Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

College Major

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:52 am

I am considering creating an individualized major for my collegiate education. The reason simply being that I want to focus on entertainment management, theatre, and dance. Do you think this is a bad idea? Will it hurt me in the future when applying for jobs if I have an individualized major?

Thanks for the input!

Scaredflyer21

TPAnx

RE: College Major

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:05 am

Probably not if you're applying in your chosen field. IIRC, there are schools which offer majors in entertainment and sports management..so why not check them out? BTW, no one has ever asked me about my major/minors
or grade point average...just whether I have a degree..
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

Frontiercpt

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:26 am

Totally go for dance  Wink I'm supposed to start thinking about majors, and I'm thinking probably musical theater so that I can sing, act, AND dance (and I love all three), whereas I don't think I would survive if I studied ONLY dance. Iono, If I study musical theater, then my career choices with it are really limited, but I plan on becoming an FA anyhow, so that doesn't really matter, but jsut in case, I will prolly get a minor in something useful.

But creating your own major sounds really cool, and you would get to do what you love to do!

Sean

catholic2006

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:34 am

Yay other music pplz!!

I wanna major in oboe performance!

~chris~
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

vikkyvik

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:46 am

I say go for it. But I would keep in mind that you will probably have to explain your chosen (created!) major, and how you went about choosing the various classes that went into it. Schools put some effort into selecting proper curricula for a major, so any potential job interviewer may want to know the same about yours. Basically, your major lets you focus in on a particular subject, so you want to make sure that you can get in depth enough in at least one of the various subjects you're considering incorporating into the major.

Of course, this all also depends on what kind of job you're looking for after college.  Smile

Good luck.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

texan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
I am considering creating an individualized major for my collegiate education. The reason simply being that I want to focus on entertainment management

I believe The Ohio State University and the University of Texas both have entertainment management programs or something similar. Another option is to do a regular management major with a minor in theater or something similar, exposing yourself to both sides. See if you can find a professor who would be willing to work with you on creating a couple of entertainment management courses, focusing you solely on those areas of the business. And do your damndest to get an internship with a company who specializes in that field, do a great job for them, and keep in contact with them.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

aa757first

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 5):
Another option is to do a regular management major with a minor in theater or something similar, exposing yourself to both sides.

That's what I was thinking. Why not just get a B.S. in Business Administration and minor in one of arts?

AAndrew