StarAC17

RE: Well, I Gave Soccer A Chance

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 102):
Erm, there is the possibility of a tie in American Football.

Yeah, but there is hardly ever one, one overtime period gets a tie in regulation broken 99% of the time. I don't like the NFL's overtime concept but that is a whole other argument.

I also hate shootouts in hockey and soccer as well as they are as random as a coin toss.

Quoting Continental (Reply 105):
Partially true. Remember the All-Star game back in 2002 that ended in a 7-7 tie?

Wasn't that because Bug Selig called the game. There is never a tie in any other situation.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

halls120

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 108):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 106):
Real games that have an impact on who goes to the playoffs and WS cannot end in a tie.

True. But, it does determine home field advantage in the WS. So, the game is not entirely pointless.

OK - one time, the idiot current baseball commissioner stopped the all star game in a tie, which had a one time impact on one world series.

So how does that even come close to the effect that EVERY soccer referee has at EVERY soccer game with regard to putting one team at a disadvantage to the other?

And why is it apparently so offensive that some soccer fans are so bothered by the fact that some of us around the world aren't fans? For those people who think soccer is the "beautiful game," more power to you. I'm not being dismissive or disrespectful - you like soccer. I don't. But the difference is, I don't write posts questioning the motives of people who don't like American football, baseball, or basketball.

Since when has it become mandatory that we all like the same thing?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

rolfen

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Newark777 (Thread starter):
1) Lack of Excitement I can't tell you how many times it happened, one of the players broke away towards goal, only to have the ref call an off-sides. Is this rule specifically designed to prevent scoring?

One of the nice things in "soccer" is the buildup. If you cancel this rule you'll loose that and get something that is much closer to basketball, where the ball crosses one end of the field to the other in a matter of seconds.

2) Pussies and Prima Donnas I hear everyone telling us how tough these players are, how much abuse they have to take. But every time someone touches their shinguards, they seem to take dives, start crying and screaming, and making ridiculous faces at the ref. Either they are pussies that are always getting hurt, or actors just trying to get a call. Either way, it sucks.

Yes they are actors, and it hardly sucks as much as WWF wrestling.
 rotfl 
That's sport, you try to make the most that you can, and that includes trying to fool the ref.
And they are though, you see injuries all the time and I'd like to see how much of this you could take yourself before busing a ligament.

We want to see the players play the game, not the refs.

Well you got a point, the refs are getting too way too much attention lately.
rolf

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 111):

One of the nice things in "soccer" is the buildup. If you cancel this rule you'll loose that and get something that is much closer to basketball, where the ball crosses one end of the field to the other in a matter of seconds.

You don't think football has buildup? Have you actually ever watched it, besides something like Sportscenter?

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 111):

Yes they are actors, and it hardly sucks as much as WWF wrestling.
rotfl
That's sport, you try to make the most that you can, and that includes trying to fool the ref.
And they are though, you see injuries all the time and I'd like to see how much of this you could take yourself before busing a ligament.

I HATE the WWF. It is the worst of the worst, the rednecks of the US coming out to support a bunch of washed up never-beens acting out in a ring. Complete waste of time.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

WellHung

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:10 pm

Wow, soccer fan really has his panties in a riot here... I see a lot of crying about American sports (and the names of their championships) and very little to actually defend the virtues of soccer other than 'it must be great because it's so widespread'. Yeah, well McDonalds is widespread and it's shit.

The only reason soccer became so big worldwide is because it was one of the few major sports where the rest of the world could play and not worry about the US kicking their ass.  yes   sarcastic 

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 110):
True. But, it does determine home field advantage in the WS. So, the game is not entirely pointless.

OK - one time, the idiot current baseball commissioner stopped the all star game in a tie, which had a one time impact on one world series.

In 2002 the all-star game didn't determine home field advantage. It was because of the tie that they instituted that rule - so there would at least be some incentive to win the game.

