panpan
Topic Author

Stupidest Passenger Ever

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:46 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14486560/

CHICAGO - Cook County prosecutors say a 29-year-old man traveling with his mother desperately didn't want her to know he'd packed a sexual aid for their trip to Turkey. So he told security it was a bomb, officials said.

Madin Azad Amin was stopped by officials on Aug. 16 after guards found an object in his baggage that resembled a grenade, prosecutors said.

When officers asked him to identify it, Amin said it was a bomb, said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Lorraine Scaduto.

He later told officials he'd lied about the item because his mother was nearby and he didn't want her to hear that it was part of a penis pump, Scaduto said.

He's been charged with felony disorderly conduct, said Andrew Conklin, a spokesman with the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Amin faces up to three years in prison if convicted.

SHUPirate1

RE: Stupidest Passenger Ever

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:48 am

Dang...

They really should sentence him to fourth grade, not the Cook County pen.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Gr8Circle

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting PanPan (Thread starter):

Well, he can certainly use the pump if he has to spend three years in jail.... Big grin

Beaucaire

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:23 am

That would be quite a ridiculous sentence for a somewhat fragile individual who seemingly has fear from his mother.
US laws are extraterrestrial when it comes to so called minor deviations.Anything that comes even close to sexuality seems to create a major punishable framework in the US...
He maybe was stupid but you don't really punish a guy who is already punished by life..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Gr8Circle

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 3):
That would be quite a ridiculous sentence for a somewhat fragile individual who seemingly has fear from his mother.
US laws are extraterrestrial when it comes to so called minor deviations.Anything that comes even close to sexuality seems to create a major punishable framework in the US...
He maybe was stupid but you don't really punish a guy who is already punished by life..

Consider the fact that using the bomb threat so irresponsibly could have resulted in the flight being delayed, all pax off-loaded for searching, resultant delays in other flights, pile-ups, dozens of law enforcement officers spending hours searching planes and luggage....resultant thousands or millions of dollars loss to airlines, inconvenience to pax and staff..........

In short, it's not just about a poor little guy who has a problem with his _ _ _ _ _ ......it's high time these people realised that such behaviour causes trouble to others Big grin

[Edited 2006-08-25 20:28:19]

adh214

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:29 am

Anything that comes even close to sexuality seems to create a major punishable framework in the US

He is being punished because he said he had a bomb in his suitcase or carry on. True or not claiming you have a bomb is illegal in US airports. The fact that it was actually a pump has nothing to do with it. Having a pump is not illegal in the US.

Why he did not just say it was some sort of cooking/gardening/sewing device is beyond me? Or request a piece of paper and write it down.

Andrew

express1

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:30 am

The Athorities should of straped the sex toy to his forehead striped him naked, marched him up to the top of the ATC tower and tied him up,and kept him there as punishment for all the trouble he gave.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

Gr8Circle

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Adh214 (Reply 5):
Or request a piece of paper and write it down.

checkmark 

TWFirst

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:45 am

Right.... and in the Middle East, killing people for being gay or having an affair isn't "extraterrestrial"???
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

panpan
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:49 am

There may well be a difference between what they're charging him with and what he ends up pleading guilty to. I don't know that public interest will be served by putting this man in jail. My thought would be that the public humiliation he's facing now will suffice. And I bet he's learned his lesson-- next time he travels with his mother he's going to tell the TSA that the pump is filled with heroin.

antiuser

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:54 am

He could've got away with it if he spoke Portuguese... since in Portuguese the words for "pump" and "bomb" are the same. Big grin
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

jetdeltamsy

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:55 am

Well...when i started reading this article, i thought i'd have an "i can top that one for you.." story. But no, this one takes the cake.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

antonovman

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:11 am

He is being punished because he said he had a bomb in his suitcase or carry on. True or not claiming you have a bomb is illegal in US airports. The fact that it was actually a pump has nothing to do with it. Having a pump is not illegal in the US.

