mdsh00
Topic Author

Bush To Veto Senate Bill On Stem Cell Research

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:19 am

So Congress finally got some balls to go after expanded funding for stem cell reseach and who gets in the way? Yes our wonderful president. Good job Mr. President, for setting the US behind most of the world in stem cell research. And people wonder why the US is falling behind in innovation these days  Yeah sure.

At least California puts money into this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13903040/

gunsontheroof

RE: Bush To Veto Senate Bill On Stem Cell Research

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:22 am

The lives of unborn children take precedent over those of living, sick people. What part of this don't you understand?  sarcastic 

Can it please be 2008?
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

IFEMaster

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 1):
The lives of unborn children take precedent over those of living, sick people.

I'm wondering, if this is the stand that you would take on this, what defines one life being more important than another?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

gunsontheroof

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):

I'm wondering, if this is the stand that you would take on this, what defines one life being more important than another?

Note my sarcasm. I'm much more concerned about living, breathing human beings than I am about embryos.

aloges

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:39 am

The lives of unborn children take precedent over those of living, sick people.

How exactly is an accumulation of stem cells an embryo? If stem cell research is the same as "murdering babies", then boiling a fertilised egg (it happens) is the same as cooking a chick alive.

Edit:

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 3):
Note my sarcasm.

good to see  Smile

[Edited 2006-07-18 23:40:57]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

rjpieces

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:46 am

What an absolute waste of his first veto. Truly pathetic...I wish the Senate would overturn it but they don't even have enough votes.

On a positive note this is a great political issue for Democrats...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

searpqx

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 5):
What an absolute waste of his first veto. Truly pathetic...

Yep - he can't muster a veto to curb the run away spending we're seeing, but by golly, we're not going to spend a dime on research using cells that are about to be destroyed!  sarcastic 
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

deltagator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:58 am

What an absolute waste of his first veto.

Well let's not count our chickens before they hatch. He hasn't used a veto yet so who knows. He is "The Decider" so perhaps he'll decide to not veto the bill.

"Hey Blair! What I need to do is veto this shit bill. Can't everyone just understand that?"
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AirCop

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:53 am

If he was smart; he would just let the bill go into law with signature (10days) that way he can save face with the extreme right wing.

travelin man

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:59 am

Just when I thought I couldn't respect him any less, Bush pulls out his veto pen FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SIX YEARS to veto a stem cell research bill.

He's such an ass.

Can it please be 2008?

Seriously.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 8):
If he was smart

Operative phrase.

WestWing

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 am

It's done. He vetoed it. This round of "religious right" v/s "medical science" goes to the former.
If you are interested, here's a story about Karl Rove spouting some nonscience.

Edit: One more editorial really worth a reading! Here is an excerpt from it:

"An administration that has shown itself over and over again to have trouble telling the truth is now telling Americans in wheelchairs, those with damaged hearts, babies who are diabetic and those left immobile by Parkinsonism not to worry. The president, whose grasp of science left him unable to identify creationism as a fundamentally religious idea, and his trusty sidekick Karl Rove, rarely seen in a white lab coat but who knows something about rats, having been in Washington for some time now, claim to know best which medical research is most likely to benefit diseased Americans in the future."

[Edited 2006-07-19 21:07:09]
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

deltagator

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:49 am

How freaking annoying! First veto in 6 years and he uses it on this one? Is Ralph Reed pulling the strings on this one?

How about vetoing some of those ridiculous spending bills? Oh yeah, the GOP loves to spend as much damn money as Dems now so nevermind.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

searpqx

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:13 am

Thanks for the editorials - they just point out again how actual science and research have been manipulated by this administration to support their moral and more importantly, political (because that's what this decision is - pandering to the extreme wing), agendas. I realize every administration has done it to some extent, but none have been as blatent and obviously biased as this.

Oh well, I'm sure there's a spending bill to sign to take his mind off this joke.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

travelin man

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:00 am

My sister is one of the millions of people who could potentially benefit from stem cell research (she has spinobifida).

I am honestly so angry right now I don't know what to say. Basically Bush said: "Millions of Americans, go fu#% yourselves. My religious beliefs are more important than your well-being."

Thank God California (and other states & nations) are not following this guy's lead.

