Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SA7700
Topic Author

Denver And Surrounds: Worth Visiting?

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:22 pm

I am currently mapping out a Star Alliance RTW. I have been through DEN on connecting flights, but have not been to the city itself.

Would it be worthwhile to hire a car to see the city, as well as outlying areas such as Boulder and Colorado Springs? This is going to be during January 2007.

Your comments please?

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

BMIFlyer

RE: Denver And Surrounds: Worth Visiting?

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Denver is definaltely well worth a visit yes Big grin

I was there last year in the fall - see my trip report for a few pics.
6 Days, 8 Flights & 16000 Miles On UA (Long/Pics) (by BMIFlyer Oct 13 2005 in Trip Reports)

Very clean city, nice weather, mountains, great sights too.  Smile

Loved it so much I will definately be going back, soon Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

MesaMXORD

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 pm

It is definitely worth it. I lived there for almost two years and I have been trying to get transferred back there. If you do go to COS (little over 45min- 1hr drive from DEN) go to the Garden of the Gods it is nice down in that area. And Boulder is okay, never liked the city (except for the College parties) but just outside the city are some nice parks (LH Canyon for example)
MESA - fighting common sense one day at a time

SA7700
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:55 am

Thanks for the info guys. Please keep it rolling...  Smile

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

jcs17

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:59 am

Not really. Aside from the mountains off to the west, there is nothing really notable about Denver. It's basically the typical American city. You've got a few museums, some tall buildings, lots of suburbs, etc. Nothing is very notable though. You could go to Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland, Houston instead and have the same experience.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

F9Animal

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting SA7700 (Thread starter):
Would it be worthwhile to hire a car to see the city, as well as outlying areas such as Boulder and Colorado Springs? This is going to be during January 2007.

Your comments please?

Hey there. DO NOT hire a car, or take a taxi. Just a suggestion, as I paid $35.00 to go from the airport to a motel that was not even close to the city itself. Rent a car for sure.

I would also suggest visiting the mountains, and enjoying the beauty that the Mile High city has to offer. Aspen, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, and so on. There is plenty to do, and tons to see. Maybe even catch a baseball game while you are there. If you visit in the winter, make sure you go and ski. If you don't know how to ski, it would be worth taking the beginners trail while you are there. The snow is great!

I love visiting Colorado. What a great place.
I Am A Different Animal!!

MaverickM11

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:16 am

Denver is kinda forgettable. The surroundings are what is great. I lived in Denver for almost four years and I loved it, but it was the people that made it great. Downtown is mostly a ghost town with the "sixteenth street mall" the only thing remotely worthwhile, and unless you are homeless, shop at Dress Barn, or need to buy a Dreamcatcher, there is no reason to go. Lodo is fun at night, Cherry Creek is a nice place to go shopping, and there are some nice museums just south of Downtown...especially the new modern art museum of it is open. The parks around town are great to check out but the actual city of Denver is nothing great. Boulder has more to offer in terms of the actual town, plus it's closer to the mountains and can serve as a good base to go on hikes and what not. COS has nice parts around it (the Broadmoor, Garde, of the Gods, Air Force Academy, mountains of course) but the actual downtown has no reason to go out of your way.
I don't take responsibility at all

nosedive

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
Downtown is mostly a ghost town with the "sixteenth street mall" the only thing remotely worthwhile, and unless you are homeless, shop at Dress Barn, or need to buy a Dreamcatcher, there is no reason to go.

Go to Lodo & Larimer Sq/Writer's Corner. Tabor Centre on 16th is a waste of space, the Denver Pavilions on 16th are better, but it's a bunch of chain stores... in other words, stay on the "West" side of downtown.*

Lodo is fun at night, Cherry Creek is a nice place to go shopping, and there are some nice museums just south of Downtown...especially the new modern art museum of it is open.

About the only thing Maverick and I will agree on  thumbsup  Though Denver gets sleepy around 2-3 am.

