Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Multiple Victims Shot Dead At Amish School -- Fox

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:39 am

Fox News Channel and CNN are reporting that multiple individuals have been shot and killed at a small one-room schoolhouse in an Amish community in Pennsylvania.

More as events may warrant.
What's fair is fair.

Newark777

RE: Multiple Victims Shot Dead At Amish School -- Fox

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:41 am

Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:43 am

Thank you for the link.

This is a very sad occurrence. The Amish are a peaceable people and I am saddened that violence has found a place today in their midst.
What's fair is fair.

nkops

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:49 am

Thats a shame... they are the most non-violent people you will usually see. I wonder if the shooter was Amish or not, the article doesn't say.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

AsstChiefMark

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:56 am

Who would want to harm the Amish? In a way, I envy them for their simple, peaceful lifestyle.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

rammstein

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:01 am

Another school shooting in US?

Thanks God than in Europe firearms are not so simple to obtain.
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 5):

Don't start....

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

F9Animal

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:25 am

An elementary school? Oh man, who in their sick mind would ever aim at children? This is just so awful. I am lost for words.......
I Am A Different Animal!!

curlyheadboy

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 am

6 are confirmed dead, several injured, very, very sad  Sad

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 6):
Don't start....

It's inevitable.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

AsstChiefMark

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 am

Not all the kids are accounted for. Witnesses say they saw some running out into the fields during the shooting. Fire and EMS people are doing line searches for miles around.

I hope they find them all. Can you imagine a terrified, wounded kid afraid to come out? Even if they're a few feet away from a firefighter?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

mdsh00

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:29 am

Who in the hell would want to harm the Amish?? Maybe a former disgruntled Amish?

Another school shooting in US?

Save it for another thread.

sw733

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:32 am

This is absolutely crazy...I never in my mind would have imagined a school shooting at an Amish school. And I just heard the shooter ordered all the boys out and left all the girls...good gosh, not again. Sounds like a copycat to me. This is absolutely horrible, I hope for the best for the families and friends of the victims, as well as those injured for a speedy recovery.

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 am

The issue isn't firearms anymore, the issue is that Americans seem to do nothing about this whole thing, no protests, nothing. I mean, what will it take to impose discipline in schools?

In Europe if you get overtime hours cut, the whole country goes on strike, or at the very least transportation. How many times have subways in England, or airlines in France or Italy, Spain, workers in Germany gone on strike? When there is violence in Europe you see thousands in the streets. Same in Argentina, for example.

Yet in the US, not even like a dozen shooting in a week prompt any kind of reaction. I'm sorry but that kind of apathy is hard to respect.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:39 am

And according to what they just said here, there is something else going on in schools in Las Vegas.

Get real, it's out of control at this point.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:43 am

sarcastic 

Quoting Derico (Reply 12):

What do you suppose we should do Derico - riot in the streets because some nut case goes crazy in a school? What the hell would that accomplish? Absolutely zero.

. . . .

Sympathies to those families affected today. Hopefully the shooter is one of the six casualties. I understand the dead range from 1st grade through 8th grade age.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

kmh1956

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:43 am

I am stunned that someone would bring such violence to such a God-loving, peaceful people. May all the victims rest in peace, the families find a way to get through this and the shooter get what he deserves...in this life and the next.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):

Who said anything about rioting? Just peaceful protests so that your government hears your concerns, you know, the kind of thing American Patriots FOUGHT FOR 230 years ago??

Sorry if I sound mad, but I am, little children are being blown in schools, and you are saying nothing can be done. Sad.

edit: spelling

[Edited 2006-10-02 19:46:43]

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 16):
Just peaceful protests

For Christ's sake, you think THAT will solve the problem?

You actually think that if we, as a people, go out in the streets and hold up signs saying how we don't like these school shootings, that it will STOP THEM from happening?

Are you out of your goddamn mind?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

mdsh00

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 12):
In Europe if you get overtime hours cut, the whole country goes on strike, or at the very least transportation. How many times have subways in England, or airlines in France or Italy, Spain, workers in Germany gone on strike? When there is violence in Europe you see thousands in the streets. Same in Argentina, for example.

So you are saying we should disrupt everybody's daily routine for protest? Look, in the US, transportation strikes, grocery store strikes, etc don't get as much (if any) public sympathy as they might do in Europe. Americans care, but we don't do it by striking all the time.

And enough with the exaggerations about a "school shooting every week." For the longest time this was not going on.

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:54 am

Ok, fine people, nothing can be done. Just go on with your lives while your kids may or may not come alive from school every day for 14 years of their lives.

And I HATE to go off on a tangent, but if the United States as a society is incapable of stopping such incidents as you all say, then how can you go with a straight face to another thread and tell Mexican society to clean up their severe violence in their country?

