Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LO231

RE: Australian Pm Told To Convert To Islam

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 97):
As far as quacks and loonies go, I think zen belongs in the same category as (anyone remember this guy? -->) lib_slayer.

And Zen has a picture posted in a self-pic thread, shame really, such a face with such brains....

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

Falcon84

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 18):
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 16):
US liberated Kuwait

A realist would say, there is oil in Kuwait.

A realist would actually say that if Kuwait had not been liberated, a nut like Saddam would have controlled a lot more oil. Would that have suited you?

And further, what is your opinion on this idiot telling the PM to convert? Can you enlighten us?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 20):
The old story. How about this? Humanity has evolved over the past few hundred years. What was acceptable hundreds of years ago, like slavery, forced religious conversion etc. is no longer acceptable.

Can the Arab world say the same?

Hell, the Arab/Islamic world hasn't even advanced to the age of the American Civil War, it seems, with few exceptions. It's still stuck in a time warp, several centuries behind the world, which is why it's in such turmoil and hatred towards everyone else.

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 25):
I'm pretty disgusted at the level of western arrogrance and hypocrisry that is consistent in these threads.

I'm pretty disgusted at the level of Arab/Islamic terrorisim that is consistent the world.

Call it even?

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 25):
It's bit like saying all Western men are child molesters.

Or that all Arabs are terrorists?

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 30):
ProudQatari

Proud American. What's your point? And you do know your nation is an ALLY of the United States, don't you? Or did that slip your mind in all the loathing you spew our way?

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 32):
Oh, if so we gave up everything we worked hard for and became a muslim nation and utterly decimated our country's culture, we would be respected in Asia. I'd rather be an outpost for George W. Bush any day.

Everyone knows how much I dislike Mr. Bush, but if it's a choice between him and the Arab/Muslim world, I'm firmly on the side of Mr. Bush.

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 37):
And i spend 3 months in the region last year so i know it quite well.

rotfl   rotfl 

I spent 3 months living in the Rockies west of Denver once, and I can't say I was an expert on the region.

Now, that is arrogance, dude.

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 52):
The fact that I have ruffled some 'feathers' means i have come closer to the truth. The truth hurts. So be it.

If the truth were plastered on the butt of a bull, you couldn't hit it with a bass fiddle, dude.

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 72):
Now to the matter of the Aborignies. When you're not stunning their growth

I thought mother nature stunted their growth?  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

LO231

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 99):
I was thinking we hadn't seen a looney like this since B744F....

Or Scotty...

Regards,
LO231

dan2002

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 102):
Or Scotty...

Regards,
LO231

Scotty was strange in an incoherent kinda way, but I'll bet he made more sense than Zen does.

ProudSomething

P.S-are we considered Anti-Zenites now?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

LO231

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 103):
he made more sense than Zen does

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 103):
-are we considered Anti-Zenites now?

You are the chairman now!

And yes, Scotty made much more input than Zen...

Regards,
LO231

[Edited 2006-06-15 23:42:46]

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 am

Quite a lot actually as one of the main leader in South East Asia.

So? Australia has greater international influence than Malaysia.

Malaysia weilds great influence over Indonesia, Singapore and Brunei.

I think there's a couple of million Singaporeans and Indonesians who'd disagree.

Once Australia, has made up it's mind to be in Asia or out of it as America's lackeys, sooner or later it has to deal with Malaysia.

Hmm interesting. Made up its mind eh? If we did this, is there some special way you'd like us to announce it? A speech from the floor of the Malaysian parliament? "Today we are Asian" - that sort of speech?

Please. Australia has no pressing choice to make. We are what we are, a country that sits beside Asia and the Pacific. We don't have to make any sort of a committment, and if countries require us to align with a specific 'region' then they have issues.

As for dealing with Malaysia, you're overstating its power and understating our power.

Now to the matter of the Aborignies. When you're not stunning their growth or building liqour stores near their settlements.

