TedTAce
Topic Author

Nude Marriage Proposal Gone Wrong...

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:45 pm

My question though, is his point about risks still valid?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13334012/
This space intentionally left blank

QFA380

RE: Nude Marriage Proposal Gone Wrong...

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Poor guy, just wanted to marry his girlfriend and ends up getting shot at.

The lesson we learn is don't run around naked and listen to the guy with the gun.

legoguy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:00 pm

Wow. Do many people in the US carry guns?

And to shoot a nude guy. Thats just harsh. What did the guy the the gun think he was doing?!?!?! Did he not think about the consequences of what he was doing? (same goes the to streaker) hehehe
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

milan320

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 2):

I'd think that probably 90% do no?
I accept bribes ... :-)

legoguy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 3):

Is it not illegal. If everyones carrying guns around, is it any wonder you hear about someone getting shot everyday

Nancy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Nothing would convince me that a guy was ready for the serious commitment involved in marriage likehim running around naked.

KaiGywer

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Now, we all know how accurate reporters are...but... If the story is true, the guy should have his CCW (if he has one) taken away, as he can't shoot a guy who is running away from him.

Oh, and before the anti-gun crowd chimes in. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns can be a very fun hobby as long as they are handled properly.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

legoguy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 6):
Oh, and before the anti-gun crowd chimes in. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns can be a very fun hobby as long as they are handled properly.

We all know guns dont kill people, rappers do.

On a serious note, yes, guns can be a fun hobby in the right hands, but there are many irresponible people in the big bad world, and if a gun falls in their their posession....

solnabo

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:55 pm

@kaigwyer

"Guns can be a very fun hobby as long as they are handled properly"

Are you a member of this rifle association dont remember the whole name of them?

Scary to hear imo. We are from diffrent worlds, thats for sure.

Micke//SWE Sad
Airbus SAS - Love them both

nkops

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 am

Women are nothing but trouble sometimes!!! If she would have just said yes, this wouldn't have happened!!! Big grin
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

airwave

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 3):

No, not even close. Sure, statistically speaking, there may be five firearms for every one American (or something like that), but that doesn't mean every citizen possesses one. I'd be quite surprised if the number of gun owners nationwide exceeded 65%.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 4):
Is it not illegal. If everyones carrying guns around, is it any wonder you hear about someone getting shot everyday

No, it is not illegal. The Second Amendment to the US Constitution provides all citizens with the right to bear arms. But guys, it's not like it's the wild west over here; Jesse James and his ilk have gone the way of the posse and duels at high-noon just don't happen any more.  Smile

Quoting Nancy (Reply 5):
Nothing would convince me that a guy was ready for the serious commitment involved in marriage likehim running around naked.

Something about the sanctity of marriage, what?  Wink

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

KaiGywer

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 8):
Are you a member of this rifle association dont remember the whole name of them?

National Rifle Association - NRA. No, I'm not a member.

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 8):
Scary to hear imo. We are from diffrent worlds, thats for sure.

Yeah, I'm from Norway, you're a Swede  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

TheSunseeker

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:07 am

its not new that marriages can kill you  Wink
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged

DLKAPA

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Nancy (Reply 5):

So that's how mark did it...
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:00 am

Do many people in the US carry guns?

No.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 4):

It depends on what state you live in whether or not you can carry a gun around. Some states allow 'concealed weapons', others allow 'unconcealed weapons', still others allow you to carry one in the trunk of your car, and some states don't allow you to carry one in publiac at all.

Quoting Airwave (Reply 10):
No, it is not illegal. The Second Amendment to the US Constitution provides all citizens with the right to bear arms.

What's interesting about that ammendment is that many people truncate the wording to "The right to bear arms." The real wording is "the right to bear arms as part of a well controlled militia", which many owners are not. It's the loophole that Charles Heston et al have been taking advantage of for years.

No, not even close. Sure, statistically speaking, there may be five firearms for every one American (or something like that), but that doesn't mean every citizen possesses one. I'd be quite surprised if the number of gun owners nationwide exceeded 65%.

My father-in-law is a cop with the LAPD out of Long Beach. He tells me that personal ownership is at about 50%, so one in every two people nationally own a gun. However, the ratio of guns per household is significantly lower - just 39% of households have a gun. The state with highest ownership per person and per house is Arizona, with the lowest per person being Rhode Island, and per house being Oregon. Pretty interesting I think.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jetflyer

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:06 am

I'm in two minds about this one. The tempatation to chase and shoot a naked idiot is just so high, yet it's hardly justifyable and I like the shock-dare tactics of the man proposing, what a character.

[Edited 2006-06-15 22:09:44]

deltadc9

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 1):

I for one would not step farther than line of sight into the deep woods withoug a gun, swamps and desert too. Too many critters that can kill or seriously injure. It just takes one pissed off bear, buck, or aligator to send you to a gun shop.

Not a hunter, but hunting is huge here. Deer have become far too numerous. The interstates in the mid west are like killing fields, blood and guts everywhere.

And then there is the south side of Chicago.....
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

MUWarriors

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 14):
What's interesting about that ammendment is that many people truncate the wording to "The right to bear arms." The real wording is "the right to bear arms as part of a well controlled militia", which many owners are not. It's the loophole that Charles Heston et al have been taking advantage of for years.

