Newark777
Topic Author

Well, I Gave Soccer A Chance

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:32 am

And I'm not impressed. I went into the WC with an open mind about the sport, hoping to get something out of it, and in the end it just confirmed why I, and most Americans, don't watch it.

1) Lack of Excitement I can't tell you how many times it happened, one of the players broke away towards goal, only to have the ref call an off-sides. Is this rule specifically designed to prevent scoring? SI had a great article about it in the last issue, how soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line, to bring some life back to the sport.

2) Pussies and Prima Donnas I hear everyone telling us how tough these players are, how much abuse they have to take. But every time someone touches their shinguards, they seem to take dives, start crying and screaming, and making ridiculous faces at the ref. Either they are pussies that are always getting hurt, or actors just trying to get a call. Either way, it sucks.

3) Referees The whole idea of redcards and yellowcards helping decide a game is a complete put-off to me. Why should I watch a whole match, when a ref is just going to give a red card, and make the team play a man down the rest of the game? And prevent that player from playing the next game? The ref's have WAY too much power, and no one likes to see games be effected that much by the games. We want to see the players play the game, not the refs.

Yes, I'm sure I'll hear everyone complain that "that's the way the game is played," blah,blah,blah, but the fact is, most Americans just don't and won't care about the game the way it currently is.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Scorpio

RE: Well, I Gave Soccer A Chance

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Newark777 (Thread starter):
but the fact is, most Americans just don't and won't care about the game the way it currently is.

Seeing as how it's the most popular sport in the world bar none, maybe that says more about 'most Americans' than it does about football?

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 1):
Seeing as how it's the most popular sport in the world bar none, maybe that says more about 'most Americans' than it does about football?

It's only a sport, it says nothing about Americans.

Harry

greasespot

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:52 am

SI had a great article about it in the last issue, how soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line, to bring some life back to the sport.

Yeah that is what is needed...It is only the WORLDS most popular sport and the most watched television event...as it is....so yeah it really needs to change.......It really needs to change..
GS  sarcastic 
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

andz

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:01 am

soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line

No such thing as soccer, it is football. And, no it doesn't.

Pussies and Prima Donnas

Not a helmet, glove or shoulder pad in sight.

The whole idea of redcards and yellowcards helping decide a game is a complete put-off to me.

It's called enforcing discipline.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

StarAC17

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:02 am

I can't tell you how many times it happened, one of the players broke away towards goal, only to have the ref call an off-sides. Is this rule specifically designed to prevent scoring? SI had a great article about it in the last issue, how soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line, to bring some life back to the sport.

It's to prevent cherrypicking similar to that of offsides in hockey except that offsides in soccer can be anywhere on the field.

I know Americans are not that fond of the game but the last thing it needs are the rules you suggest, what it does need is a system to keep the refs in check such as replay. However by doing this it takes away from the constant play of the game which is one thing I love about it.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Scorpio

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
It's only a sport, it says nothing about Americans.

Actually, it says an awful lot about them. How else do you explain the popularity of the sport in the rest of the world, and the relative indifference to it in the US?

Americans (in general) seem to want everything in small, bitesize portions, ready to go, with lots of cheering if possible. In sports, that translates into lots of scoring, short periods with lots of breaks, with lots of 'sideline entertainment'. Football has none of those.

You yourself seem to equate excitement to 'lots of scoring' (your first point is titled 'lack of excitement' while in reality it's about 'lack of scoring'). Most Americans can't seem to understand that there can be just as much, if not more, excitement in not scoring that crucial goal or missing that big chance.

It's for this reason that for example professional road cycling will never reach the heights in the US that it has reached in Europe: it takes too long (sometimes TV broadcasts of five hours or more), and something 'exciting' happens maybe once or twice an hour. And yet millions of people watch it here.

andz

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 5):
offsides in soccer can be anywhere on the field.

almost... in football you cannot be offside in your own half.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

senorcarnival

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:20 am

5.7 billion people, give or take, love the sport the way it is. And SI proposes that it be accomodated so 300 million can possibly enjoy it? SI can cram it with walnuts.

That's fine you didn't like football, Harry. To be honest, although I'm from Brazil and this shit is in my blood, some of the games in this tournament have indeed been less than impressive. It's commendable that you at least gave it a chance unlike the average Joe Six-Pack that takes the banter of Jim Rome as gospel.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Jaspike

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:29 am

I hear everyone telling us how tough these players are, how much abuse they have to take.

