Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M

RE: Israel Hits Syria Now

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 49):
But Iran have said, that if Syria is hit, they would join in, now what ever that means is up for interpretation

Could this be Just the Escuse GWB needs to Strike Iran.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

L-188

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):
and comments such as "we will turn back the clock 20 years" is JUST as disgusting.......

Sad when you consider that Israel could have clandestinely backed the Lebonese goverment and turned the clock back 40 years when Beruit was considered a pretty happening town.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 25):
I think Robert McNamara said it best: "Proportionality should be a guideline in war"

McNamara was an idiot who never won a war.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

avi

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 42):
Our Israeli friends have now decided to destroy the ports of Lebanon...
Attacks on the ports and docks of Beirut and Tripolis..

As I said in other thread, we destroyed radar facilities that used to hit the Israeli ship yesterday.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 45):
wrong...the last 6 years in the southern lebanon area has been calm..not to mention, Lebanon was just getting on its feet, especially after a 20 year civil war and having the Syrians leave only last year.

Yes, you right. The last 6 years in the southern Lebanon area has been calm only because we didn't response to any Hizbullah attacks on us (and there were many that left both civilians and soldiers dead). We had enough and this is what you see now.
Long live the B747

11Bravo

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 49):
But Iran have said, that if Syria is hit, they would join in, now what ever that means is up for interpretation.

I think that's a lot of big talk from little men in Tehran. I suspect any direct involvement (i.e. military action) in this conflict by Iran would result in an American military response.

Iran talks tough, but they have a very limited capacity to follow that up with any action, and like I said, I think the US would take a very dim view of that. Iran needs to mind its own business here and stay out of this.
WhaleJets Rule!

fspilot747

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting Solarix (Reply 21):
If they hit Syria I think this problem becomes something the USA will get involved in.

Not as long as Israel has the U.S.A. by the balls. They own us.

Beaucaire

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 54):

That at least is a fair statement-comming from an american who seems to have looked a litle bit further than CNN reporting....
To be honest -we are all "owned" by either lobby groups,religious fanatics or other influencial entities -and that has nothing to do with conspiracy theories.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 22):
While I support Israel "taking on" Hizbollah, I do frown upon innocent civilians being killed however

checkmark 

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 50):

Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

[Edited 2006-07-15 20:59:34]

zrb2

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:00 am

Hezbollah is just going to move more arms and top figures behind civilians. They know the more Israel has to destory civilian areas to get to them the better publicity it is for Hezbollah. Israel has generally adhered to the International rules for years. They deserve to rid themselves of this Hezbollah and Hamas problem. Just remember, Israel aren't the one's that would kill Americans and blow up our cafes and buses. They aren't trying to take over the world. These terrorist groups would do it in a hearbeat if given the chance.

scbriml

I fear all Israel is achieving is creating another generation of "Israel haters". And so the cycle will continue ad infinitum...
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rjpieces

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 55):
To be honest -we are all "owned" by either lobby groups,religious fanatics or other influencial entities -and that has nothing to do with conspiracy theories.

Oh please, what nonsense. Please explain to me how most Americans are owned by lobby groups, religious fanatics, or other "influencial entities" whatever that means.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

zrb2

Hezbollah is just going to move more arms and top figures behind civilians. They know the more Israel has to destory civilian areas to get to them the better publicity it is for Hezbollah. Israel has generally adhered to the International rules for years. They deserve to rid themselves of this Hezbollah and Hamas problem. Just remember, Israel aren't the one's that would kill Americans and blow up our cafes and buses. They aren't trying to take over the world. These terrorist groups would do it in a hearbeat if given the chance.

ly7e7

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 34):
They are an unfortunate but foreseeable reaction from Hezbollah...

So is the destruction of Lebanese infrastructre , to prevent its usage by Hezbollah and so are the deaths of those civilians who are covering hezbollah command centers underneath their house, hosting rocket in their family houses and etc.

Israel gave an ultimatum to Syria , and don't be surprised to see Syria attacked in the next few days.

[Edited 2006-07-15 21:05:18]
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 53):
I think that's a lot of big talk from little men in Tehran. I suspect any direct involvement (i.e. military action) in this conflict by Iran would result in an American military response.

Um is that something we would want?
This could turn much worse, really quick if that happened...