The actual amendment is a little more fuzzy than that, unfortunately. Here is the direct 2nd Ammendment :

Quote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Now I am all for gun control, but I admit that interupting what that actually means is hard. Whether the militia is a key part of the statement (my view), or whether the key part is the right to bear arms is key (anti-gun control view).

On topic, the shooter lives in Ann Arbor? If he wants to shoot naked people why not just hang out at the annual U of M naked run? He would have his pick of targets.

legoguy

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:24 am

I dont mind that people have a gun in their household, as it can make you feel safe. However to carry a gun around with you when walking about the place...and take a pot shot at come nude guy...maybe going abit too far  Smile

prosa

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 16):
I for one would not step farther than line of sight into the deep woods withoug a gun, swamps and desert too. Too many critters that can kill or seriously injure. It just takes one pissed off bear, buck, or aligator to send you to a gun shop.

And just how many people are killed or seriously injured by wild animal attacks each year? I suspect the number's barely into the double digits.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

airwave

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:22 am

My father-in-law is a cop with the LAPD out of Long Beach. He tells me that personal ownership is at about 50%, so one in every two people nationally own a gun. However, the ratio of guns per household is significantly lower - just 39% of households have a gun. The state with highest ownership per person and per house is Arizona, with the lowest per person being Rhode Island, and per house being Oregon. Pretty interesting I think.

Hmmm, good stuff. Thanks!

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 17):
The actual amendment is a little more fuzzy than that, unfortunately. Here is the direct 2nd Ammendment :

Quote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

There it is. I didn't think I had it worded right. Good stuff.

Now I am all for gun control, but I admit that interupting what that actually means is hard. Whether the militia is a key part of the statement (my view), or whether the key part is the right to bear arms is key (anti-gun control view).

Good point.

On topic, the shooter lives in Ann Arbor? If he wants to shoot naked people why not just hang out at the annual U of M naked run? He would have his pick of targets.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1255208/  Wink

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

prebennorholm

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:42 am

So what can we learn from this?

Naked people running around in the streets should wear bulletproof waistcoats.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

MD-90

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:40 am

Did he actually hit him, or did the guy just drop to the ground and suffer "minor injuries" (not hard to imagine in the bare skin versus asphalt fight)?

You can't shoot someone fleeing, unless you saw him commit a heinous crime like murder and believe he's a threat to others unless stopped. The shooter committed a crime, and will likely face criminal prosecution and possibly a civil lawsuit.

Yes. And they're used (80% of the time without firing a shot) to prevent a huge number of crimes every year, estimates ranging from 400,000 to 2.5 million, every year.

ilikeyyc

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am

"the security of a free state" is the key phrase to the amendment. It does not read "the security of a person" nor "the right to hunt." The purpose of this amendment is to show that the ultimate power lies not in a government, but in the citizens who elect a government. Many people think that the only threat to the security of a free state is external. They don't realize that this amendment is designed to protect the security of a free state from an internal threat, that is the government itself, and the citizens must have a way to defend themselves from their own government should some despot leader turn the armies against its own people.

It is not practical for John Q. Public to defend himself against the weapons of today's armies, but it was practical in 1787. The symbolism of ultimate power being in the hands of the citizens is extremely important.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 23):
should some despot leader turn the armies against its own people.

Like Bush?  duck 
This space intentionally left blank

kaddyuk

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 6):
Guns don't kill people, people kill people

Guns dont kill people, BULLETS kill people...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

F9Animal

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:12 pm

And to shoot a nude guy. Thats just harsh. What did the guy the the gun think he was doing?!?!?! Did he not think about the consequences of what he was doing? (same goes the to streaker) hehehe

Which one? Both had loaded guns! Obviously!!! Next time they need to conceal them, and not pull them out in public. This event could have been avoided.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ilikeyyc

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 24):
Like Bush?

It took 24 replies, but someone finally took a shot at Bush (pun intended)!

Seriously though, not even close. I was thinking more about the Chairman Maos, the Augusto Pinochets, the Hitlers, Saddam Husseins and others out there.

We are so off topic now
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Tod

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 25):
Guns dont kill people, BULLETS kill people...

They do?
I've got thousands of them and they have never even tried to hurt a person. I guess I am just lucky to such a responsible and reasonable group of little guys.

Maybe, just maybe all the happy little bullets of the world never ever hurt anyone until a person forces them to do so?

Tod

Fokker Lover

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:13 am

A resident called police, who arrested the gunman on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. He was taken to the Washtenaw County jail but released following further investigation, police Sgt. Patrick Hughes told The Associated Press.

That tells you right there that he had a concealed carry permit. The problem here is, he should have never fired a shot. There was no direct threat in progress.
When I got my Pennsylvania permit I walked into the Sheriff's office filled out a form and received a license after a background check.
When I got my Ohio permit I had to take a class, learn about Ohio shoot and don't shoot rules, and demonstrate my ability on the range.

Both States have their good points, but I think I could support a class on shoot and don't shoot situations. Some safe handling classes too.

Quoting Airwave (Reply 20):
Quote:

The meaning of well regulated has changed since then. It used to mean well supplied and well armed. They had all towns count their guns, ammo, canteens, boots, and many other supplies. If they didn't have enough they were supposed to get more.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
The meaning of this part has not changed. Our right to defend ourselves shall not be infringed upon. We just need to weed out the stupid people.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.