Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

soups
Topic Author

Israel Hits Syria Now

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:35 pm

just got a call from lebanon. couldnt find it on the net in english
This is the statement in arabic on al-jazeera TV (sorry in arabic)

الطيران الحربي الإسرائيلي يهاجم 4 مواقع عسكرية سورية بين المصنع وجديدة يابوس في الأراضي السورية
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

dtwclipper

RE: Israel Hits Syria Now

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Quoting Soups (Thread starter):
Israel Hits Syria Now

MSNBC says it is a Boarder Crossing point inside Lebenon.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

jap

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:38 pm

What does this mean?

And is Israel trying to take over the entire friggin world or are they just going insane?
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

par13del

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Now we see the problem of a free press and the internet.
The "responsible" media sources are saying its is "unconfirmed" but the attack is on a border post inside Lebanon and that a Syrian military unit is "close by".

No lies there I think, but words which can be used for inflamatory reasons, which based on this thread, could very well start.

raffik

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:54 pm

How are people going to be evacuated into Syria from Lebanon? Is everyone now trapped???
- Alec

soups
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Soups (Thread starter):
في الأراضي السوري

this means in Syrian teritory

Beaucaire

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:10 pm

http://focus.msn.de/politik/ausland/nahost_nid_31973.html

Meaning Israeli Fighters have attacked a SYRIAN borderpost with 6 rockets...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

scalebuilder

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 6):
Meaning Israeli Fighters have attacked a SYRIAN borderpost with 6 rockets...

Did this just happen?

Would you have another source or any other additional information on your end confirming how long ago this happened? The press release you quoted surely stated that this happened, but provided very little detail.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Scalebuilder
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

jacobin777

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:22 pm

"An Israeli air raid has killed at least 13 Lebanese civilians who were fleeing southern border areas."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5182564.stm

killing FLEEING civilians...now that is DISGUSTING...... mad ....
"Up the Irons!"

BestWestern

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:26 pm

Im Shocked. How is this supposed to improve the situation?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Beaucaire

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 7):
Would you have another source or any other additional information on your end confirming how long ago this happened? The press release you quoted surely stated that this happened, but provided very little detail.

It is reported by DPA ( Deutsche Presse Agentur ) conveyed to Focus Magazin in Germany.
Other reports come from Al-Jazeera? I will convey additional confirmations as they become available
regards and Al Salam to all people in the Middle East

Beaucaire

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:30 pm

http://focus.msn.de/politik/ausland/nahost_nid_31973.html

It is now reported (Reuters) that Israel denies any attack on a Syrian Borderpost-Syria do not confirm any attck- so it seems the previous message was based on wrong information.

scalebuilder

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):
Im Shocked. How is this supposed to improve the situation?

I think a whole world is in shock over what is unfolding. I have three younger children, and they are deeply concerned.

I don't think we will see any improvement or stability anytime soon. Secret negotiations likely take place as we speak, and maybe what just happened is a reflection of the fact that these are simply not working out in Israel's favor.

It is very sad to witness this in any regard.

My prayers to all of those who would find themselves in danger. Be safe!

Sincerely,

Scalebuilder

rjpieces

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:48 pm

I don't think Israel hit Syria today, but I would not be surprised at all to see the IAF visiting Damascus if Hezbollah continues to launch rockets.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

scalebuilder

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 11):
It is now reported (Reuters) that Israel denies any attack on a Syrian Borderpost-Syria do not confirm any attck- so it seems the previous message was based on wrong information.

It is now reported in Scandinavian media that the firing of rockets indeed took place by the Israeli air force. However, the Israeli spokeswoman stressed, and several times, that noting on Syrian territory was ever hit and that Syrian territory was never violated.

Link is available here (Norwegian only - sorry!)

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/07/15/471531.html

Scalebuilder

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:08 am

Now Israel is hitting gas stations and destroying vital Lebanese infrastructure...completely unacceptable....and digusting......

