navymidn
Topic Author

Why Does Nascar Attract Hate?

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:02 am

It seems like everywhere I go, and on these forums, and even among my family, people seem to get their kicks by making fun of NASCAR, and the fans of said sport. In fact, I'll probably get flamed for calling it a sport. The fans, including me, have been stereotyped as being "neanderthals" and "beer guzzling rednecks" and other such descriptions. It gets tiresome for me, considering that I am a NASCAR fan, but I am a Prelaw student at a Big 10 university, and don't even look like the "redneck" stereotype. I am a bit of a redneck, having worked as a cowboy/ranch hand/equipment operator through highschool, but I don't think that defines why I am a fan.

Also, people describe NASCAR as being boring, and just cars going in circles. As I saw in the thread about soccer/football (where ever you are in the world, call it what you will), people seem to criticize different sports without truly understanding them. To a fan, NASCAR is anything but boring, because there is strategy, and skill involved, which I think can be noticed if you just take the time to watch a race with a open mind.

This isn't meant to offend anybody, and I hope it doesn't. This is just me ranting in a place I feel I can about something that drives me nuts.

And by the way, I also watch/follow IRL and Formula One racing.
Law is a major base of civilized society

Newark777

RE: Why Does Nascar Attract Hate?

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:10 am

First off, people make fun of the fans because a lot of them are from the south, and a lot of people seem to have a lot of pent up dislike for the south.

And a lot of people make fun of the sport itself because it is simply racing cars. Personally, I don't watch it except for the crash clips on Sportscenter, but I really don't really have anything against it.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CastleIsland

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:10 am

To me, it's just more boring than watching paint dry. As for why I bash it, it's partly due to my proclivity for being a bit of an a-hole at times, and partly because it's so popular. It just blows my mind that so many people could be entertained by something I see as drop-dead boring.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Cadet57

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 2):
As for why I bash it, it's partly due to my proclivity for being a bit of an a-hole at times,

at times?  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

dtwclipper

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Navymidn (Thread starter):
The fans, including me, are "neanderthals" and "beer guzzling rednecks

Could you give us scientific evidence that this is not the case?

To me, it's just more boring than watching paint dry.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Cadet57

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 4):

Im an 18 year old, non drinking Photography student about to be living in BOS who drives a chevrolet sedan and also enjoys film noir  Wink

Newark777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 5):
Im an 18 year old, non drinking Photography student about to be living in BOS who drives a chevrolet sedan and also enjoys film noir

Which is then cancelled out with the fact that you are an a.net member.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Cadet57

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 6):
Which is then cancelled out with the fact that you are an a.net member.

dammit. Knew it was too good to be true  Wink

navymidn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:25 am

The biggest evidence I have are at the moment is the group I watch the races with. We are: a Prelaw student, a Civil Engineering student, a Mechanical Engineering Technology student, a couple Aerospace Engineering students, an Agricultural and Biological Engineering student, and a couple other guys and girls who watch occasionaly.

However, I can't say you are all wrong about the stereotype, since I turned 21 I have been enjoying beer, although my taste runs more towards Corona, Stella, and Heiniken, than Budweiser and such.

To me, it's just more boring than watching paint dry.

Fair enough. I still claim if you knew more about it you might find different, but to each his own.

YoungFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:27 am

I love the sport to and i am not your typical NASCAR fan either. i am a 16 year old Jew from BOS. however, i do think that people have a point about NASCAR not being diverse enough (or diverse at all). All the drivers right now are white Christians (kinda like our presidents, jk). in addition, the fact that before every race a prayer to God and Jesus is said is at times a bit offensive to me. I love the sport and i love racing, but i do think NASCAR needs to work on its reputation and how to get rid of it.
Youngflyer
"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

dl021

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:35 am

As for why I bash it, it's partly due to my proclivity for being a bit of an a-hole at times,

"at times"???

The fans, including me, are "neanderthals" and "beer guzzling rednecks

OK...I'm a NASCAR fan....I also enjoy Formula 1. I actually think that, just like in college sports, there is a tendency for fans of one version of the sport to bash the others because it helps them reinforce the primacy of their own vision and perspective.

There are plenty of guys in F1 that would never get out of the infield in NASCAR and vice versa.