Boulder has more to offer in terms of the actual town, plus it's closer to the mountains and can serve as a good base to go on hikes and what not.

Also check out RedRocks Amphitheater. Decent for quick hikes.

Some more info

* Note streets around downtown go NW/SE, as the street grid points towards Longs Peak. The rest of the streets go N/S. Damn original Denverites.

SA7700
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:36 am

I have been looking at the JW Marriott @ Cherry Creek as sort of a base - however it is a bit pricey. I am not interested in the "Central Business District" per se, it is not like Manhattan afterall. However, I would like to see some parts of Denver, as well as areas like Colorado Springs and / or Boulder.

I would like to rent a car in order to get along by myself. I really like scenic drives, but should the weather be bad, shopping can be another avenue of having a good time.

Rgds and thanks for all the tips thus far

SA7700

stirling

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:34 am

A Brief Top 10.

1. Take a brewery tour at Coors in Golden or Budweiser in Ft Collins.
2. Ride the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak.
3. Gamble (Low-Stakes) in one of 3 designated cities: Blackhawk, Cripple Creek, and Central City.
4. Walk across the world's highest suspension bridge....the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City....or ride the tourist train through the bottom of the canyon, or visit an old movie studio nearby where cowboy and indian movies were made. (The first movies made outside of New Jersey and before Hollywood, were made in the Fremont County/Canon City area)
5. Catch a hockey or basketball game at the Pepsi Center.
6. Tour the US Mint.
7. Visit the eclectic, world-acclaimed Daniel Libeskind designed Denver Art Musuem.
8. Giddy-up to the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs, plus, see the Seven Falls, the elegant Broadmoor Hotel and Resort, the Garden of the Gods for magnificent red-rock formations, and funky Mantiou Springs for Antiques.
9. Take in a natural mineral bath in Glenwood Springs. (also includes driving through the amazing scenery of Glenwood Canyon....the freeway is as well an engineering marvel, it hangs from the canyon wall, and is a double-decker in places to have as little enviromental impact as possible
10. Ski or just watch the beautiful people at close-by Ski Resort.

Denver is the base of many things to do within just 2-3 hours driving time. Snow, while it can be fierce at times; you are just as likely to encounter a 70 degree day in January, as you are snowfall. Remember, Denver is one of the sunniest cities in the U.S..
For hiring a car....try Advantage....a friend of mine just came to visit and got a Jeep Liberty 4X4 for $19.95 a day mid-week.

Enjoy your stay in Colorado!
Delete this User

vafi88

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:37 am

My advice is go see Boulder and downtown denver during the night time as both come alive from about 10pm-2am. There are a BUNCH of great places to see in downtown Denver such as the 16th street mall in the heart of downtown and it is really close to many exciting and exotic bars and clubs that many people go to even midweek!

Make sure you go up to the mountains like past replies said Glenwood springs is great, it's a while of a drive, but well worth it. JCS is completely wrong about this, Denver offers so much more than other cities because it has a GREAT balance of nightlife, cuisine, nature, culture, and great sights that other cities cannot compare with!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

deltagator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 5):
DO NOT hire a car, or take a taxi.

By hire I believe he means rent. Those foreigners sho' do talk funny.  Wink

A couple of suggestions...

1. Rocky Mountain National Park is a great place to go. Wander around downtown Estes Park for some fun and then go up into the park. I would wait a couple of days before going here to get acclimated to the higher altitude. The road in the park tops out over 12,000 feet high and you can hike some trails even higher so be careful. While you can take Trail Ridge Road through the park and out the other side I suggest you enter and leave through the Estes Park area instead of leaving through Granby (no offense to Granby.)

2. Not only the Cog Railway at Pike's Peak but take the drive up as well. As with RMNP be careful of the altitude.

3. Boulder is a bit of a quirky town inhabited by a huge population of dope smoking hippies but nice, peaceful, and provides easy access to the mountains. I just had a business trip there and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. Might be a bit pricy for you but has good access to many things.