Tom in NO

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 4):
If stem cell research is the same as "murdering babies", then boiling a fertilised egg (it happens) is the same as cooking a chick alive.

Precisely.....lately I've been having more and more problems with Bush and his decisions, ideologies, etc (Katrina basically got the ball rolling), then I think about who the opponent was in 2004, then I begin wishing that BOTH parties could have given us better choices in "04.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

A332

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:07 am

Just another item to add to Bush's big list of dumbass moments which will form his reputation in history... America's WORST president ever.

What a loser.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Falcon84

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:08 am

Does he use his first veto to curb runaway spending? Or something REALLY important?

No, he sniffs the asses of the religious right, and makes a decision base on his religious beliefs and personal beliefs, not what's good and right for many Americans.

And, some other nation will step up into the lead on this science, and will lead the world, instead of the U.S leading the world into possible medical breakthroughs.

And thanks to Congress for not having enough guts to override this idiotic veto.
Work Right, Fly Hard

mrmeangenes

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:10 am

Yep. He vetoed the use of federal funds to conduct embryonic stem cell research-exactly as expected.

If someone is interested in conducting this research,there is nothing to stop them from doing so-or presumably to stop people in other countries from doing so.

Incidentally,media hype to the contrary,this field of research has NOT been as promising as predicted.
gene

mdsh00
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 17):
Yep. He vetoed the use of federal funds to conduct embryonic stem cell research-exactly as expected.

If someone is interested in conducting this research,there is nothing to stop them from doing so-or presumably to stop people in other countries from doing so.

Incidentally,media hype to the contrary,this field of research has NOT been as promising as predicted.

I think most people are aware that he blocked Federal funding. Don't assume everyone here is stupid. The point still remains that private funding can't match the level of funding that the federal government can provide.

Again, I still like that California is willing to tell Bush to screw himself and provide state funding for this cause.

jaysit

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:21 am

On a positive note this is a great political issue for Democrats...

There have been lots of really great political issues for Democrats.

But once again, they'll stand around looking like bleating goats. Harry Reid loves bending over for Karl Rove (and Cheney) while he's searching for Nancy Pelosi's balls, who in turn is too busy searching for her Nordstrom's charge card.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):
Oh yeah, the GOP loves to spend as much damn money as Dems now so nevermind.

Or more.
Pork is tasty.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

travelin man

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:26 am

Bush philosophy:
Using federal $$$ to conduct research on embryos that were going to be thrown out anyway = morally wrong.
Using federal $$$ to blow people up = quite all right.

Worst. President. Ever.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:56 am

Have stem cells been shown to actually do anything beneficial at this point?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Tom in NO

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 17):
,this field of research has NOT been as promising as predicted.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 21):
Have stem cells been shown to actually do anything beneficial at this point?

Whether it has or it hasn't, does that mean we just quit research altogether? If there's even the smallest possibility of finding cures for cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's etc, I vote we continue looking.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

maury

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 am

The President, playing to his most loyal and most natural audience. Must be an uncomfortable fit in the Grand Old Party for some of y'all. Quite cozy for others.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 22):
Whether it has or it hasn't, does that mean we just quit research altogether? If there's even the smallest possibility of finding cures for cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's etc, I vote we continue looking.

There's a small chance that the lint in my dryer will cure any of those diseases. I'm just wondering how promising stem cells really are, and I don't think I'm going to get a straight answer from either side soon. Either way, stem cell research has been going on and will continue in spite of this veto. The only thing that won't happen is the government won't fund it, so people who don't support it don't have to worry about their tax dollars going to "destroying human life" and those that do support it are welcome to donate to any of the umpteen private research labs that are pursuing stem cell research. It's really the best solution--no one has to support anything they oppose, and the private sector is better at just about anything, especially potentially profitable cures, than the government.
E pur si muove -Galileo

deltagator

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:42 am

While stem cells may not be the be all-end all and it's not like nothing will happen with research due to private funding it is the fact he picked this to veto versus the tons of idiotic spending bills that have crossed his desk. Party of small government...my ass!

sw733

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:48 am

I basically cried myself to sleep last night when I heard he would likely veto this bill this morning...my dad has alzheimers, and I was hoping against odds that somehow this would pass, and we'd be on our ways to a possible cure...if not for my dad, for others, maybe me in the future. Despite being a former political science major, I stay very private about my feelings for politicians...if there is a political thread on A.net, I will read it all, but never chime in - I don't get into those things. But today, my feelings about the Bush White House just became very personal, and they are not nice feelings. I am very sad, very scared, and very upset. More than that, I am very angry. George Bush has suddenly become someone I cant stand to even look at - his face makes me sick, his face makes me sad...

Queso

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:16 am

I am about as Conservative Republican as you can get and I don't agree with President Bush on this issue.

Just wanted to throw in my  twocents  and let some of you know that not all of us agree with him.

gunsontheroof

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 27):
I am about as Conservative Republican as you can get and I don't agree with President Bush on this issue.

Just wanted to throw in my twocents and let some of you know that not all of us agree with him.

That's what's so incredibly frustrating about this veto. Bush has voices from all sides of the political spectrum pleading with him not to stop this bill in its tracks, but their words are falling on deaf ears. It's fairly clear to me that Bush is turning a blind eye to the demands of the majority, only further galvanizing my opinion that the man has little interest in true democracy.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 25):
it is the fact he picked this to veto versus the tons of idiotic spending bills that have crossed his desk. Party of small government...my ass!

That is what is most galling to me. I'm not worried about the lack of government funding for stem cell research at all.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
It's really the best solution--no one has to support anything they oppose, and the private sector is better at just about anything, especially potentially profitable cures, than the government.

You're wrong on that one.

The majority of basic research in medicine is done either at the NIH or NCI, or at academic and research institutions funded largely by federal grants, which is where stem cell research still is. Back in the mid-90s, I worked at both the PHS and then a small biotech company on cell and tissue therapy (essentially using genetically transformed and cultured immune cells to kill cancers), and we got into stem cell work largely because of grants from the NIH. As late as 2001, the research community had a very naive view of what a stem cell was and how it could be isolated and cultivated (back in 1996, we thought they were cells that could be characterized by 2 simple markers). It turns out that it was much more difficult than originally understood, and that is why the level of research has been amped up.

The private sector is excellent at taking that basic research and applying it clinically (but so is the NIH in some instances). Under Federal Technology transfer Acts, the private sector can avail of the research created by public institutions, which they can then translate into clinically successful drugs. Research conducted in the private sector is very "clinical result" oriented (as it should be) and is also driven by the potential for profits (which once again, it should be). And while Merck and Pfizer are multibillion dollar companies that do a fair bit of basic research, they can't chase after a therapy or a drug target ad infinitum, as the profit model is basically 10 years from inception to market, and because the R&D, etc. for a new therapy now runs about $ 500 million. So the upshot is that they can't afford to do basic research - the kind that is done at the NIH, Harvard, MIT, UCBerkeley, JHU, etc., all top research institutions that are the beneficiaries of public grants - because they'd go broke.

There's a small chance that the lint in my dryer will cure any of those diseases. I'm just wondering how promising stem cells really are, and I don't think I'm going to get a straight answer from either side soon

Unfortunately, none of the world's leading scientific lights have commented on the lint in your hair dryer, which appears to have sprouted from your brain. The same persons have presented evidence, rationale, and arguments based on solid science that further research into stem cells may offer incredible insight in how to treat diseases. If you wish to learn more (other than the horse manure tossed about by the likes of Tony Snow and that leading beacon of science, Ann Coulter) visit http://stemcells.nih.gov/. Scientific research, especially stem cell research which is still in its early phase, is slow going. By putting up a giant barrier to such research, especially at institutions most equipped to handle it, he is basically forcing it to creak to a halt.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:12 am

"This bill would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others," Bush said Wednesday afternoon. "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect. So I vetoed it."

"These boys and girls are not spare parts," he said of the children in the audience. "They remind us of what is lost when embryos are destroyed in the name of research. They remind us that we all begin our lives as a small collection of cells."

Source: CNN.com

Did he really say "boys and girls?" That is really stupid.

It's like me smashing a piece of iron ore with a hammer and exclaiming, "There! I totalled a perfectly good car!"

Mark

[Edited 2006-07-20 02:16:42]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 30):
he is basically forcing it to creak to a halt.

Creak to a halt?

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6542

"The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are contributing to the research as well. More than 60 U.S. and international companies are pursuing some form of research or therapeutic product development involving stem cells. These include corporate giants such as Johnson & Johnson, General Electric and Novartis. One company alone, Geron Corp., has spent more than twice as much as the federal government on stem-cell research. New companies are entering the field as well. At a meeting this year in San Francisco, it was estimated that as many as 50 U.S. venture-capital firms are prepared to invest in stem-cell research companies. This comes on the heels of $102 million in venture-capital funding for the stem-cell industry in 2005. All this corporate research should not be surprising, given that some estimates suggest that there will be a $10 billion market for stem-cell technologies by 2010. "
E pur si muove -Galileo

MUWarriors

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 am

So many things about this veto bug me, but that is par for the course with this President. Do people not realize that these embryos are going to be destroyed one way or another? Most are fertilized eggs which fertility people used for fertility treatment and do not need, and won't be using. They are no longer destined to become people it was either research or bio-hazard.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 31):

"These boys and girls are not spare parts," he said of the children in the audience. "They remind us of what is lost when embryos are destroyed in the name of research. They remind us that we all begin our lives as a small collection of cells."

Wow. Another gem from our President, it would be funny if it weren't such a serious topic.

There's a small chance that the lint in my dryer will cure any of those diseases.

What is the purpose of a statement like this? It's nothing more than an appeal to the absurd, and adds nothing to the debate. Sorry, I just hate it when silly statements like this are made.

S12PPL

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:31 pm

I love our President.

First Open Mic Night at the G8 Summit, now this.

God I love being an American  Yeah sure
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

fxramper

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
So Congress finally got some balls to go after expanded funding for stem cell reseach and who gets in the way? Yes our wonderful president.

The bill was in the House and since Bush took office he's said over and over he'd veto any legislation related to stem-cell research. This isn't a surprise to Congress.  no 

This was purely a political vote, trying to rally support for the upcoming national elections.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 22):
does that mean we just quit research altogether

footinmouth  quit?  confused  This only means that there won't be any federally funded research towards stem-cell development. There are hundreds of private companies doing research in this area of science. Why burden an already limited national budget with this?

mrmeangenes

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:55 pm

As somebody else expressed it yesterday: Almost NONE of the major medical research breakthroughs were achieved via federal funding.

Private industry is more than well-enough financed and equipped-and staffed to handle this line of inquiry - and, if they are hesitant about it,it is because they KNOW embryonic stem cell research has been grossly over-hyped for political gain.

Five will get you ten most of those weeping and gnashing their teeth don't give a lab rat's ass about a line of research that will-in effect-wind up with poor women selling embryos to the labs, so that wealthy men and women can remain wrinkle-free a few years longer.
gene

AirCop

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 pm

National funding for research; brings to mind all the advancements that have come as the result of the space program, almost 100% government funded.

Continental

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 36):
so that wealthy men and women can remain wrinkle-free a few years longer.

Sarcasm at it's worst. Stem cell research results will go to people that really need it.

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
what defines one life being more important than another

Interesting question, since the policy towards exterminating criminals (i.e. death penalty) is not up for discussion, apparently. Somehow it does not make sense: you (he) protect(s) unborn cells (not even embryos yet) but has no problem in killing born cells (people).

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):
No, he sniffs the asses of the religious right, and makes a decision base on his religious beliefs and personal beliefs, not what's good and right for many Americans

See above. It just not add, either you protect life as a whole (unborn and born, guilty or not-guilty) or not. I do not want to turn this into a discussion about the death penalty, I just think there is no coherency.
Sometimes events like this make Galileo's research seem very actual. Maybe for some of these people it would still be better if the Earth was the center of the Universe...  sarcastic 

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 21):
Have stem cells been shown to actually do anything beneficial at this point

Tremendously. There have been few "bombastic" discoveries, but scientifically speaking stem cells have helped us immensely in understanding mechanisms for cell differentiation, cell mediators, growth mediators and apoptotic signals, which translate in knowledge about tumours, maturation and aging. Do a search on http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov or http://www.pubmed.com (stem cells) and see how much has been done.

Not to mention the storage of umbilical cord cells, which have already been used (successfully) in the treatment of blood neoplastic diseases - eliminating the rejection after blood marrow transplantation.
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

ltbewr

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 pm

Sen. Harkin (D-Iowa) condemned the Bush veto suggesting that Bush is acting like a "Moral Pope" or an "Ayatollah" on these issues. To me Bush is a hypocrite of the worst kind for well known reasons. Many object to the use of stem cell research from excess embryos from 'test tube' fertility clinic practices rather than via normal sexual intercourse. If one follows true Judeo-Christian belief isn't creating these 'test tube' babies immoral as well? Yet, Bush was praising those married couples who had 'test tube' babies.
Do I wish there was another way to get to the cells that could lead to this research and benefits, yes, but this is the most promising right now. I would rather see the 'excess' embryos used to save and improve lives rather than be treated as garbage.
I would also note that the USA will lose in the ethical standards, employment and profit advantages of being a leader of such research. I am quite sure China, Japan, many EC and other countries don't have the 'moral' roadblocks to block this research.

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 40):
many EC and other countries don't have the 'moral' roadblocks to block

Hold on, research in the EC is controlled (very tightly) by ethical principles. There is a similar debate here around the use of stem cells, and it is quite difficult to get a project approved or funded - it must be very sound and ethical. However, the good side is that "false" or politically motivated "religious" opinions do not influence the debate as much.

Ethical control in research is necessary, absolutely indispensable. However, as I said in my post, incoherent moral facades and religious fanaticism only lead to obscurantism and slower progress in science (as they have always lead).

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

mdsh00
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 36):
As somebody else expressed it yesterday: Almost NONE of the major medical research breakthroughs were achieved via federal funding.

Again not necessarily true. In medical research, NIH money is very sought after even though it does have many more stringent requirements. Doing an NIH study is considered more prestigious. Again, governments can provide a lot more funding than private funding in this feild. It's also the reason why so many researchers were showing interest in going to California when the Stem Cell research measure passed (though it is still waiting for clearance).

daedaeg

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 40):
I would also note that the USA will lose in the ethical standards, employment and profit advantages of being a leader of such research. I am quite sure China, Japan, many EC and other countries don't have the 'moral' roadblocks to block this research.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060720/wl_nm/science_eu_stemcells_dc

Looks like the US isn't the only country blocking this type of research. Apparently the German goverment sides with the President on this issue and is trying to block funding for EU countries.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

travelin man

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 42):
It's also the reason why so many researchers were showing interest in going to California when the Stem Cell research measure passed (though it is still waiting for clearance).

Actually it is up and going. I heard on the radio this morning the head of the California Stem Stell Institute saying they had distributed $19 million of funding so far, with another $30 million expected to go to researchers in the next 30-60 days.

WellHung

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:13 am

If the majority of our population couldn't figure it out after four years, it's sad to say that we deserve what we got. It's just too bad for all those who could potentially be helped by the increased funding and research.  Sad

gunsontheroof

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 45):
If the majority of our population couldn't figure it out after four years, it's sad to say that we deserve what we got.

I agree. There aren't enough of us on the left holding Bush voters accountable for his missteps.

Tom in NO

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:48 am

It's really the best solution--no one has to support anything they oppose,

I'm sure we all wish we could apply that line of thinking to every federal government program we oppose. Simply keep a chunk of our federal taxes back and advise the feds that our taxes paid are not to be used to fund specific programs. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Tom at MSY

tbar220

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:18 am

I'm stunned by this decision, digusted, and upset. But surprised? No. Its just another misstep by this administration. Apparently its ok to spend money killing people but not ok to spend money to save people's lives.

Funny also was that the President barred any press from him signing this veto. I wonder why...

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/19/bush-bars-media/

In my frustration, I wonder what the president's motive behind this is? Honestly, he's not up for reelection, this probably makes Republicans look bad as many of them voted for this. So what's his reasoning behind this?
NO URLS in signature

maury

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 48):
So what's his reasoning behind this?

Maybe it's just that, sometimes, it plain feels good to just be who you really are. And if that someone happens to be a "christian reconstructionist," well...veto a stem-cell bill because it "kills boys and girls."