Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC777LR

RE: Smoker Or Non-smoker?

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:41 pm

The only thing I will smoke is a CUBAN CIGAR, and that's on a rare rare occasion. I hate cigs, they are gross. Smoking in the car should be illegal, and I applaud the province for going smoke free in the work place.
Member since April 2000

falstaff

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:50 pm

I stopped smoking in December of 1997 when the price in Missouri was going to over $2 a pack on 1-1-98. It would have been cheaper for low end smokes. I always smoked regular Marlboros, same as my dad, who has since quit too. About a pack a day. I live in Michigan now and Marlboros are close to $5 a pack sometimes over that. I am sure glad I stopped. Haven't had one since I stopped and I hope to never have one again. I still like my beer! I hope to never have to give that up. I remember once in 1992 I asked the clerk at a gas station to give me his finest cigarettes and he gave me Marlboros.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

JAGflyer

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 51):

$2 a pack is expensive? Hell, name brand smokes in Canada go for almost $10 for a 25 pack.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

KPDX

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Nope, then Im only 14.  Wink Plus smoking looks nasty and the smoke is horrid it gives me headaches! Sad

KPDX  Smile

falstaff

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:15 pm

Those prices in Canada are sky high heh? Beer is pricey too. I drive over to Windsor, Ontario rather often. I like some of the beers, Red Cap Ale especially. I have an artist friend, in Kansas City, who collects those anti-smoking warning labels on Canadian smokes. He always wants me to pick him up a few while I am there. I must look like an idiot picking up empty packs out of the trash at the gas station. I guess it is no different than collecting safety cards or barf bags.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

aaden

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:30 pm

non smoker

aaden

acho

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Around five Marlboro Mediums per day. I can'r help smoking when I drink, put I can't stand smoking in a closed room. I HATE the smell on the clothes, that why I try to only smoke in the car with the windows down, or in an open area.

Touchdown777

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Thread starter):
Do you smoke cigarettes? if so, what brand, and how much do you smoke?

Being that my father developed a 7 centimeter tumor this year most likely due to his smoking, I decided to quit cold turkey.

For the record, though ... I used to smoke Marlboro Lights.

T7
Made in the USA

NWOrientDC10

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Do you smoke cigarettes?

No

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 8):
I DON'T smoke! Thank lord for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

checkmark 

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
Don't smoke, never have and never will! Disgusting habit.

checkmark 

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 10):
Never have, never will, and still trying to get my dad to quit smoking.

I wish my dad would quit as well. He's smoked at least two packs a day for as long as I can remember  Sad

Quoting BA787 (Reply 26):
Dont smoke in that lovely new car of yours, tobacco smell ruins a car.

Indeed it does.

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 27):
I am also all for the smoking bans in public places ..... well maybe not in pubs.

I concur

Quoting Jap (Reply 34):
I could never date/go out with anyone who smokes or has smoked and quit... I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to kiss them

I have, some things you just have to overlook. If you're involved with a smoker, God forbid if you don't have a pack of smokes or a light to give her (or him).

The main controversy about smoking is the fact that it's socially acceptable as is alcohol use. The thing is, a person who smokes is forcing his habit on those around him. I have a challenge for you smokers. The next time you light up and are holding a cigarette between your fingers, hold it with the smoking end toward you instead of away from you. This is what it's like for the rest of us when you're around.

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

bill142

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:02 pm

I'm a passive smoker. All my friends smoke, even my mother smokes, and I'm forced to put up with the sideeffects unless I want to be anti-social.

ABfemme

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 26):
Dont smoke in that lovely new car of yours, tobacco smell ruins a car.

Sure does!! Cos its so new and spotless and smells clean I am determined NOT to smoke in it!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 30):
nurse, all of them are hardcore smokers,

Yup - You should see us all in the Hospital grounds since they banned us from smoking inside !! Disgraceful !!

Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

RobertNL070

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 49):
about 6 hours. Its like a drug, when u dont have it for a while, withdrawal starts: severe irritability, headaches, fatigue, body aches, drowsiness...not good stuff.