4. Go to Red Rocks Ampitheatre for a concert if available.

5. For a good, if pricy and touristy, dinner go to the Buckhorn Exchange http://www.buckhorn.com/ for local game meats and steaks.

6. Another good place for dinner is The Fort http://www.thefort.com/ out in Morrison close to Red Rocks. Also a bit pricy but very good.

7. Buffalo Bill's grave overlooking Golden, CO is right off I-70 and a quick place to visit.

Can anyone confirm if the Air Force Academy is still closed to outsiders? If they have reopened it then I suggest a quick visit to the Chapel and a walk of the main grounds. It is right off I-25 going to Colorado Springs. Just make sure you never ever speed on a US military base.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

57AZ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Denver's surrounding area is great. If you want excellent scenery and a little history, take a ride on either the Durango and Silverton or Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railways. Both were built by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad back in the 1880s as their San Juan Extension and are still narrow gauge lines operating with historic steam locomotives and rolling stock. The scenery on either ride is unforgettable as they both operate high in the mountains. The Durango and Silverton creeps along the Animas River on the High Line-a line built on a narrow man-made ledge a couple of hundred feet above the Animas River. The Cumbres and Toltec is a 64 mile line between Chama, New Mexico and Antonito, Colorado which has one of the top five highest railroad summits in North America (10,200 feet) at Cumbres, Colorado. Only other place in North America where you can get such a excellent ride is the White Pass and Yukon Railway in the great white north. Both railroads are about a day's drive from Denver but well worth the trip.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

piercey

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 4):
Cleveland

Now why would you come here?
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

F9Widebody

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 9):
4. Walk across the world's highest suspension bridge....the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City....or ride the tourist train through the bottom of the canyon, or visit an old movie studio nearby where cowboy and indian movies were made. (The first movies made outside of New Jersey and before Hollywood, were made in the Fremont County/Canon City area)

I COMPLETELY disagree....sure it is kinda cool to see, but much better than a postcard? Nah.... It's the biggest tourist trap I have ever seen, there is a mini carnival, with rides going out over the gorge that are absolutely outrageously priced....it's not worth it. You have to pay to even go across the bridge. Plus, it is a long way away from anything, so it is not worth the extra drive. The only thing about the area that is redeeming is the rafting through the gorge.
YES URLS in signature!!!

aislepathlight

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 4):
Not really. Aside from the mountains off to the west, there is nothing really notable about Denver. It's basically the typical American city. You've got a few museums, some tall buildings, lots of suburbs, etc. Nothing is very notable though. You could go to Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland, Houston instead and have the same experience.

But the mountains to the west are amazing. If you are willing to drive for a couple ours, then drive west through the mountains, along the Colarado river. Follow it for as long as you are willing to. It is amazing... I was just through there a couple of weeks ago. Depending if you are willing to stay else where for a night, I would say take a peak around Arches or Canyonlands national parks. Amazing views.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 13):
Now why would you come here?

What would anybody do in Cleveland?
bleepbloop

F9Animal

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):
By hire I believe he means rent. Those foreigners sho' do talk funny. Wink

LMAO! LOL!

I was soooo pissed when I took a cab to my motel. $30.00! In the middle of nowhere! The shuttle quit running at 1AM!

Thanks!

LOT767-300ER

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:16 pm

1. Take a brewery tour at Coors in Golden or Budweiser in Ft Collins.

The last thing people from outside the USA want to do is tour a Coors Pisswater brewery (or Budweiser). Why not just visit your local water treatment plant?  Wink

SA7700
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:08 pm

For hiring a car....try Advantage....a friend of mine just came to visit and got a Jeep Liberty 4X4 for $19.95 a day mid-week.

Enjoy your stay in Colorado!