I am almost sure its the same here in the UK too

United787

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Express1 (Reply 6):
The Athorities should of straped the sex toy to his forehead striped him naked, marched him up to the top of the ATC tower and tied him up,and kept him there as punishment for all the trouble he gave.

We Americans only do that in prisons in Iraq.

agill

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:19 am

Even though what he said was really stupid, it wasn't because he was just being a dick or making a threat. HE obviously panicked and didn't think straight. Would be a bit over the top to send him to jail for it.

SHUPirate1

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Agill (Reply 14):
Even though what he said was really stupid, it wasn't because he was just being a dick or making a threat. HE obviously panicked and didn't think straight. Would be a bit over the top to send him to jail for it.

That's why I think they should send him to fourth grade instead.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Jonno

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:35 am

Extraterrestrial? We don't kill people for being homosexual here, women have free rights. I'm not sure extraterrestrial's the correct word for the USA's laws. And it really is too bad that this fellow feared his mother, but to imply that you're holding a bomb in airport security is whack.  banghead 

JakeOrion

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:40 am

Amusing none-the-less!
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Amazonphil

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:43 am

Quoting Antiuser (Reply 10):
He could've got away with it if he spoke Portuguese... since in Portuguese the words for "pump" and "bomb" are the same.

Certinho cara....uma Bomba!

amazonphil
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

northernlights

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:51 am

Why he did not just say it was some sort of cooking/gardening/sewing device is beyond me? Or request a piece of paper and write it down.

I of course totaly agree with the fact the guy is a plain idiot, he could have come up with any other explanation of what his pump actually was... But instead used the word "bomb". He of course should be heavily reprimanded, maybe given a fine of some sort... But a 3 year old prison sentence (if this would turn out to be true!) is as silly as him saying the "B-word"!!!

None of us actually have been at the airport in line at the security check with this silly passenger. But what all of us here seem to forget is, how inhumane US security checks can be. I have seen a few times that security officers shout loudly at people going through security checks, as if they were drilling them for the army ("Take off your shoes, NOW SIR!!!). On my last trip to the States, there was this young (American) guy that got in such a panic after being shouted at, that he totally forgot to take his personal belongings from the X-ray securitybelt. This of course led again to another crisis situation in which none of the security officers seemed to want to remove the bag from the belt, even though it had already been scanned by the X-ray machine for the fear it could contain something more dangerous than a penis pump!!!

NYC777

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:43 am

More than likely he won;t see any jail time..just be on probabtion. He wouldn't survive in prsion one day the way he's going.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

PlainSmart

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:58 am

I am sure everyone here has been nervous and made irrational or in hindsight incorrect decisions at some time. Yes, this was an extreme case but I guess I can see why he did such a foolish thing. I liked the suggestion to play it off as a cooking aid!! hah

agill

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:24 am

I'm watching "scare tactics" at the moment, and it's pretty clear that scared people under pressure doesn't always make the most obvious choices.

squawk0303

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:35 am

ROFL!!!

somebody hand this guy a trophy

AsstChiefMark

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Squawk0303 (Reply 24):
somebody hand this guy a trophy

I present the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

northernlights

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:09 am

OK everybody... This here seems to be the real story and it prooves once again that one should always listen to 2 sides of a story before making any conclusions!
IMHO the security officer overreacted and the whole thing turns out to be a joke on behalf of the US security services - LOL (or is this just my European point of view???)   

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/.../24/ap/strange/mainD8JN2B3O1.shtml
It Just Looks Like a Penis Pump Mom
Chicago judge allows penis pump airport security case to proceed

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A Cook County judge has decided there is enough evidence to prosecute a man who says an airport security guard misheard him when she thought he said that a sexual device in his backpack was actually a bomb.

Mardin Amin claims he actually told the guard the small, black object was a "pump" _ as in a penis pump.

