Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Excellent Names For Dogs (Internationally)

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:36 am

The kitty-cat naming thread had me thinking about names for dogs, as well. Here in the U.S., there are stereotypical names, like "Spot" or "Rex", that people use when referring to family dogs. I don't know that many people actually name their dogs "Spot" or "Rex".

Here are some other names that occur to me: "Wolfie", from Terminator 2; "Snoopy", from "Peanuts"; "Old Yeller", from the famous novel and Disney movie of the same name; "Goofy", the talking Disney dog; "Pluto", the non-talking Disney dog; and I'm probably missing a bunch of others. In fact, I know I am.

What good names for dogs can you think of from your country?

Also, do you treat your dog as a pet or as a family member? And does it have the same last name (if it has one) as your family's?

Then there are the Presidential dogs, like Millie, from Bush I. I've forgotten the current First Dogs' names. Also, Fala, FDR's dog, and Checkers, Nixon's.

Oh, and "Santa's Little Helper" from The Simpsons.

So, anyone else have great names for dogs? Thanks in advance.

[Edited 2006-07-14 00:40:08]
What's fair is fair.

IFEMaster

RE: Excellent Names For Dogs (internationally)

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:40 am

My dog is called "McFly", after George McFly from Back To The Future. I chose that name because he's a total dumbass - barks at himself in the mirror, whimpers in the most pathetic manner when any of the cats beat up on him, and when I take him for a walk, if he gets tired, he just sits down and refuses to budge.

He's a stubborn dog! He's a West Highland White Terrier. I've had two others in the past; the first was called 'Brodie' and the other was called 'Haggis'. My mum had one for a few years too and named her 'Polly'.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

RE: Excellent Names For Dogs (Internationally)

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
My dog is called "McFly", after George McFly from Back To The Future.

That's great! A sci-fi-oriented name. I like the other three you listed, too.

Another SF-derived name for a dog would be "Porthos", from Star Trek: Enterprise.

P.S.: Your dog sounds like quite a character!

[Edited 2006-07-14 00:42:29]
What's fair is fair.

Nancy

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:42 am

I think the most common names in the US are Guiness and Bailey and any other clever name having to do with alcohol.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Nancy (Reply 3):
I think the most common names in the US are Guiness and Bailey and any other clever name having to do with alcohol.

"Budweiser"!

Big grin

You could also shorten it to "Bud", which makes a lot of sense.

Or maybe, "Less Filling".

[Edited 2006-07-14 00:45:37]
What's fair is fair.

TuRbUleNc3

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:05 am

ive got 2 dogs a collie cross ..and some other weird thing that im not too sure of. The collie cross is boeing and the one im not too sure about is airbus

It sure makes you stand out when your in the park and its busy!

Doona

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting Nancy (Reply 3):

Well, how about "Beer"? Simple, and quite clever, if you ask me...  silly 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

IFEMaster

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
Your dog sounds like quite a character!

You don't know the half of it. He will only eat if none of the cats are in the room, and only if his dinner is served in a shallow dish. A bowl just won't do. He barks at the mail man when he delivers the mail, but hides from the kid from down the street who comes and washes my car every Saturday. When it's really hot outside, he'll go and sit in the bath as if he wants to take a shower or a bath or something to cool off, but then he hates it when we actually do give him a bath.

Honestly, sometimes I just want to tap on his head and go "Helloooo!!! McFlyyyyyy! Anyone hooommmmeee???"

He's adorable though  Smile

dragon-wings

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:34 am

When I was a kid I had a St. Bernard named Butterball. We got her when she was a pup and she reminded us of a frozen butterball turkey the way she looked when she slept all curled up.

I always thought Pepper was a good name for a Dalmatian.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

BMIFlyer

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 5):
ive got 2 dogs a collie cross ..and some other weird thing that im not too sure of. The collie cross is boeing and the one im not too sure about is airbus

Imagine the headline for example, if the dogs were male, female and dating  Wink

Todays news - "Boeing Shafts Airbus..."  silly 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

jap

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
I've forgotten the current First Dogs' names

I know G.W.B's dog is called Spot  Silly No kidding.

Typical danish dog's name would be "Fido"... but other than that, we got about the same ones as you do  Smile
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

airwave

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:33 am

Some other rather common dog names (at least 'round these parts) include: Riley, Bogie, Gus, Mickey, Jack or Jackie, and Charlie or Chuck. Chuck seems to be used by beagles mainly, perhaps as an underhand reference to Peanuts, lol.

I'm probably missing a bunch of others

Don't forget Rin Tin Tin and Lassie. Also, probably the two most famous TV dogs of today, Moose and Enzo, from Frasier (who happen to be father and son, respectively).

Also, do you treat your dog as a pet or as a family member? And does it have the same last name (if it has one) as your family's?