This entire thing is like baseball being criticized by cricket fans.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:35 am

Because - seriously - people are ignorant. Folks fail to see that NASCAR has progressed from the Fireball Roberts, Junior Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Sr and their broken down beat up REAL STOCK cars and moonshine running hillbillies on dirt tracks in the Southeast US to the fastest growing, largest audience sport in the Nation.

There's the answer plain and simple.

I've been to many races - and I've run in to all sorts of people in the crowd, from Airplane pilots to politicians to soldiers to lawyers . . . and yes, the standard issue teeth missing needs a shave and haircut wifebeater wearing Budweiser swilling hillbilly too.

NASCAR may be "just going in circles" but I dare anyone here - myself included - to sit in a hot car (140 degrees F) on a hot track (115 degrees F) at 180 mph (plus) for three/four/five hours while 42 other drivers compete to wipe your ass out. There's more to it that simply driving fast and turning left.

And the difference between going fast and turning left in an F1 or IRL series car and a NASCAR is what??? The difference between running a road course in California in a NASCAR as opposed to an F21 or IRL series car is what???

How 'bout NONE.

Nuf said. Soap box dismantled . . . for now.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ORFflyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:37 am

I am a bit of a redneck

Me too. And I think that's the biggest reason people bash NASCAR, because they associate it with rednecks, and feel that bashing NASCAR gets an "undercover" dig into people, not the sport.

Can you give us scientific evidence that it is? Second only behind the NFL in TV popularity. Almost every race is a sold-out event, most with over 100,000 in attendance.

it's just more boring than watching paint dry

Some would say the same thing about airplane spotting....  duck 

Now ya'll wait here, I have to go brush my tooth.

jamesbuk

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:41 am

I dont really like Nascar but LOVE F-1 for this reason, F1 cars go round on a track that has twist's turns and corners hard to navigate, nascar's cars go round a simple track that well isnt hard to navigate at all.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

NKP S2

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:43 am

I'm an inveterate motorhead with oil in my viens vestiges of grease seemingly ground permanently into my digits and I don't care for NASCAR. Oh I like it in the academic sense: High performance OHV large-bore V8's and manually shifted RWD cars, and I love to hear ther loud throaty snarl as they pass at high speed and all, and I know many fans do too. I just don't like the "sport" aspect of it, as in motorsports. I don't care about the drivers winning record, their history, who the crew cheif is or whether he "jumped the fence" ( whatever that means ) or any other of the celebrity worship bullshit minutia. I just can't stand it. I roll my eyes everytime some geek tries to talk tech by throwing mechanical terms around, parroted by them from the media....as if many of them knew what they hell they're talking about.

I'm not native to the south, but I've lived here for a decade and a half and like the area and a vast majority of the people. Yeah, some of the more "billy-bob" type fans are over the top, but it's just another standout group nobody forces me to hang around with. For every billy-bob down south, there's the confrontational "Tony from Brooklyn" type up north, or the vacuous So-Cal airhead dolt out west, or those smug materialistic yupsters that seem to infest everyplace with a population of more than 100K.

Actually, it would have better before it all went so corporate, and let sleeping dogs lie. But no, the corportate handlers have to try to move ever upscale by courting vile yuppies and stuffing their root fans into obscurity. They say ( and I'm paraphrasing ), "it's not a working class sport anymore...it's big money, our clientele is more upscale...now yuppies like it...hooray!!!" This only serves to completely turn me off. Ironic that the same thing that it's handlers tout as its new direction, is what repulses me even moreso.

Look, it's OK if you want to enjoy it ( rich/poor/philistine/scholar ) just do it without being snobs. It's supposed to be about racing.

navymidn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:45 am

Tony Stewart, ANC? Tony Stewart? I know you have better taste than that Big grin

But, I agree with the rest of your post.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 10):

"at times"???

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Cadet57

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Navymidn (Reply 15):
Tony Stewart, ANC? Tony Stewart? I

I know I thought he was smarter then that too  Wink

GO JR!

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:49 am

Tony Stewart, ANC? Tony Stewart? I know you have better taste than that

You know how us assholes like to stick together . . . just ask CastleIsland!  rotfl 

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
GO JR!

vomit 

wink 

jetflyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:53 am

Mir

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:54 am

Here's why I don't like NASCAR:

The races are too long. I understand that endurance is a major factor, but I simply cannot watch cars go around in circles for hours on end just to see how people tire. Nor can I watch them go around in circles for hours on end just to see how the strategies develop. If they had some shorter races, maybe I could watch it without having to dedicate an entire afternoon, which I'm not willing to do, because as far as I'm concerned, once I've seen a bunch of cars make a left 360 once, I've seen it a thousand times.