[Edited 2006-06-19 05:13:40]

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 113):
The only reason soccer became so big worldwide is because it was one of the few major sports where the rest of the world could play and not worry about the US kicking their ass.

yeah, that's exactly why, no other reason.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

columba

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:02 pm

I suggest we organise an A.Net Cup so that some of the American users can see for themself how much fun it is too play soccer, get to know the rules better etc.
After that the Americans can organise an A.Net American football or baseball tournament so that the others can make their mind about these sports.
Sport is always more fun to watch if you have ever played the game your self.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Scorpio

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:19 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 64):
What - because most Americans don't like soccer, we're somehow less human than the rest of the world?

Yeah, because that's what I said, right, that you're 'less human'  Yeah sure Gimme a break man! When football is the most popular sport around the world except in the US, that surely says something about what Americans expect about sports, and not about the sport itself. Those expectations are different. I never suggested or hinted at you being inferior. Stop feeling offended so damn easily!

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 64):
We prefer sports that have scoring, defined rules, and finite time periods - no mystery "injury" time. Why does the fact that we don't prefer the sport the rest of the world does seem to irritate you? No one I know is calling for the rest of the world to follow our sports, are they?

Something you don't seem to get: An American came on here with the specific goal of moaning about how much football sucks. 'Irritated' if you will, that the rest of the world loves this sport.

mdsh00

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 116):
Yeah, because that's what I said, right, that you're 'less human' Gimme a break man! When football is the most popular sport around the world except in the US, that surely says something about what Americans expect about sports, and not about the sport itself. Those expectations are different. I never suggested or hinted at you being inferior. Stop feeling offended so damn easily!

Maybe not in those words but there have been a number of posts here by Europeans trying to explain that Americans don't like it because we have some kind of need for sports that provide instant gratification and scoring and lack of thought. It's very implicitly implied by a number of posters, and it gets to American posters because most of those "theories" are far from the truth. As you know by now, soccer has a much different "image" in the US than other sports here. Having to compete with football (both College and NFL), basketball (again both College and NBA), Baseball, and even Hockey, makes it an uphill battle for soccer to gain popularity.

aaden

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:11 pm

2) Pussies and Prima Donnas I hear everyone telling us how tough these players are, how much abuse they have to take. But every time someone touches their shinguards, they seem to take dives, start crying and screaming, and making ridiculous faces at the ref. Either they are pussies that are always getting hurt, or actors just trying to get a call. Either way, it sucks.

I would love to see you play the game.
It's one of the hardest sprots in the world to play

sovietjet

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Let's not forget that the advertising opportunities in football is only during halftime. American football, basketball, baseball have tons of breaks which end up being ads. In the American economy and media where evreything relates to money and ratings what do you expect to be marketed most to the brainwashed American public?

SDLSimme

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:13 pm

And why is it apparently so offensive that some soccer fans are so bothered by the fact that some of us around the world aren't fans? For those people who think soccer is the "beautiful game," more power to you. I'm not being dismissive or disrespectful - you like soccer. I don't. But the difference is, I don't write posts questioning the motives of people who don't like American football, baseball, or basketball.

I think that the root of the problem is that the original poster started a thread just to bash football, calling the players "pussies and prima donnas". In the end of the post, he writes

Yes, I'm sure I'll hear everyone complain that "that's the way the game is played," blah,blah,blah, but the fact is, most Americans just don't and won't care about the game the way it currently is.

I think a lot of the reactions are based on the fact that it seems like he think that the best thing for the sport football was if the American public liked it. I agree that some of the reactions have been a bit harsh and unfriendly, but I must say that he kind of put himself in that situation starting a thread just to bash the most popular sport on earth.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

rolfen

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting COLUMBA (Reply 115):
Sport is always more fun to watch if you have ever played the game your self.

Very true, and if not playing it, at least seing it in real (not through tv) helps too.
rolf

halls120

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 113):

In 2002 the all-star game didn't determine home field advantage. It was because of the tie that they instituted that rule - so there would at least be some incentive to win the game.

oops. You are of course correct.  embarrassed 

When football is the most popular sport around the world except in the US, that surely says something about what Americans expect about sports, and not about the sport itself. Those expectations are different. I never suggested or hinted at you being inferior.