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 54):

Israel has the USA by the balls? Talk about porportions!

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

jacobin777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 46):
That's not an answer. Do you or don't you?

care to enlighten A.net?

Kidnappings? Of who exactly? Israel left Lebanon in 2000, which is what Hezbollah was supposedely fighting for. The Hezbis continued periodic incursions into Israel trying to kill and kidnap IDF soldiers.

Israel doesn't kidnap and assissinate? The Hezbollah response just doesn't have to do with Hezbollah going into Israel and taking two soldiers.....it has to do with the entire region-including Gaza, etc....you should know that..Hezbollah is just a pawn in the system...Israel is fully aware of that...

If Israel wanted to attack/defeat Hezbollah in southern Lebanon....fine, I can live with that....instead, they just come out and start detroying Lebanon without impunity....a "warning" of sorts would have helped....and yet once again, the killing of innocent civilians and "collective punishment" continues...which no less plays into the hands of Hezbollah...

Quoting Avi (Reply 52):

Yes, you right. The last 6 years in the southern Lebanon area has been calm only because we didn't response to any Hizbullah attacks on us (and there were many that left both civilians and soldiers dead). We had enough and this is what you see now.

see above...
"Up the Irons!"

ly7e7

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:13 am

Jacobin, this is not collective punishment. This is a war and as in any war infrastructure takes the first hit.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

RichardPrice

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:17 am

The UK has just dispatched 2 warships, the HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark, to 'make ready' for operations off the coast of Lebanon. I hope to god that just means evacuation of foreign nationals.

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 64):
care to enlighten A.net?

??? anyways... Kosovo had it's share of military fuck ups too. I seem to recall at least one destroyed convoy of refugees, courtesy of NATO bombs, not to mention a passenger train struck as it was crossing a bridge. Again, courtesy of NATO bombs. I wonder if you were as disgusted then as you are now. I know I am. Just don't go around implying that Israel is going to all these great lengths to kill refugees and innocent civilians.

At any rate, war is like that, fucked up. I wish there weren't any wars. And let me tell you, if it was up to me I would certainly make sure never to start one... Then again, my name isn't Nasrallah.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 64):
Israel doesn't kidnap and assissinate?

YOU brought that up! So YOU tell me! Tell me who they kidnapped in Lebanon ever since they left. Why don't YOU tell me why the Hezbollah needs to exist, 6 years after they supposedely accomplished their goal of kicking Israel out of Lebanon?!

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

cfalk

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 25):
I think Robert McNamara said it best: "Proportionality should be a guideline in war"

Which brought us wonderful results like Vietnam and a dozen other never-ending conflicts.

McNamara is an idiot. The way you end a war is by using all the force you can in order to make the other guy scream for mercy. If you don't all you have is a never-ending cycle of tit-for-tat violence.

My advice to Israel:

If you detect Hezbollah rockets or mortars firing from anywhere, including a lebanese village, call up your artillery and LEVEL the area. After a few demonstrations of that sort, Lebanese villagers will themselves kill any Hezbollah members who try to set up shop in their town, to protect themselves.

If you find out that Hezbollah has a base in a certain area - an HQ or simply a meeting place. Drop leaflets onto the area warning everyone to get out in 24 hours, and then level the place. Once again, after a few such demonstrations, Hezbollah will be extremely unwelcome.

Your mission should be to educate the Lebanese - to teach them that allowing Hezbollah within their midst is extremely hazerdous to their health. Right now, the Lebanese are more afraid of Hezbollah reprisals if their presence is resisted. They should be more afraid of the IDF, and what would happen if they do not resist Hezbollah.

The common enemy of Lebenon and Israel is Hezbollah. The day the Lebanese people realize this and fight them, they will have a much better future with their neighbors to the south.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

jutes85

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 59):
I fear all Israel is achieving is creating another generation of "Israel haters". And so the cycle will continue ad infinitum...

People love to have exuses to hate the Israeli's, simple as that. They seem to be the scapegoat of the planet, because godforbid they should they defend themselves against their enemies.

Israel would not exist today if they followed all of the resolutions passed by the UN, Israel is a country that makes its own decisions on national security.
nothing

11Bravo

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 63):
Um is that something we would want?

