soups
Topic Author

Evacuation From Lebanon

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:48 pm

As the evacuations are taking part as we speak, what are each country doing for its own citizens.

Britain evacuated about 40 citizens out of Beirut by helicopter on Sunday night and has dispatched two warships in preparation for a possible larger-scale evacuation. The Foreign Office estimates there are about 10,000 Britons in Lebanon.

The United States has flown out 20 Americans, including non-essential embassy staff and people with medical needs, by helicopter. It says it has chartered a ship with a capacity of 750, which is due to start ferrying evacuees to Cyprus on Tuesday. Citizens have been told to prepare to leave.

France, which has 20,000 citizens in the country, has sent a Greek 1,000-passenger ferry from Cyprus to pick up French nationals and other Europeans. It arrived in Beirut on Monday.

Australia , says three busloads of its 25,000 citizens living in Lebanon crossed into Syria on Monday. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said he hoped a chartered 600-person ferry would be operating by Wednesday.

The Canadian foreign minister has said the government is putting commercial ships in place to evacuate some of up to 40,000 Canadian citizens by sea.

Denmark has evacuated 700 of about 2,300 Danish residents in Lebanon via Damascus, and is shuttling about 10 buses a day to the Syrian capital.

Some 1,300 Swedish expatriates have been driven to Syria, most to Aleppo in chartered buses. Nearly 5,000 Swedes are thought to have been living in Lebanon.

Spain has evacuated 126 people, mainly Spaniards, by plane to Madrid. A second operation to fly out more of an estimated 600 Spaniards in Lebanon is reportedly planned.

Italy evacuated 410 people, mostly Italians, by bus to Syria on Saturday. Most have been flown to Cyprus. An Italian warship has also been moved into waters near Beirut, Reuters reports, to help evacuate an estimated 1,000 citizens in Lebanon.

Poland has said about 150 of its nationals would leave Beirut for the Syrian border in a convoy of buses, and is due to leave on Tuesday morning.

Germany says is has helped 200 of its 1,100 nationals in Lebanon leave in convoys to Syria and plans to make arrangements for another 500.

Greece said a warship would leave for Lebanon on Sunday, to return 100 Greeks - 50 have already arrived in Athens having travelled via Damascus.

The United Arab Emirates is sending six aircraft to bring home citizens who have fled to Syria.

About 50 Brazilian tourists and workers are believed to be travelling by bus to Adana in Turkey, where an air force plane is expected to pick them up and fly them home.

Thirty-one Austrian nationals were evacuated by bus from Lebanon to Syria over the weekend, along with other Europeans. There are an estimated 120 Austrians living in Lebanon.

Turkey said 32 of its nationals have crossed the Turkish/Syrian border by bus.

Morocco is evacuating several dozen nationals on C130 transport planes.

Russia is evacuating 74 Russians and citizens of other former Soviet Republics from the West Bank and Gaza on a special flight from Jordan, while plans are being made to evacuate 1,400 from Lebanon.

The governments of 30,000 Filipinos , 1,600 Ukrainians, 1,000 Romanians , 600 Dutch , 500 Bulgarians , 160 Finns and 40 New Zealanders are also making contingency plans for those who wish to leave Lebanon

Nigeria is assisiting other african nations (with no consular ties in beirut) with the evacuation from Ghana, an estimate 100 Nigerian nationals and 10,000 Ghanaians are said to be living in the lebanon
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

VHVXB

RE: Evacuation From Lebanon

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Soups (Thread starter):
Australia ,

Some are also leaving with the help of the British warships. Like you mentioned Soups the Aust. Govt. is planning to charter a ship to get some of the Australian stuck in Lebanon out. They will be continuing to get people out via Syria on buses

[Edited 2006-07-18 09:09:01]

soups
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 1):
Some are also leaving with the help of the British warships. Like you mentioned Soups the Aust. Govt. is planning to charter a ship to get some of the Australian stuck in Lebanon out. They will be continuing to get people out via Syria on buses

any Australian casualties? was reading an article about 1000s of ozzies stuck in the south and not being able to move north

VHVXB

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting Soups (Reply 2):
any Australian casualties? was reading an article about 1000s of ozzies stuck in the south and not being able to move north

Well the local news stations and media outlets here have not reported anything about and Australian causalities. But there is concern about dual citizens there who may have to serve for the Lebanese armed forces. Other than that nothing new. I'll post it as soon as something comes up

soups
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 3):
ut dual citizens there who may have to serve for the Lebanese armed forces.

Under the lebanese law, if they have been residing outside lebanon for more than 3 years (i think changed recently to one) you are excluded

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:11 pm

makes you wonder how much Israel gives a shit about anyone other then itself..the least they should've done in the first place was allow safe passage for the thousands of foreigners to a 3rd country.