Also, the fans. I realize that it's a stereotype, but stereotypes don't just spring out of nowhere - they always have at least some grounding in reality. I've met NASCAR fans who were perfectly normal people, but I've also met a lot of them who really fit the redneck trailer-trash image.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

prosa

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:55 am

Success breeds contempt?
Some of the opposition to NASCAR might stem from the fact that it's pretty much pushed all other forms of auto racing right off the map. Until recently the Indianapolis 500 was the premier auto race in America, but now it's definitely playing "second fiddle" to NASCAR. F-1 and rallying are huge in other countries but each has only a small niche fan base in this country. Only drag racing seems to be holding its own in terms of popularity, but even it's very much a minor-league sport in comparison to NASCAR.
For the record, I have little or no interest in NASCAR, but I acknowledge that its management has done an absolutely masterful job of marketing the sport, up there on a level with the PGA and NFL.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

WellHung

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:02 am

Why Does Nascar Attract Hate?

Hate? No. Ridicule? Yes.

I'll probably get flamed for calling it a sport

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
sport

Quoting Youngflyer (Reply 9):
sport

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
sport

It's about as much of a sport as competitive eating. Whevever you take something that everyone does and make it 'extreme', it cannot be considered a sport. Walking is not a sport. Breathing is not a sport. You can play drinking 'games' or participate in keg 'olympics', but they are not sports. Nothing wrong with enjoying the event, but it ain't a sport. And just because it's on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. Poker is not a sport. And I'll even give soccer the benefit of the doubt and consider it a sport.  Wink

Greyhound

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 21):
Until recently the Indianapolis 500 was the premier auto race in America, but now it's definitely playing "second fiddle" to NASCAR

How true..... I watch NASCAR, but not that much. Still, even as little as I watch it (maybe a couple of times a year for maybe a few laps) I still like it, if not to the point of being a radical fan. I could name off multiple drivers for the Nextel Cup Series racing circuit, but I couldn't name even a quarter of the drivers in the Indy 500 this year.

I think part of the reason for NASCAR's popularity is the marketing.... honestly, how much advertisements for Formula 1 racing have you seen? I don't mean seeing something like the occasional endorsement by one of the more famous drivers, I mean all the advertising and merchandising that NASCAR has done to more or less put the sport out in front of you (whether you like it or not). Things like the Indy 500 are still popular, but how much so compared to the Daytona 500, or Talladega or another race like those?
29th, Let's Go!

srbmod

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 21):
Some of the opposition to NASCAR might stem from the fact that it's pretty much pushed all other forms of auto racing right off the map. Until recently the Indianapolis 500 was the premier auto race in America, but now it's definitely playing "second fiddle" to NASCAR.

Blame Tony George and his Indy Racing League for that. With the IRL and ChampCar going after the same folks, they split the fanbase for high-performance open wheel racing and with it split the ratings and revenue which lead to NASCAR's growth and dominance in the 1990s, which in turn relegated the Indy 500 to minor status (The Brickyard 400 has almost become a bigger event @ IMS than the Indy 500 [At the time of the first Brickyard 400, it was practically considered blasphemy that NASCAR was having a race there]).

Yes NASCAR is percieved as a "redneck" sport because of its' origins in Appalachia by guys who'd race their cars on the track on the weekends and outrace the police during the rest of the week hauling moonshine. Look at who the most hated driver in NASCAR is. People hate Jeff Gordon mainly because he doesn't fit the stereotypical image of the NASCAR driver, plus he speaks without an southern drawl. If he wasn't one of the top drivers in NASCAR, he'd probably be one of the top drivers in the IRL, ChampCar, or even F1 (There were rumors that one of the F1 teams tried to get him).

dragon-wings

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:16 am

The difference between running a road course in California in a NASCAR as opposed to an F21 or IRL series car is what???

Well for me watching a race on a road course (I am a fan of F1 and CART) is more exciting because the passing is more exciting on the road courses.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

bhmbaglock

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:51 am

Tony Stewart, ANC? Tony Stewart? I know you have better taste than that Big grin

Don't tweak him too hard on this, I made fun of Tony just last week and ANC can only take so much.  Smile

Personally, I do prefer racing with both left and right turns, preferably also with hills. Anybody else planning on hitting the Petit Lemans in ATL this year?
Where are all of my respected members going?