No. Don't confuse my comment with advocacy, approval, or enthusiasm. I was just suggesting that if Iran escalates this crisis into a general regional war that the United States would almost certainly view that as unacceptable.
WhaleJets Rule!

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 70):
No. Don't confuse my comment with advocacy, approval, or enthusiasm. I was just suggesting that if Iran escalates this crisis into a general regional war that the United States would almost certainly view that as unacceptable.

Ah ok sorry, this whole forum is on the edge, guess I am being sucked in at times as well Big grin

Sowy mate.

Boaz.

advancedkid

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:36 am

Regarding this:

Kidnappings? Of who exactly? Israel left Lebanon in 2000, which is what Hezbollah was supposedely fighting for. The Hezbis continued periodic incursions into Israel trying to kill and kidnap IDF soldiers.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HG15Ak02.html
"It all started on July 12 when Israel troops were ambushed on Lebanon's side of the border with Israel. Hezbollah, which commands the Lebanese south, immediately seized on their crossing. They arrested two Israeli soldiers, killed eight Israelis and wounded over 20 in attacks inside Israeli territory."

and regarding the kidnapped PA cabinet ministers:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/732528.html

ISRAEL PLANNED CAPTURE OF PALESTINIAN GOVERNMENT LONG BEFORE ALLEGED KIDNAPPING

"The detention of Hamas parliamentarians in the early hours of Thursday morning had been planned several weeks ago and received approval from Mazuz on Wednesday. "

I guess the entire thing is pre-planned by Israel and okayed
by our puppet guys in D.C.
Yes, it sure is WW3 now.

Israel doesn't have a clearly defined borders and by the way doesn't have a constitution. Yet receives from the US around $3Bn/year more than any other state and is a nuclear power.
Israel has been problematic and arguable in the region ever since it's foundation in 1948.
I guess there won't ever be peace in the ME unless either Israel has to go or all her neighnors destroyed.
Otherwise there's no more hope for peace there ;-(

Advanced

LY744

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 am

Quoting Advancedkid (Reply 72):
"It all started on July 12 when Israel troops were ambushed on Lebanon's side of the border with Israel. Hezbollah, which commands the Lebanese south, immediately seized on their crossing. They arrested two Israeli soldiers, killed eight Israelis and wounded over 20 in attacks inside Israeli territory."

Um, ok.... You in the business of making my points for me now? The part where it says "Israel troops were ambushed on Lebanon's side of the border" appears to be either a very poor translation or... something else. The Hezbollah indeed began their attack by firing from inside Lebanese territory on Israeli troops on Israel's side of the ("poorly defined", riiiiiight  Yeah sure) border.

and regarding the kidnapped PA cabinet ministers:

Jacob and I are clearly talking about Lebanon here, are we not?

I guess the entire thing is pre-planned by Israel and okayed
by our puppet guys in D.C.

Way to jump to conclusions.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

RichardPrice

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 68):

If you detect Hezbollah rockets or mortars firing from anywhere, including a lebanese village, call up your artillery and LEVEL the area. After a few demonstrations of that sort, Lebanese villagers will themselves kill any Hezbollah members who try to set up shop in their town, to protect themselves.

Not to make any comparisons between Israel and Nazis (so dont try to reply like I am) but the SS did precisely what you are suggesting Israel do - counter resistence in an area with complete levelling of the area, including villages and all their inhabitants.

You are basically suggesting that Israel become the very people that persecuted Jews.

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:47 am

and by the way doesn't have a constitutio

Eh what?

Israel has been problematic and arguable in the region ever since it's foundation in 1948.
I guess there won't ever be peace in the ME unless either Israel has to go or all her neighnors destroyed.
Otherwise there's no more hope for peace there ;-(

So you seriously suggest, that Israel is removed? a la Ahmedinejad way?

Hows about this: The Arabs leave Israel alone?? I know it would be too much to ask for, but really it is the best suggestion I can come up with.

Boaz.

jutes85

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:48 am

Yeah, Isreal is the real problem, being the only real stable democracy in that region for the past 50 years. I guess they should do nothing and kneel to the terrorists, or perhaps just march straight into the sea, as many of the people on this forum would like to see happen.
nothing

flymatt2bermud

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 66):
I hope to god that just means evacuation of foreign nationals.

