Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr

RE: Multiple Victims Shot Dead At Amish School -- Fox

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 am

I have just heard the Penn. State Police Commander press conference.
The murder is dead, most likely by suricide or possibley killed by cops. He had a handgun and a long gun with him.
His job was to pick up milk from farmers for processing in the area, so he may have know of some of the children. He is in his 30's, not 70. Married and with 3 children. He left suricide notes before he dropped off his kids to their school bus this morning. He was also going to be facing a drug test at his place of work today and may have been a trigger to do this. He apparently had planned this act for several days or more, to get together the stuff he would need to do his crime.
At about 10 am went into this Amish school. He tied up the female students, including a teenaged aide (Amish don't go to school beyond 8 grade/13 years of age, even their teachers don't go to college) and barricated the doors with wood, school desks. He also use wire or tiedows to tie together the vicitms.
There are no phones at the school, per Amish culture rules, but someone from the school (probably the teacher) did go to an adjacent residence to have police called. That call came in at 10:36. The boys and several adult females were relaesed before the cops arrived about 9 minutes later. The police were able to get to his cell phone number, but it came too close for the police to back off, the a-hole started killing and shooting the young female students. 2 students and a student aide, were killed; 4-6 were injured and have been transported to regional hospitals.
It is being said that he wanted revenge for something as to a female 20 years ago. Police are continuing their investigion, that they still need to remove the bodies of the vicitms and the murderer.
Per TV video from helicoptors over the the school, outside a large number of members of the Amish community in the area have gathered around the school site. Let us not forget that even if the there was a gun in the school, no one Amish could kill in self defense. I would assume that the community will be devistated by this event, but that they will conform to their beliefs as to quiet, dignified funerals only of members of their community. They will look at their deep faith for comfort and strength in this difficult time.

NeilYYZ

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 44):
Exactly, how is Mexico supposed to stop crazy people that have billions of foreign dollars at their disposal to operate in their country? I will leave it here, obviously people want other countries to do far more with less than their own could ever do.

This isn't a case of foreign governments and their money. This is a case of a guy going postal. It could happen anywhere at anytime. That's just life. There is no way to pre-determine whose going to go crazy. Sometimes people just snap, and unfortunatly, instead of resolving their problems through socially acceptable means, they end up causing events with tragic consequences.

I feel terrible for the victims and their families. May they rest in peace.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:21 am

Hell has a special place for people who murder innocent little children -- places where even the Devil fears to go.

Someone said that this murdering animal should enjoy heat, presumably because that's where he's going. I'll tell you, I think the opposite: I hope he hates heat with a passion, and that he gets it anyway -- forever.

I'm glad God forgives all sins, because I sure as hell wouldn't.

[Edited 2006-10-02 21:22:15]
What's fair is fair.

[email protected]

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 52):
Someone said that this murdering animal should enjoy heat, presumably because that's where he's going. I'll tell you, I think the opposite: I hope he hates heat with a passion, and that he gets it anyway -- forever.

Yeah, I kind of got that wrong, but you know where I was going with it...

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ThePRGuy

RE: Multiple Victims Shot Dead At Amish School --

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 5):

ANC will be here in a minute....
Lets not start the debate again!
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 53):
Yeah, I kind of got that wrong, but you know where I was going with it...

Of course. You and I are on the same page on this one.
What's fair is fair.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 54):
ANC will be here in a minute....

I was here already . . . .

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
Quoting Rammstein (Reply 5):
Thanks God than in Europe firearms are not so simple to obtain.

sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

EWRCabincrew

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 16):
Sorry if I sound mad, but I am, little children are being blown in schools

Shouldn't this be a under a pedophile topic?  Wink  Silly  stirthepot 

But on a more serious note, the real problem is there no easy solution to this. Anywhere.

Protests, gun control, more lobbying, harder registration, etc. are all nice, but someone will find a way to say it imposes on them and then gets backing from someone else and the vicious cycle repeats. Where do we stop? Where do we start?

Regardless of what needs to be done or when it needs to happen, many families are now left with picking up the pieces of their lives and moving on.

How very sad, indeed.

My condolences to the families.
You can't cure stupid

saintsman

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:35 am

Whilst it may not be true, the USA has promoted an image that if you have a problem, a gun is the answer. You can probably blame TV and movies for that image, after all the USA produce most of the worlds media but never the less it is a problem.

Before he started rambling, Derico had a point. If you really want to change things, nothing grabs politicians attention more than masses of people on the streets.

Whether it be gun control or something else, it is no use people saying that they want change they have to show they mean it. Then the politicians will do something.

More to the point though, RIP little ones.