Ever so slightly exaggerated there  Yeah sure......... 6 hours!?! You are dreaming up justifications for not stopping and they are not worth the broadband they are wriiten on. The only person you're kidding is yourself.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

jap

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 58):

I have, some things you just have to overlook. If you're involved with a smoker, God forbid if you don't have a pack of smokes or a light to give her (or him).

Sorry, couldn't do it- the second I learn someone smokes, they're automatically erased off my "possible boyfriend" list  Wink I don't consider myself picky at all, but that's something I can't handle. I refuse to increase my chances of getting lungcancer because someone feels they have to suck on a piece of paper with a bunch of leaves in it (that stinks) in my prescence  grumpy 
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

MichiganMAN

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Embassy Mild when I lived in the UK

Basic Lights now I am in the USA.

someone has to keep the economy afloat.
UK -> USA

USairways16BWI
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 61):
Ever so slightly exaggerated there

nope...i was at work and i didnt bring my smokes with me. I bumed one of a friend as i was going in. this was 8am. I said to myself...this will be my last cigarette. Even on my lunch break i didnt have one, but i stood outside watching my co-workers smoking. By about 2pm, i couldnt take it anymore, so i ran next door to a gas station and bought a pack, smoked 3 in a row and went back into work...feeling better, yet discouraged. before that, i was really in a bad mood and did have a headache.

vikkyvik

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 64):
nope...i was at work and i didnt bring my smokes with me. I bumed one of a friend as i was going in. this was 8am. I said to myself...this will be my last cigarette. Even on my lunch break i didnt have one, but i stood outside watching my co-workers smoking. By about 2pm, i couldnt take it anymore, so i ran next door to a gas station and bought a pack, smoked 3 in a row and went back into work...feeling better, yet discouraged. before that, i was really in a bad mood and did have a headache.

Quitting any addiction is not going to be a walk in the park. You begin to feel worse pretty rapidly, but you have to suffer through the bad part. Things begin to get better after that, but you'll never get to see that if you don't go through the withdrawal.

That said, there are some drugs where you absolutely shouldn't go cold turkey on your own, because your body could go into shock and you could die. I've never heard of this happening from nicotine withdrawal. However, if you really want to quit, you can always get some sort of help. But you have to really want to quit.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

catholic2006

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:44 am

Sadly, yes, I do smoke. Marb lights regular, about 2-4 daily.

And I'm an oboist. . .even tho a lot of oboists smoke. . .hmmm. . .

~chris~

Parliaments are like the most expensive here in PA, does anyone kno if they're any good?
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

YYZflyer

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 am

I've never smoked nor will I ever smoke. It's disgusting and smelly. I refuse to date a girl that smokes and she must also be drug free. I wish Canada would ban smoking but I know that'll never happen.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

atrude777

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:57 am

I do not smoke.

I have a small case of asthma so I get coughing and I can't stand it.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

ZKSUJ

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:39 am

Don't smoke here

filler

filler

SUJ

texan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:07 am

Do not smoke. Never have smoked. Do not ever want to smoke. Grandpa started smoking when he was 17, died of complications from cancer when he was in his late 60s. Started out as lung cancer, moved all over. Combine that with being allergic to it and hating the smell, never saw any sense in it.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

jumpseatflyer

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:56 pm

drink when i smoke, except around my preppy friends. so in short, i wish i had a smoke now.

LFutia

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I dont smoke... never have! its disgusting and most of my co-workers do it. I always tell them how bad it is to smoke. I am trying to get my neighbours to quit smoking too. As you can see, I'm very anti-smoking.

Leo
Leo/ORD

AerospaceFan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Do you smoke cigarettes? if so, what brand, and how much do you smoke?

Nonsmoker here. I've never really seen much of a need, although I've smoked on occasion. I've smoked only while in Vegas, and then only very rarely. (In my entire lifetime, I've probably smoked less than four full packs of cigarettes.)
What's fair is fair.