Stunning their growth? Do you mean stunting their growth? If so, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about. As for these liquor stores near Aboriginal settlements, most rural indigenous communities are alcohol-free and are patrolled extensively by police targeting alcohol consumption. Maybe Qatar should invest its squillions in its education system? Either that or you can come and spend three months in Australia and become an "expert".

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

daz34

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 am

all this is doing my head in.....cant we talk about the ashes!!  banghead 

LO231

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 105):
Once Australia, has made up it's mind to be in Asia or out of it as America's lackeys, sooner or later it has to deal with Malaysia.

I think Belgium is in the US. Oh wait, we changed our minds, we're in Europe!!!!!!

I thought Australia and Oceania were considered a continent... But who am I questioning the quality of education in Qatar?

Regards,

LO231

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Daz34 (Reply 106):
all this is doing my head in.....cant we talk about the ashes!!

We can have a conversation about Australia without involving England and Cricket, Daz. Sorry you feel left out. I saw a few Argies in another thread, why don't you head on over and gloat?

QFF

VHVXB
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:21 am

Where is Zen now?? AirPacific747??

Quoting Daz34 (Reply 106):
cant we talk about the ashes!!

Can't wait for it to start I already have my tickets for the Sydney test match.

AirPacific747

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm here! Big grin

filler

bill142

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 109):
Where is Zen now??

Clearly QFF has put ZEN in his place. Just like Malaysia will do to Australia.

VHVXB
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 111):
Clearly QFF has put ZEN in his place

Exactly and shouldn't come out until he knows what he is talking about.

F9Animal

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:48 pm

Edited because I found Zen100 to be out of line, and I should not even waste my fingers to type anymore.

[Edited 2006-06-16 09:08:57]
I Am A Different Animal!!

cabso1

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Zen is clearly a disillusioned Islamic extremist, probably an ally of Bin Laden who has vowed to take over a.net along with his protege Zen.

He is after all a self obsessed obnoxious rich Qatari brat who got all of his money from his dad.

mdsh00

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:52 pm

Yes a bit like your treatment of the Aboringines. Like the pot calling the kettle black.

You should be one to talk, especially when much of the growth of the Gulf (ie Dubai, AHD, Doha, etc.) are on the backs of poor migrant workers from South Asia who are paid slave labor salaries, some who can't even afford to call their families back home. Fix that and things the abuse of Filipina maids and then maybe you can lecture Australians about being hypocrites.

VHVXB
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 113):
I would love to know. Would you visit Israel?

Obviously he wouldn't because its nothing like Malaysia according to him

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 111):
Clearly QFF has put ZEN in his place.

Well, I cause you fellow Australians enough grief on the board, I felt I should do something to make it up to you.

QFF

docpepz

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Oh Poor Malaysia, no one from Malaysia has said anything on this thread and they're being criticised, just cos someone on this forum decided to say Malaysia yielded great influence over Singapore, Indonesia and Australia! Let's leave Malaysia alone..... And yours truly from LITTLE SINGAPORE thinks that whatever said and done, Malaysia is the most successful state with a Muslim (albeit slight) majority and we should not judge them through our own eyes and experiences as every country has its own set of experiences to learn from and build upon.

Though Mahathir has said many things off the record, he still has lifted Malaysia to being South East Asia's richest state per capita after Singapore. And bear in mind, Malaysia has a racially diverse population, spanning two land masses (East and West Malaysia)..... Singapore is a tiny country (YES AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT IS TINY ZEN! LITTLE SINGAPORE) compared to Malaysia and one could argue that Lee Kuan Yew was the right man in the right place at the right time and what he did to propel Singapore to first world standards in a matter of 20 years probably could not be replicated by any other person in any other place in any other circumstances.

I guess many of us are guilty of looking at other countries through our own lenses, peppered with our own prejudices and bias and in all seriousness, it is difficult not to. Our judgements and perceptions are shaped by our own experiences in the people we come into contact with, and the values our societies impart to us. For example, many Australians would find the Singaporean way of life really boring because there's not much in the way of outdoor life, and there's not much to do but shop and eat.