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:40 am

ANCFlyer and NWA742 attack users repeatedly (as is typical in these threads), but never once voice ANY idea on how to stop these child murders.
Your bone's got a little machine

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting Saintsman (Reply 58):
the USA has promoted an image that if you have a problem, a gun is the answer.

rotfl 

Really . . . .

rotfl 

You think we're all a bunch of cowboys? Perhaps you've been watching too much John Wayne . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

andessmf

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:51 am

the USA has promoted an image that if you have a problem, a gun is the answer

Why do you think his RR rating is so high? His guns get him respect!  sarcastic 
I would not mess with him, unless I want to be 'leaded'.

Instances where gun control 'worked':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_Massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

My condolences go to all the people who suffered these tragedies.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 59):
ANCFlyer and NWA742 attack users repeatedly (as is typical in these threads), but never once voice ANY idea on how to stop these child murders.

Look Hero, as was readily pointed out above, there isn't an answer. People lose their minds all the time. And not just here . . . it happens world wide. If it wasn't a gun, it could have been a knife, a bomb, any damn thing.

Shit, people are blowing themselves up daily in the Middle East . . . think they ought to institute "Bomb Control".

You wanna start this gun control horseshit yet again start another thread. This one isn't about that. . . . Derico already managed to derail it all to hell, he doesn't need your company . . .

But since you brought it up . . . how would YOU stop these crazies from killing kids? You apparently know more than the rest of us, so share your so sacred gawddamn knowledge with the rest of there Stud.  sarcastic 

AsstChiefMark

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 39):
Why do the Amish not use phones?

One of my nursing school's foci was on cultural beliefs and differences. I spent a year learning about the Hmong, Amish, and Mennonites.

As with all religions, there are varying degrees of beliefs. Some Catholic churches still do Latin Masses and believe that English Masses aren't "true" Catholicism. Some don't allow female "assistants" to give Communion. Others are very modern and forward-thinking. The same is true for the Amish. Some Amish communities allow phones and electricity in limited capacities.

In one community, phones may be found in the elders' homes and can only be used in emergencies. In another, members may only use payphones when they go to town. And in another, phones may not be allowed at all.

Electricity may be used in some Amish communities, but only in the shops that manufacture goods that are sold to the outside world. I know of one Amish group that has a computer, but it's only used to market their goods on eBay.

A good example of how Amish communities vary is by their use of Slow Moving Vehicle (SMV) signs on buggies. Some say the bright orange and red signs violate their rules. Others consider the brightly-colored signs as an acceptable safety device. Some allow SMV signs displayed in subdued colors only. Other communities don't allow SMV signs of any kind.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

FlyUSCG

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:04 am

Did anyone notice that Derico's first post was pretty much pulled out of his ass?

Quoting Derico (Reply 12):
The issue isn't firearms anymore, the issue is that Americans seem to do nothing about this whole thing, no protests, nothing. I mean, what will it take to impose discipline in schools?

What the hell does discipline in schools have to do with some crazy grown man barging in and taking students hostage? And then...

In Europe if you get overtime hours cut, the whole country goes on strike, or at the very least transportation.

WTF? Where did this come from? It's not even related to his previous statement or the story as a whole. Nowhere in the article does it talk about overtime working hours.

Yet in the US, not even like a dozen shooting in a week prompt any kind of reaction

...If your gonna make up statistics, at least TRY and make them believable.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 am

ANCFlyer and NWA742 attack users repeatedly (as is typical in these threads), but never once voice ANY idea on how to stop these child murders

777236ER makes some high-horse bullshit comment (as is typical in these threads) and never adds anything else.

As for stopping these child murders, I'll get back to you when I suddenly develop the ability to read someone's mind and predict the future, or if I find someone else who can.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 am

but never once voice ANY idea on how to stop these child murders.

You can't.. thats why it is called random acts of violence. Nobody has a clue when or where it will happen, how do you stop that??

My prayers to all involved in this incident. My hope is the media will back off and let the Amish deal with this on their own terms.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:15 am

If these are random acts of violence, without a cause or a cure, why are they so much more prevalent in the US than anywhere else?

jaysit

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:16 am

How did Mexico enter this fray?

Have the Amish embraced tacos and guacamole?

And what is it with crazy men wanting to murder young women?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Twistedwhisper

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:16 am

Usually the disclaimer comes at the end, I will put it in the beginning as well: THIS IS NOT ONE OF MY "BAN THE GUNS" POSTS!

This is tragedy beyond anything that I can label   . It makes me sick to my stomach to read how this [email protected]$%er can walk in to an
1. amish school, take 10
2. little girls hostage,
3. tie their hands
4. behind their backs and then start to shoot them in the head, one by one. What a [email protected]$%ing coward.
Shit like this has got to be stopped somehow, how on earth are these
[email protected]$%ers able to walk around unnoticed for so long, I mean there must be a major malfunction in the brain of somebody that is capable of doing these kind of things, and there must be a way of detecting them and intercepting them before they do these things. And this is not applicable on the US only, Europe has it's fair share of these [email protected]£€$ as well.