Maybe next time you won't make such oversweeping demands, then.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 18):
So you are saying we should disrupt everybody's daily routine for protest? Look, in the US, transportation strikes, grocery store strikes, etc don't get as much (if any) public sympathy as they might do in Europe. Americans care, but we don't do it by striking all the time.

You mean they don't want their lives disrupted, well that's called APATHY. Sorry, but that's just how I see it. Furthermore, a protest in Washington or New York WOULD NOT disrupt the lives of people.

And it doesn't have to be a protest, it was just an example. You can get grass-root movements to enforce discipline in schools again, or something else. The point is, nothing is done, even the US media is saying this now.

MDorBust

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:55 am

Who said anything about rioting? Just peaceful protests so that your government hears your concerns, you know, the kind of thing American Patriots FOUGHT FOR 230 years ago??

And what exactly is the government supposed to do?

I can't believe this happened to the Amish.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 20):

Ok, fine, nothing can be done. I will not make this an issue anymore. If nothing can be done, nothing can be done.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):

Fine, it has been made clear by Americans that nothing can be done.

I just hope I don't see you or anyone else posting in another thead about how Mexico, or Europe, or Lebanon, or fill-in-the-blank need to stop violence, racism, anti-semitism or terrorists activities in their countries. I will call you out on it.

mdsh00

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 19):
You mean they don't want their lives disrupted, well that's called APATHY. Sorry, but that's just how I see it. Furthermore, a protest in Washington or New York WOULD NOT disrupt the lives of people.

I would dare say that shutting down streets in parts of Manhattan for a protest is disrupting to many people, especially those that don't believe in whatever the cause is.

And I HATE to go off on a tangent, but if the United States as a society is incapable of stopping such incidents as you all say, then how can you go with a straight face to another thread and tell Mexican society to clean up their severe violence in their country?

Nobody says that the American society is incapable of stopping this, because we are. The point we are trying to make is that protesting the government will not make them write some magical law to make it all disappear. Even if they did write a law, would it help? The problem isn't so much gun access but what the hell is wrong with these perpetrators, which is something that the government can't really do.

Seriously, you're just grasping at straws now.

searpqx

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:03 am

My heart goes out to all of those impacted. To live a life dedicated to peace and have this happen to your children, I can't even comprehend what its like for the families.

Ok, fine people, nothing can be done. Just go on with your lives while your kids may or may not come alive from school every day for 14 years of their lives.

Derico, other than the your rhetoric, what exactly are you proposing. I doubt you'll find a soul on here that is saying nothing can be done, we're just saying why protest/strike. There are notable exceptions of course, but as a rule, thats generally not how we get things done in this country. I can guarantee you these three incidents will cause a lot of soul searching in the coming days, and there will be reactions and changes made. But to simply rush out in the streets, what exactly, will that accomplish?
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 22):
Nobody says that the American society is incapable of stopping this, because we are

Well, I hope then you can do so, that's all I was asking.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 22):

You would be the first one to say Colombia write "magic laws" to end drug crops, or Mexico write a magic law to end illegal immigration. How many times have I read here "Mexico's government should provide a descent living standar for it's people".

Well, then, it's not so easy now, ain't it?

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:06 am

And I HATE to go off on a tangent,

Bullshit, any time is a good time for you to go off on your anti-US ramblings.

if the United States as a society is incapable of stopping such incidents as you all say, then how can you go with a straight face to another thread and tell Mexican society to clean up their severe violence in their country?

Apples and oranges.

You cannot logically compare isolated school shootings with widespread crimes like murders, rapes, gang violence, business corruption, etc. On those subjects, the US has been able to clean up a lot more than Mexico, by the way.

You're reaching, big time.

Furthermore, a protest in Washington or New York WOULD NOT disrupt the lives of people.

And AGAIN, what exactly, do you think that will accomplish?

-NWA742

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 25):
Apples and oranges.

You cannot logically compare isolated school shootings with widespread crimes like murders, rapes, gang violence, business corruption, etc. On those subjects, the US has been able to clean up a lot more than Mexico, by the way.

You're reaching, big time.

Isolated incidents??

There is not widespread crime and rape in Mexico. It is you who is reaching for straws now. The comparison is most certainly valid. If the US can't completely stop strife in it's society how the he!! do you expect Mexico to? Simply put, you are not being fair.

saxdiva

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 24):
You would be the first one to say Colombia write "magic laws" to end drug crops, or Mexico write a magic law to end illegal immigration. How many times have I read here "Mexico's government should provide a descent living standar for it's people".

With all due respect, I think the difference here is that the school shooters aren't coming to your country. Drug trafficking and illegal immigration are things that end up on US shores as a result of these countries' inability to deal with them.
See terms for details....

