Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ua777222
Topic Author

Thought A Speeding Ticket Was Bad, Try A Felony..

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:48 am

Ok, so I got a very rude wake up today. The police, from three different departments (Sheriff, Orinda, Walnut Creek) in order from smallest to biggest. I'm still in my boxers and wanted my Cops debut to be in style so I asked to change into something else prior to talking. I saw the papers in the Officer's hands and knew exactly what it was about. About 5 months ago I had ordered two suits from a local tailor. The bill had come up to just around $4500 for the two items. Well, when it came due to pick up my suits my wallet had been taken (a police report had been filed) and the only credit cards I had were in the name of my father who had been the primary on the account (they send out the primary and then any additional card holders there after).

Because the account was new again the credit limit had been set at $5,000.00 and due to the outstanding balance I opted to purchase only one and pick the next one up in the following weeks, an agreement that the owner had no contest to. Well I guess they were having issues with my card (which was in my father's name) as he had yet to add me as an authorized signer. So we sat on the phone for probably 15-20min's getting it sorted out and then when all was said and done, I had left with one suit. Now at this point they had one of my suits (that I had already purchased a few months prior) and one of the new ones that was getting tailored.

About a week later I was running late for an appointment and stopped by to ask if I could get my suit, that I had already paid for, for my appointment. I was told by the daughter of the owner that this was ok but soon after was confronted by the store owner (a small Greek guy) that if I wanted my 'fucking suit back that I come back with $2229.99 in cash and clear my debt with the store because he wasn't going to wait 15min on the phone again' and concluded with calling me a 'little shit.'

Needless to say I left without my suits. Well since then, I have opted not to pick up either of my suits as I don't feel that as a customer I should be told how and when I should purchase something, even after he agreed to the fact that I could come back later (when I had come in to purchase the first suit the other two were not done yet).

Well I guess he filed charges against me for Negligence of Debt and False Imprisonment of a Debut for a Retailer. I was told by the police that if I did not clear the debt in 72 hours that they would file Felony charges against me and that the owner had 'every right' to speak to me in the manner in which he had.

Not only am I livid that he would have the balls to call the police and have them come to my home at 8am on a Saturday Morning, but that the police actually found that to be a valid case, let alone a felony.

Any advise from a police or legal official?

I will clear the debt today as well.

Thanks,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

jwenting

RE: Thought A Speeding Ticket Was Bad, Try A Felony..

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:53 am

You can try to fight the charge, but I doubt you'd get very far.

Say goodbye to any chance to ever get a license to own a firearm, or to ever hold a security clearance.
I wish I were flying

doug_or

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:54 am

sounds like you need a lawyer.
When in doubt, one B pump off

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:57 am

$2250 suits?

Quoting UA777222 (Thread starter):
concluded with calling me a 'little shit.'

Oh, I just can't believe that!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

slider

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:01 am

Call a lawyer immediately. IMMEDIATELY!!!

Cadet57

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:03 am

Hows is this your fault due to the credit card co's messup? Unless I read this wrong, You diddnt do anything wrong..
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

xjramper

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 3):

Work at the airport for a few days. Then you will believe it.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

9VSPO

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:07 am

The store owner shouldn't have called you a little shit but he did have cause to be upset. It's your fault that you didn't have clearance to use your fathers card and you should have checked this first. Can you afford to pay the debt in the 72 hours?

pilotsmoe

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 1):
You can try to fight the charge, but I doubt you'd get very far.

Say goodbye to any chance to ever get a license to own a firearm, or to ever hold a security clearance.

He probably won't be tried as an adult, so it won't show on his record. The bill is his dad's responsibility because he is under 18.

ua777222
Topic Author

RE: Thought A Speeding Ticket Was Bad, Try A Felon

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:32 am

$2250 suits?
I own a company and fit a 36S which are impossible to find on hand, which this store carries a select few with, and they just happen to be the type I like.

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 8):

He probably won't be tried as an adult, so it won't show on his record. The bill is his dad's responsibility because he is under 18.