You should watch some rugby  Wink

Tom

Nancy

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:39 am

You have to understand the rules and the strategies in soccer for it to be exciting. If you don't it just looks like a bunch of people running around on a field. That being said, American rules football and baseball hardly give things to people in "bite size pieces". Both can be very slow moving at times and American rules football has some really complicated rules and I'm sure that's extremely boring (Why are the just standing there?!) if you don't understand it.

lewis

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:40 am

2) Pussies and Prima Donnas

As Andz said, the players have no protective equipment. And if you look at their general physique, they are not the kind of sports players that are over-built (see rugby).

ManuCH
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:46 am

Newark777, thank you for your post. That's exactly how I feel about soccer as well. This basically sums up what I've been trying to say for years. Welcome to my RU list.

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

planesarecool

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:57 am

2) Pussies and Prima Donnas I hear everyone telling us how tough these players are, how much abuse they have to take.

I haven't seen anybody say football players are "tough," but they sure need to be fit, and are. They do more running in football, have less breaks and have a larger field than in American "football." On top of that, the only "protection" they have are shin pads, and i can tell you from personal experience, if you don't wear them, you are at risk of a career-ending injury. On top of that, in your game, they play 16 matches in a league. 95% of players at the World Cup would have played a season of up to 50-60 matches, for 10 months prior to the competition. Your average footballer gets 6 weeks off at the end of the season (when the world cup isn't on), before they return to training in July.

1) Lack of Excitement I can't tell you how many times it happened, one of the players broke away towards goal, only to have the ref call an off-sides. Is this rule specifically designed to prevent scoring? SI had a great article about it in the last issue, how soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line, to bring some life back to the sport.

Well how the hell can you like American football then? Unless you like watching commercials, you're in for a bore.

3) Referees The whole idea of redcards and yellowcards helping decide a game is a complete put-off to me.

Referees are there to control the game. Sure, some of the refereeing in this world cup has been low-tolerance, but what's the point of having 'sin bins' where a player goes and has a rest and then comes back on as if nothing happened? A yellow card tells the player that they need to be careful for the remainder of the match - a red card is for a poor challenge (many of which can end careers) or for continuous minor offenses that they have been warned about continuously by the referee.

Soccer

Its football. It was invented before the US was even discovered - unfortunately, the US can't even think up an original name for a sport.

Mir

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 13):
Sure, some of the refereeing in this world cup has been low-tolerance, but what's the point of having 'sin bins' where a player goes and has a rest and then comes back on as if nothing happened?

The point is that their team has to play shorthanded for that time, which gives the other team a better chance to score.

EDIT: I should add, since you mention how they come back as if nothing happened, in hockey it's quite normal to have them come back to find their team down a goal. If you want to consider that as "nothing happened", be my guest.

-Mir

[Edited 2006-06-18 19:08:53]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

planesarecool

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
EDIT: I should add, since you mention how they come back as if nothing happened, in hockey it's quite normal to have them come back to find their team down a goal. If you want to consider that as "nothing happened", be my guest.

I meant that they would come back as if they had either not done anything wrong, or that their "sins had been forgiven." If they had this in football, they would continue to commit offenses because they know that the worst that can happen is a few minutes off the pitch.

mdsh00

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):

Its football. It was invented before the US was even discovered - unfortunately, the US can't even think up an original name for a sport.

Seriously, it gets old after a while  Yeah sure. Stop trying to correct us because we will always call it soccer whether or not Europeans like it.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 6):
Actually, it says an awful lot about them. How else do you explain the popularity of the sport in the rest of the world, and the relative indifference to it in the US?

Make that the US and Canada. And Americans are not that indifferent to it. Those here that like it, love it. Our womens team is among the best in the world, and Mia Hamm is very well known. The problem with soccer in the US (and I am guessing Canada too) is that it has the image of little kids and their soccer moms bringing out snacks and drinks at the end of the game.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 8):
5.7 billion people, give or take, love the sport the way it is. And SI proposes that it be accomodated so 300 million can possibly enjoy it? SI can cram it with walnuts.

Can't SI give their own opinions? Nobody says FIFA has to listen or accomodate.

Americans (in general) seem to want everything in small, bitesize portions, ready to go, with lots of cheering if possible. In sports, that translates into lots of scoring, short periods with lots of breaks, with lots of 'sideline entertainment'. Football has none of those.