Amin's attorney said her client was embarrassed to explain the object in front of his mother, who was traveling with him, so he whispered. The guard misunderstood, and thought he said "bomb," according to defense attorney Eileen O'Neill-Burke.

"His mother is standing there so, under his breath, he says, 'It's a pump. Put it away. Put it away,'" O'Neill-Burke told The Associated Press on Thursday. The guard asked him again and he repeated that the object was a pump, the attorney said.

O'Neill-Burke added that Amin, an Iraqi, has a thick accent and she herself had trouble understanding him until he brought the pump to her office and showed it to her. She said she recently learned that Arabic speakers sometimes have trouble distinguishing the sounds "p" and "b."

However, Judge Gerald Winiecki decided there was sufficient evidence for the case to move forward after the female security guard testified that she heard Amin "clearly" say the word bomb on Aug. 16 at O'Hare International Airport.

Amin, 29, of Skokie, is charged with felony disorderly conduct and faces up to three years in prison if convicted. He was released on $75,000 bond and is due back in court Sept. 13. O'Neill-Burke said he will plead not guilty then.

Amin told the Chicago Sun-Times after the hearing that security officials did not give him a chance to explain the misunderstanding, that he would never use the word "bomb" while going through a security checkpoint, and does not consider a penis pump an unusual object to own.

"It's normal," he said. "Half of America they use it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But then again... The security officer was programmed: IRAQI + BUMB = TERRORIST       

[Edited 2006-08-26 00:13:41]

[Edited 2006-08-26 00:14:48]

[Edited 2006-08-26 00:16:25]

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 am

I think he'll only get 1yr in jail or he'll get probation. Three years is exaggerating.

I agree, request a piece of paper and write it down. He had a right to do it.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Northernlights (Reply 26):
the security officer overreacted and the whole thing turns out to be a joke on behalf of the US security services

Wrong, pal. She was doing her job. There are signs throughout airports that tell people that joking about bombs, etc. are taken seriously and that violators will be prosecuted. What part of that did this numb dick passenger not understand?

Mark

[Edited 2006-08-26 00:18:41]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

haggis79

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:17 am

that was actually the first thing I thought when I heard about this... "may they just have misunderstood 'pump' for 'bomb'"?
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

Skip17

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:21 am

He is not being punished for the fact that he was bringing a sexual aid. The guy said it was a Bomb! He was being punished for bringing a HIGHLY prohibited item onboard

haggis79

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 28):
Wrong, pal. He was doing his job. There are signs throughout airports that tell people that joking about bombs, etc. are taken seriously and that violators will be prosecuted. What part of that did this numb dick passenger not understand?

Mark

well, if you read carefully than it seems to be that "this numb dick passenger" understood the signs quite well... he just may have happened to pronounce the word "pump" wrongly so it sounded like "bomb" to american ears...

I wonder if you were travelling in Germany if you would pronounce "Pumpe" in a way that it doesn't sound like "Bombe" to untrained German ears...  bomb 
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

northernlights

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 28):
Wrong, pal. He was doing his job. There are signs throughout airports they tell people that joking about bombs, etc. are taken seriously and that violators will be prosecuted. What part of that did this numb dick passenger not understand?

Mark, first of all... I am not your pal  Wink
If (and I repeat IF) Amin tells the truth as quoted in his side of the story below, then the whole thing has been a terrible misunderstanding if the guy actually said PUMP and not BOMB - Please read the story carefully before taking any hasty conclusions... Hasty conclusions have not prooved to be the right conslusions in world history, just ask Bush and Powell  Wink

Quoting Northernlights (Reply 26):
Mardin Amin claims he actually told the guard the small, black object was a "pump" _ as in a penis pump.

Amin's attorney said her client was embarrassed to explain the object in front of his mother, who was traveling with him, so he whispered. The guard misunderstood, and thought he said "bomb," according to defense attorney Eileen O'Neill-Burke.