No the bill is mine. He is the primary on the account but I pay the bill at the end of the month.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):
It's your fault that you didn't have clearance to use your fathers card and you should have checked this first. Can you afford to pay the debt in the 72 hours?
The card carries my company name. I was on the last cards as I am any card with my company name on it. I wasn't aware that you had to call in every new card as well. I thought it would have stood on the account. Yes I can afford the debt in 72 hours.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not but if you knew the area I lived in you'd believe it. This is a small place that carries extremely nice suits all around but only serves towards rich white people with no real taste for clothes and all like to talk about how much money they're making and how better they are than everyone else whereas there's me who doesn't buy into the whole talk about what other's don't need to know game.

Who knows, I'm just kinda tired of all the bs that comes with being underage. Mind you the police here are the type to keep a car running just in case someone speeds and all break for 2 hours at one of the 5 Starbucks that are within a 1 block radius of each other here in town. I hate where I live and the people who live here. Mind you the police don't like kids here either.

Matt

[Edited 2006-07-15 19:34:45]

Cadet57

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 9):
I own a company and fit a 36S which are impossible to find on hand,

Dude, your profile says 16 year old student.... What company do you own? Furthermore what type of company is it to where you need 5k in suits?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 10):

Dude, your profile says 16 year old student.... What company do you own? Furthermore what type of company is it to where you need 5k in suits?

That is correct. I own a company that does R&D for larger companies. I have an odd body and other suits don't fit me.

Thanks,

Matt

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 11):
I have an odd body and other suits don't fit me.

So thats a justification for buying a $2500 suit? Give me a break. You won't get much sympathy from me as i detest that type of opulnet and wasteful spending. Spending $2500 on a suit is unjustifiiable in nearly every sense, and particularly for you.

ZakHH

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:57 am

My guess is that you probably will not have a right to retire from the purchase of the suits (that were already tailored especially for you), even if the seller called you names later on.

Plus, the thing with the credcards may be understandable, but is still within your responsibility towards the seller. Btw, why was there no other way than to pay by credcard? Bank transfer? Cheque? Cash? You said there was a week in between the 2 incidents - doesn't sound to me like you were really trying hard to pay.

So my advise is: pay, get the suits, never buy there again. And next time, be prepared to pay what you bought, no matter what funny things may happen. Your problems are understandable, and I don't blame you for anything, but they were your problems, and you made them become the seller's problems.

I hate it when other people make their problems my problems. It is not my duty to solve other people's problems. I am willing to help whenever friendly asked, but I am allergic to "funny stories", no matter if true or not. I would not call my customer names (that's why I'd recommend not to buy there anymore), but I won't hear any excuses when it comes to pay the bills. No matter how good they are.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 13):
Plus, the thing with the credcards may be understandable, but is still within your responsibility towards the seller. Btw, why was there no other way than to pay by credcard? Bank transfer? Cheque? Cash? You said there was a week in between the 2 incidents - doesn't sound to me like you were really trying hard to pay.

So my advise is: pay, get the suits, never buy there again. And next time, be prepared to pay what you bought, no matter what funny things may happen. Your problems are understandable, and I don't blame you for anything, but they were your problems, and you made them become the seller's problems.

I hate it when other people make their problems my problems. It is not my duty to solve other people's problems. I am willing to help whenever friendly asked, but I am allergic to "funny stories", no matter if true or not. I would not call my customer names (that's why I'd recommend not to buy there anymore), but I won't hear any excuses when it comes to pay the bills. No matter how good they are.

It wasn't that I wasn't willing to pay. It was that the suit I had purchased first was done. Came back for mine which I had paid for (2nd new suit was a day or so away from being done) and was yelled at. I wasn't going to go out of my way to make the guy happy and as a minor it's hell to write off business expenses that are made with cash, esp at $2229.99 on my taxes. So I just blew him off. I've been in contact with his daughter but every time he gets his balls in a knot and starts yelling at me, so I just tell him it's not a professional conversation and hang up.

Matt

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 14):
So I just blew him off. I've been in contact with his daughter but every time he gets his balls in a knot and starts yelling at me, so I just tell him it's not a professional conversation and hang up.