Likewise, many Singaporeans say that Australia is "boring" because shops close at 5.30 everyday, dining out is expensive compared to Singapore and the pace of life is generally slower, thus leading Singaporeans to think that Australia is rather "laid back". Likewise, Australians would claim Singaporeans have no life since all they do is work and save and live to work.... While Singaporeans would claim Australians don't have a life because all they like to do is enjoy the outdoors and heaven forbid, they don't shop and eat! Life is all about shopping and eating! (To me, life is all about cheap food and shops closing at 10pm! Everything else is secondary! Yes I'm that sad haha)

Every country has its own model that suits them in a particular period of time. Singapore's model of benevolent authoritarianism (whereby Singaporeans let the government do whatever they want in return for economic wealth) seems to have worked for us well, till today. Whether this system continues to work in our favour would depend on having competent people in charge, because, in our system without checks and balances, a competent administration like the one we have now can run the country effectively, but in the event it turns corrupt (in the traditional sense of the word, one could argue that the Singapore government has no need to turn to conventional forms of corruption since it controls nearly every aspect of the economy - remember that perfect information flow to the government means absolute power!)

Qatar has its own form of government that serves it well at this point in time, as does Malaysia, Thailand and every other country in the world. Perhaps East Timor and Iraq might be notable exceptions.

The fact is, we are all at our own stages of development and as a people we decide how our country is governed. As citizens of whatever country we reside in, we should seek to have a stake in the governing of our own country, without being overly critical of countries around us. Lee Kuan Yew, for example, seems to love advising other governments, especiallly developing ones, on the wonderful Singaporean way of governance, but perhaps he should realise that the Singaporean way of government only works in circumstances unique to Singapore.

Many of us, when visiting other countries or are exposed to other cultures, would inevitably compare those countries to our own, perhaps to reassure ourselves that our way of life is good, or that our way of life is the one that suits us best. Some of us may have superiority complexes (as many Singaporeans do when they visit neighbouring countries. "Oh how lucky we are in Singapore.... we have this and that..... unlike our impoverished neighbours" many Singaporeans love to say). Based on what I've read, The Singaporean papers love to speak of how lucky Singaporeans are compared to Malaysia, the Malaysian papers speak of how lucky Malaysians are compared to Thailand, the Thai papers speak of how lucky Thais are compared to the rest of Indochina etc etc

I'm guilty of that sometimes, and I'm sure many of us from the developed world are. Many westerners are very critical of Singapore and cannot comprehend how a supposed "dictatorship" can deliver a standard of living compared to leading western european nations. "You are rich but you have no freedom. We are rich AND have freedom" many would like to say.

Perhaps we can all agree to disagree when comparing how various countries are run. If there were a perfect model and solution to everything, the world would be a rather boring place won't it!

Right, I shall end my monotonous prattle right here!

Zen100

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting Docpepz (Reply 118):

Well said Docpepz.

ProudQatari
ProudQatari. Small Country with 5* Airline

QANTASforever

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:50 pm

many Singaporeans say that Australia is "boring" because shops close at 5.30 everyday

The shops don't close at 5:30 everyday.

Likewise, Australians would claim Singaporeans have no life since all they do is work and save and live to work....

Um yeah, we do that too. Australians work more overtime than most other OECD nationals.

hile Singaporeans would claim Australians don't have a life because all they like to do is enjoy the outdoors and heaven forbid, they don't shop and eat!

Have you even been here? You have a weird idea of what goes on in Australia. Do you think we all just hang out under a tree all day?

Perhaps we can all agree to disagree when comparing how various countries are run. If there were a perfect model and solution to everything, the world would be a rather boring place won't it!

I do like your post, it's almost a microcosm of Singapore itself, playing the mediator between Australia and Asia. I'll still never set a foot in Malaysia until they start to develop some manners, and I'm completely averse to many policies of your government, but who am I to hold that against you personally?