My neighbor's 16 year old is at camp in that region with 5,000 others. They chartered several 747's to get them there. My guess is insurance won't cover those 747's to go back and pick them up. It was supposed to be a 5 week tour.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

raffik

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 75):
and by the way doesn't have a constitutio

Eh what?

Well Boaz, sorry to shatter your illusions, Israel does not have a written constitution, even though according to the Proclamation of Independence a constituent assembly should have prepared a constitution by October 1, 1948- hmm, they're a bit late on that one!

Quoting Windshear (Reply 75):
Hows about this: The Arabs leave Israel alone??

No. Israel are the people that don't belong there- sorry to state it so blatantly, but until they find a nice little stretch of land, far far far away from anyone they can piss off, there will be problems on the Levant.
- Alec

RichardPrice

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 76):
Yeah, Isreal is the real problem, being the only real stable democracy in that region for the past 50 years. I guess they should do nothing and kneel to the terrorists, or perhaps just march straight into the sea, as many of the people on this forum would like to see happen.

No the problem is not Israel, its the idiots that thought they could create a new nation state in an area which hasnt seen stability for about a thousand years and have no problems whatsoever.

That means the British and the UN. Who in their right minds would create a new nation for people not exactly native to the area from the lands that have been warred over for generations? This wasnt a long term solution, it was a method of bundling up all the problems at hand at the end of WW2 and hoping some future time would sort it out.

Israel would have been better off made up of land in Europe, but that would never happen - it was easier for the British and the UN to give away land that didnt belong to them.

Oroka

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:23 am

I have read that Iranian troops were in Lebanon helping fire the Iranian provided missiles... this is very bad if true. If Iran is assisting the Hezbollah, that would be enough to justify a strike on Iran. If Iran gets into this, I cant see the US staying out of it. Not saying the US is looking for a excuse to take out Iran's nuclear capabilities, but I cant see a legit opportunity being allowed to slip away. Defence of a ally is reason enough.

http://wfrv.com/topstories/topstories_story_196081831.html

[Edited 2006-07-15 22:27:29]

windshear

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 78):
Well Boaz, sorry to shatter your illusions, Israel does not have a written constitution

Half truths as always...

http://www.jcpa.org/dje/articles/const-intro-93.htm
http://www.jcpa.org/dje/index-cgp.htm

No. Israel are the people that don't belong there- sorry to state it so blatantly, but until they find a nice little stretch of land, far far far away from anyone they can piss off, there will be problems on the Levant.

I have no words... What so ever...

Boaz.

cfalk

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 74):
Not to make any comparisons between Israel and Nazis (so dont try to reply like I am) but the SS did precisely what you are suggesting Israel do - counter resistence in an area with complete levelling of the area, including villages and all their inhabitants.

You are basically suggesting that Israel become the very people that persecuted Jews.

The US, British, Russian and French occupation troops did exactly the same thing during the occupation of Germany. There was indeed a resistance movement for 2-3 years after the war by die-hard nazis, and they were defeated by ruthlessness. The Americans would bring in artillery any time a sniper shot at them. The french would do it, well, because they had a beef with the Germans (wonder why). And the Russians were particularly prolific in their administration of such punishment. It was said that there were no virgins in Eastern Germany older than 12 after the Russians arrived.

You want to end a war? You have to force the other side to realize that it is useless to resist. Otherwise, it never ends. This goes for Iraq as well.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

KSYR

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:05 am

Wrong! Every reputable news source (BBC, CNN, NBC, AP) has stated that the soldiers were attacked on the Israeli side of the border. An act of war by Lebanon.

And that is precisely why Lebanon is getting its clock rolled back right now. Israel will never go away, and Hezbollah and Hamas somehow can't seem to grasp that concept. The Israelis aren't the ones who are losing here...I suggest anyone subscribing to the strategy that Israel can be beat militarily by any Arab nation needs to get their head examined.

jutes85

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:35 am

This statement sums up most of the Arabs' point of view on Israel. This is exactly why Israel is launching an offensive into Lebanon right now, I just hope that those who share the same point of view as you do, get a bomb dropped on their house.
nothing

joness0154

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:44 am

Brainwashing, anyone? Its amazing what they'll teach kids over there nowadays. Its people like you why there is no peace in that region.

I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:54 am

Just lost all respect for you. What a stupid comment. That's all I can say.