And you wonder why you have this situation. Maybe you need to work on your people skills, Mr. Doogie Howser of the business world.

AC320

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:10 am

In all honesty, this is not the best place to get such advice, contact a lawyer and go from there.
fuddle duddle

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 15):
And you wonder why you have this situation. Maybe you need to work on your people skills, Mr. Doogie Howser of the business world.

I don't believe in getting into a fight in a public environment over a dispute. Efforts have been made in the past to have someone else pick them up for me and provide payment, denied by the owner, bank transfer, denied by the owner, he wants cash and he wants me there and I have a feeling he wants to chew me out for it as well. Which I can take but haven't had the time to deal with it. Regardless of how you feel about my actions, his idea to call the police and tell them that I've been neglectful of a debt is bs as I've talked to his daughter on a 2 week basis.

Matt

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 16):
In all honesty, this is not the best place to get such advice, contact a lawyer and go from there.

I already have an attorney on retainer who is going to deal with it once formal charges can be presented. This is all 'we will' or 'if you don't.' He's already talked to the owner who's cussed him out as well. Just an old bitter guy. And these were 2 of now 7 I have purchased from them. The first 5 without any errors or fights which surprises me that he thinks it's alright to yell at a customer that's purchased a lot from him in the past.

Matt

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 17):
is idea to call the police and tell them that I've been neglectful of a debt is bs as I've talked to his daughter on a 2 week basis.

I've been in contact with his daughter but every time

Is his daughter an employee of his business?

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 19):
Is his daughter an employee of his business?

Yes and she's in charge of any payments including orders, debts, and overall book keeper for the store. She said she wasn't aware that he had filed charges against me when I talked to her today.

I get the ok from her and then the call 5min later of the irate little Greek man swearing me out. This has happened now 4 times.

Thanks,

Matt

[Edited 2006-07-15 20:20:25]

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 20):
Yes and she's in charge of any payments including orders, debts, and overall book keeper for the store. She said she wasn't aware that he had filed charges against me when I talked to her today.

Alright, that makes some things less sketchy. Well regardless how i feel about that kind of purchase, I do hope you can clear this up before it'll really hurt.

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 21):
Well regardless how i feel about that kind of purchase, I do hope you can clear this up before it'll really hurt.

I'm leaving in 20min to go and deal with this. I will bitch him out about thinking that it's alright to send 4 cops to my house (I live on a dead-end street and the neighbors already think I'm sketch enough because I don't talk about what I do so they see 4 cops at my door and then tomorrow it'll be that I was busted for 20lbs of crack found under my house which was actually stolen from an elderly man who's body was also found next to my pot-growing establishment which was next door to all of my crack, knowing this neighborhood) but won't push the issue past that. I guess the only thing that wins is my credit.

Matt

LAS757300

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:27 am

I wasn't going to go out of my way to make the guy happy and as a minor it's hell to write off business expenses that are made with cash, esp at $2229.99 on my taxes.

Clothing suitable for every day wear is not deductible. Period.

I have zero sympathy for you as it relates to your legal problems. If some 16 year old punk failed to pay for a custom made suit, I'd be a little upset. Pay the store owner.
KMSP

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Las757300 (Reply 23):
Clothing suitable for every day wear is not deductible. Period.

I have zero sympathy for you as it relates to your legal problems. If some 16 year old punk failed to pay for a custom made suit, I'd be a little upset. Pay the store owner.

The clothing is used for a company I'm currently under contract for and clothing is on a reimbursement basis which needs to be filed with both them and my business expenses for their account. As in if I weren't working for them I wouldn't be out buying $2200.00 suits.

Again, I never failed to pay anything nor was I not willing to accept the account that was due, I wasn't going to get into a fight with the owner over a pity issue. You adults get so anise towards us 'punk kids'

Matt

[Edited 2006-07-15 20:31:36]

Bobster2

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:43 am

due to the outstanding balance I opted to purchase only one

So why didn't you pay the outstanding balance? It shouldn't have taken more than a week to get the payment credited to your account. When you went back two weeks later the card should have had a high enough limit.