SlamClick

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:16 am

And the difference between going fast and turning left in an F1 or IRL series car and a NASCAR is what???

Well, for F1 the difference is infinite since F1 turns both left and right. They also race uphill, downhill, short and long radius turns, changing radius turns, and they race in the RAIN. That's right, those Eurowimps don't stop a race unless the spectators can't see the track anymore. When the sponsors can't see their name on the TV screen anymore someone stops the race. You cannot make any comparison whatever.

The difference between running a road course in California in a NASCAR as opposed to an F21 or IRL series car is what???

The difference is gigantic. Colossal!

F1 and IRL are open wheel, NASCAR has bodywork surrounding the wheels. If you get a couple of NASCAR cars together they 'swap paint' or they 'rub' but if you do that to open wheel racers one of them, maybe both are going to get airborne and possibly crash. The pieces that come off them might take out other cars.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

SlamClick

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:31 am

Even though I'm a lifelong F1 fan I don't 'hate' NASCAR. But I do have certain impressions of it that are not flattering.

I had a layover in a southern city the weekend of a big NASCAR race. A downtown street was blocked off and the cars were on 'static' display.

The first thing we noticed was the fans in town. Everyone was wearing a mullet. Everyone was wearing a team T-shirt with a montage of pictures (wonder what they'd have thought if I'd called it a montage?) of their favorite car and driver. White T-shirts with garish graphics. They also all wore really ugly nylon shorts and shower shoes.

When we got to the hotel they were everywhere. The crowd waiting for the elevator gawked at our flight attendants and one of them gushed: 'Swewwwwwardesses!' A family in the elevator could not figure out how to work it, so one of our 'stews' stepped in, asked them their room number and pushed the appropriate button for them.

I walked the street where the cars were displayed. I've never seen such a huge crowd of guys in mullets walking along with a 20 ounce beer in one hand and a chicken leg in the other.

After a while my wife called me on the cell phone. I asked where she was and she said 'a Starbucks in Marin County, where are you?' I told her I could not be farther from her if I was on another planet and I described the scene before me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no snob. Most days you can find me in jeans and boots, cutting brush or something, but this was stereotype city!

What I don't like about the sport itself is the phoniness. It is phony as pro wrestling. I'll explain that. Pro wrestlers really are athletes. You try those stunts and see if you don't agree! NASCAR drivers are fabuluous! Watch them thread their way through a half dozen spinning cars at speeds most of us will never see. They are very good indeed. But they call the cars "Luminas" and other makes, as if they were even remotely like a Lumina. They are welded up out of round steel tubing, with a fiberglas body shaped roughly like a 'lumina' and then they add stickers to look like headlights and so forth. Phony. Why not just make them look like what they are - purpose-built race cars?

And yes, the races are too long, rather like this post.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 27):

The questions were rhetorical Slammer . . . I certainly respect the open wheel drivers spinning around that track at over 200 mph, certainly they have gut . . . I'd say they have balls, but where would that leave Danica?  wink 

I was a big IRL fan in the mid-80s living in Kentucky (Ft. Knox). I managed three Indy 500s since IND is only 125 miles north. I also managed two LeMans races in France in the early 80s while stationed in Germany . . . I simply prefer NASCAR. Rather like preferring American Football to Rest of the World Football.

The difference is gigantic. Colossal!

Humongous even . .  wink  silly 

aaflt1871

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:47 am

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

With that siad, I am not a redneck but I love the sport
Where did everybody go?

Tom in NO

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 am

I didn't give a rip about NASCAR until I went to Embry-Riddle in the early 80's. My first race was the '82 Daytona 500 (won by Bobby Allison), I loved it ever since, and have been to races not only at Daytona, biut also at Riverside and Darlington.

Oh, and yes, I was a Darrell Waltrip fan when it wasn't cool.

And for those who bash the "left-turn only" circuit for not going on road courses, this Sunday's race is at Sonoma.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AM744

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 22):
And I'll even give soccer the benefit of the doubt and consider it a sport.

Baseball and cricket are waaaaaaaay more questionable.