QFF

RobertNL070

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting Docpepz (Reply 120):
many Singaporeans say that Australia is "boring" because shops close at 5.30 everyday

If that were to be the case, and because of that many Singaporeans find Australia "boring", then that would be more of a sad reflection on Singaporeans than on Australia and Australians. However ....

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 121):
The shops don't close at 5:30 everyday.

bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

cfalk

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Have you even been here? You have a weird idea of what goes on in Australia. Do you think we all just hang out under a tree all day?

That is his whole point. Impressions from a distance are generally misleading stereotypes.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

L410Turbolet

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Australians work more overtime than most other OECD nationals

According to some statistics I've read sometime ago Czechs are supposed to spend more time at work than anyone else from the OECD. Please note the emphasis on "spend", which is something completely different than actual "work".  Big grin

L410

somewhatProudCzech - we're most likely not richer than you, don't even have a 5* airline, leading the world in per capita beer consumption

VHVXB
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:26 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 123):
That is his whole point. Impressions from a distance are generally misleading stereotypes.

Try telling Zen that

AirPacific747

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 125):
Try telling Zen that

I think we should all just ignore that airhead and his retarded comments from now on  Wink

mandala499

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 pm

First useful post I've seen from a Proud Qatari in this thread... that is...
"Well said Docpepz."

Now this is getting boring... J/K

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

VHOJC

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:04 am

Looks as if our Proud Qatari is taking a holiday for week or so  Big grin
When there is nothing left to burn...set yourself on fire!!!

rjpieces

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting VHOJC (Reply 127):
Looks as if our Proud Qatari is taking a holiday for week or so

What got him?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

aloges

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting VHOJC (Reply 127):
Looks as if our Proud Qatari is taking a holiday for week or so

Seems like they've got coolers in Malaysia... and I'm not talking about wine coolers.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

VHOJC

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 129):
Seems like they've got coolers in Malaysia... and I'm not talking about wine coolers.

rotfl 
When there is nothing left to burn...set yourself on fire!!!

miamiair

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 120):
Do you think we all just hang out under a tree all day?

And here I thought you played all day with those funny animals that have the long tails and hop around...

Looks like he's been bagged and tagged for a bit...

And he's not a radical either. Well, not that radical. Can you imagine???
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

docpepz

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:55 am

Hey guys I was just using an example of extreme sorts to highlight how stereotypes arise, I didn't quite mean to imply that all Singaporeans do is eat and shop, and all Australians do is enjoy the outdoors! I had to pick an extreme example of sorts to drive home the point....(But i reiterate that for me, the most important thing in life is cheap food, followed by the shops closing at 10pm everyday. Everything else is secondary! hahahaha. Yes sad indictment on me! horrid!)

QFF, I'm doing a postgrad degree in Sydney, so I've spent 4 months here last year and 3 months here so far, this year. No I don't claim to be an expert on australia... I don't even claim to be an expert on Singapore! Cos you know, spending 3 months in a place doesn't make you an expert on the country's affairs. Heck, even being born in a particular country and spending your life there doesn't make you an expert in that country's affairs!

My oh my, I got praise from Zen. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

By the way QFF I do recommend you visit Malaysia because it is the people there that make the country such a joy to visit. They really are some of the most hospitable, friendly people in the world, especially in Sarawak and Sabah in East Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur is really a modern, vibrant capital city with much to offer. We shouldn't sideline any country's population even if we disagree with certain members of their government.

nycflyer

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:07 am

Interesting thread.

Actually, Australia is dealing with Malaysia quite nicely. Let's run down the list.

1) Perhaps our friend Mr. Zen is unaware that Australia and Malaysia already have very strong bilateral ties. In fact, they're in the process of hammering out a politically sensitive free trade agreement.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/malaysia/fta/index.html

2) Mr. Zen is probably also unaware that just last week, Malaysia's Foreign Affairs Secretary spoke at Monash University in Melbourne, praising Malaysia-Australia relations.

http://www.monash.edu.au/news/monash...ories/20060607/malaysia-forum.html

3) This happens to be my favorite:

Now that East Timor is a basket case, you will have to deal with it yourselves.