My thoughts and concern goes out to the families of those killed and injured.

Disclaimer:
THIS IS NOT ONE OF MY "BAN THE GUNS" POSTS! This was not done by a gun, this was made by cold blood and a [email protected]$%ed up brain. He might as well have used a knife, the gun has nothing to do with it.

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:24:34]
Read between the lines.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 67):
If these are random acts of violence, without a cause or a cure, why are they so much more prevalent in the US than anywhere else?

I don't think they are more prevelent . . . they happen everywhere. hey get a lot more media attention here for certain - afterall, the big news agencies THRIVE on negative news. Now, that's not to sy they shouldn't get attention - a tragedy like this certainly deseres reporting.

Can you with a straight face provide a source or some proof that the three school shootings in the US in the last 10-14 days makes it a more prevelant problem in the US than elsewhere?

MaverickM11

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):
For Christ's sake, you think THAT will solve the problem?

I hear if you repeat "All we are saying, is give peace a chance" often enough the illegal firearms will disappear. Silly
I don't take responsibility at all

NWOrientDC10

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
The Amish are a peaceable people and I am saddened that violence has found a place today in their midst.

Quoting Nkops (Reply 3):
Thats a shame... they are the most non-violent people you will usually see. I wonder if the shooter was Amish or not, the article doesn't say.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
Who would want to harm the Amish? In a way, I envy them for their simple, peaceful lifestyle.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
Who in the hell would want to harm the Amish??

I lived in Lancaster, PA for most of my life and know that Amish people have been and are targeted for violence. Mainly it is young males (thugs, punks, whatever you want to call them) who attack Amish people because they are easy targets. I've read many articles in the local newspapers there (Intelligencer Journal, Lancaster New Era, and The Sunday News) about some poor Amish person/persons who were attacked and/or had their property vandalized. Mostly they wouldn't press charges as they have a belief in forgiveness. It is sad but things like this have happened and will probably continue to happen  Sad.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 20):
I can't believe this happened to the Amish.

I can't believe it either, not this.

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 38):
What a sick bastard...

At least he shot himself, so I guess it's not a completely sad ending. I do feel bad for this guys family. Not only must they be going through alot of grief but they may be ostracized as well  Sad.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 39):
Why do the Amish not use phones? Especially in a school?

They simply do not believe in using telephones.

http://www.lancasteronline.com/

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

andessmf

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:24 am

Read my above reply #61, where I referenced school massacres in other places, rather than the US, where gun control did not work.

[email protected]

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:24 am

Motive still unknown, but it is being linked to an incident when the murderer was about 12. Something between him and the amish I suspect.

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 72):
They simply do not believe in using telephones.

http://www.lancasteronline.com/

Nice link, you actually covered several threads with that link..

Having been to Lancaster 3-4 times a year (the outlet shopping is great), I have learned a thing or two. They are very family and community oriented, therefore do not believe in things that will effect the fabric of the family, such as cars, TV , phones, etc. They are allowed to use pay phones, but you will rarely see that. They are also allowed to ride in cars, but not drive them. Many hire cars when going to see family in other Amish communites (Indiana, Ohio, etc.) I hoped that helped in understanding why no phones, etc.

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:30 am

random acts of violence...so much more prevalent in the US

Evidence?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 74):
but it is being linked to an incident when the murderer was about 12.

Man, talk about holding a grudge!!

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 70):

I don't think they are more prevelent . . . they happen everywhere.

Right, OK, can you list them?

From the Wikipedia page:

* Bath School disaster - Bath, Michigan, United States; May 18, 1927 (45 dead, 58 injured)
* Poe Elementary School Attack - Houston, Texas, United States; September 15, 1959 (6 dead)
* Cologne School Massacre - Cologne, Germany; June 11, 1964 (11 dead)
* University of Texas at Austin Tower Massacre - Austin, Texas, United States; August 1, 1966 (15 dead, 31 injured)
* Avivim school bus massacre, Israel by Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP); 1970 (12 dead, 9 children)
* Ma'alot massacre, Israel by DFLP (see [2]); 1974 (26 dead, 60 injured)
* California State University, Fullerton Library Massacre - Fullerton, California, United States; July 12, 1976 (7 dead)
* École Polytechnique Massacre - Montreal, Quebec, Canada; 1989 (14 dead, 13 injured)
* Stockton Massacre - Stockton, California, United States, 1989 (6 dead, 30 injured)
* University of Iowa shooting - Iowa City, Iowa, United States; 1991 (5 dead, 1 injured)
* Concordia University massacre - Montreal, Quebec, Canada; August 24, 1992 (4 dead, 1 injured)
* Dunblane massacre - Dunblane, Scotland, United Kingdom; 1996 (18 dead)
* Heath High School shooting - McCracken County (near Paducah), Kentucky, United States; December 1, 1997 (3 dead, 5 injured)
* Sanaa massacre - Sanaa, Yemen; 1997 (8 dead)
* Jonesboro massacre - Craighead County (near Jonesboro), Arkansas, United States; March 24, 1998 (5 dead, 10 injured)
* Columbine High School massacre - Jefferson County (near Denver and Littleton), Colorado, United States; April 20, 1999 (15 dead, 24 injured)
* Osaka school massacre - Ikeda, Osaka prefecture, Japan; 2001 (8 dead, 15 injured)
* Appalachian School of Law shooting - Grundy, Virginia, United States; January 16, 2002 (3 dead)
* Erfurt massacre - Erfurt, Germany; 2002 (17 dead)
* Red Lion Area Junior High School Murder/Suicide - Red Lion, Pennsylvania, United States; 2003 (2 dead)
* Beslan school hostage crisis - Beslan, Russia; 2004 (359 dead, over 700 injured)
* Red Lake High School massacre - Red Lake, Minnesota, United States; 2005 (10 dead, 15 injured)
* Dawson College shooting - Montreal, Quebec, Canada; September 13, 2006 (2 dead, 19 injured)
* Platte Canyon High School shooting - Bailey, Colorado, United States; September 27, 2006 (2 dead)

That's 13 out of 24 occuring in the US. 54%. Three in Canada (12.5%), two for Israel (8.3%), two in Germany (8.3%) and one in other countries.

The website goes into more detail:

Other primary and elementary school killings
January 29, 1979 San Diego, California, USA Armed with a .22 rifle she had been given for Christmas, 17-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire at Cleveland Elementary School. She wounded eight children and one police officer and killed two adults. When the six-hour incident ended, she was asked of her motive for the killing, to which she shrugged and replied "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day." Soon after, the Dublin punk band Boomtown Rats wrote the song "I Don't Like Mondays" which was based on the incident.
May 20, 1988 Winnetka, Illinois, USA 30-year-old Laurie Dann walked into a second grade classroom at Hubbard Woods Elementary School carrying three pistols and began shooting children, killing eight-year-old Nicholas Corwin and wounding five others before fleeing. She entered a nearby house where she shot and wounded a 20-year-old man before killing herself.
September 26, 1988 Greenwood, South Carolina, USA 19 year old James Wilson opened fire at Greenwood Elementary School, killing two eight year old girls and wounding nine others, seven of whom were children. He had been taking several psychiatric drugs at the time, including Valium, Halcion, and Xanax.
February 29, 2000 Mount Morris Township, Michigan, USA Armed with a .32 pistol he had stolen from his uncle's house, 6 year old Dedrick Owens fatally shot Kayla Rolland in the neck. This story is featured in the 2002 documentary Bowling for Columbine.
June 1, 2004 Sasebo, Japan An 11-year-old girl fatally slashed classmate Satomi Mitarai at Okubo Elementary School. This led to the creation of the Nevada-tan Internet phenomenon.
[edit]