Well then I suppose you don't really watch Baseball then do you? Probably one of the most boring games to watch on TV (again my opinon).

For me, I enjoyed watching US-Italy but I also think that I would not have enjoyed it as much if it weren't for World Cup and watching the US play.

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):

Sorry, called soccer here, time to face reality.

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):

There's none of that in tennis either, I guess that's a rough and tough game also.

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):
It's called enforcing discipline.

It's called overdoing it. Take them out for 10 minutes, or something like that.

As Falcon has said over and over in other threads, I go to sports events to be entertained and excited. If you want to spend all that money to see some deaper meaning in a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around, fine by me.

We should change the MLS, not the enire world's rules. Didn't really make that too clear, sorry.

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 9):
You should watch some rugby

I've played rugby competitively before.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 11):

As Andz said, the players have no protective equipment.

That's because there's little contact, and when there is, everyone is rolling around and bitching to each other, and getting kicked out.

Well how the hell can you like American football then? Unless you like watching commercials, you're in for a bore.

When you grow with it, you like. Same with you Euros and soccer I guess.

It's too bad the name soccer came from the UK. Want to cry about it some more?

http://www.phisinc.com/images/cms_upload/cry%20baby.jpg

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 12):
Newark777, thank you for your post. That's exactly how I feel about soccer as well. This basically sums up what I've been trying to say for years. Welcome to my RU list.

Why, thank you.  Smile

Harry

texan

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:49 am

I gave soccer another chance last year and have been hooked ever since. Not as good as hockey in my opinion, but fun to watch. More action than American football (one play every three minutes or so is not exciting), much more fun than basketball (which I love to play but just cannot watch), and infinitely more exciting than televised golf. Watched more soccer this year than baseball, although I enjoy baseball at the ballpark better than soccer at the park. Yes there are divers, but every sport has those (the Dive-alanche, anybody?). Some of the referees, like the one for the Italy vs. US game, are horrible. But there are horrible refs and umps in every sport (I loathe Kerry Fraser in hockey; what does he have against the Stars anyway?). Soccer is a fun game to watch with tons of skill. There is a lot of diving and it would be better if the refs gave fouls or cards for dives, but the atmosphere, the athleticism (that's a hell of a lot of running), the experience...it is just tough to beat.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 18):
There is a lot of diving and it would be better if the refs gave fouls or cards for dives,

You can get a yellow card for diving if caught.

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 19):

So are the refs blind?

Harry

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:59 am

I think that besides some of the reasons posted above, the lack of people that enjoy football in the US also has much to do with the fact that the US only faces high profile competitions every 4 years. If the S. American quals would unite with the rest of the continent, you would have the US playing top nations like Brasil or Argentina often, and that IMO would increase the pubics' interest in the game. Right now you have the US playing most of the time 3rd level sqauds, except Mexico, so it becomes boring to see that you always qualify for the WC but then when the real competition begins usually never pass the first round. I would unify the whole continent, and I'm sure the US would not only have more fans, but also increase their skills as a real football team. the US, as a country, has the potential of being the best foorball team in the world if they would really put their mind into it. Just my opinion

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 20):
So are the refs blind?

No they're not, but believe me, refereeing is harder when ON the field than when you're judging a situation from what you've just seen TV. The same thing can be said about the offsides. Sometimes depending on the angle of where the referee is standing, it can be almost impossible to tell if the player went in for a dive or not.

GDB

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:06 am

Face it NYC777, the numbers watching, who play either for fun or as a profession, the diversity of the nations of those taking part, are not on your side.

The UK Premier League, or pre 1993, League Division one, never called itself a 'World Series' or 'World League'.

Never mind Football, (our game, our name thankyou), what about Cricket.
The numbers playing and watching that well exceeds American Football, India alone sees to that.

PSA53

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:07 am

1) Lack of Excitement

I find the Spanish announcers much more exciting.If a goal
is made,they spend half hour announcing the fact.

GOAL!GOAL! GOAL! Go--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
al!Goal!

And by the time their done,the game is over. I like to throw a red
card at them and suspend them for three games!
:D
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

SuperDan

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:07 am

Lack of Excitement

Pussies and Prima Donnas

I second that .

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 9):
You should watch some rugby

Yeah, now that's a sport, and you don't see the players crying after being tackled by 120kg's of muscle.

LTU932

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:18 am

Well, I Gave Soccer A Chance

Soccer, what's that?