"Up the Irons!"

par13del

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:37 am

I have another question. It is noted that France has great ties to Lebanon, the Lebanese Ambassidor even mentioned that at the UN yesterday. France and other EU countries are planning to evacuate their citizens from Lebanon, France estimates they have over 17,000 there.

The American's are also looking at doing the same, and they are estimating they have 25,000 to evacuate. If this number is correct, who are these American's and what are they doing there, considering that the French and EU countires are closer to the Lebanese than the Americans, are these all tourist?

BMIFlyer

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:37 am

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Beaucaire

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Par13del (Reply 16):
The American's are also looking at doing the same, and they are estimating they have 25,000 to evacuate. If this number is correct, who are these American's and what are they doing there, considering that the French and EU countires are closer to the Lebanese than the Americans, are these all tourist?

There is quite a substantial number of Americans and Europeans living in Lebanon,Egypt and the gulf-countries.
The US Embassy in Cairo is among the biggest US embassy worldwide.
The american University in Beirut has a very good reputation and hence attracts quite many american lecturers and students.
Many of the american tourists are lebanese-americans with two passports.
France has had historic ties to Lebanon and many Lebanese speak french-the second official language in the country.If you live in France, you will encounter many French who visit Lebanon or have relatives there.
Jaques Chirac used to be a personal friend of Raffik Harriri and attended his funeral as one of the few european leaders.

[Edited 2006-07-15 17:46:20]

soups
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Par13del (Reply 16):
merican's and what are they doing there

99% of them are from lebanese origin, or their parents are lebanese origin

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 8):
"An Israeli air raid has killed at least 13 Lebanese civilians who were fleeing southern border areas."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5182564.stm

killing FLEEING civilians...now that is DISGUSTING......  mad  ....

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 17):
Israel kills Lebanese civilians

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5182564.stm

Disgusting...absolutely disgusting.....
"Up the Irons!"

solarix

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:52 am

If they hit Syria I think this problem becomes something the USA will get involved in. Didn't Iran vow to attack Israel if they hit Syria. Getting really messy now...I'm still thinking this is the beginning of WW3.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

BMIFlyer

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 20):

Absolutely.

While I support Israel "taking on" Hizbollah, I do frown upon innocent civilians being killed however  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

soups
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:54 am

nahar newspaper confirms that the missile hit no man's land

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 22):

While I support Israel "taking on" Hizbollah, I do frown upon innocent civilians being killed however

BMIFlyer...I can see Israel needing to do something about Hezbollah...heck, even most Lebenase would like to see them go...

but killing a fly with a blowtorch is called "overkill"....

and comments such as "we will turn back the clock 20 years" is JUST as disgusting.......

There are reports (CNN) a civilian bus was hit, killing 15...it might have been part of the "fleeing" people.....

[Edited 2006-07-15 18:07:21]
"Up the Irons!"

DfwRevolution

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Solarix (Reply 21):
If they hit Syria I think this problem becomes something the USA will get involved in. Didn't Iran vow to attack Israel if they hit Syria. Getting really messy now...I'm still thinking this is the beginning of WW3.

According to Reuters, Israel has not attacked Syria. Yet...

The Israeli army said it had attacked targets only in Lebanese territory. "It's very important to understand that we have only targeted bridges and access points in Lebanon," an army spokeswoman said. "We have not bombed anything in Syria."

A Syrian official also said Israel had not attacked Syria.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...L11538533_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST.xml

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):
I can see Israel needing to do something about Hezbollah...heck, even most Lebenase would like to see them go...but killing a fly with a blowtorch is called "overkill"....

and comments such as "we will turn back the clock 20 years" is JUST as disgusting.......

I think Robert McNamara said it best: "Proportionality should be a guideline in war"

Israel has killed 96 people in a matter of days and only three are confirmed to be combatants. This started over the kidnapping of two soliders, right? It amounts to one thing: indiscriminate killing.

Israel has a right to defend itself, and I think the line of defense has been crossed....
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

scbriml

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Jap (Reply 2):
And is Israel trying to take over the entire friggin world or are they just going insane?

