Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Motivation To Workout?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:52 am

Hey,
Just a quick question...For those of you who work out, what is your motivation? What keeps you into it? Also, what are your work out plans and how many days a week do you excercise?

Scaredflyer21

Garri767

RE: Motivation To Workout?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:06 am

Mp3 player really helps, i end up lifting the weights to the beat of the song lol.

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

Boeinglover24

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:11 am

I put a full-sized mirror right in front of the threadmill..
Uhhh What?

YeahitsK

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:13 am

My motivation is the heart disease that runs in my family. I know that if I don't exercise that I too will have those problems. I walk a few miles every day and 45 minutes of cardio (stationary bike, elliptical trainer) 3-5 times a week. I also lift weights, but not so much of that lately.
Let's play some Pitch...

oli80

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:14 am

5x a week, 2h at a time. My motivation? simple... Hot chicks in lycra!!

futuresdpdcop

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:41 am

Mine is checkin out all the hot guys in the locker room/showers after my workout.

Derico

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:53 am

Women, plain an simple. Only thing that gets me going is to at least have a descent body (don't like ripped), to at least be competitive in the jungle.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

fr8mech

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:00 am

The number 323. That was my total cholestoral 6 months ago. Down to 255 now and hopefully still dropping.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

greasespot

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:14 pm

spend 500 bucks and sign up for an Ironman.......That keeps me focused....

GS

Oh and this will be my 5th Ironman
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting FutureSDPDcop (Reply 5):
Mine is checkin out all the hot guys in the locker room/showers after my workout.

I don't know if you thought you were being cool by saying that... but that's screwed up. It's "rude" if a guy stares at a chick's chest... but it's cool if some dude lurks in the showers to see other guys naked? To go to a gym for the sole purpose of seeing guys naked is sick.

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
Hey,
Just a quick question...For those of you who work out, what is your motivation? What keeps you into it? Also, what are your work out plans and how many days a week do you excercise?

Well, PT (physical training) is mandatory for me... every morning my platoon works out as a group. It's always good motivation to work out with a small group. And in addition, if I find time, I usually end up spending an hour doing personal PT in the afternoons. My last PT test was: 82 push-ups in 2 minutes, 85 sit ups in 2 minutes, and I ran the 2 mile in 13m35sec (which pisses me off. Before I came to the desert I could run it under 13) I like to work out with someone who scored higher on their PT test than me... because I work harder to keep up.

Working out and staying healthy just makes me FEEL good. I have more energy, I endure the extreme heat better than those who don't take PT seriously and it gives me good body/muscle definition which my wife loves!! Big grin

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:43 pm

It depends on your personality. If you get motivated by seeing guys in great shape-post pictures around your room. If you get motivated by words-write some words down on a peice of paper and post it somewhere. Find what works for you.
Go big or go home

futuresdpdcop

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 9):
I don't know if you thought you were being cool by saying that... but that's screwed up. It's "rude" if a guy stares at a chick's chest... but it's cool if some dude lurks in the showers to see other guys naked? To go to a gym for the sole purpose of seeing guys naked is sick.

It was sort of a joke. I like to see the guys shirtless. Gives me the motivation to get my 6-pac man. I'm not a total perv

ShyFlyer

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
what is your motivation?

Air Force uniform regulations. Seriously. Before that, it was "Tanya." But, she is no longer a factor now, at least for me.  Sad
I lift things up and put them down.

aaden

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:05 pm

keeps me in shape for soccer

itsjustme

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:42 pm

A few incentives. I'm a member of a couple of specialty units at work and there are stringent physical requirements. There's also a history of heart disease in my immediate family so, even without the work requirements, I would still exercise daily. And finally, and maybe most importantly, I like beer, a LOT, and if I didn't work out on a regular basis, I'd surely contract the infamous dunlap's disease.

HAWK21M

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Just make it a routine.Don't let any excuse come in the way.
20 mins Treadmill,15 mins Cycling.Alternate day Free Exercises & Weights.
5 days a week.
Also depends on your current weight.Might need to exercise accordingly.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

asbg

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Try in the beginning to workout with a personal trainer. Not only will he motivate you but also you will know that you have an appointment you have to go to.

Sam.

Aerotik

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:52 pm

I love doing NIA (this used to stand for non-impact aerobics). It integrates a cardiovascular workout with dance and martial arts movements and ends with yogic stretching/poses. NIA doesn't cause excessive impact on ankles and knees. I try to attend at least 3 1 hour+ classes a week. The music is great and for guys, most of the classes are ALL women! Look for a class near you!

www.nia-nia.com

Yes, I must work out because my metabolism isn't what it used to be and to feel fit and strong. An hour of flapping, kicking, punching and balancing will really get one healthier.
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE." - HAL 9000

planespotting

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:00 pm

My motivation to work is threefold:

1. Health - Working out on a regular basis promotes a healthy body and a healthy mind! (i sound like a P.E. teacher).
2. Appearance - Everyone has some sort of vanity, and like most people, I feel more confident about myself when I am in good physical condition.
3. Eye Candy - Yeah, i said it. You would not believe the ridiculously attractive girls that work out at Fitness East on the University of Iowa campus. It's not like I am extremely obvious about checking the females out, I think I'm probably better than most guys about not staring and being polite/courteous - but to be honest, thinking about seeing all those little freshman/sophies runnin on the treadmill or doin pilates while I'm doin my thing does not hurt my motivation to work out.

But, I am pretty lazy. I try to do 3x/week, usually it ends up being 2x, and this week it has not been at all. I went for a nice 20 minute run last saturday when I was in minneapolis at my uncles house, and that was the last time. hmmm...maybe i'll go this morning! (not likely)
Do you like movies about gladiators?

airxliban

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:24 pm

I don't do it as much as I should do, but you really feel good once you've worked out. Something about endorphins?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Emirates773ER

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:00 am

The motivation: Be eye candy for other people, attract girls.

How I do it: I hit the gym at least 4 times weekly to keep myself in shape although I am not very consistent but once you end up having a good physique you have to remain consistent, it comes naturally. If you put in a good 6 months of hard work with the right diet the results will be astonishing, once your body gets a good build up it much easier to maintain it, at least this is what I have experienced in the last 4 years.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Scrappy74

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:44 am

So many benefits...looking good, feeling good, increased self-esteem. I use exercise as a stress-reliever; although sometimes at the end of the workday the last thing I feel like doing is hitting the gym, I'm always glad I did. The steep membership prices at Gold's also motivate me to get my money's worth  Smile

Too few people work out, instead we pursue these ridiculous fat "cures" when all it really takes is eating fewer Whoppers and getting off one's ass more.

And yes, the scenery at the gym is a factor some days...  angel 
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

747srule

Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08 am

5 miles 5 times a week.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

AC777LR

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:30 am

My motivation is the people that are at the gym, they are like really great people that I look forward to interacting with every day (well six times a week), I am building my body and my social skills. Chat room the Gym way!!! I find I feel great after a really good workout, and I have come a long way since I was a teenager.
Member since April 2000