Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirCop
Topic Author

College Football Results Week #2

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:12 am

My Buffs will bounce back from last week's humiliating embarrassment, and will trounce archrival CSU 41-17 on neutral site at Invesco Field @ Mile High...

CSU SUCKS, GO BUFFS!

Greg

Couldn't help myself. Now will someone send the EMT to Colorado (Sounds like a job for AsstChiefMark). CSU 14 Buffs 10. (if should be noted the 1AA team that Colorado lost to last week, lost to a Division 2 team this week)

Yes, its two in a row for my alma mater, Northern Michigan again coming back from a 14-0 deficit to win 31-24 over that powerhouse Hillsdale.

Local interest; as expected Arizona got destroyed 45-3 by LSU.
Now for your favorite game fire away.

[Edited 2006-09-10 04:14:12]

Boston92

RE: College Football Results Week #2

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:15 am

The Irsih killed PSU 41-17. (This is a good thing!)

USAFHummer

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting AirCop (Thread starter):
Couldn't help myself. Now will someone send the EMT to Colorado (Sounds like a job for AsstChiefMark). CSU 14 Buffs 10. (if should be noted the 1AA team that Colorado lost to last week, lost to a Division 2 team this week)

Yes, this week I think I may need EMT help...while we showed improvement over last week's sorry ass performance, there's still plenty to be fixed...here's the analysis

1. Coach Hawk wisely decided to sit Cox this game, instead playing Bernard Jackson at QB...Jackson is more of the Vince Young/Brad Smith type running/scrambling QB, except he aint anywheres as good as either of those two...again, Coach Hawk called a conservative game, with lots of running and most passes being east-west (Jackson went 9 for 14 which is surprising because he is the worst passer in our QB corps), which means relying on our receiving core for some YAC...our receivers are amongst the weakest in the B12, so you can see that the east-west game failed miserably...our rushing was also miserable...the summary here: our offense really really really sucks and needs help...next week I expect Hawkins to again rotate QB's and finally give Brian White a chance to strut his stuff...White is a pure passer, has proven ability, and IMO should've been the starter from the get-go, but if we don't find someone to play QB, we're screwed...

2. Defensively, this game brought mixed reviews from me...we were able to get good pressure on CSU's QB and get a handful of sacks, particularly when it mattered (3rd downs, for instance), and our rush defense was acceptable...however, for the second straight week, our pass defense was absolutely atrocious...CSU's QB went 20-23 (2 of the incompletions going on throwaways under pressure, meaning only 1 legit incompletion for him)...the reason they have so much success is that basically the trick to beating our pass game is to throw short passes underneath, our secondary plays deep and leaves the short passes wide open for the other offense...combine that with some shoddy tackling on our part, and that is a gaping hole in our defensive scheme...our defensive coaches need to find a way to solidify the pass defense or we're going to get hammered in the pass game every single time we're on defense...

3. Shitty clock management...end of the first half, we were driving deep in CSU territory without a timeout...less than 15 seconds left, Jackson throws a completion over the middle...WTF???? The clock runs out before he has a chance to get the offense set up so that he can spike it and stop the clock for a field goal try...that's 3 points lost there...

4. While this is no one's fault, more of a bad luck thing another 3 points lost occured when we had 4th down at the CSU 44...for any other team in the nation, that's a punting situation...for the Colorado Buffaloes, who feature the nation's most powerful kicker in Mason Crosby, that's a FG try...Crosby stepped up and drilled the 61 yard FG, but regrettably, after the ball sailed through the uprights, the ref ruled that CSU had called timeout before the snap, negating the FG...he missed the second attempt after the timeout wide left...

5. Lastly, the refs...Im not one to automatically make refs the scapegoats if we lose, but in this case the refereeing was absolutely atrocious...lots of missed calls (while both sides were affected, most of the missed calls should've benefited us), and you could tell that Coach Hawk was thinking the same cause several times after said missed calls he went out on the field to give the refs a piece of his mind...was the refereeing the only factor? No...but it may have made a difference in such a tightly contested game...

Whatever optimism I had left is slowly waning...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

deltagator

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:04 pm

Florida 42-0 over Central Florida.

I expected more out of O'Leary's team given the improvements they have made under him. Oh well, a small tuneup for Tennessess this coming weekend.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

piercey

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 1):

Yup  Smile

Also a good thing is BC beating Clemson, 34-33 in 2OT  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

AirCop
Topic Author

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:40 pm

Looks like the WAC had some fun with the PAC-10, with both Boise State and San Jose St winning with one game still in doubt.

