Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Politically Correct? Kid Passport Refused

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:18 am

Source http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read/30569

More British political correctness gone mad!!

Quote:
SHEFFIELD, England, Aug. 15 (UPI) -- The passport application of a 5-year-old girl in Sheffield, England, was rejected because her sundress showed her shoulders, which might offend Muslims.

Hanna Edwards' mother, Jane, was told by a postal clerk the passport office would reject the photo because it might offend people in a Muslim country.

"I was incensed," said Edwards, a family doctor, who wanted to take her daughter to France. "I went back home and checked the form. Nowhere did it say anything about covering up shoulders. If it had, I would have done so."

"How can the shoulders of a 5-year-old girl offend anyone?" she asked London's Daily Telegraph.

Edwards had Hanna's photo retaken, shoulders covered. The post office accepted the application.

A spokesman for Britain's Identity and Passport Service said it was not its policy to reject applications with bare shoulders. He said the department would take up the matter with the post office.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Cadet57

RE: Politically Correct? Kid Passport Refused

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:21 am

Oh for the love of god! Why do the brits have to be politically correct? Why cant muslims not make a big deal of sholders? THEY ARE FRIGGIN ARMS FOR GODS SAKE!
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
THEY ARE FRIGGIN ARMS FOR GODS SAKE!

You mean for Allah's sake?  stirthepot 

7L

n229nw

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
A spokesman for Britain's Identity and Passport Service said it was not its policy to reject applications with bare shoulders. He said the department would take up the matter with the post office.

PLEASE NOTE THIS!!!!!

Again, before the anti-PC crowd goes berserk as usual, note that this was not policy, but an aberration. In other words, some clerk at the post office had a stick up his ass.

Yet this is a news story? Is it a news story every other time some government bureaucrat gets anal about something that is supposed to be legal, but decides to make a problem about it because (s)he is on a power trip? Because that happens, oh, 18,367 times a day, in every country in the world...

No, this is pitched to news agencies and run as a story only because seeking out these stories allows Fox/TheSun/xenophobes to talk about how multiculturalism is so bad and blah blah blah...

[Edited 2006-08-15 18:33:17]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

YYZflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
THEY ARE FRIGGIN ARMS FOR GODS SAKE!

Yes. And I believe they have them as well, don't they?
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 4):
Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):

PLEASE NOTE THIS!!!!!

Which is why I didnt omit it. The point being that it is still political correctness gone mad, whether it was policy or an individual's perception.

7L

halls120

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 4):
Again, before the anti-PC crowd goes berserk as usual, note that this was not policy, but an aberration. In other words, some clerk at the post office had a stick up his ass.

until we know all the facts, it is neither policy or an aberration.

Given some of the verified PC-ness coming out of the UK these days - remember the woman who liked Piglet, and was forced to remove a desk item relating to same, because it was offensive to her muslim co-workers - it isn't all that surprising that some postal clerk may have been indeed enforcing a local policy, or for people to jump to the conclusion that the PC police are at it again.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

n229nw

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 7):
it isn't all that surprising that some postal clerk may have been indeed enforcing a local policy, or for people to jump to the conclusion that the PC police are at it again.

Perhaps. Skepticism is warranted on both sides. Just that these stories are so often distortions (The "Hot Cross Buns was banned" and "Bah Bah Black Sheep was banned" stories both were urban legends started by journalists, but they refuse to die now and are used as "evidence" all the time...)

RAPCON

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 8):

Perhaps. Skepticism is warranted on both sides. Just that these stories are so often distortions

I think the story says a lot more about the incompetence of some postal clerk, than about PC in England.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

adh214

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 5):
And I believe they have them as well, don't they?

I don't know they are always covered.

adh214

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:50 am

This similar to the McDonald's lawsuit about coffee burns. Everytime I hear someone complain about that and use it as an evidence for a judicary gone made I ask them, "Would you want your vagina burned off with coffee to hot for human consumption served by a restaurant that deliberately serves coffee too hot to avoid having to serve refills?"