Oh, a member of the family, definitely. No two ways about it. Coda has free reign of the house and is allowed to choose where she sleeps each night. She's also *amazingly* intelligent. For example, she *knows* to go lie down when the family starts praying before dinner. Nobody taught her that, it's just something she does. As for the name, her full name is Coda Chelsea and yes, she has the family name.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
A sci-fi-oriented name.

I've been kicking around the idea if I get two pups from a litter, I might name them Artoo and Deetoo... Or not, I dunno, lol.

Quoting Nancy (Reply 3):

I know a family with a dog named Johnny Walker Kahlua-Coors Jagermeister Stolichnya the *THIRD*. But the kids call him Shirley, as in Temple. This stuff writes itself, lol.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 9):
"Boeing Shafts Airbus..."

rotfl Wow. Just--wow.  rotfl 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

looneytoon

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:43 am

my dog's name is Chaco. Its a dry barren region of western paraguay, and my dog's color reminds me of that.

My grandma has had cool dog names such as Sexy, Dammit, and Snow White. Now she has two dogs named LaLa and Rambo.
LooneyToon

levent

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:54 am

We have six dogs right now and their names are:

Caesar - the mother... what a silly name for a female
Socks - brown with white feet
Seth - named after a character of John Irving's "Son of the Circus"
Elvis - duh... this one likes to sing
Sister - the sister of Socks, Seth and Elvis!
Mouse - the smallest, with huge ears

UAL747

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:02 am

All of my dogs I've had:

1. Hooker - Because she was a Slut (Died)
2. Samson - (Had to be put down)
3. Otis - Given Away - Turned out to be a pretty mean Lhasa Apso
4. Harvey - Still With Us
5. Casey - Still With Us
6. Hayden - (had to be put down)
7. Bruce - Ran Away

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

fly727

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:56 am

When I had dogs, I named them:

Laika (as the Russian dog in space).
Vodka.
Whisky.
Tequila.

They were so cute and miss them a lot!
RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:47 pm

Laika is a great name for a dog who belongs to anyone who likes space exploration.

Everyone seems to have such creative names for their dogs!

Here's one that occurs to me: "Bowser". It's also the name of a member of the 1950's-style nostalgia band, Sha-Na-Na.
What's fair is fair.

Duff44

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:06 pm

My dad's Pomeranian is named Satin (not Satan!!  devil  ) but she has the nickname "Pookie" for looking like the teddy bear of 'Garfield', the cat from comic strips.

My friend's roommate had a Doberman named "Dana" that was named after former UMass basketball player Dana Dingle...

A former co-worker had dogs named "Yogi" and "Mickey", for former New York Yankees Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 pm

^^Comic strips and sports -- great inspirations for pet names. I can just imagine, for example, a bulldog's being named "Babe" for Babe Ruth!
What's fair is fair.

NoUFO

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:37 pm

Whiskey is a nice name for a yellow Labrador. Other than that I like Gromit.

A friend adopted a dog called Forrest (Gump). I was a bit sceptical at first, but Forrest has a beautiful sound.
I support the right to arm bears

jumpseatflyer

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:41 pm

Two labs, Calvin and Hobbes, from the popular Bill Waterson comic strip.

Aeroflot777

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:23 pm

We had a pit bull named "Marta" NOT Martha, as many people often mispronounced it!! That mispronunciation just drove me nuts.
She was named Marta because she was a present to my mom from my dad for "8 Marta" which in Russian is 8th of March, women's day. She unfortunately died having only been 5 months old, during a very common operation. Not a good time for our family.

Aeroflot777

DAL767400ER

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:30 pm

I used to have a young German Shepherd puppy named Jerry Lee, onviously in reference to the move K-9 Jerry Lee. Never got the chance to turn my Jerry Lee into a mean maschine like the movie one, as he was poisened by a neighbor who was annoyed by his barking  Sad .

EasternSon

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:36 pm

My 135lb Chocolate Labrador Retriever is named Marley.

He's enormous, and nobody ever believes me that he's a full-bred Lab. He's as big as a swamp moose, but when he was little, he was brown and round and looked like a little blunt. So I called him Marley.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

TuRbUleNc3

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 9):
Todays news - "Boeing Shafts Airbus

Well they arent brother and sister by blood, but Boeing did get fruity with Airbus once or twice, was a horrid sight to find them basically stuck together  vomit  vomit  the smell was rather stomach turning too  vomit 

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 24):
Well they arent brother and sister by blood, but Boeing did get fruity with Airbus once or twice, was a horrid sight to find them basically stuck together vomit vomit the smell was rather stomach turning too vomit

That reminds me of a Southpark episode with the gay dog..."Don't be gay. Don't be gay!!". Hilarious.

scintx

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:27 am

My ex-wife and step daughter brought home a fully grown dog one day. I was against it since both of them were about as lazy as possible and it would be come my new task. The dog had this odd long name that I could not pronounce. So I just called the dog "Dog". Dog and I hit it off real well. If he did something wrong his name changed to jesus. I really liked him well and I lost custody after our divorce.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

lapper

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:31 am

Why doesn't anyone call their dog something normal like Colin, Dave, Brian or Ian or something like that?!