And, if your wallet was stolen, why didn't you get a replacement card? Does it take them that long?
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

9VSPO

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:45 am

I'm just curious, but what exactly is it you / your parents do where a 16-20 year old student can afford 7 x $2200 suits? I don't mean it in a bad way I'm just nosy.  Smile

ua777222
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 26):
I'm just curious, but what exactly is it you / your parents do where a 16-20 year old student can afford 7 x $2200 suits? I don't mean it in a bad way I'm just nosy. Smile

I'm actually emancipated. My parents are both successful cooperate America people.They both work for 2 major fortune 500 companies. I'm self-employedd.

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 25):
So why didn't you pay the outstanding balance? It shouldn't have taken more than a week to get the payment credited to your account. When you went back two weeks later the card should have had a high enough limit.

And, if your wallet was stolen, why didn't you get a replacement card? Does it take them that long?

I ordered a replacement card but it came with canceling the other card as well as I had both of them. They sent the primary to me and after that was opened they sent me my card with my name. I went back to take care of the debt and was yelled at. That's when all of this madness started.

Thanks,

Matt

boeingfever777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 9):
No the bill is mine. He is the primary on the account but I pay the bill at the end of the month.

Does not matter if you fail to pay the bill your father is liable.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 15):

LMAO... I somehow have a hard time beleving some of this.

Quoting AC320 (Reply 16):

So true... I second that!

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 18):
I already have an attorney on retainer who is going to deal with it once formal charges can be presented.

Again hard to believe that a 16yr old has some R&D job that requires him to wear 2000$+ suits and hold a lawyer on retainer.

Also you say you are going to settle this today? Then their would be no issue for a lawyer or charges etc.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

nosedive

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:59 am

This reminds me, don't you owe me a lens?

AirCop

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 am

Sheriff, Orinda, Walnut Creek) in

If I remember right Orinda contracts with the Contra Costa Sheriff.

Next time think remember the American Express ad; No pre-set spending limit. No offense you might be a little over your head for a sixteen year old.

NoUFO

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 12):
You won't get much sympathy from me as i detest that type of opulnet and wasteful spending. Spending $2500 on a suit is unjustifiiable in nearly every sense, and particularly for you.

I think this is something up for the thread starter to deceide.
Apparently, you did something wrong, and so did the tailor. Talk to your solicitor.
I support the right to arm bears

trekster

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 24):
The clothing is used for a company I'm currently under contract for and clothing is on a reimbursement basis which needs to be filed with both them and my business expenses for their account. As in if I weren't working for them I wouldn't be out buying $2200.00 suits

Ummm
What company makes the people they employ shell out over $2000 on a suit.
Thats just stupid. I see you say you are under contract to them at the moment, so its just a tempory thing. I dont get that at all. They will pay you the money back to keep a suit you will use for working for them for a little bit. They get nowt, you get a $2000 suit.

ODD, and, well......
Where does the time go???

greasespot

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:02 am

Hmmmmm i smel fish...

Since when do the police get involved in a civil matter? If you do not pay he has to sue you.....

Plus if it is true the guy does not send the cops...He reports it and the Police decide how many police officers are sent...

Plus for a civil matter only one police department would come...NOt 3 of them....

good try ....thanks for the laugh.
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

9VSPO

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 27):
I'm self-employedd.

Doing what exactly?

Newark777

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 am

This is getting more and more entertaining to read.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

nitrohelper

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm

The alarm is going off on my MooPoo filter. wideeyed  7- $2000 suits eyepopping 
Maybe he is doing R&D on something that needs to to be smoked? 10-4 on the civil matter,cops chasing suits ? Don't they have to talk to his daddy or mommy because he is a minor?

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:32 pm

That is correct. I own a company that does R&D for larger companies

What possible R&D could you, a 16 year old, be doing for larger company, that they couldn't do themselves with fully qualified in house staff?

Quoting Trekster (Reply 32):
They will pay you the money back to keep a suit you will use for working for them for a little bit. They get nowt, you get a $2000 suit.