I'm sorry I misunderstood your remark. But I remain curious - what does it mean about Americans because most of us don't care for soccer?

Something you don't seem to get: An American came on here with the specific goal of moaning about how much football sucks. 'Irritated' if you will, that the rest of the world loves this sport.

What I "get" is that instead of the soccer supporters ignoring the one American who posted his dislike of the game, many of you couldn't resist rising to the bait, and have proceeded to defend/justify your love for the sport.

I admire the fact that you love your favorite sport. I don't understand why many of you can't seem to accept that there are some people who aren't fans of the soccer.

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 120):
I think that the root of the problem is that the original poster started a thread just to bash football, calling the players "pussies and prima donnas".

which was a stupid remark. I've played soccer, and I know just how damn hard it is to run for 90 minutes - with no time outs for commercial messages....

Professional soccer players also know how to party. I was staying at the Grosvenor House in London several years ago, and a football awards event was being held at the hotel. Quite a bit of "extracurricular" activity was going on in the hotel afterwards.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ORFflyer

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 39):
Or maybe part of the reason, for some, is that the US has not historically been a major player in this sport.
Which has been changing of late.

But still not likely to win or dominate, so in the minds of some, if the US is not a dominant force in something, it's null and void.
You see/hear a lot of that increasingly, across the board, way beyond football or sport in general, from some.

If in 10, 15, 20 years from now, the US team makes the finals, you'll see a lot of Football phobic Americans suddenly being very interested and chanting U-S-A.

Best post I've read here, along with Nancy's.

Quoting Nancy (Reply 10):
You have to understand the rules and the strategies in soccer for it to be exciting. If you don't it just looks like a bunch of people running around on a field. That being said, American rules football and baseball hardly give things to people in "bite size pieces". Both can be very slow moving at times and American rules football has some really complicated rules and I'm sure that's extremely boring (Why are the just standing there?!) if you don't understand it.

I've stayed out of the WC threads because of the obvious US bashing that they would/have created, but had to chime in here. I'm a big soccer fan, played it in high school, and in adult leagues for a while afterwards. Anyone who says it isn't entertaining is nut's. This is of course MY opinion, and bash me if you want, we ALL are allowed our opinions. I think the refereeing sucked in the US/Italy game, I think Brasil is going to win, and I think their subs would finish in the quarter-finals. (read somewhere they're subs are probably the second best team in the world...  

Harry, changing the rules to suit your druthers would only accomplish just that, your druthers. The game is not the world's most popular sport for nothing. A scoreless ties can be WAAAAAY more exciting than a pitchers dual in baseball, or a 7-3 finish in football. (I'm also a huge baseball/football fan fan)

In the Word Cup, I'm pulling for the USA, but am also realistic, we're relatively new to being competitive in this sport, but as GDB has stated, as soon as we start competing regularly, and winning on a world stage, more American soccer fans will emerge faster than a Red Sox band-wagon fan from two years ago!!

Let the bashing begin.   

[Edited 2006-06-19 15:22:03]

KROC

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 123):
A scoreless ties can be WAAAAAY more exciting than a pitchers dual in baseball, or a 7-3 finish in football.

Sellout. At least in a boring 1-0 pitchers dual - There is an outcome.  Wink

Newark777
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting AAden (Reply 118):

I would love to see you play the game.
It's one of the hardest sprots in the world to play

The three sports I have played competitively are wrestling, football, and rugby, and I can assure you they are all tougher to play than soccer.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 123):

Harry, changing the rules to suit your druthers would only accomplish just that, your druthers. The game is not the world's most popular sport for nothing. A scoreless ties can be WAAAAAY more exciting than a pitchers dual in baseball, or a 7-3 finish in football. (I'm also a huge baseball/football fan fan)

Honestly, I don't care if the rules are changed. I really don't, and I probably won't watch soccer either way. The fact is, though, that soccer never will be a mainstream sport the way it stands now. And a tournament every four years is not going to create real change in the US sports scene, no matter how hard some of you want it.