USairways16BWI
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 65):
But you have to really want to quit.

an addiction is different in different people. Some may still be addicted, but they've quit and never look back. Some people try to quit several times, like months at a time, but by 4 months, they are right back on it. Some people go years and years after their last cigarette...then, 10/20 or even 30 years later, they start back up again, and its as if they never quit in the first place

I want to quit, but i cant, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to.

RobertNL070

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 74):

Ahhhh, that's the real reason. Okay, nothing wrong with that. At least now you are being honest with yourself.

About six months before I took the plunge, I began to sort of condition myself. Something like: "Robert, you have got to stop smoking. It's very bad for your health, there is a history of asthma in the family; it is detrimental to the health of others around you and it costs a lot of money." Or words to that effect. And I kept on repeating them over and over again, like a mantra.

The big day arrives. Don't look back on what you miss, but concentrate on and what you gain. For example, freedom. No more patting your pockets before you go out, "have I got my cigarettes/enough cigarettes. I must go to the store to buy some."

After a few weeks food will taste better - try to keep your weight constant. I gained some 12 kg/26 lbs and over the years I've lost about half of that.

There are lots more benefits, but I haven't the time to mention them now.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 

mandala499

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Yes... local brand called LA lights cloved ciggies... a pack of 16 a day max.

To those of you who are trying to quit... don't bother if you want to decide one day "that's it"... if it's the nicotine addiction, it won't be easy... best to reduce slowly to allow getting used to it, and eventually, U see that pack you haven't finished for over a week and decided to throw it in the bin. I quit once that way... At least now I can control it better than those days when I tried to just quit which resulted in me smoking more than before a few months later...

If you do smoke, try be considerate when able... there are less and less places for us to go now.

$5 a pack in Michigan? Shucks! It's 70-90 cents US for a pack of Malboros here!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

catholic2006

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 75):
Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 74):

Ahhhh, that's the real reason. Okay, nothing wrong with that. At least now you are being honest with yourself.

I have the same problem with fasting for a while and then eating and purging, but I'm not ready. I know I'm supposed to and i know it's bad, and I know it's probably deadly after a few years, but I am too comfortable with it now, it's been 2 years and it's part of me. Hopefully I can let it go.

~chris~
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

USairways16BWI
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:25 am

patting your pockets before you go out, "have I got my cigarettes/enough cigarettes. I must go to the store to buy some."

LOL...i do that every time i walk out of my house. Ill say, it is a little annoying.

try to keep your weight constant. I gained some 12 kg/26 lbs and over the years I've lost about half of that.

that's something else I'm a little worried about, i guess the rumor is true; you gain weight after quitting cigarettes. And that is because since you dont have cigarettes, you have to find something else to do, most likely eat...alot. Smoking lessens the appetite, no smoking, bigger appetite.

Curtisman

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:27 am

Never smoked.
Don't smoke.
Never will smoke.

Cheers!
Len
Citizen of the World

ThereandBack

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:47 pm

I don't smoke and I never will.  Smile

RobertNL070

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 78):

Ah, but you are 19 years old and I was 38 when I stopped. Weight gain at your age should be easier to combat (but that's no excuse for me). To tell you the truth, I don't remember eating more than before I stopped smoking. Besides the negative health effects, smoking does strange things to your body and stopping smoking can entail some short-lived but odd side-effects. Insomnia was my biggest problem. Mercifully I wasn't grumpy. I think it does weird things to your metabolism too, hence my weight gain without having changed my eating pattern.

Be strong Chris.

Kind regards, Robert  bouncy 

glennstewart

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Never have, never will.
Now I'll get back to the healthier habit of screening.
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

duke

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:21 pm

No, it's an odoriferous, unhealthy habit from which my father, grandfather, great grandfather, great uncle, and cousin's wife have all apparently had serious health problems.

'Nuff said.

JamieD

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:25 pm

I gave up cigarettes about 7 and a half months ago, and haven't looked back since.

