B737-112
Topic Author

Question Regarding Identifying Asians

Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:37 pm

I was curious if people worldwide can tell the exact origin of Asians by looking, for example can you tell if a person is Japanese, Thai, Korean or Chinese or for that matter Filipino or Vietnamese. What obvious differences do you notice with Japanese versus Chinese? Honestly I actually have a hard time with this, for some reason for me Filipinos stand out and I can almost pick them out of a crowd but I think that's because I worked with so many the differences became obvious, but I'm lost with the others. This is just a curiousity thing to try to improve my racial knowledge, if any Asians are offended by an open and honest question, I apologize up front.

[Edited 2006-09-04 08:48:45]

ArmitageShanks

RE: Question Regarding Asians, For Non Asians

Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:43 pm

After working in a Japanese resturaunt with a lot of different people I can tell a difference between Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese features pretty well.

Korean features are easy to distinquish from other Asian features as well.

[Edited 2006-09-04 08:44:11]

AirWillie6475

RE: Question Regarding Identifying Asians

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:06 pm

Isn't this a racist thread or what? But since you're asking, go look at pictures people from these countries. If you study the photos for an hour you will start to notice the differences. It's very easy to tell if people are Japanese, Koreans, Chinese and South./Eastern Asians, especially the Japanese.

FriendlySkies

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:07 pm

I can usually tell between the various nationalities...korean and japanese is difficult sometime but there are definately distinguishing features (facial features, skin tone, hair, etc...). It's similar to Europe in a way...

searpqx

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 2):
Isn't this a racist thread or what?

It could have been more tactfully stated, but I don't think its racist on its surface, no more so than asking how to tell the difference between Northern and Souther Europeans.

I found that after being in Asia for a very short time, I can start to notice distinguishing features. What was funny was that in Hawaii, where everyone is a mixture of backgrounds, its actually easier to tell the difference between the origins of most people.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

christeljs

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I don't think it is at all. Sometimes I get into talk with Asian people and I generally wonder where they are from (not because I would be a rascist, but because I love Asian people and I am just curious).

I'm sure it work the same way for Asian people towards the 'white'. I can tell Scandinavians, English & Americans apart easily
 Big grin (But obviously not in a rascist way  banghead 
Christel A Photography

AirWillie6475

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:43 pm

The thread starter implies that they all look the same, that is why he is apologising in advance.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 6):

The thread starter implies that they all look the same, that is why he is apologising in advance.

....?

What thread are you looking at?

I seem to have the most difficulty between Koreans and Chinese. There probably could be Chinese sub-categories as well, much like Europe.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

PanHAM

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:01 pm

reminds me of a scene in one of the best TV series of all times. MASH, when a Korean asked by Lt.Col Blake to identify a US Soldier replied: "You all look alike"

-  Wink
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

tsaord

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Tahst like me I couldnt tell the difference between a Puerto Rican and a Mexican. Now working in an Airport with different spanish speakers I'm getting better at it.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

copaair737

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:08 pm

I wonder myself. I know greetings in numerous Asian languages, so I try and speak to people. Often, my Mandarin greeting doesn't work as the person is Korean, and they get pissed. I'm not trying to be a prick, just friendly. So, you're not alone, often I find myself asking the same thing. What would make the person starting the thread racist anyway? They do all generally look alike.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

HAWK21M

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:25 pm

I can tell between a Chinese,Japanese & Vietnamese.However its tough with koreans.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

pacificjourney

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Korerans are easy, they're the ones hunched over from that big chip on their shoulder.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

aa757first

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:09 am

No.

AAndrew

ba747yyz

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
Korean features are easy to distinquish from other Asian features as well.

Every Korean I know has a flat face, which makes it easy to tell.

And if you go by last names if it has more than one silible it is most likely Japanese.

B737-112
Topic Author

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:41 pm

AirWillie6475, I don't appreciate you trying to start a war by saying my thread is "racist" and also what you stated above my text in this post. What you fail to understand is that I acknowledge there are vast differences between these ethnicities and am I saying by my own admission that I have a hard time distingiushing those differences. Does that make me racist, not at all, maybe just not the sharpest tool in the shed. That's why I posted this, I feel bad and I'd like to correct what is obviously a shortcoming on my part.

Ryan