Other secondary and post-secondary school killings
This section documents a current event.
Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.
December 30, 1974 Olean, New York, USA 18-year-old honor student Anthony Barbaro blockaded himself into a third story classroom at his high school and opened fire on those below, killing three people and wounding eleven. He later hanged himself while awaiting trial. A drama was written about the incident entitled Sniper.
October 21, 1975 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 18-year-old Robert Poulin opens fire on his class at St. Pius X High School, killing one and wounding five before turning the gun on himself. Poulin had raped and stabbed his 17-year-old friend Kim Rabit to death prior to the incident. A book was written on the incident called Rape Of A Normal Mind
January 21, 1985 Kansas, USA Armed with an M-1A Semi-Automatic Rifle and a .357 Pistol, 14 year old James Kearbey fatally shot his principal and wounded 3 other teachers and a student at Goddard Junior High School.
March 2, 1987 Missouri, USA After constant teasing and humiliation about his weight, Nathan Ferris armed himself with a pistol and killed a fellow student after he bullied him in class. He then turned the gun on himself.
May 1, 1992 Olivehurst, California, USA Armed with a pistol, 20-year-old Eric Houston took hostages at his former high school, killing four people and wounding 10. His motive was his inability to find a good job due to the fact that he had failed a grade at school. He was given the death penalty for the shooting. The 1994 Hostage High is directly based on the shooting.
January 18, 1993 Grayson, Kentucky, USA 17-year-old Scott Pennington fatally shot his English teacher and a school janitor with a pistol.
September 21, 1995 Rochester, New York, USA 13-year-old Stephne Givens was fatally stabbed at Jefferson Middle School by a fellow student.
November 15, 1995 Giles County, Tennessee, USA Armed with a .22 Remington Viper, 17-year-old Jamie Rouse walked into the Richland School and shot two teachers in the head, killing one. He then fired at the football coach, but hit a 14-year-old freshman in the neck, wounding her.
February 2, 1996 Moses Lake, Washington, USA Armed with a high-powered hunting rifle and two handguns, 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis killed his algebra teacher and two students before taking hostages. He also shot a girl in the arm, who he released during the hostage situation. The incident ended when a teacher burst into the room and tackled him. Loukaitis is now serving life in prison.
February 2, 1996 Atlanta, Georgia, USA 12-year-old David Dubose killed a teacher in the hallway of his school with a pistol.
September 17, 1996 University Park, Pennsylvania, USA In the Hetzel Union Building shooting at The Pennsylvania State University, 19 year old Jillian Robbins opened fire on students walking to classes, killing one student and wounding another.
January 27, 1997 West Palm Beach, Florida, USA 13-year-old Tronneal Magnum shot and killed another student in front of his school.
February 19, 1997 Bethel, Alaska, USA Armed with a pump-action 12 gauge shotgun, Evan Ramsey killed a student and the principal of Bethel High School, and wounded two others. He is now serving a 210 year sentence.
October 1, 1997 Pearl, Mississippi, USA 16 year old Luke Woodham stabbed and beat his mother to death, then took a lever-action rifle to Pearl High School where he shot into a crowd of students, killing his ex-girlfriend Christina Menefee and her friend Lydia Kay Dew and wounded seven other students. Woodham later claimed that he did not remember killing his mother.
December 1, 1997 West Paducah, Kentucky, USA 14-year-old Michael Carneal carried five fully-loaded guns to Heath High School, shot at a prayer group, killing three students (Jessica James, Nichole Hadley and Kayce Steger) and wounding another five. Five of the victims were shot in the head, and three were hit in the upper torso. One of the wounded girls was paralyzed for life.
April 24, 1998 Edinboro, Pennsylvania, USA 14-year-old Andrew J. Wurst went to the school graduation dance where he shot and killed a popular science teacher. He subsequently opened fire on more students, wounding another teacher and two classmates before he ran out of ammunition.
May 19, 1998 Fayetteville, Tennessee, USA Three days before graduation, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis fatally shot 18-year-old Nick Creson with a bolt action rifle. He then discarded the rifle and calmly watched Creson die.
May 21, 1998 Springfield, Oregon, USA Kip Kinkel opened fire with a .22 rifle at Thurston Senior High School, killing 2 students and wounding 25 before being tackled by a wounded student. His parents were later found at home, murdered by Kinkel. He is now seving 111 years in prison without parole.
April 28, 1999 Taber, Alberta, Canada In both the first school shooting since Columbine and the first Canadian school shooting in over 10 years, Todd Cameron Smith brought a sawn-off .22 rifle to W.R Meyers High School and shot two students, killing one.
October 20, 1999 Houston, Texas, USA During a fight between 14-year-old Estanislao Balderas and 13-year-old Samuel Avila at Deady Middle School, Baldera produced a screwdriver and fatally stabbed Avila with it.
November 20, 1999 Deming, New Mexico, USA A boy shot 13-year-old Aralecy Tena in the back of the head with a handgun at Deming Middle School. Tena died after being taken off of life support.
March 2000 Brannenburg, Bavaria, Germany A 16 year old student fatally shot a teacher and then turned the handgun on himself but survived, and has been in a coma ever since.
May 26, 2000 West Palm Beach, Florida, USA 13-year-old Nathaniel Brazill shot his English teacher, 35-year-old Barry Grunow, in the face on the last day of school.
March 5, 2001 Santee, California, USA Armed with .22 revolver, 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams opened fire in a boy's bathroom at Santana High School, killing two students. He then exited the bathroom and shot at nearby students, wounding 13. Shortly afterwards he retreated back into the toilets where he surrendered to police.
April 26, 2002 Erfurt, Germany The 19-years old Robert Steinhäuser killed 13 teachers, 2 students and a police officer armed with a 9mm Glock 17 and a Pumpgun and then himself. For more informations look Erfurt massacre
April 29, 2002 Vlasenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina Armed with a 7.65mm pistol, 17-year-old Dragoslav Petkovic killed his history teacher because he was sure that the teacher did not like him and would give him a failing grade. He then shot another teacher in front of the whole classroom, wounding her lightly, before committing suicide.
April 24, 2003 Red Lion, Pennsylvania, USA 14-year-old James Sheets fatally shot his school principal in the cafeteria of his middle school before committing suicide.
September 24, 2003 Cold Spring, Minnesota, USA 15-year-old Jason McLaughlin shot Aaron Rollins and Seth Bartell at Rocori High School with a .22 pistol. Rollins died the same day; Bartell died October 10 of injuries sustained in the attack.[2]
January 13, 2004 Den Haag, Netherlands Murat D. killed Hans van Wieren, a 49-year-old teacher at Terra College.
February 2, 2004 Washington, D.C., USA 19 year old Thomas J. Boykin fatally shot 17 year old James Richardson at Ballou Senior High School. Boykin was later acquitted on the charge of murder[3].
February 3, 2004 Palmetto Bay, Florida, USA 14-year old Michael Hernandez stabbed and slit the throat of 14-year-old classmate, Jaime Rodrigo Gough, while in a restroom at Southwood Middle School. Hernandez was tried as an adult, and sentenced to life in prison without parole. A search of his home revealed he had concocted plans to murder several classmates and even his younger sister. His journal revealed he was obsessed with perfection, and admired Hitler and the Nazis.
March 30, 2004 Gary, Indiana, USA Neal Boyd IV was fatally shot in the parking lot of Wallace High School by a fellow student.
August 4, 2004 Beijing, China Xu Heping, a 51-year-old doorman with a history of mental illness, stabbed several students and teachers in Beijing University's Number One Hospital, killing a child and wounding 17 others, 14 of whom were children.
September 28, 2004 Carmen de Patagones,
Buenos Aires Province, Argentina Armed with his father's 9mm pistol, a 15-year-old boy opened fire on his classmates during a flag-hoisting, killing 3 students and wounding 5 others.
November 26, 2004 Ruzhou, China With no apparent motive, an intruder stabbed eight students to death and injured four others at Ruzhou's Number Two High School in the sixth such incident in China in the past four months[4].
November 8, 2005 Jacksboro, Tennessee, USA After reports that a freshman had a handgun, the principal and two assistant principals confronted student Kenneth Bartley Jr., who opened fire on them, killing one of the assistant principals and wounding the two others.
September 27, 2006 Bailey, Colorado, USA A hostage crisis leaves one student and the perpetrator dead.
September 29, 2006 Cazenovia, Wisconsin, USA; 15-year-old Eric Hainstock shoots his high school principal, who then managed to wrestle Hainstock to the ground. The principal died later in hospital from multiple gunshot wounds.

