|Quoting AirCop (Thread starter):|
Couldn't help myself. Now will someone send the EMT to Colorado (Sounds like a job for AsstChiefMark). CSU 14 Buffs 10. (if should be noted the 1AA team that Colorado lost to last week, lost to a Division 2 team this week)
Yes, this week I think I may need EMT help...while we showed improvement over last week's sorry ass performance, there's still plenty to be fixed...here's the analysis
1. Coach Hawk wisely decided to sit Cox this game, instead playing Bernard Jackson at QB
...Jackson is more of the Vince Young/Brad Smith type running/scrambling QB
, except he aint anywheres as good as either of those two...again, Coach Hawk called a conservative game, with lots of running and most passes being east-west (Jackson went 9 for 14 which is surprising because he is the worst passer in our QB
corps), which means relying on our receiving core for some YAC...our receivers are amongst the weakest in the B12, so you can see that the east-west game failed miserably...our rushing was also miserable...the summary here: our offense really really really sucks and needs help...next week I expect Hawkins to again rotate QB
's and finally give Brian White a chance to strut his stuff...White is a pure passer, has proven ability, and IMO should've been the starter from the get-go, but if we don't find someone to play QB
, we're screwed...
2. Defensively, this game brought mixed reviews from me...we were able to get good pressure on CSU
and get a handful of sacks, particularly when it mattered (3rd downs, for instance), and our rush defense was acceptable...however, for the second straight week, our pass defense was absolutely atrocious...CSU
went 20-23 (2 of the incompletions going on throwaways under pressure, meaning only 1 legit incompletion for him)...the reason they have so much success is that basically the trick to beating our pass game is to throw short passes underneath, our secondary plays deep and leaves the short passes wide open for the other offense...combine that with some shoddy tackling on our part, and that is a gaping hole in our defensive scheme...our defensive coaches need to find a way to solidify the pass defense or we're going to get hammered in the pass game every single time we're on defense...
3. Shitty clock management...end of the first half, we were driving deep in CSU
territory without a timeout...less than 15 seconds left, Jackson throws a completion over the middle...WTF???? The clock runs out before he has a chance to get the offense set up so that he can spike it and stop the clock for a field goal try...that's 3 points lost there...
4. While this is no one's fault, more of a bad luck thing another 3 points lost occured when we had 4th down at the CSU
44...for any other team in the nation, that's a punting situation...for the Colorado Buffaloes, who feature the nation's most powerful kicker in Mason Crosby, that's a FG
try...Crosby stepped up and drilled the 61 yard FG
, but regrettably, after the ball sailed through the uprights, the ref ruled that CSU
had called timeout before the snap, negating the FG
...he missed the second attempt after the timeout wide left...
5. Lastly, the refs...Im not one to automatically make refs the scapegoats if we lose, but in this case the refereeing was absolutely atrocious...lots of missed calls (while both sides were affected, most of the missed calls should've benefited us), and you could tell that Coach Hawk was thinking the same cause several times after said missed calls he went out on the field to give the refs a piece of his mind...was the refereeing the only factor? No...but it may have made a difference in such a tightly contested game...
Whatever optimism I had left is slowly waning...