VHVXB

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 5):
makes you wonder how much Israel gives a shit about anyone other then itself..the least they should've done in the first place was allow safe passage for the thousands of foreigners to a 3rd country.

Yeah not even a ceasefire to evacuate some of the foreigners which are unfortuneltly stuck there because of the Isrealis.
4 more busloads of australian are leaving Lebanon via Syria. I will try to find a link for it.

[Edited 2006-07-18 11:30:50]

Banco

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Britain evacuated about 40 citizens out of Beirut by helicopter on Sunday night and has dispatched two warships in preparation for a possible larger-scale evacuation

A further four Royal Navy warships are now also on the way to the region.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

mhodgson

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:24 pm

An Air Atlanta plane is also positioning to Damascus from MAN, presumably to help the evacuation.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Banco

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 1):
Some are also leaving with the help of the British warships.

New Zealand has issued a formal request to the UK to assist with the evacuation of New Zealand citizens. It's a long-standing reciprocal agreement, and no doubt Australia will make use of it as well - as the British do when Australia has a greater presence in a particular region.

VHVXB

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 9):
It's a long-standing reciprocal agreement, and no doubt Australia will make use of it as well - as the British do when Australia has a greater presence in a particular region.

Yeah and we thank them for their help  thumbsup 

soups
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:50 am

Any idea what is going on about the Sri Lankan evacuation? There must be at least half a million sri lankan in Lebanon

DYflyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:02 am

Norway has had 10 buses to Damascus. Also around 100 Norwegians are on a ship to Cyprus in cooperation with the French government. Around 100 Norwegians are still believed to be inn Lebanon.

On the other hand i just heard on the news that 2 ships chartered by the Swedish government has been denied passage to Lebanon by Israel. No reason has been given to the Swedish government.
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

Alessandro

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:03 am

DYflyer, quite obvious, Sweden been provoking Israel and Israel blasted Sweden as the worst country in Europe not too long ago.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

rolfen

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 4):

Under the lebanese law, if they have been residing outside lebanon for more than 3 years (i think changed recently to one) you are excluded

Also, since 2005, those who have completed more then 2 years of tertiary studies are definitively exempted, but I'm not if it also applies to those studying outside the country.
In any case, the military service is being phased out.
rolf

bongo

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:04 am

Colombia, Venezuela and Uruguay are trying to do it in a joint cooperation, don´t really know how and how many people, but what I know is that there are a lot of buses with all three flags picking up COL-VEN and URU citizens...good luck.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

soups
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:19 am

There are a lot of colombian, brazilian and venezuelan in lebanon

rolfen

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:52 am

'bout that evacuation:

Americans can't board a ship unless they've signed a contract agreeing to repay the U.S. government !

Funny.
The US are still donating military aid to israel but it cant afford to pay for evacuating their own citizens out of israel's way.

scratchchin 
rolf

dl021

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 17):
'bout that evacuation:

Americans can't board a ship unless they've signed a contract agreeing to repay the U.S. government !

Funny.
The US are still donating military aid to israel but it cant afford to pay for evacuating their own citizens out of israel's way.

It's a law that was put in place years ago...during a previous administration. It's unfortunate, but if you read the passport it tells you what your rights are and that if transport is arranged for you to return home you are required to reimburse the government at some future point. They aren't required to pay in advance, and anyone who whines about this should wonder how the rest of us will feel for their decision to travel someplace where they have to be evacuated from....it's like living in a flood plain and expecting compensation when the flooding that is guaranteed to happen occurs. oh, wait....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

soups
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:09 am

1st time i ever hear this! this is a disgrace to the USA, instead of managinf a safe passage for its citizens home... it's does that with a price! do they accept mastercard by any chance?
this needs a thread on its own lol

Gman94

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:27 am

On the BBC news tonight they reported that HMS Gloucester was allowed to dock in Beirut for a short time by the Israelis, the ship is now enroute to Cyprus with 180 Brits all of which were the in most need, pregnant women etc.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

soups
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 am

yeah watched that on ITV as well

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 20):
On the BBC news tonight they reported that HMS Gloucester was allowed to dock in Beirut for a short time by the Israelis, the ship is now enroute to Cyprus with 180 Brits all of which were the in most need, pregnant women etc.

Will the brits be forwaded a bill as well?

VHVXB

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:43 am

The Australian government has organised a charter ferry that will take the Australian people from Beirut to Turkey. A second ship run is planned, to sail on Friday, and maybe a third on Saturday. DFAT also reports that some Australians will be leaving on a ship oragnised by the Canadians. People are still continuing to leave on buses via Syria. Another 2 busloads have left Lebanon.