Harry

ORFflyer

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 123):
Sellout. At least in a boring 1-0 pitchers dual - There is an outcome.

A tie in soccer IS an outcome. Ties play a big part of soccer, especially in the WC. Look at Nancy's post, and her comment about understanding the rules and strategies. It's not a sellout, I love a pitcher's dual for the same reasons - strategies. Besides, it's still harder to hit a 95mph fastball than it is to "bend it like Beckham"  Wink

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 124):
and I probably won't watch soccer either way

That's fine, and I should have mentioned it in my first post, at least you gave it a chance, that's more than most of us Americans.  Wink After that, since you still don't like it, that's fine too!

SDLSimme

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:42 pm

The three sports I have played competitively are wrestling, football, and rugby, and I can assure you they are all tougher to play than soccer.

How would you know if you haven't played soccer competitively? I played soccer for one year, thinking it wouldn't be that hard, but I can assure you it was one of the most physical demanding things I have ever done. Soccer players aren't usually huge like football players are, but they are very very well trained.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

ORFflyer

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 126):
but they are very very well trained.

They have to be. A typical forward or mid-fielder runs 5+ miles in a game.

Continental

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:56 pm

and I can assure you they are all tougher to play than soccer.

Yeah you never did play soccer competitively. It's a lot harder than you think. I played football in high school (went to the state tournament 2 times), and I remember soccer being a more physically demanding sport. You get more knicks and bruises in football, but after a while, you don't even notice them. Sure there are sprints in football and quick action, but in soccer there are also sprints in addition to running the entire time.

columba

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Quote:

USA FANS FLOOD GERMANY

Who Says Americans Don't Like Football?

By Andreas Tzortzis in Kaiserslautern

The entire soccer world dismisses the Americans as knowing nothing about the Beautiful Game. But USA fans have flooded Germany in record numbers for this year's World Cup. And have made huge sacrifices to do so.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,422072,00.html
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

halls120

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 125):
A tie in soccer IS an outcome.

Yes, it is an outcome. An extremely boring outcome, but it is an outcome.

But I have been watching the world cup, and appreciate the higher level of play. Every time I try and watch MLS, I recall sitting in a pub in London, watching premier football, and just can't bear to watch the weak American version.

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 128):

Yeah you never did play soccer competitively. It's a lot harder than you think. I played football in high school (went to the state tournament 2 times), and I remember soccer being a more physically demanding sport. You get more knicks and bruises in football, but after a while, you don't even notice them. Sure there are sprints in football and quick action, but in soccer there are also sprints in addition to running the entire time.

For running and conditioning, soccer is a lot tougher. But I just can't see how it is rougher than football or rugby. Just isn't true.

Harry

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 122):
as soon as we start competing regularly, and winning on a world stage, more American soccer fans will emerge faster than a Red Sox band-wagon fan from two years ago!!

Start calling new fans badwagons, and soccer will NEVER be popular here.

Harry

sebolino

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:20 am

Yes, I'm sure I'll hear everyone complain that "that's the way the game is played," blah,blah,blah, but the fact is, most Americans just don't and won't care about the game the way it currently is.

Yeah, and everybody is so interested about what Americans like.

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 133):
Yeah, and everybody is so interested about what Americans like.

Uh oh, it's that time of the month.  rotfl 

Harry

Scorpio

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 121):
what does it mean about Americans because most of us don't care for soccer?

I think you yourself worded it best when you said: "We prefer sports that have scoring, defined rules, and finite time periods." Americans society seems more geared than any other towards the clear-cut, defined and ready to serve. It's only natural for that to show in your favorite sports.

I admire the fact that you love your favorite sport.

You'd be surprised to know that I don't even like football that much. Why react to this thread then, you ask? Well, because I hate it when people go around boards moaning and griping about something, especiallywhen it's done the way it was done by this thread starter, i.e. in a very condescending and arrogant way.

I don't understand why many of you can't seem to accept that there are some people who aren't fans of the soccer.