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 84):

This statement sums up most of the Arabs' point of view on Israel. This is exactly why Israel is launching an offensive into Lebanon right now, I just hope that those who share the same point of view as you do, get a bomb dropped on their house.

checkmark 

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 85):

Brainwashing, anyone? Its amazing what they'll teach kids over there nowadays. Its people like you why there is no peace in that region.

checkmark 

[Edited 2006-07-15 23:55:50]

par13del

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:56 am

Ok, I'm missing something here, my reading of the Bible was that Jews and Arabs were from the "middle east".

I will admit that the UN and Britain created the new Jewish State, but was not a nation of the Jews mentioned in the bible?

par13del

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:10 am

Going over to the other thread, they have posters there who are dealing with the historical facts, and the questions I asked above have been answered there. The thread header concerns the Conflict, sorry I did not copy the link.

damirc

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:10 am

This statement sums up most of the Arabs' point of view on Israel. This is exactly why Israel is launching an offensive into Lebanon right now,

No, your statement shows your belief that Lebanon had it coming and this is the perfect excuse. Your statement shows no empathy whatsoever for the suffering of others (in this case, the Lebanese).

Understand the man - he's angry at Israel because of the attack on Lebanon. Just as you are angry when a terrorist attack takes place in Israel.

D.

[Edited 2006-07-16 00:19:23]

raffik

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:20 am

Hmm- if and when Israel decide to attack the UK, we will come back to that

The Israelis have used brute force since day one, despite them creating their country on donated land! Their contempt for the Arabs, the massacres and mass exodus they have created in the region is the cause for the problems.

No, it's actually Israel's actions against Lebanese civillians- something that almost every Israeli user on this forum disregards and ignores (and attempts to justify)

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 86):
Just lost all respect for you. What a stupid comment. That's all I can say.

It's a good thing I don't seek you respect

The Israeli people deserve a safe life, but they need to understand that the Lebanese do. We are a soverign country also and we deserve the right to protect our borders also.

Israeli war planes have violated Lebanese borders on an almost daily basis since they ended their 22 year illegal occupation. Their boats have been up and down our coasts and Israeli soldiers have violated our land borders and Hizbullah and the Lebanese government has done nothing- please remember that. This is provocation. I believe this was planned- to coincide with the Lebanese summer season and to maximise the destructive impact.

http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/22f...af5328525716c0067b083!OpenDocument

http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/bb6...56fa785256b7b00523bca!OpenDocument
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0605/S00221.htm

http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/011026/2001102601.html

http://aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=8546

And you even question why the Arabs have a problem with Israel?
1) They are trapping people in their own country
2) They have trapped hundreds of thousands of tourists
3) They have targeted civillians
4) They have targeted civillian infrastructure
5) They refuse to a ceasefire

Your assumption that people are brain washed into hating Israel at a young age is incorrect- it only takes a half decently educated person to turn on the news and make their own mind up on what's happening, and sadly in your case, Israel does not have much support for what it is inflicting on it's neighbours.

Death count now 132 - 128 civillians, 4 members of Hizbullah. Well done Israel!
- Alec

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 90):

The Israeli people deserve a safe life, but they need to understand that the Lebanese do. We are a soverign country also and we deserve the right to protect our borders also.

If you had written this to begin with instead, you would have avoided a lot of nasty comments.

rjpieces

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 90):
Their contempt for the Arabs, the massacres and mass exodus they have created in the region is the cause for the problems.

Yeah, because the millions of Arab versus Arab deaths would not have happened if Israel didn't exist.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

raffik

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 91):
If you had written this to begin with instead, you would have avoided a lot of nasty comments

I would never say that they didn't deserve peace and safety. They do, we all do. But the point is this: These attacks on Beirut are certain to fuel hatred towards the Israelis! Therefore, we will see a vicious circle.

I think Hizbullah has been extremely bad for Lebanon but the Lebanese feel that it is Hizbullah who are the only people able to defend Lebanon, because the Lebanese government do not invest in military like other countries in the area. They don't have jet fighters or naval vessels. Without Hizbullah, Lebanon has no resistance whatsoever and people do not like to feel vulnerable.

With so many civillian deaths in Lebanon, some Lebanese support the retaliation that Hizbullah is giving.

I worry that if Hizbullah disarms, then Israel will invade and Lebanon will be even more helpless.