Thanks for all the tips Stirling. I tried Advantage Car Rentals website, but it is unable to generate fares. The page cannot be displayed. Glenwood Canyon sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the info guys, I truly appreciate it. No alcohol distilleries in the area?  Smile If there is more, keep it coming.

Thanks

SA7700

F9Animal

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 18):
Thanks for all the tips Stirling. I tried Advantage Car Rentals website, but it is unable to generate fares. The page cannot be displayed. Glenwood Canyon sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the info guys, I truly appreciate it. No alcohol distilleries in the area? Smile If there is more, keep it coming.

Thanks

SA7700

Dollar rent a car, and Thrifty are pretty good for rates. Give them a try.

If you like burritos, you have to try one at DEN Airport. IIRC, it was in the B's, upper level. I was shocked at the size of it, and the price was not bad at all. I wish I could remember the name of the place. Anyone that could help that works at DEN?

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 19):
Anyone that could help that works at DEN?

I don't remember the one at DIA but you can get a cheaper one and probably better at Chipotle or Qdoba near the airport or downtown. They're only 1500 calories per serving or something like that  Silly.
I don't take responsibility at all

deltagator

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:05 am

If you like burritos, you have to try one at DEN Airport. IIRC, it was in the B's, upper level. I was shocked at the size of it, and the price was not bad at all. I wish I could remember the name of the place. Anyone that could help that works at DEN?

Not sure about it in B (United concourse) but there is one in C Concourse right under the Delta Crown Room. They were pretty good and full of meat and other tasty delights. I think the sign above it just said Mexican Cantina but I could be wrong.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

F9Animal

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 20):
I don't remember the one at DIA but you can get a cheaper one and probably better at Chipotle or Qdoba near the airport or downtown. They're only 1500 calories per serving or something like that Silly.

LOL! So if I cut it in half, and save it for later..... 750!

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 21):
Not sure about it in B (United concourse) but there is one in C Concourse right under the Delta Crown Room. They were pretty good and full of meat and other tasty delights. I think the sign above it just said Mexican Cantina but I could be wrong.

I think it was in the UA terminal. I remember it being near a smoking bar. I think there is a Harley Davidson shop near it too. Could be wrong or have my airports mixed up though.

USAFHummer

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:47 am

Trail Ridge Road

Closed in the winter, I'm afraid, which seems to be when SA7700 is visiting...only reopens in mid-to-late spring when the snow up there melts to a reasonable level for the plows to come through...they dont even bother trying during winter season, for good reason, as it'd be a lost cause...

SA7700...if you are planning to hit the area in towards the end of January, I'd be happy to show you around Boulder (I arrive back in Boulder after winter break roughly in the middle of January, don't have the exact date ATM)...if you are interested, drop me a PM or reply here, if not, thats cool too...any other questions feel free to ask!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

deltagator

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 23):
Trail Ridge Road

Closed in the winter, I'm afraid, which seems to be when SA7700 is visiting

Ah...I missed the date even though he put it right there. Well that sucks since it is beautiful up there. I've been in May and the old Falls road was still closed because of snowfall while Trail Ridge still had plenty to have a good snowball fight with up at the Alpine Visitor's Center.

SA7700
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:23 pm

Dollar rent a car, and Thrifty are pretty good for rates. Give them a try.

Thanks, I am checking them all out. Out here we have Avis, Budget, Hertz, Europcar, National; as well other smaller companies. I usually go with Avis when renting here.

If you like burritos, you have to try one at DEN Airport.

I have never had a burrito in my life. They are spicy, true or false? I don't think I should try one for the first time (before a 3 hour long flight), whilst stuck in a window seat.... if you catch my drift.  Wink

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 23):
SA7700...if you are planning to hit the area in towards the end of January, I'd be happy to show you around Boulder

Thanks Greg, I will PM you.

Rgds

SA7700

deltagator

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 25):
I have never had a burrito in my life. They are spicy, true or false? I don't think I should try one for the first time (before a 3 hour long flight), whilst stuck in a window seat.... if you catch my drift.