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 27):
With all due respect, I think the difference here is that the school shooters aren't coming to your country. Drug trafficking and illegal immigration are things that end up on US shores as a result of these countries' inability to deal with them.

What difference does it make if it affects the US? It makes a difference in the US of course, but ow does that change the fact that it is not easy for other countries to control their internal social problems with fewer resources any more it is for the US?

halls120

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 6):

Don't start....

Come on, you knew it was going to appear.

You should have listened to yourself and not gone off on this tangent.

Did any Mexicans dies as a result of this shooting? No.

Are the border towns of the US infested with violence that is spilling over from the Mexican side of the border? Most assuredly.

That's exactly how we can tell Mexico it needs to clean up its act.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

NWA742

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 26):
Isolated incidents??

Yes, isolated.

With the exception of the past few days, these shootings are quite rare. Very isolated when compared to widespread crimes, such as those I mentioned above.

Quoting Derico (Reply 26):
There is not widespread crime and rape in Mexico. It is you who is reaching for straws now.

And this one seals the deal. Because of what you spew, nothing you post on here in the future will ever be given any merit by me...it's impossible for someone to go off like you have and still have something positive to contribute to any topic in this forum. Do yourself a favor and think before typing in the future. People like you are really fucking unbelievable.

-NWA742

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:19 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 29):

You can tell them of course, but I still have not heard ONE proposal on how are they supposed to do it. 'Magic Laws' need not apply here: I don't want to hear they need to cut corruption, and crackdown, etc. Specifics or northing, Halls. Same with school shootings.

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 30):
And this one seals the deal. Because of what you spew, nothing you post on here in the future will ever be given any merit by me...it's impossible for someone to go off like you have and still have something positive to contribute to any topic in this forum. Do yourself a favor and think before typing in the future. People like you are really fucking unbelievable.

Millions of people go to Mexico and... nothing happens. How is that 'rampant'? Keep dodging, you said what you said, not I.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
Who would want to harm the Amish?

A 70-year-old man who transported the Amish people's daily milk "harvest" to market reportedly had a falling out with them. Today, he walked into the one-room school with an automatic handgun and shotgun and told all the boys to leave. He lined the girls up against the blackboard and restrained their extremities using FlexCuffs. He then walked down the line, shooting each of them in the head execution-style. Then he shot himself.

Sounds to me like his goal was to prevent future reproduction.

Mark

[Edited 2006-10-02 20:29:44]

richardnhsv

RE: Multiple Victims Shot Dead At Amish School --

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:31 am

School shootings and violence are not US - only problems. Here's a rundown from Reuter's:

Dec. 6, 1989 - CANADA - Marc Lepine, 25, stormed Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique, killing 14 women. Four men and eight other women were injured before Lepine turned the gun on himself.

March 1996 - BRITAIN - A gunman burst into an elementary school in Dunblane in Scotland and shot dead 16 children and their teacher before killing himself.

March 1997 - YEMEN - A man with an assault rifle attacked hundreds of pupils at two schools in Sanaa, killing six children and two others. He was sentenced to death the next day.

April 28, 1999 - CANADA - A 14-year-old boy walked into a high school in Taber, Alberta, with a .22 semi-automatic rifle and shot and killed a 17-year-old student and seriously injured another 11th grade student.

June 2001 - JAPAN - Mamoru Takuma, armed with a kitchen knife, entered the Ikeda Elementary School near Osaka and killed eight children. Takuma was executed in September 2004.

April 26, 2002 - GERMANY - In Erfurt, eastern Germany, a former student opened fire at a high school in revenge for being expelled. A total of 18 people died, including the assailant.

Sept 1, 2004 - RUSSIA - At least 326 hostages -- half of them children -- died in a chaotic storming of School No.1 in Beslan, after it was seized by rebels demanding Chechen independence.

Source: FACTBOX-Recent shootings at schools or universities
"If you've ever had a filet this good, welcome back." - Ruth Fertel

[email protected]

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 33):

Hope that sick son of a bitch likes heat...

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ANCFlyer

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 23):
Derico, other than the your rhetoric, what exactly are you proposing.

He's proposing nothing . . . just babbling on and on and on . . . quite monotonously I might add . . . Colombia? Mexico? WTF do they have to do with the Amish? Just babble, that's all . . .

Way to derail the thread Derico . . . what a waste.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

halls120

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 31):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 29):

You can tell them of course, but I still have not heard ONE proposal on how are they supposed to do it. 'Magic Laws' need not apply here: I don't want to hear they need to cut corruption, and crackdown, etc. Specifics or northing, Halls. Same with school shootings

Here's how Mexico can establish law and order.

1) pay its state and local police a living wage so that they aren't so easily corruptible.