I don't think there's anyone here who can't accept that. We all have sports, or other things, that we don't like. But that doesn't mean we go around bitching about it to everyone (especially with the threadstarter's attitude), we just don't watch them.

If you don't understand what I mean with his condescending and arrogant tone, look at this:

... without ever having played it competitively, and thus having no way to really know. Arrogance personified.

If you look through the thread, you'll notice that many of the more irritated responses deal more with this than with him not liking football.

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 135):
Arrogance personified.

Ignorant, maybe. Arrogant, nope. And I find it flattering that you would go so far out of your way to vilify me in this thread. I didn't know you cared so much.  Smile

Harry

AirWillie6475

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:15 am

And I'm not impressed. I went into the WC with an open mind about the sport, hoping to get something out of it, and in the end it just confirmed why I, and most Americans, don't watch it.

1) Lack of Excitement I can't tell you how many times it happened, one of the players broke away towards goal, only to have the ref call an off-sides. Is this rule specifically designed to prevent scoring? SI had a great article about it in the last issue, how soccer needs something like the shot clock or the three point line, to bring some life back to the sport.

3) Referees The whole idea of redcards and yellowcards helping decide a game is a complete put-off to me. Why should I watch a whole match, when a ref is just going to give a red card, and make the team play a man down the rest of the game? And prevent that player from playing the next game? The ref's have WAY too much power, and no one likes to see games be effected that much by the games. We want to see the players play the game, not the refs.

Harry

The way the U.S game went against Italy, the game of soccer probably lost many many American fans, if not all. It just confirms why many do not like the sport. However, soccer is the sport of the world and it will continue to be. I for one believe that it is a beautiful sport, and it's not just about loosing or winning, I guess that is what Amercans refuse to believe and they dislike the fact that the game could end 0-0 at the end. In soccer even if you tie or score no points you don't necessarily loose. It's not a win or loose sport like other sports are, it has to do with how many points you received at the end. Kind of like racing, like F1 or Nascar.

BESIDES, it is only 90 minutes and it goes very fast. Have you sat through a 3 hour baseball game? Think of soccer as a mini WAR between two teams, it's a battle of who attacks and scores. It really is a beautiful sport and probably the best sport in the world. And it's the only sport in the world where people are MOVING and doing something that is why it is exciting to watch. You can argue about basketball but they don't play nonstop. Baseball? Forget about it they're too busy eating seads and baking in the sun. As far as what you say about the players looking weak and taking dives at the slightest touch, it is because they are acting and trying to sell it to the referees, it's encouraged to do this because you're team gets the BALL! Kind of like basketball players and their fouls. European players tend to do this more, not so much other parts of the world.

[Edited 2006-06-19 18:20:08]

GDB

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 am

Mdsh, I don't know, the US seems to have a fairly constant line of successful Golf and Tennis players.

mdsh00

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 138):
Mdsh, I don't know, the US seems to have a fairly constant line of successful Golf and Tennis players.

True, but we are not an always dominant (or expected to be dominant force) like basketball for instance. True, Golf has Tiger Woods and Lefty (even though he choked yesterday), but then you have Vijay Singh, Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia, etc. And in Mens Tennis, I think after Sampras left, we haven't been dominant, yet Roger Federer is pretty well known and liked in the US.

Soccer just needs its spark to catch on in the professional level here. The MLS just isn't great but it is growing every year and I think things will be a lot different in the coming years.

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 139):

Soccer just needs its spark to catch on in the professional level here. The MLS just isn't great but it is growing every year and I think things will be a lot different in the coming years.

That's what people have been saying for years, though.

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 137):
Think of soccer as a mini WAR between two teams, it's a battle of who attacks and scores.

I'd rather not.

Harry

planesarecool

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 112):
The only reason soccer became so big worldwide is because it was one of the few major sports where the rest of the world could play and not worry about the US kicking their ass.

Another useless post. Apart from the fact that football and cricket (among others) were invented before the US had even been discovered, so i think you'll find its the other way around.

How would you know? Afterall, you just stated yourself that you haven't played football competetively.