You poor thing! Meat, cheese, and veggies all in a handy wrapper. The one I had at DEN was not spicy at all. IIRC they had three different salsas from mild to hot to spice things up. I went with mild only because I do not like the taste of jalepenos. You can eat one and be just fine for a three hour flight despite the beans.

SA7700
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
You poor thing! Meat, cheese, and veggies all in a handy wrapper.

We get them, but we just call it a wrap. Beans can be a bastard - believe me...  Wink

Rgds

SA7700

deltagator

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 27):
Beans can be a bastard - believe me...

I'll take your word. No need for a demonstration.

SA7700
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
I'll take your word. No need for a demonstration.

laughing 

Get on a QF flight between JNB-SYD-JNB, where you almost always get beans thrown into one of the many meals. That 747 becomes one large crop duster and when you disembark you either have a perm or scarring on your lung tissue.  Wink

Rgds

SA7700

Tom in NO

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 am

I'd try skiing. Quite a number of ski resorts to the west of Denver: Winter Park and Loveland are the closest, I believe. Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, and Arapahoe Basin are not much further. Vail is further up I-70. If you've got a couple of days Aspen/Buttermilk/Snowmass is an option. My brother-in-law lives in Steamboat Springs, another ski town, although it is a bit of a hike from Denver.

If you're into golf, my brother (who used to live in Highlands Ranch outside Denver) and I once golfed in a snowstorm at Arrowhead, which is southwest of town.

Do an Avalanche game at Pepsi Center.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SA7700
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 30):
I'd try skiing. Quite a number of ski resorts to the west of Denver: Winter Park and Loveland are the closest, I believe. Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, and Arapahoe Basin are not much further. Vail is further up I-70.

I have never tried to ski. Ice-skating yes - I ended up the spectacle of the rink each and every time...

Is Vail and Aspen worth to visit if you are not going to ski or is it going to be a waste of time and gasoline?

Rgds

SA7700

Tom in NO

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 31):
Is Vail and Aspen worth to visit if you are not going to ski or is it going to be a waste of time and gasoline?

I can't say about Vail, I've never been there in the winter. It's been a number of years since I was in Aspen, and while it has its hangouts and cool spots, I probably wouldn't head there in the winter without skiing, especially when there is a lot more to do closer to Denver.....Aspen is also very pricey.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

nosedive

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 31):

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 32):
and while it has its hangouts and cool spots, I probably wouldn't head there in the winter without skiing,

Same, but Aspen and Vail get expensive fast. Might wanna try Breckenridge, Keystone, or A-Basin (all under the ownership of Vail Resorts). Loveland is cheap, but no resort town attached to the place, but that may be your thing. Copper Mtn is a bit further up the road than the others mentioned, and all the areas aren't too horribly difficult to get to from I-70. Winter Park/Mary Jane is a bit more of a hike, though. Oh, and buy your rental stuff in Denver so you don't get ripped by the resorts; hell, some of the places in Denver may get you a deal on a lift ticket as peak season tickets (re. X-mas) can run around $75 a day at some of the big resorts.

Resorts:
Vail Resorts
Loveland
Copper Mtn
Winter Parl

Rentals:
Colorado Ski and Golf
Rent Skis.com
Breeze Skis

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 30):
Do an Avalanche game at Pepsi Center.

Why send him to some bad sports.... not that I have a bias to the Red Wings or anything  Wink DAMNIT STASTNEY WHY'D YOU SIGH WITH TEH AVS!
Avs Tix
Denver Nuggets Tix
Pepsi Center Where the Nuggets, Avs, Crush, and Mammoth play... yeah we like sports  Silly
DU Hockey... everyone loves college hockey, unless you're a pinko

Yeah, I'd love to show ya around, but I should be back in Berlin by/around New Yrs. If you come eariler than that, I may be able to assist ya!

texdravid

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 4):
It's basically the typical American city. You've got a few museums, some tall buildings, lots of suburbs, etc. Nothing is very notable though. You could go to Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland, Houston instead and have the same experience.