Now, are you going to really say that there's no apparent increased incidence in the US? Feel free to provide any evidence that you're right.

Jaspike

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:32 am

They do happen everywhere.. Wikipedia has a pretty detailed list of school shootings - most of them during the last 10 years or so. Not just US ones, other countries are mentioned, presumably ones with the most fatalities have been listed. The USA seems to feature quite a bit.

Infamous school massacres:
USA: 13/24

Other primary and elementary school killings:
USA: 5/6

Other secondary and post-secondary school killings:
USA: 29/37

Non-fatal school shootings and attacks:
USA: 12/17

Foiled or exposed plots:
USA: 4/5

Other gun-related incidents in schools:
USA: 6/7

So out of 97 incidents worldwide, 70 were in the USA.

Edit: oops, on the same wavelength as 777236ER.

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:34:00]

Jalto27R

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:32 am

Being relatively local to the location of this incident, thought I'd give an update (sorta). All of the victims that weren't DOA were either transported by ground to Lancaster General Hospital, or airlifted to Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania in Philly. Later on, three more girls were transported to CHOP by medevac. The landing pad there got so crowded one of the choppers had to hover for 10 minutes overhead. Supposedly one of the girls also died in a troopers arms during the first few minutes. The shooter was a truck driver who lived in the area and delivered milk to the surrounding communities. He told his wife in a phone conversation that he was going to get revenge for something that happened 20 years ago.

You would just like to think that. If you compare the ratio of schools and population to anywhere else in the world, it is about the same. Gun control won't stop crazy people from being crazy. If you have a cure, please, do tell me.

Also, maybe ANCFlyer and other law enforcement people will back me up on this, but according to some of my friends in the law enforcement business, changes in season bring out the crazy side in people.

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:35:13]

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:35:54]

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 73):

Read my above reply #61, where I referenced school massacres in other places, rather than the US, where gun control did not work.

Gun control doesn't work after school shootings? How many shootings in the UK have there been since March 13th 1996?

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Jalto27R (Reply 80):
You would just like to think that. If you compare the ratio of schools and population to anywhere else in the world, it is about the same.