ODD, and, well......

Odd? No. Smelly - definately. If any of this is true then I'll be very VERY surprised.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

777236ER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 pm

It's a civil matter, what are the police from three different departments doing getting involved? And the police decided to do a dawn-raid type thing?

You're a 16 year old businessman who carries out R&D for 'much larger firms', yet you can't successfully handle buying two suits without being sworn at and having charges filed against you?

Hmm.
Your bone's got a little machine

777236ER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Goodbye, Thank You All So Very Much! (by UA777222 Aug 27 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID917346 RE: I Think My Girlfriend Is Bipolar (by UA777222 Oct 20 2005 in Non Aviation) Family Issues Starting To Tear Me Apart, Help Pls (by UA777222 Jul 27 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID891004

Attention seeker much.
Your bone's got a little machine

NIKV69

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:18 pm

I got a headache reading that story.

If you are going to buy expensive clothes, at least be able to pay for them.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Queso

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
Attention seeker much.

I believe the term commonly used for people like this is "troll".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

liedetectors

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:50 pm

and other suits don't fit me.

Are these suits custom made and therefore the deal is final and you must pay for the suit? If not, cancel the sale with him and get it else where.

Try and get the total you owe in cash. And go to him and say you will buy the suits in full in cash if he drops the charge, and let that be the end of it. Then go find another taylor.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):
If you are going to buy expensive clothes, at least be able to pay for them

Exactly.
If it was said by us, then it must be true.

9VSPO

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 38):
You're a 16 year old businessman who carries out R&D for 'much larger firms'

He's researching new toys for Fisher Price.  Wink

canuckpaxguy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 am

I don't feel that as a customer I should be told how and when I should purchase something

Whoa big guy. You DID purchase the suits! You entered into an agreement and the guy bought the materials and spent time making/tailoring the suits. HE'S out of pocket. You made a commitment to purchase and you haven't held up your end of the bargain.

He's not telling you how or when to purchase something. You already did that. He's telling you he wants his money. If you were that "Short-Greek-man", and were out $4500, would YOU hand over the goods to a guy who would appear to be having trouble paying for his purchases?

I didn't think so.

As my Mom used to say, "If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Grow up and be a man. Your post makes you seem like a spoiled brat with Daddy's credit card.

G

7LBAC111

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 44):
UA777222

Maybe UA777222 is the US equivalent of our very own and recently departed Orion737?

rotfl 

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

mham001

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:04 am

I didn't know 16 yr olds were able to enter into legal contracts.

If you could truly affor $2,200 suits, you could afford to get your legal advice from somewhere besides the internet.

boeingfever777

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 44):
Grow up and be a man. Your post makes you seem like a spoiled brat with Daddy's credit card.

so true... rotfl   rotfl 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

slider

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:12 am

So I just blew him off.

How mature.

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 27):
I'm actually emancipated. My parents are both successful cooperate America people.They both work for 2 major fortune 500 companies. I'm self-employedd.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 33):
Hmmmmm i smel fish...

Indeed- so how does such an emancipated minor have his Daddy's credit card anyhow?

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
Goodbye, Thank You All So Very Much! (by UA777222 Aug 27 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID917346
RE: I Think My Girlfriend Is Bipolar (by UA777222 Oct 20 2005 in Non Aviation)
Family Issues Starting To Tear Me Apart, Help Pls (by UA777222 Jul 27 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID891004

Attention seeker much.

Now it all makes sense!! I forgot about those jewels....thanks for refreshing our memories.

L-188

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 20):
I get the ok from her and then the call 5min later of the irate little Greek man swearing me out. This has happened now 4 times

Well that isn't smart on his part, if your lawyer and you were smart enough to tape these conversations, then you can demonstrate he is the one being unreasonable, while you are in good faith attempting to resolve the situation

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 46):
I didn't know 16 yr olds were able to enter into legal contracts.

You know, I sort of recall a similar rule about the dangers of contracting with minors when I took that lone buisness law course in college.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.