 09:18:31]

gunsontheroof

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:13 pm

Coming from a guy who spends a lot of time in an office, I'd say do something OUTDOORS WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Not including cashiering in the garden department at Home Depot. You'll find guns... there in less than eight hours, and you can bet he'll be miserable.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Georgetown

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Quoting Aircraft (Reply 3):
in all honesty, go see if a temp agency will hire you

Utter nonsense.

Scaredflyer21, try out a temp agency. You'll get a chance to meet potential employers and make some good connections.

Uh, isn't that what you just called utter nonsense?
Let's go Hoyas!

57AZ

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:41 pm

When I was in high school and college, I worked for a tourist railroad during my off time. Didn't get rich at it but I got some real experience in the working world including supervisory experience and got a lot of good recommendations for future use. As a general rule, attorney's offices don't want "wet behind the ears" folks but need experienced legal secretaries who are familiar with typing the various legal forms with little or no supervision. Any omission will be found and may require the document to be returned to the attorney's office for correction. As a court clerk, I often return documents to attorney's offices unfiled with a note addressing the error/omission. Also, most attorney's offices look for full time staff. If you're sufficiently close to a mid or large city, you might find part time work for a computer firm. My brother is an electrical engineer who majored in computer science. He worked for a couple of computer companies while studying in Boston working the help lines. Not the most thrilling job but it gave him spending money and real world experience.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

comorin

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:21 am

Coming from a guy who spends a lot of time in an office, I'd say do something OUTDOORS WHILE YOU STILL CAN

checkmark 

This is very good advice...take this man seriously!

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):
Coming from a guy who spends a lot of time in an office, I'd say do something OUTDOORS WHILE YOU STILL CAN

This is very good advice...take this man seriously!

I second this notion, the internship I had at Dulles allowed me to spend about 85% of my time outside within the company of marvelous flying machines of all types. Good luck!