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:01 am

I knew someone with a dog named "Go Away." It was funny to hear her call him.

"Go Away! Go Away! Come here, Go Away!"

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

airwave

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 23):
when he was little, he was brown and round and looked like a little blunt. So I called him Marley.

rotfl  Priceless!

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 22):
he was poisened by a neighbor who was annoyed by his barking

That's horrible! Idiot. Did (Could) you press charges against him for that? I know I sure as hell would. Just because the dog is an annoyance is not reason enough to *kill* it. Jeesh.

Quoting Lapper (Reply 27):
Why doesn't anyone call their dog something normal like Colin, Dave, Brian or Ian or something like that?!

Because then you'd have half the population of London turning their heads every time a dog was on the loose and the owners went calling for it. Do you see the problem?  Wink

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

DAL767400ER

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 29):
That's horrible! Idiot. Did (Could) you press charges against him for that? I know I sure as hell would. Just because the dog is an annoyance is not reason enough to *kill* it. Jeesh.

Nope, didn't have enough evidence to prove that that dumb b!tch poisened my dog. Just saying that she was hating the dog and continuesly complaining wasn't considered enough evidence.
Thing is, had I watched CSI back then, I would have probably dusted the fence that was cut open to see if there were any fingerprints on it  spin . But alas, to the police it was "just a dog, not worth doing anything"  grumpy .

NoUFO

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 am

he was poisened by a neighbor who was annoyed by his barking

That's horrible! Idiot. Did (Could) you press charges against him for that?

Allow me to jump in. If he had evidence, yes. But the neighbor would not have to fear more than paying a fine plus legal expenses. The theoretical (!) maximum would be three years imprisonment, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a nodding acquaintance with a hobby-breeder of Dalmatians here in Berlin and he bought back a Dalmatian puppy from a family after their neighbors tried to poison the puppy twice. They sued him after his first attempt, and a fine was imposed, but that didn't keep him from trying to kill the puppy another time. Bastards.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 28):
I knew someone with a dog named "Go Away." It was funny to hear her call him.
"Go Away! Go Away! Come here, Go Away!"

Hehehe, a friend of mine, who works for a Dot-Com company, has a Dalmatian (from the above mentioned breeder), and one joker suggested she should call him Dot: "Dot-Com! Dot-Com dot-Com!"

[Edited 2006-07-14 18:55:12]
I support the right to arm bears

scintx

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Lapper (Reply 27):

When I was about 19-20 my roommates and I had a cat named "Dave". I think it came from Cheech and Chong.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:54 am

How about naming a dog "Herpes"

especially if it won't heal (heel)?

Big grin
You can't cure stupid

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:02 pm

^^That's the kind of name that could give the dog a complex!
What's fair is fair.

silverfox

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:52 am

Our first Lab was Eric

The present one is Henry

No one has yet mentioned the mutt in 'East Enders' soap......... Wellard

And dont forget the name of Guy Gibson Sqdn Ldr of the Dam Busters Lab... Nigger but that wouldnt go down well nowadays when i was little !!!!!! my next door neighbours dog was called that, we thought nothing of it.. how times have changed

ScarletHarlot

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 16):
Laika is a great name for a dog who belongs to anyone who likes space exploration.

Not such a good name.

While on TV, they put a dog in space
And left her there...
You should've seen her face
But that was when I ruled the world

duke

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:18 pm

What about a poodle, would you call it Fi-Fi? Or a collie Lassie (or Laddie, if a boy)? Some of these stereotypical names sound so, well, fitting, even if they're stereotypical.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:58 pm

For what its worth, theres a guy in my neighborhood who is an ATC Controller at ORD and he has 2 dogs named United and blizzard.

My golden retriever's name is Bahor, in english the equivalent would be Rascal (or an unwanted child).

srbmod

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:18 pm

How about "Filthy Whore"? Imagine calling your dog, "Come here you Filthy Whore!"

Duff44

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:23 pm

**Might be getting banned, but doing it anyway alert**

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 39):
How about "Filthy Whore"? Imagine calling your dog, "Come here you Filthy Whore!"

Or how about "Stains"

"Come Stains! Come Stains!"

rotfl 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

srbmod

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 40):

"Come Stains! Come Stains!

I forgot about that one! First time I heard that song I almost ran off the road I was laughing so hard.

dtwclipper

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:50 pm

I named mine "Clipper"

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

PanHAM

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Senseless to press charges here in Germany, especially if there is no evidence.
Best way to handle this matter is buying a Rottweiler and let him finish the job.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!