QANTAS077

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 22):
The Australian government has organised a charter ferry that will take the Australian people from Beirut to Turkey. A second ship run is planned, to sail on Friday, and maybe a third on Saturday. DFAT also reports that some Australians will be leaving on a ship oragnised by the Canadians. People are still continuing to leave on buses via Syria. Another 2 busloads have left Lebanon.

that's all well and good but the IDF has flatout refused a ceasefire to the South where atleast 400 Australian families are stuck.

VHVXB

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 23):
that's all well and good but the IDF has flatout refused a ceasefire to the South where atleast 400 Australian families are stuck.

I understand considering Israel put them in this situation.

Bobster2

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:07 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
....it's like living in a flood plain and expecting compensation when the flooding that is guaranteed to happen occurs. oh, wait....

Oh, wait ...  Smile  Smile

I was half finished typing a reply when I saw the "Oh, wait ...."

Nevermind.  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

ba747yyz

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:17 am

What the H*LL are 40-50000 Canadians doing in Lebanon, like in reality how many of these people lived in Canada for any length of time? In all seriousness if you live in Canada, 50000 people will not move to lebannon and their can't be that many tourists. Who are these people? We have more people in Lebanon than all the other countries combined almost. I just seriously wonder who these people are, can anybody tell me? Because I seriously suspect most of these people lived in Canada for 4 years became citizens then left, because not enough Canadian borns go their and not a lot of Canadian tourists go to lebanon.
Oh well we should just be lucky it isn't the UK that is falling, or 400 000 of we'd have to get 400000 people out.

dl021

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 19):
1st time i ever hear this! this is a disgrace to the USA, instead of managinf a safe passage for its citizens home... it's does that with a price! do they accept mastercard by any chance?

I'm assuming you read the post I left after you posted. No one is being denied transport home, just being asked to reimburse the government at some point in the future for the cost of repatriation/evacuation.

This is not a real issue. Deflecting the blame for the problems by finding another reason to attack the US is pointless.

All the nations involved are taking some heat from the frantic families of people they want out of Lebanon, but how many of these people will accept any of the blame for their own situation?

I hope my friends get their families and selves out of this in one piece. I don't mind getting them to pay for it later so I don't have to.

Sonic99

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 am

300 French nationals were left on the docks in Beirut due to a hasty departure of the Greek ferry "Iera Petra". The reason was that Israel refused to guarantee safe passage of any ships in the area following nightfall. (source: AFP)

The government of the US and its agents will not refuse evacuation for its citizens. The evacuees, however, once in a safe area are required to sign a promisory note (like an IOU) which obliges evacuees to pay full transportation costs based on commercial rates (airfare or otherwise). I read that a particular congressman (can't remember who) called on the current administration to waive the requirements of the law as it applies for this case only. I'll try to find some more info (not quite sure if this is accurate but worth mentioning nonetheless).

[Edited 2006-07-19 04:50:54]

Skyway1

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:56 am

Gee whiz....are there actually any Lebanese people in Lebanon?
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

dl021

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 29):
Gee whiz....are there actually any Lebanese people in Lebanon?

Without being a smartass I'll venture to guess that a significant number of these foreign nationals are dual nationals with Lebanese parentage or origin who moved away during the civil war, and returned home when the shooting stopped, or are visiting now. It's not like the expatriate American community of Paris where they all came from here and maintain their national US identity.

Skyway1

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 30):
Without being a smartass I'll venture to guess that a significant number of these foreign nationals are dual nationals with Lebanese parentage or origin who moved away during the civil war, and returned home when the shooting stopped, or are visiting now. It's not like the expatriate American community of Paris where they all came from here and maintain their national US identity.

Makes sense I guess. It just seems odd that such a small country contains so many foreign nationals...
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Banco

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 31):
It just seems odd that such a small country contains so many foreign nationals...

Lebanon was just beginning to build a tourism market over the last few years.

rolfen

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 31):
It just seems odd that such a small country contains so many foreign nationals...

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 26):
What the H*LL are 40-50000 Canadians doing in Lebanon

Coz it's a beautiful country

http://www.destinationlebanon.gov.lb/eng/NatureReserveVirtualTours.asp

http://www.downtownbeirut.com/FaresJ...mmal/solidere__downtown_beirut.htm

Tourism was just picking up. Over 1.5 millions tourists were expected this year. Now tourism will be damaged for several years.
rolf

VHVXB

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:30 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=115177
Many australians are still stuck many of these people would be there if Israel had implemented some sort of ceasefire.

QANTAS077

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 33):
Tourism was just picking up. Over 1.5 millions tourists were expected this year. Now tourism will be damaged for several years.

exactly what Israel wants...don't worry, your country will re-build and be the Paris of the middle east again and i'll gladly visit, hezbollah or not.

rjpieces

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 35):
exactly what Israel wants...don't worry, your country will re-build and be the Paris of the middle east again and i'll gladly visit, hezbollah or not.