Unfortunately, it's not. If you think it is, please provide the evidence.

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:37 am

777236ER, school violence isn't the single candidate in the field of "random acts of violence."

-NWA742

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:38:01]

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 83):
Jaspike, school violence isn't the single candidate in the field of "random acts of violence."

Sorry, that won't wash. The original point was that gun violence in schools is much more prevalence in the US than elsewhere. You brought up 'random acts of violence'. We're talking about gun violence in schools.

Do you accept that the rate is much MUCH higher in the US than anywhere else?

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 78):

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 79):

Very nice work Gentlemen. Now, how about running a per capita list. You see when you talk about Germany - the size of what - Montana, perhaps smaller - and the ENTIRE U.S. you blow it strictly on per capita. That's ok though, you keep doing your research . . . give's you something to do . . .

We have more people, more schools, naturally the numbers will be higher.

No matter how you two spin it, there's no more prevelance here than elsewhere . . . no matter how you two spin it, gun control wouldn't have stopped this . . . no matter how you two spin it a screwball will find a way to kill if that screwball is intent on killing . . . I don't give two shits whether it's here, Germany, Japan or on the gawddamn Moon . . . all the numbers in the world won't stop that, and neither will your prattle.

Jalto27R

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:40 am

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html
If you look closely, not only do the ratios make sense, but the crimes outside the US are much worse than in the US. Take for instance the incident om April 26, 2002
in Erfurt, Germany. "13 teachers, two students, and one policeman killed, ten wounded by Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school. Steinhaeuser then killed himself."

Crime is a worldwide issue, and as a highschool student myself, I don't worry myself with the lack of evidence to support widespread school violence.

Mike

[Edited 2006-10-02 22:42:27]

andessmf

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 84):
We're talking about gun violence in schools.

No, not accepted, this was not a student at the school, this was a married fuck who committed this crime.

allstarflyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:43 am

Often a lot of us do offer solutions that may/would work. But, bless your bleeding heart, have you ever offered a solution?

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 62):
People lose their minds all the time. And not just here . . . it happens world wide. If it wasn't a gun, it could have been a knife, a bomb, any damn thing.

Bullseye, as mentioned in Richardnhsv's post.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 62):
But since you brought it up . . . how would YOU stop these crazies from killing kids?

But, triple-7, you didn't answer the question, which would have forced you to offer a solution.

You just happen to have access to some of the awful things that go down here thanks to the prevalence (and nature) of the American media.

I'm all about finding solutions to problems. Triple-7, if you want to look like the brilliant think-tank strategist and do your Monday morning QB thing w/o offering any substance, you keep doing that. At least Andes, reply 61, offered what is not the solution (I'm sure to your chagrin).

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 61):

-R
Living the American Dream

deltadc9

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 3):
Thats a shame... they are the most non-violent people you will usually see. I wonder if the shooter was Amish or not, the article doesn't say.

Unless they shun you....

The issue isn't firearms anymore, the issue is that Americans seem to do nothing about this whole thing, no protests, nothing. I mean, what will it take to impose discipline in schools?

Uninformed.

Yet in the US, not even like a dozen shooting in a week prompt any kind of reaction. I'm sorry but that kind of apathy is hard to respect.

So dont.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
What do you suppose we should do Derico - riot in the streets because some nut case goes crazy in a school? What the hell would that accomplish? Absolutely zero.

less than zero, it would result in reactionary bills that are not well thought out and unenforceable.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):
Are you out of your goddamn mind?

Just uninformed.

Quoting Derico (Reply 19):
The point is, nothing is done, even the US media is saying this now.

A lot is done, and un done. We can lock the doors, then we cant. Armed guards are ok, then they are not, the kids can have cells, then they cant, corporal punishment is ok, then its not. I could go on.

Quoting Derico (Reply 26):
If the US can't completely stop strife in it's society how the he!! do you expect Mexico to?

We dont export it to Mexico, they wont allow it. We cant stop them from exporting it, congress wont allow it.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 27):
With all due respect, I think the difference here is that the school shooters aren't coming to your country. Drug trafficking and illegal immigration are things that end up on US shores as a result of these countries' inability to deal with them.

Exactly.

Quoting Derico (Reply 28):
it is not easy for other countries to control their internal social problems with fewer resources any more it is for the US?

We provide resources, to the tune of billions.

Quoting Richardnhsv (Reply 34):
School shootings and violence are not US - only problems. Here's a rundown from Reuter's:

Dont forget the Chechen school. That was incredibly sad.

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 48):
Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
Maybe a former disgruntled Amish?

For a very serious matter...I had to actually chuckle at that---it just sounds funny.

Shunned Amish and those who do not choose the lifestyle at 16 often have problems with those who are in good standing.