Signed,
99.9% of all citizens of Planet Earth

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 17):
Take them out for 10 minutes, or something like that.

You don't expect a Powerplay like in Hockey will make things better in football, do you? If someone doesn't want to play clean, he has to pay the price and has to be either warned or ejected.

We should change the MLS, not the enire world's rules.

The MLS isn't even a big factor in World Football.

It's too bad the name soccer came from the UK.

It doesn't matter, the rest of the World, the UK included, still calls it Football.

That's because there's little contact, and when there is, everyone is rolling around and bitching to each other, and getting kicked out.

Football is more about technique and strategy, not as much on physical contact. People have to be fit of course, but that doesn't mean they must be brutal all the time. You should watch some older World Cup games to get a better picture of Football. And if you want a very physical match, try to watch the semifinal between Italy and Germany from the 1970 World Cup. Franz Beckenbauer got his shoulder dislocated during the game, yet he continued to play until the end.

Granted, today it's lots of pussies and primadonnas who are playing in this game, but you have to blame this on one thing, that is also responsible for the downfall of American Sports: Greed. Football is no different from Basketball, Hockey or American Football when it comes to greedy players, who slack off to protect themselves from injury when a club is interested in hiring them. That's why I only watch Football when it's a major competition like the World Cup or a Euro Championship, exception being the German Bundesliga.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

WellHung

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 am

Seems like soccer player isn't that much different than soccer fan...

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 1):

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 3):
Yeah that is what is needed...It is only the WORLDS most popular sport and the most watched television event...as it is....so yeah it really needs to change.......It really needs to change..
GS sarcastic

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):

Then he's got some odd looking hands...

There is a lot of diving and it would be better if the refs gave fouls or cards for dives,

Duff44

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 am

1) Lack of Excitement

Can't agree more.... Like watching a title fight with only occasional punching. The strategy of it is very boring... too much 'going backward' for my taste. Isn't the idea to try and score, instead of "protect the tie because it doesn't kill us anyway"?

In sports, that translates into lots of scoring, short periods with lots of breaks, with lots of 'sideline entertainment'. Football has none of those

You said it, I didn't.  bigthumbsup 

For eveyone that likes it, you can have it. I'm quite happy being in the minority on this one.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 27):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_(football)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1791137,00.html

Q330

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:54 am

It's not worth arguing with these guys. When you start getting replies consisting entirely of idiotic pictures, you have to realize you're just beating your heads against a brick wall.

If they despise football, just look at it as their own loss. Let them keep their thrilling commercial breaks and 'tough' guys smashing head-first into each other...

-Q
Long live the A330!

planesarecool

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:07 am

That the best you got?

Then he's got some odd looking hands...

The use of gloves is more for grip than protection.

But the mere fact is that you DO get a yellow card if you're caught diving, so i don't know how what he was saying is bullshit

Want to cry about it some more?

Coming from the person who started the thread to moan about football? The only crying that is being done is by you lot.

Scorpio

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:07 am

Seems like soccer player isn't that much different than soccer fan...

Wow, that was a worthwhile post...  Yeah sure

As Falcon has said over and over in other threads, I go to sports events to be entertained and excited.

Everybody goes to sports events to be entertained. But what YOU consider entertainment might very well be different from what OTHERS consider entertainment. You, again, seem to equal scoring to excitement, others do not. In that case, football isn't your game, nor does it intend to be.

[Edited 2006-06-18 21:07:32]

Falcon84

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:15 am

All it says is that the average American likes a different type of port, that's all. We like the games of American football, basketball and baseball better, that's all. Baseball was the original American sport, although it's lost much of it's luster over the years. American football is now THE SPORT in the U.S. Americans like the way the game is played. It can be brutal and beautiful at the same time. And despite the contempt of our European friends, it is a tough, tough sport.

The rest of the world can have it's game. What's wrong with that? And what's worng with the U.S. enjoying what it enjoys. Sorry, rest of the world, but Soccer is not our passion. If it's yours, fine. But it's not ours.

The one sport I can't figure not catching on more in the States is hockey. It's fast-paced, there are lots of scoring chances, and it's a fun game to watch. I've come to like hockey over the years, though don't get to watch it much.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 26):

Soccer, what's that?

Signed,
99.9% of all citizens of Planet Earth

We don't give a shit.

Signed,
The USA

The MLS isn't even a big factor in World Football.

It's even less in the US, which is why they should change it.