EMBQA

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:40 am

Here's why I don't like NASCAR:

In the 70's and early 80's the cars were truely Chevy, Ford and Dodge. They looked like, and had many-many components actually from the manufacture. In many cases the team would actually take a production car and convert it to racing standards. Today the only thing that makes it a Ford, Chevy or Dodge is the patch on the drivers uniform. It's all about which team has the most money.. and has little to do with the car and driver talent. We do a lot of work with the Nascar teams flight departments and I have been told Nascar is actually concedering making all the cars the same with only the front bumper showing the manufactures look. Why don't we just call it what it is IROC...!!

[Edited 2006-06-20 03:42:43]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

martinairyyz

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:48 am

Nascar is a sport? hehehehe.....................

1. Only Americans like it, or have even heard of it... I hadn't known what it involved until about 3 months ago, I thought it was some company before that.

2. It is cars racing in a stupid circle for 500 laps!!!!!! What on earh is interesting about that? NOTHING! Mind you the waste of fuel and environmental destruction while some American commentator is screaming his head off for nothing, and the hundreds of people in the crowd that have hollow heads.

You might say that NASCAR is as close to a sport as planting trees is.....
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

lehpron

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 am

This isn't meant to offend anybody, and I hope it doesn't.

Oh it will offend, but you're only responsible for doing so if it was done intentionally, i.e to get a rise out of someone. Having said that, they cannot be the judge, as your are not responsible for their interpretation, unless of course - and pardon the redundancy - you did it on purpose.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap for how others respond and keep in mind that their reactions are not my responsibility unless they matter to me. I don't take sides and I'm not loyal to much, this objectivity and that I say things to have only one meaning (that which I meant not which they interpret) allows me to claim "not responsible for others". I feel as long as you have a stance on some issue, you will be responsible as it's likely you won't know much about the otherside. I know quite a bit, I don't turn my back just because I don't like/agree with it.

people seem to criticize different sports without truly understanding them

Sports, cultures, music, etc, it's called ignorance and it is not only supported, but accepted and even expected. It's a matter of convenience as they see understanding as taking too much of their time -- most people couldn't give a crap yet they feel obliged to offer their thoughts, though ignorant, and they act as if they cannot help it.

Bull, of course they can, it's just a cop-out to mimic others...  Yeah sure

What I find unfortunate is that literally no one is able to be objective, i.e. try to be as non-loyal to maintain as little bias as possible. Problem is to many see that as indecisive -- but making decisions are not the point. Why is this done?

Any intelligent creature will break up a complex problem into pieces first, then go through one-by-one to solve it -- until they either become lazy or realize that figuring it out is not their problem and/or not of near-term use to them. This is how stereotypes spawn, from the latter. The near-obcessive need to make a decision on something just to get it over with, i.e. you don't have to know everything, in fact you don't have to know anything, it is easy to be ignorant. People inherently have the ability to not see things beyond just them; the whole reason they are even alive is by doing things for themselves first, their needs. Caring about others and showing respect has it's place, but people draw lines in the sand and justify being rude, immoral, etc. as if not everything deserves their respect -- note the first person emphasis on "their".

I call it selfish behavior but it is not something to be ashamed about, I tell peopel not to deny it or even apologize for it, it is a natural trait of our kind, the living mortal. Having said that, it is not intelligent.

No one deserves to be made fun of, it is just really easy to do it [on accident thesedays], those that are aware and do so repeatedly to humor themselves or to impress others, IMO, can go to hell. God will let them get away with it.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ltbewr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:59 am

I have been a fan of NASCAR for much of my life. I was more of car nut years ago, but still have some 10w-30 in my vanes. Yes, NASCAR racing can be boring at times, but still to see the skill of drivers at 150-200+ MPH within inches of each other sometimes trading paint, the occasional accident (so long as they walk away) the endurance the drivers have to deal with and the risks they take - that is what keeps me watching.
Yes, NASCAR doesn't really involve a cross section of Americans (only 1 black, 1 hispanic, no women regularly involved in the top 3 levels of racing, Nextel Cup, Busch Series, Craftsman truck) on and off the track but that may be part of it's interest - because it is almost all white, southern/midwest/rural USA men. F-1 has no real active Americans. IRL and CART is mostly foreign drivers (perhaps one reason for Danica Patrick's fame is that she is an American). The cars are almost all 'American' made (although some foreign based companies make components - like brake systems - in their countries or in USA facilities). Of course, the entry of Toyota into the Nextel Cup (they have been in the Craftsman Trucks for several years) next year, will creat some changes.
As to hate, you rarely see the Confederate Flag flying anymore at race sites, or in reference to race names (it was quite frequent into the early 1990's). The only hate I see is people who probably don't like car racing anyway or root against someone like Jeff Gordon with a deep passion. As to the prayers, yes, that may offend some, but all of the drivers as far as I know are Christian in their faith upbringing, in the past some were even ministers. Also, if going racing, you want God and Jesus watching you too.

