Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

S12PPL
Topic Author

College Football Is Here Today!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:13 am

Well, today is the start of the college football season!

Locally tonight, Oregon State will host Eastern Washington University.

Anyone else have a game tonight??

Go Beavs!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

deltagator

RE: College Football Is Here Today!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 am

Hell Yeah! Screw baseball...the real sport of football is back!

South Carolina is taking on Mississippi State in the SEC tonight. I'm heading down to the Smyrna city square and taking in the game on a big screen and the comforting southern rock sounds of Drivin' N' Cryin' tonight to kick it all off.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:32 am

I'll be watching the Cowboys Vikings game tonight, as those games listed above aren't very interesting to me...Saturday night though, ND vs. GT....
GO IRISH
Go big or go home

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:35 am

Ah yes...Notre Dame...big TV contract, inclusion in the BCS, and they haven't done much since the last title in the 80s. They have a great history but lately they have been underachievers. I'll be interested to see how they do this year though. They look like they might be able to get out of their funk.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 3):
hey have a great history but lately they have been underachievers.

Excluding the MSU and the OSU game they played great last year. They should have beaten USC, but were robbed...I think they do deserve the #2 ranked spot. I really hope its a OSU v. ND National Championship....
Go big or go home

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 4):
They should have beaten USC, but were robbed

No, they should have stopped Leinert from leaping.

But yes, I do think they will be good this year. As much as I know the SEC is the toughest conference I will admit that ND plays a damn tough schedule week after week. Perhaps if Florida can get past our muderous late September/all of October schedule we'll be right there in the hunt.

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:33 am

Come on, football fans, sing along with me:

"It's that most wonderful time of the year..."

Anyways, I'm psyched...only game of interest to me tonight is Toledo @ Iowa State cause thats the only one with a Big 12 school tonight, and here's to hoping the Rockets can pull an unlikely upset over the Cyclones...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 6):
Toledo @ Iowa State cause thats the only one with a Big 12 school tonight

We really should have an intervention with you. Big12? Come on now.

My Gators have SouthernMiss this weekend but I'm really looking forward to the HalfAssU/Miami game on Saturday night. What a great game for the first week.

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:43 am

Rockets can pull an unlikely upset over the Cyclones...

Just like UNT will win over UT....Gag me!
Go big or go home

monorail

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:46 am

Arizona State opens tonight against NAU, I'll definitely be there. It's going to take a few games to see if starting Carpenter over Keller was a wise decision. (I think Keller transfered to Nebraska). It'll be a fun game tonight anyway. Plus I get to go on the field at halftime.
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):

We really should have an intervention with you. Big12? Come on now.

Hey, whats wrong with taking an interest in the games of the conference in which the school I go to is in???????

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting S12PPL (Thread starter):
College Football Is Here Today!

Who's got the cargo bay pic?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 11):

Go play grab ass I mean, 'football.'

Come back to this thread when you actually know what's going on.
Go big or go home

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 12):
Go play grab ass I mean, 'football.'

Come back to this thread when you actually know what's going on.

Come on, man. You were dishing it out in the World Cup threads. Whassamatter? Can't take what you so readily give?  Wink

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 13):
Come on, man. You were dishing it out in the World Cup threads. Whassamatter? Can't take what you so readily give?

I was actually defending the WC. I found the Zidane hit enertaining...
Go big or go home

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
I was actually defending the WC. I found the Zidane hit enertaining...

Ahh, I apologize. I assume that this must be the 'grab ass' that you refer to, then...

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:19 am

http://www2.isye.gatech.edu/people/faculty/Marc_Goetschalckx/cali/Personal/Soccer%20Free%20Kick.jpg
Go big or go home

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 10):
Hey, whats wrong with taking an interest in the games of the conference in which the school I go to is in???????

Nothing at all. But if you want some good football come to the SEC. Of course a Big12 school won the championship last year so perhaps I stand corrected. I'm more referring to the incredibly gay, though I hear it no longer happens, practice of throwing marshmellows at Colorado games. You could also counter the Big12 North is a horrid outcropping of 6 bad football schools.

IFEMaster

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 16):

Haha! Good comeback. Although I'd like to see what your face would look like when an inflated leather ball is heading right for your 'nads at 80mph.

monorail

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 15):

Of course you had to choose an ASU pic...  wink 

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Monorail (Reply 19):
Of course you had to choose an ASU pic... wink

LOL. Sorry about that. It was actually just the first one google gave me.

aislepathlight

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 18):

Haha! Good comeback. Although I'd like to see what your face would look like when an inflated leather ball is heading right for your 'nads at 80mph.

How about a 100 mph base ball? Nice and hard.

I am really happy about football being back. I love baseball, but football is also great. I am really pumped up about going to a game up in U of M this year.

This year should be fun in college football, with USC and Texas being shadows of what they used to be.
bleepbloop

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting AislepathLight (Reply 21):
How about a 100 mph base ball? Nice and hard.

I was hit in the happy-sacks by a cricket ball at about that speed when I was 14. That's pretty similar.