It doesn't matter, the rest of the World, the UK included, still calls it Football.

We don't give a shit. Need another reminder?

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 31):

Coming from the person who started the thread to moan about football? The only crying that is being done is by you lot.

I would be moaning if soccer was popular here in the states, and I didn't like it. The fact is, most people here don't like it, and I'm just expressing those sentiments. All the Euros here seem to get sand in their vaginas anytime anyone calls it soccer, or calls it not exciting. Quite fun to watch actually.

Harry

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:55 am

Classic...

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Aeroflot777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:59 am

Bottom line is......if you don't like it, don't watch it. Half the people on this planet like football and they watch it. Americans like baseball and American football..great for them, keep watching it. People watch what they like to watch. it's not that complicated. Just don't go around and tell everyone about your personal preferences. that's my opinion.

Aeroflot777

Sabena332

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 35):
Classic...

Definitely, that is one of my favourite Simpsons episodes.

Didn't Barney cause a punchfest later because someone stole his beer or so?

Patrick

Edited for typo.

[Edited 2006-06-18 22:02:07]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Boeing4ever

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:14 am

And I'm not impressed. I went into the WC with an open mind about the sport, hoping to get something out of it, and in the end it just confirmed why I, and most Americans, don't watch it.

Well I'm not surprised then...when most people go into the WC, they do so with trousers open hoping to get rid of something. Dunno when it was ever considered a sport, much less a spectator sport, but it's good to know most Americans don't watch such activities because I have a shy bladder! 

One thing is for certain...if I catch you watching me while I'm in the WC, I'll knock your teeth out! Damn perverts!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 37):
Didn't Barney cause a punchfest later because someone stole his beer or so?

I believe Skinner tried to leave, Moe said "Not before me you're not!", some shoving ensued, causing Barney's beer to be spilled, so he got into a tussle...

weak stuff tho...so Willie (the Scotsman) and some Hooligan friends decided to take 'em all to school and a good ole fashioned soccer riot ensued...one of my personal favorite aspects of the game.  

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  

[Edited 2006-06-18 22:23:08]

GDB

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:23 am

Or maybe part of the reason, for some, is that the US has not historically been a major player in this sport.
Which has been changing of late.

But still not likely to win or dominate, so in the minds of some, if the US is not a dominant force in something, it's null and void.
You see/hear a lot of that increasingly, across the board, way beyond football or sport in general, from some.

If in 10, 15, 20 years from now, the US team makes the finals, you'll see a lot of Football phobic Americans suddenly being very interested and chanting U-S-A.

LTU932

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 36):
Bottom line is......if you don't like it, don't watch it. Half the people on this planet like football and they watch it. Americans like baseball and American football..great for them, keep watching it. People watch what they like to watch. it's not that complicated. Just don't go around and tell everyone about your personal preferences. that's my opinion.

checkmark 
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

SDLSimme

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 34):
It's even less in the US, which is why they should change it.

Would it still be football if they changed it? I would feel bad for the players in the MLS who play with some rules in their club teams but completely different internationally.

I think that the rules should stay the same. Even if it's less "exciting", it's football and those who enjoy it will watch it. Those who don't will not. Everything can't be big everywhere.

Although I must say that it's interesting that the sports that are big in the US aren't very big in the rest of the world and the sport that is THE sport in many parts of the world isn't very popular in the US. Maybe another sign of the US "doing it the American way"?  duck 
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

planesarecool

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
The rest of the world can have it's game. What's wrong with that? And what's worng with the U.S. enjoying what it enjoys. Sorry, rest of the world, but Soccer is not our passion. If it's yours, fine. But it's not ours.

I have no problem with that at all, and i do in fact enjoy baseball, basketball and to an extent, ice hockey. However its when people moan continuously about it, and then when people disagree or say that what somebody says is wrong, the make posts like the one in post 27, or insist that they are correct and that football is crap, which it clearly isn't as over half the world seems to like it

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:28 am

Take them out for 10 minutes, or something like that.

You don't expect a Powerplay like in Hockey will make things better in football, do you?

Why wouldn't it? Yes, billions of people love it as is - that's great. I just think a minor tweak like a hockey-style powerplay or 60 second shot-clock might help quicken the pace, add a new dimension to the sport and make it more entertaining, that's all.