Plenty of folks here insist they're just defending themselves from terrorists. sarcastic 

I have no problem with any country defending itself and I'm certainly not supporting terrorists, but Israel's response here is totally out of proportion. And they wonder why young Arabs grow up hating them and are willing to die to cause Israel pain? banghead 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 25):

I think Robert McNamara said it best: "Proportionality should be a guideline in war"

checkmark 

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 26):
I have no problem with any country defending itself and I'm certainly not supporting terrorists, but Israel's response here is totally out of proportion. And they wonder why young Arabs grow up hating them and are willing to die to cause Israel pain?

couldn't of said it any better myself......now world is beginning to see the Israeli govt. for what it is.....
"Up the Irons!"

david b.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:13 am

I would like to see what they have to say about that!

and as for the second comment, that person should be hung from the nearest lamppost.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 20):

Yes, yes it is. But do you remember Kosovo? Circa 1999?

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

rjpieces

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:36 am

This started over the kidnapping of two soliders, right? It amounts to one thing: indiscriminate killing.

Have you not noticed the hundreds of missiles landing in Israel in the past few days?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 22):
While I support Israel "taking on" Hizbollah, I do frown upon innocent civilians being killed however

So do I and Israel as well, don't worry!

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

Alessandro

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:44 am

RJpieces, +700 missles has hit Israel recently, Israel claim +12300 left, so have no illusions how this will continue, 4 civilians has been killed in Israel.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

rjpieces

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 32):
RJpieces, +700 missles has hit Israel recently, Israel claim +12300 left, so have no illusions how this will continue, 4 civilians has been killed in Israel.

Yes, but Hezbollah will hopefully be deterred by the military action occuring. Somebody already posted about Hezbollah being hesitant to launch missiles at TLV out of fear of it becoming an all out war.

Beaucaire

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 30):
Have you not noticed the hundreds of missiles landing in Israel in the past few days?

They are an unfortunate but foreseeable reaction from Hezbollah...
While they have caused victims and damage,the scale of destruction is no match for the IDF campaign "Just Reward" and "Summer Rain".
Comparing Katuscha's and laser-guides bombs is a slight difference.

slider

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Solarix (Reply 21):
If they hit Syria I think this problem becomes something the USA will get involved in.

I disagree....I think we're staying way the hell out of it.

Israel has killed 96 people in a matter of days and only three are confirmed to be combatants. This started over the kidnapping of two soliders, right? It amounts to one thing: indiscriminate killing.

Israel has a right to defend itself, and I think the line of defense has been crossed....

So let's talk about the proportionality of the rest of the Arab world's attacks, hatred and attempts to destroy it since 1948? Think that's proportionate.

About time the Israelis drop the hammer bigtime and quit pussyfooting around.

And if you want to talk about proportion, how does that affect the hostage swaps in which the israelis release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners for a handful of Israelis?

Israel is sending a strong signal to Syria- keep your dog on a leash, or we'll handle it and pop you too.

Alessandro

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:56 am

I don´t know if they can hit TA? Anyways patriot missles are up in Haifa, we´ll see how effective they are? I think it´s an all out war already, 4 days is short period after 6 years of limited fighting in Sheeba farm and surroundings.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

rjpieces

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 34):
Comparing Katuscha's and laser-guides bombs is a slight difference.

Katuschas which are launched at civilian targets with the intention of killing civilians. Laser-guided bombs aimed at disrupting guerilla operations.

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 36):
I don�t know if they can hit TA?

They can't.

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 36):
Anyways patriot missles are up in Haifa, we�ll see how effective they are?

Should be right about useless against artillery rounds. Could maybe hit a FROG if they're PAC-3s.

LY744.

baroque

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 37):

Katuschas which are launched at civilian targets with the intention of killing civilians. Laser-guided bombs aimed at disrupting guerilla operations.

Suggested correction: Katuschas that are launched at targets and may kill civilians. Laser-guided bombs aimed at disrupting guerilla operations and kill civilians.