"No"
"yeah me either and now McD coffee is served at a reasonable temperature"

Andrew

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 8):
Skepticism is warranted on both sides. Just that these stories are so often distortions (The "Hot Cross Buns was banned" and "Bah Bah Black Sheep was banned" stories both were urban legends started by journalists

Perhaps, but here is another example of the UK and it's obsession with political correctness, not in any way related to religion.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1322641/

7L

halls120

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting Adh214 (Reply 11):
This similar to the McDonald's lawsuit about coffee burns. Everytime I hear someone complain about that and use it as an evidence for a judicary gone made I ask them, "Would you want your vagina burned off with coffee to hot for human consumption served by a restaurant that deliberately serves coffee too hot to avoid having to serve refills?"

Of course, what I always think about when I read/hear about this one is who would be so stupid as to put a hot cup of coffee on the seat between their legs in a moving automobile.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

BMIFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:15 am

Its "PC" gone mad, this country is full of it  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BigOrange

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:29 am

Was the guy in the post office Muslim by any chance?

adh214

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 13):
what I always think about when I read/hear about this one is who would be so stupid as to put a hot cup of coffee on the seat between their legs in a moving automobile.

Gee, I always think is what restaurant would be stupid enough to serve coffee that is so hot it cannot be consumed for 20 minutes after it is served?

jwenting

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 6):
Which is why I didnt omit it. The point being that it is still political correctness gone mad, whether it was policy or an individual's perception.

well said.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 7):
until we know all the facts, it is neither policy or an aberration.

Correct, but it's an example of how the UK is rapidly surrendering to muslim fundamentalists whichever it is.
Either it is policy or that postal worker is so indoctrinated into not doing or allowing anything that might offend muslims that he thinks it is.
I don't know which is more scary.

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 9):
I think the story says a lot more about the incompetence of some postal clerk, than about PC in England.

No, because either the UK has gone so PC crazy that people think like this or it's gone so PC crazy that people are actually told to think like this.
Both are very scary, unless you're a fundamentalist muslim.
I wish I were flying

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:57 am

I have enough Muslim friends to know a few things that offend them and the main one is stupid WHITE people THINKING they know what Muslims might be offended by. Newsflash. 99.9% of the time these same whities get it totally wrong. Muslims are entirely happy to call Christmas Christmas, and at Christmas wish people "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays" or any of that crap, but no-one bothers to actually ask them. I do not know a single Muslim that would be offended by a 5 year old girl showing her shoulders on a passport photo, although I have come across several postal clerks whose parents were clearly brother and sister.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

n229nw

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 18):
although I have come across several postal clerks whose parents were clearly brother and sister.

rotfl 

Hey! my parentses was broster and sither and Im verfended by you're impliking that makes me stooopid!

SlamClick

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Adh214 (Reply 10):

A number of errors and misleading assertions in your post:

"Would you want your...

This has never been a realistic test for adequacy of compensation. Let's say you get a million for a wrongful death - would you consent to be killed for a million bucks? Ridiculous! How about a hundred grand for loss of an eye? No person of good mental health would take the deal up front.

Besides the jury pretty much admitted that they punished McDonald's for the callous way they treated the woman's initial complaint. They might have been guilty of not putting the lid on properly - I don't know, but she WAS STUPID to put it between her legs. Do you ever do that? I sure as hell don't. Not HOT or CAUSTIC liquids, for sure. I know people with IQs simlar to their shoe size who have sense enough not to do that. BUT they should never had said that to her! Insult to injury and it cannot lead to good things.

If I'm not mistaken the award has not yet been fully paid and is under appeal.

a restaurant that deliberately serves coffee too hot to avoid having to serve refills?"

This might be somewhat valid at sea level but this incident occurred at Albuquerque New Mexico, roughly 5300' above sea level. At a barometric pressure of 29.92"hg (standard) water boils at 202.4°F at that altitude. The McDonald's franchise manual at that time reportedly instructed that coffee was to be brewed at between 195°F and 205°F. The latter being above the boiling point would have been unusable. The franchise holder in question would have discovered empirically that in order to avoid boiling off the brew water he had to adjust toward the lower side of that envelope.

Let us assume that the brew temperature was 200°F on that day. If the coffee was served in their usual fashion it was a single paper cup. Someone else will have to calculate the heat loss from that, but I've never noticed that their cups have any remarkable insulating properties. I'd bet that at the time of her burn (assuming that the spill happened as she left the restauraunt drive-through) the actual temperature of the liquid was just about the same as my local Starbuck's serves, 190-195 or so.