"His mother is standing there so, under his breath, he says, 'It's a pump. Put it away. Put it away,'" O'Neill-Burke told The Associated Press on Thursday. The guard asked him again and he repeated that the object was a pump, the attorney said.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 31):
he just may have happened to pronounce the word "pump" wrongly so it sounded like "bomb" to american ears...

He lives in Skokie. Experience should tell him what parts of his speech Americans have trouble with. He should have spelled the word. That's what I do when someone misunderstands me.

Mark

haggis79

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 33):
He lives in Skokie. Experience should tell him what parts of his speech Americans have trouble with. He should have spelled the word. That's what I do when someone misunderstands me

what he says is they didn't give him a chance to explain the misunderstanding... a thing I can truly imagine given how nervous everyone seems to be about airport security in the US as well as in Europe at the moment... besides, I really want to see you remain calm and rational trying to explain this security guy something what your mother/wife/whoever better wouldn't overhear while she is standing right next to you with the security guy also getting overheated quickly... but of course noone in TSA is being hypercritical, ever...

what I want to say is, if this story is correct, than sending him to prison would be, in my humble opinion, highly exaggerated... I don't say he didn't do any mistakes, but I do say it's not alone his fault then. Of course we can also just go on saying everything went absolutely correctly and it's all this guy's fault, as many people did after the shooting of the guy on this AA flight in Miami in December as well....

turkee

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:26 am

Everybody who is chanting that three years is not a fair sentence - he hasn't been sentenced, and I would be very surprised if he gets sentenced to longer than six months in prison, if any prison time at all. Expect a fine.

Anybody who still has faith in the justice system in this day and age (!) should take comfort in the fact that a stupid mistake should not carry the same sentence as a deliberate act of terrorism.

galapagapop

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:31 am

Going to Jail justs costs people more money. He should be forced to pay a fine equal to the amount of damage costs from what he did in the form of delays, paperwork, and police time. No jail time needed. Otherwise I suggest letting him be a guiny pig for medicine for a couple years, heck if he were to work at Viagra it won't be a punishment anymore and everyones happy.

alaskaqantas

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:21 am

ohh boy, My taxes just went up because of something this stupid, well actually I don't pay taxes myself, but my parents do  Wink.

If he was embarrassed about his mum knowing that he had a pump THEN... I don't see how this is in the least bit better Big grin
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
3 years is a wee bit much
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

AirWillie6475

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:21 am

NO IT'S ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING. It was blown way over by the media. What happened was this guys had a middle eastern accent and when security asked him what the object was he said pump but in his accent it sounded like bamb, as in bomb. Before you go calling names make sure you know the facts.

[Edited 2006-08-26 04:22:18]

csturdiv

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 2):
Well, he can certainly use the pump if he has to spend three years in jail....

Thanks, I just about choked on my hamburger when I read that.  rotfl 
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

andessmf

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:36 pm

Seems like a misunderstanding to me. The guy being Arab did not help either. Frankly, I highly doubt he will spend any jail time at all. Passengers joking about their luggage has been a problem since way before 9/11, and will continue to be a problem.

And for Heaven's sake, why would you even travel with your sex toys! They are private and shall be kept so. Putting them in luggage is an invitation for embarrasment.

ANCFlyer

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:29 pm

Cook County prosecutors say a 29-year-old man traveling with his mother desperately didn't want her to know he'd packed a sexual aid for their trip to Turkey. So he told security it was a bomb, officials said.

faint 

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 1):
They really should sentence him to fourth grade, not the Cook County pen.

rotfl 

Lighten up Francis . . . the guy'll get a fine at most; probably a slap on the wrist and go to the house. . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

searpqx

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:29 pm

As noted, if he faced any punishment it would have been for saying he had a bomb, and had nothing to do with having a sex toy in his luggage.

Having said that, I'd almost put money that he won't face any jail time. If it actually goes all the way through prosecution, he'll likely be fined and slapped with probation.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"