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 34):
They are an unfortunate but foreseeable reaction from Hezbollah

First of all the Hezbollah began the rocket attacks with no provocation, this was before they kidnapped the soldiers, but whatever.

And the Israeli assault on Lebanon is also "an unfortunate but foreseeable (to put it lightly!) reaction". And it goes on and on and on... Wonderful, we just completely justified anything that could ever happen in the middle east.

LY744.

RichardPrice

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 30):

Have you not noticed that a lot more civilians die in Israeli retaliations than in attacks on Israel?

But I suppose thats OK because according to some on here they are all terrorists anyway, and collective punishment is a good thing.

And Syria has denied any targets in its territory have been hit, to get back to the topic.

Beaucaire

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:20 am

http://focus.msn.de/politik/schlagzeilen?day=20060715&did=290946

Our Israeli friends have now decided to destroy the ports of Lebanon...
Attacks on the ports and docks of Beirut and Tripolis..
Source : DPA

[Edited 2006-07-15 19:20:38]

TNNH

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:31 am

israel has been responding with "proportionality" for the last six years since they left South Lebanon. "proportionality" is ineffective. the thinking here is to demonstrate to the Lebanese what kinds of problems they create for themselves when they allow terrorists to fight from their country.

TNNH

RichardPrice

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting TNNH (Reply 43):
israel has been responding with "proportionality" for the last six years since they left South Lebanon. "proportionality" is ineffective. the thinking here is to demonstrate to the Lebanese what kinds of problems they create for themselves when they allow terrorists to fight from their country.

Would this be the same israeli proportionality that led to the shelling of a UN base in Qana in 1996, killing 102 civilians?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/quana_01_19_03.htm

Would this be the same Israeli proportionality in demanding Lebanon control militias when it couldnt control the pro Israeli militia that led to the massacre of over 1000 Lebanese refugees in 1982, an attack that the Israeli judiciary directly linked to the Israeli government and held the government responsable?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...mber/17/newsid_2519000/2519637.stm

Im sorry, but while Israel does have the right to a peaceful existence, calling their actions over the years 'proportional' is utter rubbish.

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 29):

Yes, yes it is. But do you remember Kosovo? Circa 1999?

and your point is?

Quoting Slider (Reply 35):

And if you want to talk about proportion, how does that affect the hostage swaps in which the israelis release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners for a handful of Israelis?

that just goes to show how many extra kidnappings and jailing the Israelis do...

Quoting LY744 (Reply 40):

First of all the Hezbollah began the rocket attacks with no provocation, this was before they kidnapped the soldiers, but whatever.

really? no provocation? all the kidnappings, jailings as well as flying over sovereign nations?

Quoting TNNH (Reply 43):

wrong...the last 6 years in the southern lebanon area has been calm..not to mention, Lebanon was just getting on its feet, especially after a 20 year civil war and having the Syrians leave only last year.

"turning back the clock 20 years" is indicative what disproportionality Israel wants to do.....as I said.....SICK and DISGUSTING

[Edited 2006-07-15 19:48:17]
"Up the Irons!"

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 45):
and your point is?

That's not an answer. Do you or don't you?

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 45):
really? no provocation? all the kidnappings, jailings as well as flying over sovereign nations?

Kidnappings? Of who exactly? Israel left Lebanon in 2000, which is what Hezbollah was supposedely fighting for. The Hezbis continued periodic incursions into Israel trying to kill and kidnap IDF soldiers.

LY744.

EurostarVA

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:54 am

OIL BOYCOTT 2
Stay tuned...

...This is after viewing the minivan missile massacre before my eyes on TV, I conclude that Israel is driving itself into oblivion... 20 innocent children murdered in cold blood.
If there is a will, there is a way

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:59 am

In Case Israel Goes to War Against Syria.Whats Iran stand then.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 48):
In Case Israel Goes to War Against Syria.Whats Iran stand then.

On Danish television I heard a Libanese man say, that this could all be ended by one attack on Damascus- And that it should...

But Iran have said, that if Syria is hit, they would join in, now what ever that means is up for interpretation.

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman