Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbusA346
Topic Author

Thunder Storms

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:34 am

Come on  Sad

I want some thunder storms, to clear the air, because it is to humid.

Who else wants thunder storms?

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

stormbringer

RE: Thunder Storms

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 am

Most of my photos are storm-related. Unfortunately we don't get many thunderstorms here on the west coast.  Sad
It's not road rage. It's COURTESY ENFORCEMENT.

KROC

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 am

I have something even better for you...

YYZflyer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Thread starter):

I don't. But we are getting hit by one tomorrow. Well,we're supposed to. :-P
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

deltagator

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:53 am

I want some thunder storms, to clear the air, because it is to humid.

You do realize that after the storm is over and the sun comes back out it is even more humid than before right? I do agree with you on clearing the air though. We have a Code Red smog alert in ATL today (pretty much every day for the past couple of weeks I believe and going forward as well) and a good rain would get some of the crap out of the air.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

NoUFO

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:16 am

As I recall, many of us - including myself - were eagerly awaiting summer in May and even in early June.

Enjoy it while it lasts; November will come soon enough.
I support the right to arm bears

BigOrange

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:34 am

We got severe thunderstorms last night which cleared the air a bit, and cooled the temperatures by 10-15 degrees.

Gman94

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:40 am

I hear ya, I look forward to the summer and nice weather but today in London has been stifling. The funniest thing about today was that there was a decent wind but went it blew it was hotter then the air temperature.

No thunderstorms forecast in London for the next few days to clear the air though the temperature is going to drop a whopping 5-6 degrees and hover around the 30 degree mark, much cooler I'd better get my fleeces out. Big grin
British Airways - The Way To Fly

USAFHummer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 am

We had a massive line of storms roll through the Philly area last night...350,000 homes without power later, I get the day off from work as well as my work also did not have power when I arrived this morning  Smile It was nice to come home and get 5 much needed extra hours of sleep...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

aislepathlight

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:13 am

Sign me up for the list! We get a light thunderstorm every evening here in DC, but they are really small. I want something fun.
bleepbloop

stormbringer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:23 am

I love the storms in the tropics. They develop in the blink of an eye and give skywatchers a never ending show during the hot season.

https://www.airliners.net/uf/536889976/1153336799sL6JgJ.jpg

This one was shot in southern Thailand last year.
It's not road rage. It's COURTESY ENFORCEMENT.

Tom in NO

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:28 am

These days with a drought on we'll take whatever rain we can get.....so long as it doesn't have a proper name in front of it  wink  .

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

MattRB

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 11):
These days with a drought on we'll take whatever rain we can get.....so long as it doesn't have a proper name in front of it

One tropical depression, coming up!  Wink
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Tom in NO

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 12):
One tropical depression, coming up!

Around here those are known as.....passing showers...or a cold front (except this time of year there's no cold air behind them!)

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

dragon-wings

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:06 am

We had some big storms move through last night. There was pea sized hail and some spectacular cloud to cloud lightning. We lost power with these storms for about a hour.

I love storms when they come through durning the day because you get to see the dark skies and wierd cloud formations. But with last nights storms I saw some beautiful lightning!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Boeing Nut

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 pm

I want some thunder storms

Be careful what you wish for there bub.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 5):
Enjoy it while it lasts; November will come soon enough.

Thank God. Hopefully the next Winter will last until next July and then start again in August.

Alex  cold 
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

[email protected]

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
I have something even better for you...

Clears air better than a thunderstorm, does it now...?

I don't want any thunder storms, but a bit cooler temperature would help.

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

EWS

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Had a good rattle of thunder this morning whilst i was out walking.. no rain though and now its muggy as hell even though its overcast. Shorts and T-shirt weather! Big grin

Lew

TPAnx

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:28 pm

We're in our summer thunderstorm period..count on one in the area just about every afternoon. Monday, I had 1.9 inches of rain..and a two hour power failure from one storm. Florida storms can do that in one area..while
it's hot and sunny just a mile or two away. Construction worker on a highway
was hit by lightning yesterday..in fair condition as of last report. Central Florida is the lightning capital of the US..only Rawanda in Africa has more...
TPAnx  raincloud 
I read the news today..oh boy

Brendan03

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Stormbringer (Reply 10):
This one was shot in southern Thailand last year.

Awesome!! Big grin

I have to wait until December for our Storm season... (December through to Febuary)
Not last year but the year before we got some awesome storms roll through, Some area where the core passed over, The sky went black as night at around 4pm as reported by a friend, they lived on a hill (but not at the top) -the bottom of the hill had over 5" of water on the ground as well as Hail coming down. Power got knocked out, storm came over me and there was lightning strikes one after the other (or three at once in different places... because it was right over me)

I even got a photo as it rolled in.

This is the storm approaching from the North West, I think this was around 4:30pm or so, It was moving very fast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/brendan03/Hpim0010.jpg

This is over my house... The digital camera I had was a peice of junk (HP) so forgive the lighting quality... This was taken about 5:30 or 6pm (Around that time of the year it doesn't get dark until 8:30pm)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/brendan03/Hpim0014a.jpg
Coolier than thou.

flymatt2bermud

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 20):
the year before we got some awesome storms roll through

I'll say that was quite a storm Brendan with the lightning, 5" of rain and hail. It is interesting to note that there appears to be a funnel cloud at the edge of the 'wall cloud' in the lower portion of your second photo. It may have not actually touched down (at which point it would become a tornado). Yet, with the storm you described, this would not be an uncommon phenomenon to occur.

[Edited 2006-07-20 15:55:56]
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

Brendan03

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 21):
It is interesting to note that there appears to be a funnel cloud at the edge of the 'wall cloud'

On the left or the right of the tree? It wouldn't supprise me... That storm was enormus... It was one of the biggest storms I'd ever seen - Mind you I was on the internet the whole time or standing outside in it, If you look at the first image you can actually see some street lights on (and as I mentioned, this was around 4:30pm)

One of these days, I'd love to see an American storm.

Also as I said in another thread, Australia has the highest occurances of Tornados outside the U.S - and My state is the one that gets them (We get more rotation down here and there's apparently better places for them to occur)

I'd love to see one, but not near my house  Smile
Coolier than thou.

flymatt2bermud

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 22):
On the left or the right of the tree? It wouldn't surprise me...

Actually (and I've seen alot of these) perhaps both, but the one that caught my eye was to the left of the tree.

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 22):
One of these days, I'd love to see an American storm.

Then plan on going to the West Coast of Florida in July and August and set your watch for 3:00 pm and you will NOT be disappointed.

P.S. Just returned last May from a Melbourne & Sydney trip. Beautiful country you have there mate!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

StarAC17

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Stormbringer (Reply 1):
Most of my photos are storm-related. Unfortunately we don't get many thunderstorms here on the west coast.

We'll gladly give you some

Signed,

Southern Ontario
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!