I am sorry if my comments offended in the previous posts, but this is a country I saw destroyed, then rebuilt and now it is slowly being destroyed again. And it isn't only a negative impact on Lebanon, but it is so on the whole region. Including Israel.

I think that Israel should agree to a ceasefire and both sides should sign a peace treaty and the chances of this happening are so much easier now with Syria out of Lebanon. The Lebanese government has accepted that Hizbullah is causing problems for the country (as we have seen) BUT, it still stands that what Israel has done will make this difficult because the Lebanese people would not want to elect a government who have signed a peace treaty with people who have caused so much destruction to the country. There could be another civil war.

Negotiations are really the only way to stop the bloodshed. France and the UK have sent some of their naval ships to Beirut. My father, hopefully, will be evacuated next week out of there.

There are two sides to this story, but sometimes you have to accept and understand the other person's side. I have understood yours- and I do hope you will understand all the reasons why the Lebanese feel so upset.
- Alec

TomTurner

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 34):
While they have caused victims and damage,the scale of destruction is no match for the IDF campaign "Just Reward" and "Summer Rain".
Comparing Katuscha's and laser-guides bombs is a slight difference.

Perhaps this is something Israel's tormentors should've considered. They may have started a war. If that was their intention, all the more reason the war should not go according to their desires.

No reason for the IDF to downgrade.

"Proportional responses", in this case, only ensures futher aggression.

APFPilot1985

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 am

Raffik how do you defend the actions of the terrorists at the Munich Olympics? The Israelis have been persecuted for years because they were able to take a useless piece of land and make it into a prosperous nation.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

raffik

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:02 am

I haven't defended the terrorists at the Munich Olympics. I have said that we need to broker a peace deal...
- Alec

SFOMEX

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 13):
don't think Israel hit Syria today, but I would not be surprised at all to see the IAF visiting Damascus

Neither would I, but I hope Israel will realize that it is the rational, powerful part of this mess and hence it will shown some restraint.

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 47):
20 innocent children murdered in cold blood

Sorry EurostarVA, but I don't believe the bus was hit on purpose. Of course, it's still horrendous but if you want to talk about murdering children in cold blood I would suggest you to remember that school in Russia attacked by Moslem Chechens two years ago.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 50):

The last thing the USA army needs is getting in another hell like Iraq. Mr. Bush might be a warmonger, but he knows very well his limits.

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 62):
Israel gave an ultimatum to Syria , and don't be surprised to see Syria attacked in the next few days.

Haaretz is reporting that there is not such an ultimatum.

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 65):
Jacobin, this is not collective punishment. This is a war and as in any war infrastructure takes the first hit.

Indeed. Yet, most of us still hope that Israel would show some self-control. They are sending Lebanon back to the civil war era and that is immoral.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 68):
If you detect Hezbollah rockets or mortars firing from anywhere, including a Lebanese village, call up your artillery and LEVEL the area. After a few demonstrations of that sort, Lebanese villagers will themselves kill any Hezbollah members who try to set up shop in their town, to protect themselves.

If you find out that Hezbollah has a base in a certain area - an HQ or simply a meeting place. Drop leaflets onto the area warning everyone to get out in 24 hours, and then level the place. Once again, after a few such demonstrations, Hezbollah will be extremely unwelcome.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 82):
The US, British, Russian and French occupation troops did exactly the same thing during the occupation of Germany. There was indeed a resistance movement for 2-3 years after the war by die-hard nazis, and they were defeated by ruthlessness. The Americans would bring in artillery any time a sniper shot at them. The french would do it, well, because they had a beef with the Germans (wonder why). And the Russians were particularly prolific in their administration of such punishment. It was said that there were no virgins in Eastern Germany older than 12 after the Russians arrived.

That's why humankind made some rules so even in war we could avoid the atrocities you are happily sponsoring here. If you are willing to kill civilians in purpose just for the sake of teaching them a lesson, you are not better than Bin Laden who murdered 3000 civilians to "teach us a lesson".
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

APFPilot1985

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 96):
I have said that we need to broker a peace deal...

no you said the Israelis need to leave. You have accused them of causing the problems in the area.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Pulkovokiwi

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:08 am

Can I suggest Diego Garcia or Tristan da Cunha?
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!