And if you don't like the suggestion, oh well. It's merely a suggestion, and not an attack on your beloved sport.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mdsh00

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Q330 (Reply 30):
It's not worth arguing with these guys. When you start getting replies consisting entirely of idiotic pictures, you have to realize you're just beating your heads against a brick wall.

Well when people give pretentious remarks like trying to correct our way of calling it "Soccer" and criticizing American Football without knowing a single thing about it, you do come off looking like crybabies.

Point is that Newark777 did watch the games and understood the rules and still didn't like some parts of it. At least he isn't passing judgement like so many Europeans do about American Football. Believe it or not there is a lot of strategy and reason for padding in American Football and unless you've immersed yourself in that, you won't understand it.

So really in the end no one sport is better than the other. Americans dont HAVE to like Soccer and you guys don't HAVE to like our Football.

We call it soccer too!

Signed,
Canada and Australia

SDLSimme

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 43):
Why wouldn't it? Yes, billions of people love it as is - that's great. I just think a minor tweak like a hockey-style powerplay or 60 second shot-clock might help quicken the pace, add a new dimension to the sport and make it more entertaining, that's all.

And if you don't like the suggestion, oh well. It's merely a suggestion, and not an attack on your beloved sport.

The thing with football that many people enjoy is the "building up" part of the game. I can see how your suggestions would make the sport more fast paced, but for many people this is not the point with football. I don't see your suggestion as an attack on the sport, but in my eyes there are so many sports that are fast-paced and "exciting". It's nice to have a sport that is a little slower, but a little more graceful  Smile
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

jutes85

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 36):

checkmark 

Also, don't go proposing new idiotic rules to fit the 3 percent or so of the worlds population. Football is like chess and it takes time to move your pieces and go for the jugular. Americans don't seem to like sports that involve strategy and thinking. You want fast paced and constant action that any idiot can like, don't watch football and don't whine and complain to the rest of the 97 percent of the people on this planet that it is boring.
nothing

mdsh00

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 39):
But still not likely to win or dominate, so in the minds of some, if the US is not a dominant force in something, it's null and void.
You see/hear a lot of that increasingly, across the board, way beyond football or sport in general, from some.

The US isn't dominant in sports like Tennis and Golf but they are still popular here (more than Soccer in my opinion).

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 46):
Americans don't seem to like sports that involve strategy and thinking.

So there is no strategy in clock management in Football (NFL) and calling plays? No strategies in Basketball either? Why even have a coach?

It's really fine if one group doesn't like Soccer/American football but what irks me are some people on this board drawing conclusions as if American sports fans are Neanderthals that demand constant action and no thinking at all whatsoever. We all know that's far fro the truth. Soccer is really popular...for little kids and women in this country. It's just not popular in the professional mens area (but we know it's changing). What I don't understand is why people can't just agree to disagree.

A point: During world cup '94, people over the world thought it was going to be a disaster, but in fact we saw that it was pretty successful.

LTU932

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 43):

I'm not taking it as an attack.  Smile However, I don't see your suggestions ever happening.

Take for example the Sudden Death goal in Hockey. It was introduced into Football as the "Golden Goal" (they didn't like the term "Sudden Death"). Euro 96 was supposed to be the first big trial of this new rule, but it became a huge failure. The only Golden Goal of Euro 96 was shot by Oliver Bierhoff in the final match between Germany and the Czech Republic and with it we won the championship of that year. It continued on through the World Cup 98 and Euro 2000, but there was far too much controversy involved in it.

Later the Golden Goal rule was replaced by the Silver Goal rule, which means for example that if somebody shoots a goal to give his team the lead in the first half of Extra Time and keeps that lead until the end of the first half, the game is over. However even that rule got abolished and now we're back to the classic rule of Extra Time: when somebody has the lead in Extra Time, he can only win when the full 30 minutes of Extra Time are over, otherwise the game goes into Penalty Shootout.

Besides, the knock-out rounds are the most exiting ones anyway. Hockey and Basketball always have some kind of series during the playoffs (be it a Best of 5 or Best of 7), but in Football, it's like in the NFL: you lose e.g. a quaterfinal match and it's all over.

jutes85

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 47):
It's really fine if one group doesn't like Soccer/American football but what irks me are some people on this board drawing conclusions as if American sports fans are Neanderthals that demand constant action and no thinking at all whatsoever.

You are the only ones that watch NASCAR.  yawn 

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 47):
Soccer is really popular...for little kids and women in this country.

Please leave it at that. Football does not need American support.
nothing