navymidn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting MartinairYYZ (Reply 34):
2. It is cars racing in a stupid circle for 500 laps!!!!!! What on earh is interesting about that? NOTHING! Mind you the waste of fuel and environmental destruction while some American commentator is screaming his head off for nothing, and the hundreds of people in the crowd that have hollow heads.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about. Because this fellow doesn't like it, he calls it stupid, and talks about a crowd full of hollow heads. Never mind that it isn't just cars going in circles, the tracks are of many different shapes, never mind that it isn't always 500 laps, in fact, it rarely is. I don't happen to like soccer, honestly, I barely even watch football. But I don't call it stupid, or say anything negative about the fans. Let them watch what they find enjoyable.

bhmbaglock

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:41 am

. They also race uphill, downhill, short and long radius turns, changing radius turns, and they race in the RAIN. That's right, those Eurowimps don't stop a race unless the spectators can't see the track anymore.

Sounds almost like George Carlin comparing football to baseball.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 28):
After a while my wife called me on the cell phone. I asked where she was and she said 'a Starbucks in Marin County, where are you?' I told her I could not be farther from her if I was on another planet and I described the scene before me.

What an image! True entertainment would be to transport your scene back to Marin.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
I'd say they have balls, but where would that leave Danica?

Hopefully sweaty and on the business end of your tongue!
Where are all of my respected members going?

dragon-wings

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:04 pm

Not to change the subject, but does anyone follow motorcycle racing? (AMA Superbike or Moto GP) I don't really follow it, but from what I have seen this is the most exciting form of racing!

http://www.air-spa.it:8080/opencms/opencms/open-Air/it/Svago/Moto_GP3.jpg
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting MartinairYYZ (Reply 34):

Because - seriously - people are ignorant. Folks fail to see that NASCAR has progressed from the Fireball Roberts, Junior Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Sr and their broken down beat up REAL STOCK cars and moonshine running hillbillies on dirt tracks in the Southeast US to the fastest growing, largest audience sport in the Nation.

There's the answer plain and simple.

I've been to many races - and I've run in to all sorts of people in the crowd, from Airplane pilots to politicians to soldiers to lawyers . . . and yes, the standard issue teeth missing needs a shave and haircut wifebeater wearing Budweiser swilling hillbilly too.

NASCAR may be "just going in circles" but I dare anyone here - myself included - to sit in a hot car (140 degrees F) on a hot track (115 degrees F) at 180 mph (plus) for three/four/five hours while 42 other drivers compete to wipe your ass out. There's more to it that simply driving fast and turning left.

And the difference between going fast and turning left in an F1 or IRL series car and a NASCAR is what??? The difference between running a road course in California in a NASCAR as opposed to an F21 or IRL series car is what???

I love it when my points are made and remade for me . . . even better when it's made by a teenager that might not even have a drivers license and certainly couldn't hold a candle to anyone on the NASCAR circuit, IRL, F1 or any other racing curcuit . . .  laughing 

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 38):
Hopefully sweaty and on the business end of your tongue!

One can fantasize, can't one.  bigthumbsup 

MD-90

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:16 pm

Throughout history snobs have always demonstrated an eager willingness to look down upon the masses and sneer.

If you argue that Nascar is boring, I won't disagree with you.

AirCop

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:34 pm

It seems like everywhere I go, and on these forums, and even among my family, people seem to get their kicks by making fun of NASCAR,

Okay I grant you the above, but where does the "Hate" come in? Sounds like some good nature fun to me.