Actually, Mr. Zen, alongside the Aussies and Kiwis, guess who - the Malaysians!! - have contributed 1/3 of the troops that are currently stabilizing East Timor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5018648.stm

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 8):
Australia should behave, or it will be shut out of Asia by Malaysia.

Spare us your nonsense.

mandala499

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:25 am

My oh my, I got praise from Zen. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Perhaps "insignificant" as one of the choices would get my vote... J/K

Actually, Mr. Zen, alongside the Aussies and Kiwis, guess who - the Malaysians!! - have contributed 1/3 of the troops that are currently stabilizing East Timor.

Perhaps he should have seen the footage of the Malaysian C130 being marshalled by an Aussie Defence personnell in Dili... and then the door opens, dozens of Malaysian army squaddies come out, greeted by a bunch of Aussie squaddies and they.... err... shook hands... (I can see some people screaming out in disbelief!)

What got him?
Must be those infidel movies... or was it the dinner invitation to join a table of infidels eating haram food and discussing coolers?

Now I hope somene doesn't take that comment too seriously...  Smile

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

windshear

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:29 am

For what it is worth...

Docpepz: I cannot understand if you mean that criticism of Australia or if you just wanted to point out some of the stereo typing that goes on in the region?!

I have never-ever been to Australia, but that does not mean that I disregard it as a holiday destination. My whole life I have looked at Australia as the ultimate holiday destination, only thing that has changed over the years after hearing personal experiences from many travellers, is the fact that I now know that New Zealand needs to be visited as well.

This criticism of Australia, is unbelievable, fact is that it is a high status travel destination, at least from a European standpoint, it is expensive to go and therefor not many have been.

As for laid back?! Well Sydney might not be, but the places that are, just makes them that much more my cup of tea!

As for Singapore, I really like Singapore and would also want to go and visit there, but I have heard negative things, as to what to do and see there, while not hearing one bit of negative outlet about Australia.

So anyone wishing to donate their 'unwanted' tickets to Aussie, hand 'em over bitte Big grin

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

LO231

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:39 am

PS. Mr Zen is out for a week. A violation of rules or something...  Wink

Regards,
LO231

slider

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 136):
PS. Mr Zen is out for a week. A violation of rules or something...

Well, surprise, surprise...I guess racial and national flame baiting is reason for hiatus. Big grin

LO231

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 135):
As for Singapore, I really like Singapore and would also want to go and visit there, but I have heard negative things, as to what to do and see there,

Me, too. I might be paranoid, but I alwas think: "Imagine soemone puts drugs in my luggage"... I don't want to die. In a prison.

I know it's irrational and I always have my luggage with me, but I always wonder, "do I have it in sight every second?"

I don't need that on holiday..

Regards,
LO231

LO231

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 137):
Well, surprise, surprise...I guess racial and national flame baiting is reason for hiatus.

No, it was GD.... GD....p... whatever.... :P

Regards,
LO231

David L

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 135):
Docpepz: I cannot understand if you mean that criticism of Australia or if you just wanted to point out some of the stereo typing that goes on in the region?!

Relax...

Quoting DocPepz (Reply 132):
Hey guys I was just using an example of extreme sorts to highlight how stereotypes arise, I didn't quite mean to imply that all Singaporeans do is eat and shop, and all Australians do is enjoy the outdoors! I had to pick an extreme example of sorts to drive home the point

Smile

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting DocPepz (Reply 132):
By the way QFF I do recommend you visit Malaysia because it is the people there that make the country such a joy to visit.

I don't think I'll be doing that, but thank you. I transited through Malaysia when I first arrived in Australia, that was in the early 80s - and I've never been back nor do I have any desire to. Why should I travel to a country that openly and repeatedly says racist and discriminatory things about my country's population? Screw Malaysia, I can get by quite well without ever setting foot in the place.

Singapore is lovely, although I'm not too keen to go back in the short term in light of recent....events.

QFF