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 120):
at least seing it in real (not through tv) helps too.

Agreed - That's how i got into Baseball.

ORFflyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 132):
and soccer will NEVER be popular here

It's already very popular here. Just not near as much as in the rest of the world. Besides, hypothetically let's assume we win the cup, this year or 2010.
(everybody stop laughing, I said hypothetically)  Silly
Do you really think this board, and many others won't fill up with posts from Americans that claim to have loved soccer all their lives, and am glad to finally see us doing well.... I think your naive if you think otherwise. It's our damn nature to jump on the bandwagon.... that sucks, and I don't like it, but I believe the vast majority of us Americans are to politically correct to speak our minds for fear of reprocussions form the PC crowd, and this includes sports.

tbar220

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 am

Ahhh yes, we could solve world hunger, end disease as we know it, bring about an era of world peace...

And yet we will still have competitive sport to make us want to wring one another's collective necks. Big grin
NO URLS in signature

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 142):
It's already very popular here.

No, it's really not. Maybe in the 6-18 range, but that's it. It's just not a popular spectator sport here.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 142):

Do you really think this board, and many others won't fill up with posts from Americans that claim to have loved soccer all their lives, and am glad to finally see us doing well.... I think your naive if you think otherwise. It's our damn nature to jump on the bandwagon.... that sucks, and I don't like it, but I believe the vast majority of us Americans are to politically correct to speak our minds for fear of reprocussions form the PC crowd, and this includes sports.

Yes, it probably would. And that enthusiasm would last for maybe a month, and then the US would get back to their normal sports for the next four years. It probably wouldn't have much effect on the MLS, and if it did, it would probably be temporary.

Harry

GDB

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 am

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 49):
You are the only ones that watch NASCAR.

Actually, I know quite a few Canadians who enjoy NASCAR and would love for a race to come up there. While not a fan myself, even I know that it involves strategy - how to properly set up the car for the conditions of the racetrack, when to pit, what to do while pitting (how many new tires to take on, how much gas to take on, etc), when to pass another car, etc.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 101):
Plus in Hockey a regular season game can also end in a tie.

Incorrect, at least in the NHL. If a game is scoreless after a 5 minute 4-on-4 overtime period, the game goes into a shootout.

As an aside, I've had to delete a few posts. While healthy discussion is one thing, bashing of people based on nationality on ANY side will not be tolerated.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

EZEIZA

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 136):
It probably wouldn't have much effect on the MLS, and if it did, it would probably be temporary.

On the contrary. The US has the means (read $$) to have the best league in the world. It does not have it because of the lack of generl interest. Now, imagine the US wins in 2010, or reaches the final for example. That would for sure boost tv audiences and the number of fans attending every game. That means more sponsors and even more money. That would attract top players from abroad, therefore it would be a constant rise in the interest for the sport. Also it would encourage youth players, who already have a very good league to keep playing professionaly. In short, you would have a very interesting league with a lot of very good players, and believe me, no matter what has been said in this thread, the interest would grow onto the general public.

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

halls120

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 127):
If you look through the thread, you'll notice that many of the more irritated responses deal more with this than with him not liking football

Good points.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 134):

LOL, I'll state for the record right now that I will NOT be on that bandwagon. You aren't going to catch me acting like one of the many millions who claimed to have been at Woodstock by saying I've been a soccer fan all along.....

I'll also continue to maintain that until there is a first class professional soccer league in the US - that pays NFL/NBA/MLB type salaries - you won't get the most talented kids in the US to pursue a career in professional soccer.

solnabo

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:21 am

@ Garnetpalmetto:

"bashing people based on nationality will not be tolerated"

I guess you mean US vs Rest of the World of Football?

Wonder if I´ll be deleted for this sidenote...

Micke//SWE  Wink
Airbus SAS - Love them both

sovietjet

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 116):
that soccer never will be a mainstream sport the way it stands now.

It IS THE mainstream sport. The US does not define what is mainstream or not.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 122):
Yes, it is an outcome. An extremely boring outcome, but it is an outcome.