Good job I was wearing a jock-box, but even that got broken.

monorail

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting AislepathLight (Reply 21):

This year should be fun in college football, with USC and Texas being shadows of what they used to be.

Indeed. It's high time they shared the wealth. Good for us at ASU, we may have a shot at the Pac 10 title this year.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 11):

I won't get into a debate over which is more popular, the WC or College Football....

But this sport actualy is popular!

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
Nothing at all. But if you want some good football come to the SEC.

I'm quite happy in the Big 12, thanks...but as you already know I will be getting my first ever taste of life in the SEC in a few weeks when I follow my Buffs on the road to Athens...I understand you have SEC pride, and thats cool, but you have to remember that there are 107 other I-A football teams who do not play in the SEC...there is life outside of the SEC in college football!!!!  Wink...but we'll talk more on this Im sure after I get back from the Georgia game and have first hand experienced it..

though I hear it no longer happens, practice of throwing marshmellows at Colorado games.

This practice was outlawed following the 2003 season (my freshman year), sadly...theres nothing "gay" about it, it was a unique and very fun Colorado tradition, but some dumbasses decided to ruin it for everyone...

You could also counter the Big12 North is a horrid outcropping of 6 bad football schools.

Gotta love the parity in the North!!! Every year as of late its a wide open race to who wins it, and it usually comes down to the last week of action...this year is no exception, its still wide open...I'll agree that the South is superior to the North, theres no doubt about that (although I feel the gap is closing a little bit this year), but Kansas State in 2003 proved that the South aint invincible (Kansas State 35, Oklahoma 7 in the B12 title game)...yes, my Buffs have played horribly in the past 2 B12 title games, and I make no excuses for it, but the excitement of the North race makes up for it, IMO, and I look forward to another great season of football...

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 24):
But this sport actualy is popular!

In the US? Of course it is. No-one in their right mind would argue against that.

monorail

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:51 am

practice of throwing marshmellows at Colorado games.

Marshmellows are way too small anyway. We throw tortillas. Big grin They've tried to stop us but it never works.

flymia

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:04 am

I got my tickets to whats always one of the best games of the year. FSU VS THE U . its going to be great cant wait.
GO CANES!

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 26):
In the US? Of course it is. No-one in their right mind would argue against that.

Well if your talking about American Football than, hey Canada and parts of Europe seem to like it alot too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 25):
Gotta love the parity in the North!!!

You say parity, I say mediocrity.  Wink

but as you already know I will be getting my first ever taste of life in the SEC in a few weeks when I follow my Buffs on the road to Athens

I hate the Dawgs (obviously by the username) but you picked a great place to get an intro to SEC football.

I understand you have SEC pride, and thats cool, but you have to remember that there are 107 other I-A football teams who do not play in the SEC

And they all suck!  Wink

there is life outside of the SEC in college football!!!!

Yes there is...it's just not that good. In the SEC football is a religious experience.  Wink

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 8):
Rockets can pull an unlikely upset over the Cyclones...

Just like UNT will win over UT....Gag me!

So close...so close...if the above quote holds true, I'd be worried about the Mean Green's visit to Austin  Wink

Final score from Ames:
Iowa State 45, Toledo 43 in 3OT
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200608310019

Greg

senorcarnival

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:19 pm

My TV schedule this evening included:

ESPN2 BC @ CMU (CMU actually stood a chance early before BC realized who they were about to lose to)
ESPN USC (the other USC) @ MSU (Spurrier showing off his tricks on primetime again...)
FCSP EWU @ OSU (is EWU a high school team? This game has plenty of offensive highlights but these announcers are really making me tired..)
CSTV UTEP @ SDSU

I'm wanting them to show the NAU @ ASU game though.

EDIT: to clarify my view on the OSU game.

[Edited 2006-09-01 06:29:03]
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

MD-90

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Oh God, why have thou forsaken us a damn offense AGAIN!?

Our D was pretty good tonight. Now Spurrier finally has a victory at the one SEC school he could never manage to win at during the Florida years.

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 31):
I'm wanting them to show the NAU @ ASU game though.

I kinda want to see this game too...NAU is really doing well against ASU, 14-14 at the end of the 3rd...Im sure Monorail will fill us in when he gets back at some point with all the gory details...

Greg

monorail

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 33):
Monorail will fill us in when he gets back at some point with all the gory details...

Oh god, up until the fourth that was one of the ugliest and embarrasing games Sun Devil fans have had to endure for quite some time. Up there with that home loss to Stanford last year. We all got really concerned in the third when we still hadn't taken control, and against NAU of all teams! Anyway we caught a BIG break when we got away with an offsides on the play we returned the interception for the score. That TD clinched it. 35-14 final, but that was ugly.