Love the decision for Air Force to go for 2 pt to win the game in regulation instead on going to o/t which they wouldn't have stood a chance with Tennessee. Guess the Vols will have to play better next week..

MD-90

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Yup, South Carolina got thumped by Georgia. How ya like that, Visormort?

Meanwhile, it is quite embarassing that MSU is the only team in the nation that has not yet scored any points whatsoever in the 2006 season.

JetJock22

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:14 pm

Someone told me there was a fairly decent game going in Texas tonight. I guess the team from Ohio won............

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CO7e7

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:26 pm

OHIO STATE beat the crap outta TEXAS!!!

yeah baby... party's on!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUCKS

-Zaki

ordryan28

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 1):

yup... I was there (obviously). penn state looked like they were a division 3 team in this game
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

ordryan28

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 4):

that is a bad thing, I hate BC, lol

misbeehavin

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting Ordryan28 (Reply 9):
yup... I was there (obviously). penn state looked like they were a division 3 team in this game

That was quite a performance from Brady & Co today... We totally whipped Penn State!

Heck, the Lions' little meow was pitiful.  Smile

Go Irish!

Boston92

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 4):
Also a good thing is BC beating Clemson, 34-33 in 2OT

Oh yeah!

Quoting Ordryan28 (Reply 9):

Yeah, but I would not say that PSU looked bad, it be more that ND looked great.

AirCop
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 2):
Yes, this week I think I may need EMT help...while we showed improvement over last week's sorry ass performance, there's still plenty to be fixed..

Now the passing attack of Arizona State is coming to town..

ordryan28

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 12):

Yeah, but I would not say that PSU looked bad, it be more that ND looked great.

exactly

TPAnx

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:55 am

Time for Bobby Bowden to wake up...
GO GATORS!!!
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

sccutler

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:07 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 8):
OHIO STATE beat the crap outta TEXAS!!!

yeah baby... party's on!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUCKS

I flew to Austin for that silly excuse for a ball game, and have several observations:

1. My new standard for dedication to team is Ohio Buckeyes fans. What a bunch, giving Austin a decidedly-red look. It was estimated as many as 40,000 Ohio State fans would show up- without tickets- and I believe it.

2. The Ohio State fans were rowdy in a pleasant (dare I say, classy?) way.

3. You can't win if you leave the defense in the locker room, especially with a green QB.

Even with some questionable officiating, the game was not even close after the first quarter.

4. I have never seen as many jets on one ramp as I saw when I taxied up to Atlantic Aviation (formerly, Trajen); they were giving big-time service. There was everything in the bizjet spectrum, including the usual gaggle of Citations, G-II through -V, a private BAC-146 (!), a private Dornier 328Jet (nice ride), and a chartered DC9.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

JetJock22

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:09 pm

SCCutler, we are a VERY sick bunch of human beings. In fact, as a Buckeye fan, I consider myself worse than a Red Sox fan. But one thing is for sure, I wouldn't trade my Buckeyes for anything. How firm thy friendship - O-HI-O..

sccutler

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 17):
SCCutler, we are a VERY sick bunch of human beings.

...maybe that's why I enjoyed having 'em in Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium.

But what's up with the beads and glasses and stuff? Kinda goofy.

'Course, you want "goofy," visit Kyle Field at Texas A&M (and they're good hosts, too).
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

senorcarnival

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 18):
But what's up with the beads and glasses and stuff? Kinda goofy.

Some fans thought it would be funny to dress up like Jim Tressel, with the glasses and his vest (http://www.hangonsloopy.com/teamshop/ProductDisplay.aspx?ProductId=799.) They usually show these kids on TV during games. I think it's pretty funny, I was considering being Jim Tressel for Halloween but now a)he's probably persona non-grata in Texas and b)his vest costs $55.

I just got done watching a tivod Oregon/FSU game and it was a heck of a game. Lots of action on both sides of the ball and enough special teams shenanigans all around (fake FGs, blocked FGs.) Can't wait for next week's showdown against the Sooners!
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 5):
Looks like the WAC had some fun with the PAC-10, with both Boise State and San Jose St winning with one game still in doubt.

At the end of the day, they're still the WAC, and who wants that?

Dennis Erickson's return to Pullman ended up being a pathetic showing in the 89th Battle of the Palouse, as even our 4th string running back had an 80-yard TD run.

Washington State - 56
Idaho - 10

Takes some of the Auburn pain away...Go Cougs!

ordryan28

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:03 am

all I know is thee attitude around the campus of ND is quite simple from a football standpoint atleast : we want revenge on OSU...in the national championship game.

Go Irish!

next victim : michigan