With all due respect, if you are 26-36, how do you have memories of when Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East? I know it was rebuilt after the Civil War and I've seen many picture threads that BA posted, but I don't see how you can refer the Beirut of the past ten years--under Syrian occupation, with massive tensions under the surface, etc--as the same as it was in its heyday.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

rolfen

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 36):
With all due respect, if you are 26-36, how do you have memories of when Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East? I know it was rebuilt after the Civil War and I've seen many picture threads that BA posted, but I don't see how you can refer the Beirut of the past ten years--under Syrian occupation, with massive tensions under the surface, etc--as the same as it was in its heyday.

And what do you know about it?
The numbers talk for themselves, over 1.5 million tourists expected this year. And that was this year, after all the car bombs!

Syrian occupation doesnt keep you from having a gorgeous city and great people and so much more things.
rolf

yowza

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:58 pm

Spain has evacuated 126 people, mainly Spaniards, by plane to Madrid.

I assume they were transported to Syria on the ground before flying as airport in Lebanon are not operational.

Quoting Soups (Reply 19):

This is common to a number of countries. My sister was living in JKT during the Aussie embassy bombings and certain staff were put up in hotels in "low risk" areas by the embassy staff and received a bill after.

YOWza

yooyoo

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 26):
What the H*LL are 40-50000 Canadians doing in Lebanon, like in reality how many of these people lived in Canada for any length of time? In all seriousness if you live in Canada, 50000 people will not move to lebannon and their can't be that many tourists

Most are conveniently Canadian.  mad 

Think we will get a thank you letter for paying for their evacuation?  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

yowza

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 39):
Most are conveniently Canadian. mad

Think we will get a thank you letter for paying for their evacuation? Wink

Convenient or not, if they are a citizen and we have an obligation to evacuate them, so your cynicism smacks of racism, albeit quite mild.

As for the patronizing "will we get a thank you letter bit" that smacks of "I'm hard working and I don't want my tax dollars wasted blah blah blah." You should know that in foreign theatres of operation although the Canadian government will assist in evacuations and the like, those that receive help are required to reimburse the government for services. In fact they sign a ITP, an Intent To Repay Document that will go to collections upon the first failure to repay.

Get your stuff straight before you post, if not... well you sound like a jackass.

YOWza

yooyoo

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 am

Sorry YOWza for sounding so skeptical, i just find it very difficult that 50,000 Canadians are in Lebanon. Of those 50,000 10% are vacationing / visiting so i have heard on the radio.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 40):
those that receive help are required to reimburse the government for services. In fact they sign a ITP, an Intent To Repay Document that will go to collections upon the first failure to repay.

I did not know that. Thank you for the information.

well you sound like a jackass

I don't understand why this sort of thing needs to be said. Comon.

if they are a citizen and we have an obligation to evacuate them

I agree.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

yowza

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 41):
I don't understand why this sort of thing needs to be said. Comon.

I apologize, it was out of line.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 41):
Of those 50,000 10% are vacationing / visiting so i have heard on the radio.

I could quite easily believe this number. Lebanese(-Canadians) tend to have large families and if you think of a family being 5 people, a thousand families is really not all that much. If you've ever been to Ottawa or Montreal you'll know there is a very very large Lebanese-Canadian population.

So between families being back to visit relatives on summer holidays and (Lebanese-)Canadians going back to work/invest in Lebanon this is a very realistic number.

YOWza

QANTAS077

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 36):
With all due respect, if you are 26-36, how do you have memories of when Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East?

never said i did, just coining a phrase so to speak, but i know many people who've been to Lebanon & Beirut in the halcyon day's and all remarked on how beautiful and how much like Paris it was. I don't believe for a second that it won't happen again...I'm pretty sure you know exactly what i was getting at with my reply.

levent

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 pm

The news mentioned by name the cruise ship on which around 1000 Americans were being evacuated from Beirut. I'm sure they'd find out anyway, but wouldn't telling the ship's name on live tv be an incentive for a terrorist group to target the vessel, were they looking for a target with many Americans? Or are these ships escorted by warships too?

piercey

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:38 pm

'bout that evacuation:

Heh, speaking of evacs, how's your dad?

As far as billing for evacs go, I don't see the problem. It's not like they leave you on the dock if you can't pay. At the same time, from all the media harp, I wouldn't be surprised if the billings are cancelled, and then a month later we harp on our gov't because we're paying for it. Welcome to America.

btw, when the US citizens land in Cyprus, saying they want to go back to the US, is it their problem or is the gov't chartering a few planes.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.