Now I love DFW and Houston, but come on! Denver's scenery and natural beauty are way beyond the Texas two-step. Same for ATL and Cleveland. I would love to own a vacation home in and around Denver.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

USAFHummer

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 33):
Why send him to some bad sports....

If he wants bad sports its definitely a CU basketball game that he's looking for  Wink...I'd also offer up the Rocks in that category but they are out of season of course lol...

Greg

Tom in NO

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 am

When we go to the launching pad known as Coors (Canaveral) Field, it's more for the views of the mountains that you get from the outfield-type seats and the charm of Coors itself, as opposed to having any desire to see that alleged baseball team... wink 

Tom at MSY

PJ295

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am

If you are going to be there in January do yourself a favor and skip the city. I would head west into the Rockies. A little over an hours worth of driving will get you into summit county and one of the best winter playgrounds in the world. I couldn't think of a better place to learn to ski (or snowboard). I fly in to Denver quite a bit....the city is nice...but for me its only a means of gaining access to the mountains.

SA7700
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 33):
Yeah, I'd love to show ya around, but I should be back in Berlin by/around New Yrs. If you come eariler than that, I may be able to assist ya!

Thanks Nosedive, but I am in SYD for New Year - I have been waiting for that all my life!

Quoting PJ295 (Reply 37):
If you are going to be there in January do yourself a favor and skip the city. I would head west into the Rockies.

Would it be safe to drive, without making accommodation bookings beforehand or would you recommend it? How busy is Colorado and the resorts, usually, after January 5, 2007?

Rgds

SA7700

PJ295

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I imagine you could find a place to stay in Summit County with no reservation. I would really recommend booking in advance though. Usually the resorts are packed for Christmas/New Year....though by the 5th the crowds could be thinning out a little bit with people returning back to work. Again I reccomend Summit County because it is close to Denver and the resorts are not as expensive as other areas in the state (Vail/Aspen)
You might want to check out these websites to see if its somewhere you would want to go.
http://www.colorado.net/towns.cfm/townid/4.cfm
http://keystone.snow.com/
http://www.arapahoebasin.com/
http://breckenridge.snow.com/
http://www.coppercolorado.com/index.htm

nosedive

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting PJ295 (Reply 39):
Again I reccomend Summit County because it is close to Denver and the resorts are not as expensive as other areas in the state (Vail/Aspen)

The cheapest I'm finding around then is $71.... in Georgetown, but there are a few cheap places in Frisco. Average per night is around $90.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 35):
If he wants bad sports its definitely a CU basketball game that he's looking for  ...I'd also offer up the Rocks in that category but they are out of season of course lol...

You just had to bring CU into this, didn't ya, Greg!

SA7700
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting PJ295 (Reply 39):
Usually the resorts are packed for Christmas/New Year....though by the 5th the crowds could be thinning out a little bit with people returning back to work.

I plan to arrive in DEN on January 9, 2007. Hopefully the crowds will have cleared a bit.  Smile

Thanks

SA7700

DLKAPA

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 35):
If he wants bad sports its definitely a CU basketball game that he's looking for Wink...I'd also offer up the Rocks in that category but they are out of season of course lol...

In an odd fluke, the Rockies are only 3 or 4 games out of first place. Too bad the only game I've been to all season and they lose by one freakin' point.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

USAFHummer

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 42):
In an odd fluke, the Rockies are only 3 or 4 games out of first place. Too bad the only game I've been to all season and they lose by one freakin' point.

Zoom in a little closer...

one freakin' point.

...and closer....

point.

Some baseball fan you are, Eric  Wink

but seriously... although the Rocks started strong this year, they are starting to suck as of late...only reason they are still in it is cause the NL West as a whole sucks again this year...

Greg