Before he started rambling, Derico had a point. If you really want to change things, nothing grabs politicians attention more than masses of people on the streets.

Really? What did protesting really change in the US? Why do you think the "Million Man March" didnt draw anywhere close to a million?

Statistical proof would be hard to find, the media coverage is what is more prevalent.

Also, comparing the US to countries a tenth the size and population is not valid.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:47 am

The original point was that gun violence in schools is much more prevalence in the US than elsewhere

Who the hell cares??? The focus of this thread is that several children lost their lives today because of a crazed gunman. Throw all the statistics you want, it doesn't matter at this point!!

You brought up 'random acts of violence'

No, I brought that up... the point being there is no way to stop it if you don't know it is going to happen, just like`today.

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 87):
No, not accepted, this was not a student at the school, this was a married fuck who committed this crime.

So the Dunblane massacre doesn't count as gun violence in a school?!

Talk about grasping at straws!

Quoting Jalto27R (Reply 86):
If you look closely, not only do the ratios make sense,

Even the evidence you present shows that 29 out of 42 shootings happened in the US! That's even WORSE that my ratio!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 85):
Now, how about running a per capita list.

No one talked about per capita, we're talking absolute numbers.

So far, both you and NWA742 started off by saying that nothing could be done to stop this, and that the problem isn't particularly worse in the US than elsewhere before even showing any signs of sadness or regret that children have died today

And you still don't accept that the US has more shootings in schools than elsewhere.

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:53 am

Sorry, that won't wash.

Actually, it does.

You brought up 'random acts of violence'.

random acts of violence

We're talking about gun violence in schools.

That's correct. "Random acts of violence" constitutes a wide range of crime, not only in schools.

If valid statistics show that (i.e. statistics that offer valid comparisons, ones I've yet to see), then yes.

But I have to ask, what is your overall point in getting this through?

Are you trying to say that our lifestyle, or Americans as a people, are somehow at fault because of this? Do you expect us to somehow prevent these random acts, when in reality, nobody can? Or are you just using this as another opportunity to make pointless jabs at the US? With you, there's no telling.

-NWA742

777236ER

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 92):
If valid statistics show that (i.e. statistics that offer valid comparisons, ones I've yet to see), then yes.

But I have to ask, what is your overall point in getting this through?

Are you trying to say that our lifestyle, or Americans as a people, are somehow at fault because of this? Do you expect us to somehow prevent these random acts, when in reality, nobody can? Or are you just using this as another opportunity to make pointless jabs at the US? With you, there's no telling.

Wow, how many dozens of posts has it taken for you to accept that there might be a problem in the US?! Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

You tell me why shootings are more prevalent in the US than elsewhere, after all you live there.

andessmf

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:56 am

Different perspective.

Worst US school massacre.

"The Bath School disaster was a series of bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, USA, on May 18, 1927, which killed 45 people and injured 58."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 91):
And you still don't accept that the US has more shootings in schools than elsewhere.

We might have more shootings than other countries, but we also have a lot more schools and a lot more kids!

No one talked about per capita, we're talking absolute numbers.

Hell, there are probably more car wreck fatalities in the US than in Germany, but does that mean we are worse drivers? Look at the differences in the number of cars and the number of drivers.

Show me some VALID statistics here, 777. You know, ones that might involve shootings and deaths per school population in countries. Something along the lines of that. Then you might be able to help paint your picture of America being more violent.

-NWA742

deltadc9

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 93):
Wow, how many dozens of posts has it taken for you to accept that there might be a problem in the US?! Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

You tell me why shootings are more prevalent in the US than elsewhere, after all you live there.

Human nature knows no boundries.

Also, you show me proof that they are more prevelant. And why limit violence to guns? Where is your PROOF?
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 94):
Worst US school massacre.

"The Bath School disaster was a series of bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, USA, on May 18, 1927, which killed 45 people and injured 58."

What was the point of this post??

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 93):
there might be a problem in the US?!

No one talked about per capita, we're talking absolute numbers

You CANNOT use that type of reasoning to single out the US and claim that we have a school violence problem worse than anybody else! You NEED to use statistics involving per school, per student, etc.

For fuck's sake, don't you get that at all?

-NWA742

allstarflyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 92):

Triple7, were you born with a bullseye on your forehead? There's more light shining in a gopher's basement than from your repetitive and lackluster points. Really, your arguments show nothing productive to be learned from this. Give us solutions (or just one!) instead of finger pointing, and back up your claims with substantial source material. About the source material, I speak in reference to what you said:

"Do you accept that the rate is much MUCH higher in the US than anywhere else?"

How about those per capita stats, hmm?

Please.

-R

[Edited 2006-10-02 23:09:13]
Living the American Dream