[Edited 2006-07-16 13:32:00]

ZRH

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:42 pm

I find smoking very disgusting. People stink and I almost can't breath when there is a lot of cigarette smoke. When I was 17 we skipped school one afternoon and I smoked about 10 Marlboro then I vomited the whole night. Since then I never smoked a cigarette again, fortunately. Now I smoke once in a while a good cigar from Cuba or Dominican Republic.

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:41 am

Yes I smoke.
Local brand when I'm in Serbia, when outside the country it depends what I find. My choice is Benson & Hedges, Rothmans International or Dunhill, but Marlboro can do fine, too.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 30):
I noticed the same when I made my civil service and I see it every time when I meet my friends who are working as a doctor or nurse, all of them are hardcore smokers, yes, all of them!

Yes, that's the same here.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

christeljs

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:03 am

Christel A Photography

carmenlu15

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Never have, never will. Actually, I didn't mind the smoke, but never found what was so special about it, so I never tried it. Then I saw my great-aunt's husband (a chain smoker) pass away from a massive cancer; now smoking scares the hell out of me.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

B747_A340

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:24 pm

I tend to smoke socially. Mostly I like Malboros but Camels are good too. It really depends on what is available at the time (or what my friends have on them lol).
God, please save me from your followers!

andrewuber

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:17 pm

Never have and never will smoke.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.  vomit 

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

Halcyon

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I don't smoke, because I think it is fairly nasty and it gives me a terrible headache.

I think it's funny that smokers step outside for a "breath of fresh air" when they go to smoke.  eyebrow 

express1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:15 pm

I smoke roll-ups (Amber Leaf) i buy a 25g pack every other day and because i roll my own,i tend not to bother counting on how many i smoke,but at a guess,i say around 40-50 a day. I'v always been a heavy smoker,but then i rather do that than Drink heavy,as my father drank heavy,which distroyed the family life.

ashamed 

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

57AZ

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Never smoked myself but worked around coal burning steam locomotives for roughly ten years. The line we ran on passes through a 980 foot unventilated tunnel. NO way to seal the cab while passing through since the rear is entirely open. 12 times a day, five to seven days a week for six months each year-I know that the coal smoke and dust has done a job on me. Came home every day looking black around the eyes from the soot and dust and reeking of smoke.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

halls120

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 91):
I think it's funny that smokers step outside for a "breath of fresh air" when they go to smoke

Also never had and never will.

My parents both smoked until I was 9 years old. they both quit, and it was amazing how much better our house smelled.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

57AZ

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Mom never smoked and Dad only smoked pipes briefly (many years before having kids). Both sets of grandparents smoked but always told me that just because they were doing it didn't make it ok-smoking was bad and I should not do it. We always had a no smoking rule in the house, cars and airplanes. With the amount of information available concerning the effects of smoking, it boggles my mind that otherwise reasonable people still start albeit not in the numbers seen in previous generations.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

flyingbabydoc

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Never even tried. I have asthma - even being closer to smokers makes me turn a nice shade of deep blue...  faint 

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 60):
Yup - You should see us all in the Hospital grounds since they banned us from smoking inside !! Disgraceful !!

I am sorry, but that IS disgraceful. It happened in our ER - nurses and docs would smoke in the ambulance entrance hall! The stench was unbearable. I would, if it were up to me, ban smoking anywhere in the hospital grounds..

Talk about setting an example...  Wink
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

WrenchBender

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:08 am

I smoked from the age of 13 to 41, it is a hard habit to give up, trust me, I tried many times before I thought myself succesful. Been off them for 3 and a half years. To all that are trying to quit good luck in the attempt. To all those who have yet to come up with a reason to quit start looking (or look harder).

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Touchdown777

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 97):
To all that are trying to quit good luck in the attempt.

It has been my experiences that I would tell myself that it would be very easy to go cold-turkey, do it, then find myself back to smoking again 6 months later downing packs of cigs at a higher rate than ever before.

The recent events happening to my dad have gotten me to realize that I won't be smoking much in the future.

T7
Made in the USA

A340600

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:29 am

Socially, though i'm stopping this as it's disgusting and i've got to stop doing it,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!