2) Conduct an aggressive campaign directed at law enforcement corruption at all levels. Throw the guilty in jail.

Once the people of Mexico develop some faith that going to the cops to report a crime isn't more dangerous than the crime itself, the beginnings of a civil society will take root.

BTW, just how do isolated school shootings in the US affect Mexico?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

rammstein

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 33):
A 70-year-old man who transported the Amish people's daily milk "harvest" to market reportedly had a falling out with them. Today, he walked into the one-room school with an automatic handgun and shotgun and told all the boys to leave. He lined the girls up against the blackboard and restrained their extremities using FlexCuffs. He then walked down the line, shooting each of them in the head execution-style. Then he shot himself.

What a sick bastard...  Angry

F9Animal

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:35 am

The suspect had 45 minutes to board up the doors? 45 minutes before the teacher was able to dial 911?

Why do the Amish not use phones? Especially in a school? Oh man, this is awful. Those poor kids!
I Am A Different Animal!!

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 37):

I appreciate your effort to respond.

Most deffinately, a good solid wage would go a long way to cut the tempation of corruption.

But the corruption problem is waay to difficult, nearly impossible to resolve. The government can make a 'magic law' to dictate a crackdown on corruption, but 'individual' corruptors will never be eliminated no matter what they do.

Same as you all said protesting or passing some 'magic law' will never eliminate violence in schools.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 40):

I still fail to see what the hell Corruption in Mexico has to do with a School Shooting in Pennsylvania?

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
I still fail to see what the hell Corruption in Mexico has to do with a School Shooting in Pennsylvania?

That you my friend would be the first one to demand that Mexico eliminate all it's social problems, by magic. And if you recall, in this thread you and half a dozen other A.netters told me that protesting and passing "magic laws" won't end school violence in the US. The reason I brought Mexico up is because I remembered how in that thread all kinds of people were demanding Mexico do this and that with their violence, as if a magic wand could take care of it tomorrow.

So again, I was pondering if such is the state of things, can you expect a country like Mexico to just 'eliminate' all violence in their border regions. I'm sorry you are so insulated from international reality to not see the implausible nature of such a proposition.

NeilYYZ

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:46 am

I'm sure that the government is well aware that the citizens are outraged about school shootings, that's just common sense. No need to have a demonstration to say "hey, we don't like school shootings!" That's about as stupid as me going outside and announcing to everyone that I enjoy breathing much more than the alternative.

Quoting Derico (Reply 21):
Ok, fine, nothing can be done. I will not make this an issue anymore. If nothing can be done, nothing can be done.

Nothing can be done, sometimes people go crazy, it happens in Canada, the US, Mexico and elsewhere. How exactly are we to stop people from going crazy?

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 38):
What a sick bastard...

That pretty much sums it up.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Derico

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 43):
Mexico and elsewhere. How exactly are we to stop people from going crazy?

Exactly, how is Mexico supposed to stop crazy people that have billions of foreign dollars at their disposal to operate in their country? I will leave it here, obviously people want other countries to do far more with less than their own could ever do.

kmh1956

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:49 am

May I respectfully suggest to those involved in the political discussions which have shown up in this thread to take it elsewhere? This thread was started, I believe, so that we could all share in the tragedy of the Amish children...not get into heated debates about lawlessness, gun control and a USA/Mexico debate.
Start a new thread for that, please, and say a prayer for the dead and their families.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

[email protected]

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 45):
May I respectfully suggest to those involved in the political discussions which have shown up in this thread to take it elsewhere?

Agreed, let's keep this on topic.

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 42):
That you my friend would be the first one to demand that Mexico eliminate all it's social problems, by magic.

WTF are you talking about? What the hell does Corruption in Mexico have to do with a School Shooting in Pennsylvania, and how the hell does that relate to any "Magic Law" I'd demand or fail to deman be passed in Mexico.

I think you better but down your bong and take a break - that's what I think.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 46):
Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 45):
May I respectfully suggest to those involved in the political discussions which have shown up in this thread to take it elsewhere?

Agreed, let's keep this on topic.

checkmark 

gregtx

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:10 am

Yeah, Italy...that last bastion of civility. NOTHING corrupt or bad happens there! Get over it.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
Maybe a former disgruntled Amish?

For a very serious matter...I had to actually chuckle at that---it just sounds funny.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 11):
The issue isn't firearms anymore, the issue is that Americans seem to do nothing about this whole thing, no protests, nothing. I mean, what will it take to impose discipline in schools?

We tried closing the whole country down in protest like Guatemala would, but we decided not to be a third world country this time around. Sorry.

rammstein

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 48):
Yeah, Italy...that last bastion of civility. NOTHING corrupt or bad happens there! Get over it.

We are not used to go to school and shoot children just because we finished our Prozac  Yeah sure