The band did a tribute to Carlos Santana at the half (they usually alternate between Paul Simon and Aerosmith, I didn't think they knew anyone else), and it looked like he was there too. However my friends and I were at odds whether or not it was him since they did not make an official announcement. I'm pretty sure it is:

I did get a shot of myself on the Jumbotron at the half when I was on the field! (I've got the red hat)

[Edited 2006-09-01 08:02:02]

copaair737

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 pm

I'm looking forward to the Fresno State-Nevada tilt tomorrow. Should be entertaining. Dwayne Wright and Clifton Smith, both speedsters hampered by knee injuries return for the dogs.
However, the game I'm looking forward to the most this weekend is the Free Shoes U.-Miami game. I think Miami squeaks by 13-6, however, anything is possible since we have the inept LLLarry Scapecoker as the coach. Hope he gets shitcanned soon.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:35 pm

Well, I just got home from the Oregon State game.

OSU just flat dominated every aspect of the game tonight. 56-17 final. EWU finally got to score some points when Riley called up the kids from the local high schools to finish the game.....  Silly

Sean Canfield looked impressive as a red shirt freshman that will take over the helm next season when Moore graduates. This season, should Moore go down with another season ending injury, the QB possition will be in good hands.

Yvenson Bernard will make noise this year as a Jr. running back...He could even make noise for the Heisman next season. He is small, VERY strong, and shifty. He made moves tonight that just left guys all crossed up.

Next week is the big test for OSU. A trip to Boise State will show what this team really has early this season. If they dominate BSU the way they did EWU tonight, I see them going bowling again, and an 9 or 10 win season. OSU plays 13 games this season.

copaair737

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 36):
Next week is the big test for OSU. A trip to Boise State will show what this team really has early this season. If they dominate BSU the way they did EWU tonight, I see them going bowling again, and an 9 or 10 win season. OSU plays 13 games this season.

The Boise tilt is going to be a good one. I've watched the past two between BSU and OSU. It will be a test this season. Boise murdered Sacramento State 45-0 tonight. Boise will come fired up, however I do see Oregon State pulling out a squeaker on the smurf turf. One of my good friends goes to school there, so I pull for them when they aren't playing the Canes. The beating OSU layed on Notre Shame in the Fiesta Bowl in 2000-2001 under Erickson was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed.

-Copa

[Edited 2006-09-01 08:40:40]

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 37):
The beating OSU layed on Notre Shame in the Fiesta Bowl in 2000-2001 under Erickson was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed.

And the second beating they put on them in the Insignt Bown in 2004.

Then they couldn't even lure away OSU's baseball coach after OSU won the national title....

JetJock22

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:38 am

Can't wait for tomorrow. Road to the National Title begins. O-H!!!!

NDSchu777

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 38):
Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 37):
The beating OSU layed on Notre Shame in the Fiesta Bowl in 2000-2001 under Erickson was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed.

And the second beating they put on them in the Insignt Bown in 2004.

I do have to admit those were definitely new lows for the program.  embarrassed 

But fortunately the Davieham years are over at ND and we now have a robot-genius of a coach in Charlie Weis. I've been waiting for this Saturday for 8 months and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to open presents.  hyper 

GO IRISH!!! Beat the Yellow Jackets!

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting NDSchu777 (Reply 40):
I do have to admit those were definitely new lows for the program.

Winningham wasn't even given a fair shake. He'll make UW a competator. And when he takes UW to some BCS games, Irish fans will never admit he's a great coach....

copaair737

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:35 am

IIRC, didn't Willingham start out with a great year in South Bend, and the wheels fell off from there? I think that ND gets upset tomorrow @ GT. Just a gut feeling. When the wheels fall off again for the Irish, I'll laugh.

-Copa

copaair737

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Fresno State held off Nevada-Reno today 28-19. Dwayne Wright, in his first game in nearly 2 years, ran for 158 yards and a TD. Looked great. Fresno has a tough test next week against the University of Oregon. Should be a good one.

-Copa

QXatFAT

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:10 pm

Thats right Copa, my Fresno State Bulldogs won. Great way to start the season but we need to finish it this year. The last few min loss last year to USC is what killed us. Almost pulled off the win. This year with Williams and Fernandez still here at WR we look pretty good.
Don't Tread On Me!

copaair737

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 44):
Thats right Copa, my Fresno State Bulldogs won. Great way to start the season but we need to finish it this year. The last few min loss last year to USC is what killed us. Almost pulled off the win. This year with Williams and Fernandez still here at WR we look pretty good.

The 'Dogs are my team too. I like them and the Miami Hurricanes. That USC game was nuts last year. Hopefully this year, there aren't any more collapses, and we head to a BCS bowl.

-Copa

aislepathlight

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 39):
O-H!!!!

I-O!!!!!!
bleepbloop

aa61hvy

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:58 am

As much as it pains me to say this, but Ohio State looks real good right now...Teddy Gin is playing great, but NIU is no UT....UT whaled on UNT today...
Go big or go home

fxramper

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:27 am

No disappointment today at the game. Saw UT kill UNT. Colt McCoy looks just as good as V Young, if not better, when he was a beginning starter. Can't wait till next Saturday! #1 OSU vs. #2 UT, already got my seat reserved thanks to Boeingfever777.

Hookem Horns Yall.  bouncy 

aa61hvy

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:37 am

Wolfe from NIU is an amazing player...Wow, look out for this kid.
Go big or go home