Think of it this way. If a really good team is playing an underdog(such as the Sweden vs Trinidad & Tobago) and that underdog ties the game or doesnt allow any goals....it is quite an accomplishment worth the respect of all fans. It doesnt always have to end up in a win or lose. Also, sports whether football, baseball, or whatever were not created to entertain. They became entertaining to watch but it's not like someone sat down a long time ago and said "let's make soccer entertaining".

mdsh00

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 142):

Obviously he meant mainstream in the US, not the world, which is very true. Chill out.

Newark777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 139):
It does not have it because of the lack of generl interest.

Exactly, which is what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the USA, as Mdsh said. Are you having trouble reading? And in the US, it is FAR from being anywhere near mainstream.

And even if we got the best talent in the world, I just don't see it being as popular as other US sports, at least for the next few decades. That's like saying the WNBA should be popular because they have the best women athletes.

Harry

Rj111

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:24 am

The probelm is most people who enjoy watching "soccer" have played it on some level in their lives. Whether that be down the park with their friends as kids or in a Sunday team up to professional level. Once you've played it you can appreciate some of the stuff you see, a good pass, good shot whatever and the whole thing becomes more enjoyable to watch. If you've never played it it may well look like 22 people sporadically kicking around a ball.

halls120

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:17 am

Also, sports whether football, baseball, or whatever were not created to entertain.

While entertainment may not have been the driving force behind the creation of sport, it is firmly in charge today. From the pros at all levels to amateur athletic programs in college, spectators are essential to sport to exist. Without the admission fees we spectators pay, without the television advertising, there would be no World Cup, no World Series, no Olympics.

They became entertaining to watch but it's not like someone sat down a long time ago and said "let's make soccer entertaining".

I agree. That's why you have so many 0-0 results in soccer.

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 145):
Once you've played it you can appreciate some of the stuff you see, a good pass, good shot whatever and the whole thing becomes more enjoyable to watch. If you've never played it it may well look like 22 people sporadically kicking around a ball.

I played intramural soccer in college. While participating in a 0-0 contest is exciting, watching it from the sidelines is a deadly bore. Just my two cents worth...

Scorpio

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 146):
I agree. That's why you have so many 0-0 results in soccer.

That's where you American mindset comes into play: there don't necessarily have to be goals for a football match to be entertaining. A game that ends in 0-0 can be just as spectacular and entertaining as one that ends in, say, 5-4. Entertainment in football is focused much more on the actions in the game, and not just the scoring.

Klaus

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 146):
While participating in a 0-0 contest is exciting, watching it from the sidelines is a deadly bore.

Only if it is actually a boring match. Which is possible, but not always the case, especially not on the higher levels.

At least in the WC, goals are a necessary indication of success, but they say relatively little about how interesting a match was.

Coming back to the topic of this thread: As an occasional watcher of football (generally just during the World Cup) I have no problem with americans' indifference to it, but seeing some of the reasons given I would still recommend a closer look...

MUWarriors

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 47):
What I don't understand is why people can't just agree to disagree.

Amen. I love soccer, and am in fact one of the few people in the U.S. who will watch a random MLS game over a random NFL game on Sundays in the fall (random meaning my favorite team is not involved). What I don't get is people from both sides not letting the other go. It never fails if I talking soccer friends who like soccer, a friend who hates soccer will inevitably discuss why it sucks so much. Same thing if someone says they hate soccer, soccer fans have to come up and try to defend the game like it's life or death (I have been guilty of this). Just remember to actually watch a match or game (depending on sport) before coming up with an opinion.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 97):
Football games at the pro level have sudden death overtime. College games can end in a tie, but that is college.

College football no longer has ties, while technically an NFL game can end up in a tie. The last tie NFL game was in 2002, I think.

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 69):
Same with basket ball, that was brought to you by the British also again as a girls game called Netball, except in both cases you changed the rules and tweaked the game a bit

Actually netball is a derivative of basketball. It was initially designed to be a version of basketball that women could play.