I don't believe for a moment that the coffee was anywhere near as hot as it would have been at a sea-level restaurant. If she put cream in it, it would likely have been down in the 180s. Of course cream would have aggravated the burn because it clings to the skin more readily and gives off its heat more slowly than does coffee - which is really just water. That's why cities under seige didn't pour boiling water on the attackers - the water cools too rapidly.

and now McD coffee is served at a reasonable temperature

No. Now it is served too cold for carry-out.

More importantly, "subsequent remedial action" is not considered evidence of liability and cannot be used to establish it. Lots and lots of case law to support that statement.

Last but not least, with all due sympathy to an injured person, frankly, an 81-year old woman's genitals are not worth 2.9 million and the money should have come out of the jurors' pockets, not the restaurant. It IS evidence of a judicial system gone mad. It is one of the worst single things about the western world now, and a major reason for the jobs going to former 3rd world countries - the obscene notion that IF you are injured THEN you deserve money.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

808TWA

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 4):
Yes. And I believe they have them as well, don't they?

Depends if they get caught stealing  Smile
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

SlamClick

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 17):
the main one is stupid WHITE people

Oh. Muslims aren't white? I did not know that.

Muslims are entirely happy to call Christmas Christmas, and at Christmas wish people "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays" or any of that crap

I agree. I'll bet a thousand of whatever you can name that this is a concept that originated with western-world atheists of Christian heritage (Americans, French, Germans, etc.) and not practitioners of other religions. This is why it is ONLY directed at Christianity-based customs. I really think it is time we officially designate atheism as a religion.

It clearly is. The world is full of agnostics who don't know, and don't much care about the existence or nature of "god" or whatever you might want to call their theoretical creator. (divine being or cosmic accident) But most of them don't get all wrapped around the axle when someone says "God bless you" to their sneeze. Atheists on the other hand have an absolutely fundamentalist KNOWLEDGE of the non-existance of God, and get angry when ever they cross paths with any reference to him. Their knowledge is faith, precisely as the belief-in-God is to the faithful of any religion. They are precisely the same sort of person as the religious fanatic - it is only their dogma (non-existence of God) that is difference.

We all know where such conviction to slightly different dogmas can lead.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

qr332

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
Why cant muslims not make a big deal of sholders?

Who said they have? Its a postal clerk assuming Muslims would be pissed off, as if 7 year old Muslims are supposed to be covered from head to toe!

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 16):
Correct, but it's an example of how the UK is rapidly surrendering to muslim fundamentalists whichever it is.

No, its an example of how the UK is getting frightened of things that don't exist! For God's sake, i'm a Muslim and I am saying the UK should hold on to its own traditions, not those of some religious nut from Bangladesh who thinks he can emigrate somewhere and change it to suit his needs!

I have enough Muslim friends to know a few things that offend them and the main one is stupid WHITE people THINKING they know what Muslims might be offended by. Newsflash. 99.9% of the time these same whities get it totally wrong. Muslims are entirely happy to call Christmas Christmas, and at Christmas wish people "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays" or any of that crap, but no-one bothers to actually ask them. I do not know a single Muslim that would be offended by a 5 year old girl showing her shoulders on a passport photo, although I have come across several postal clerks whose parents were clearly brother and sister.

Excellent post! Did you know that in Qatar, where over 90% of the population is Muslim, Christmas decorations are put up almost everywhere? Did you guys also know that in Jordan, where the vast majority of the population is Muslim, Christians visit Muslims on eid and celebrate it with them, and that Muslims visit Christians during Christmas and Easter and that they celebrate it with them?

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 21):
Oh. Muslims aren't white? I did not know that.

Islam is a religion, not a race - there are white, black, and everything in between Muslims. But, I agree with the rest of your post - for a group who are quick to talk about freedom of religion, they seem to be very anti-expression of religion.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

halls120

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting Adh214 (Reply 15):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 13):
what I always think about when I read/hear about this one is who would be so stupid as to put a hot cup of coffee on the seat between their legs in a moving automobile.

Gee, I always think is what restaurant would be stupid enough to serve coffee that is so hot it cannot be consumed for 20 minutes after it is served?

Well, I always assume that a hot beverage is hot, and act accordingly.