Alias1024

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:47 pm

I won't bash NASCAR fans for liking it, but personally I find it boring. They don't turn right, except maybe one or two races a season. I can't stand IRL for the same reason. CART and F1 are for me. The only NASCAR races I might watch are the short tracks like Bristol and Martinsville (guaranteed wrecks), and road courses (I know they still have Sonoma, do they still race at Watkins Glen?). I actually enjoy seeing cars with that much size try to maneuver and make passes around a true road course.

Now, if NASCAR really wanted to get me to watch, they need Monaco and Laguna Seca on the schedule. Can you imagine those cars trying to work their way through the hairpins before the tunnel under the hotel!!! Or cars swapping paint as they pass through the corkscrew at Laguna!!! That would be worth watching.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 43):
I won't bash NASCAR fans for liking it, but personally I find it boring.

Just as I find Baseball boring . . . no need to bash anyone over it.

And I certainly don't fit the "stereoytpical" NASCAR fan design . . . it's unfortunately, a lot of my relative do!  cry  One reason I live 5000 miles from them . . .  biggrin 

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 43):
do they still race at Watkins Glen?).

Yes.

cptkrell

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Briefly, and I'm recognising previous comments here, things, people, activities, religions, sports, ad infinirum, reinforces preconceived and sometimes learned dislikes in many people (I'm not entirely sure the term "hate" is appropos); witness the numerous prejudiced - and quite uneducated, IMO - comments on A.net about almost ANY subject.

Many people have an unfortunate tendency to yap of what they know little about, or, for a variety of exposures, don't care about. It's quite the norm around here.

I'll throw out some personal thoughts...

I have a specialized "In God We Trust" license plate on one of my pickemup trucks. I can only imagine the number of people on this forum think I'm an asshole. I also have a specialized license plate on another pickemup truck with the old Confederate Flag on it. I can only imagine the number of people on this forum that think I'm an asshole. I also have a specialized plate on wifey's rocket ship that has a Tennessee Walking Horse on it. I can only imagine how many people on this forum think I'm an asshole. I also occassionally crew for the likes of Tony Stewart. Again...I'm an asshole to some. I also occassionally crew for Max Papis. Asshole again, I suppose.

Like Kerry...you're an asshole. Like Bush...you're an asshole. Like Dodges...you're an asshole. Like Volkswagens...you're an asshole. I'm not a big fan of Soccer, so my only casual interest in the World Cup SURELY makes me an asshole in the eyes of many here. But, I appreciate that sport and would never badmouth it because I didn't understand or appreciate the venue. Appreciation or at least recognition in a constructive way when commenting about a topic is not a so profound attribute with a goodly percentage of this forum's members.

To the Subject Title:

I like, with varying degrees of interest, ALL forms of motorsports, land, sea and air based. For the wimpys that haven't a clue because of their blinders and inexperience render them absolutely, positively incapable of at least sidestepping their prejudices to recognise there is life beyond A.net bitchings, let them continue to whine and be a professional motorsports commentator. Here on A.net, of course. Regards...jack
all best; jack

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 45):
I also occassionally crew for the likes of Tony Stewart. Again...I'm an asshole to some.

And then there's hero worship . . .

Any and all TONY gear, gratis of course, will be appreciated . . .  wink  silly 

Seriously, if I might ask, pit crew or what? I find the crews in the pits of any motorsport to be phenomenal . . . damned hard job, and one I know I couldn't do . . . impressive to say the least. Four tires and fuel, 20 lug nuts, windshield, maybe a spring rubber, in 12-14 seconds . . damned impressive . . .

Duff44

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:16 pm

tapedshut  (remaining quiet after watching 20 of the 24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend on TV)  tapedshut 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

cptkrell

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:30 pm

ANC...I only crew the IROC venue. Tony, Martin, Papis et al are invited drivers this season. I just help in the garage with graphics (all the race cars are only white paint...every color other than white is a pressure-sensitive color sheet or die cut graphic...we hand-apply and custom-cut to all cars once the drivers are blind-chosen to what car they will drive). Race day duties are hand-gluing each lugnut to each wheel/tire, lining cars on starting grid and then and throwing the tires over the pit wall for a tire change during race. I'm getting too old for that. Might be my last season. I need to let the experts and young bulls carry on forward. Leaving for Daytona next Mon. (we'll be roadracing on inner circuit for that one); Best Regards...jack
all best; jack

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 48):

Thanks for the info . . .

Sounds like a lot of work - and a lot of fun . . .

Tell Stewart he has Alaska fans too. . .  wink