L-188
Topic Author

Alaska Villages Tell Chavez To Shove His Free Fuel

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:18 am

Boy this is a feel good story if I ever heard one.

As most of you are aware the Dimwitt el-presidente of Venzualea Hugo Chavez has been giving fuel grants to left wing charities in the US as a way to jab at George Bush.

This year he has chosen the tiny villages of Alaska to recieve the 100 gallons of free fuel. Prices in the bush can run up to 7 or 8 bucks a gallon (Flown in)

But at least 4 villages have told Hugo to take his gas and shove it where the sun don't shine. The Aleutian Pribloff Island Island Association have declinded the fuel offer.

Because they did that domestic donations of fuel and support have been comming in and may actually exceed the amount of fuel that would have been given by Chavez..

http://www.adn.com/money/industries/oil/story/8261765p-8159070c.html
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

RE: Alaska Villages Tell Chavez To Shove His Free Fuel

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting L-188 (Thread starter):
Boy this is a feel good story if I ever heard one.

checkmark 

Way to go to my fellow Alaskans . . .

Seems it didn't hurt all that bad afterall, as donations are coming in to replace the fuel Chavez was going to give away . . .

thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

andessmf

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

Hmmm...now I see another good reason you guys to live there.

Congratulations!

CastleIsland

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:40 am

Glad to see donations are coming in in lieu of this. Chavez is a charlatan in the guise of a wolf, in the guise of a humanitarian. I hope BushPilot gets a nice slice of this donated fuel.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:40 am

I guess the inhabitants of hell prefer it to freeze over instead...! Big grin

usnseallt82

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 pm

As most of you are aware the Dimwitt el-presidente of Venzualea Hugo Chavez has been giving fuel grants to left wing charities in the US as a way to jab at George Bush.

Good story.  checkmark 

I found something interesting about the story of Citgo and Seven Eleven stores recently.....all Navy bases, or at least the vast majority, use Citgo gas at their gas stations. Hmmm...  scratchchin 
Crye me a river

luisde8cd

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:18 pm

This is music to my ears! Alaskans should be proud of their country and not sell their patriotism for a couple gallons of heating oil just like some already have....

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

TedTAce

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 pm

So let me get this straight...

Alaskan villagers 'do the right thing' and tell Hugo to stick it. Which I agree is a good move.

But because of this they are getting free gas from other sources that they will use, but do not NEED?!? I would understand if there was an emergency, but this sounds like PURE politics as opposed to doing the right thing, then turning around and making sure the free fuel goes somewhere it is NEEDED.
This space intentionally left blank

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 7):
But because of this they are getting free gas from other sources that they will use, but do not NEED?!? I would understand if there was an emergency, but this sounds like PURE politics as opposed to doing the right thing, then turning around and making sure the free fuel goes somewhere it is NEEDED.

Wrong Ted . . they NEEd the gas. Fuel costs are outrageous. And mind you it's heating oil, not gasoline . . .

And they are doing the right thing - no matter how you slice it ted - they told Chavez they'd rather pay $7 a gallon for heating fuel than accept that assmonekey's "donation". Now if you wanna talk politics - talk Chevez . . his move was purely political. At least 4 Alaskan towns saw through the bullshit.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

pacificjourney

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:36 pm

Here's an idea ... the people pay for their own fuel or go live/work somewhere else they can afford to do so like the rest of us.

Wait, it's Alaska so public handouts are the norm, my mistake.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 9):
Here's an idea ... the people pay for their own fuel or go live/work somewhere else they can afford to do so like the rest of us.

An example of sublime ignorance for all to see . . .

Next?

Newark777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:48 pm

If people in the inner city don't like the crime, why don't they just move?

If you're on welfare, why don't you just get a job?

It's so simple people!  Yeah sure

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

pacificjourney

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 pm

You've been living od public funds all your life so I'll give you a little lesson in life.

We make our own choices, what work we do, how many children we have and yes even where we live. All choices involve an upside and a down side.

In this case they no doubt live on tribal land or what ever and get to hunt as much seal and bear as they can eat. Clearly one of the down sides is that fuel is very expensive. One of the shitty things about free choice is that you have live with both the upside and downside of whatever choices you make.

Now exactly why should everyone else pay for or at least subsidise these peoples fuel ?

PS Alaska isn't the only place where people live in remote locations.

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:01 pm

PJ, you're not even worth the time to respond . . . . waste of bandwidth and oxygen, as always . . . as I said, Sublime Ignorance . . .

Superfly

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 11):
If you're on welfare, why don't you just get a job?

Welfare has a 5 year cap since Clinton's welfare reform. The Alaska dividends are infinite.
Sorry ANCflyer and L-188, this is just political grand-standing by a few small villagers up in Alaska. Sounds like they are in a position to pick & chose which handouts they get.

TedTAce and Pacificjourney both raise good points.
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Welfare has a 5 year cap since Clinton's welfare reform. The Alaska dividends are infinite.
Sorry ANCflyer and L-188, this is just political grand-standing

Geezus, Larry, this isn't about welfare. It's about a political statement from that assmonkey Chavez . . .

Sounds like they are in a position to pick & chose which handouts they get.

Not the case at all - go read the LINK provided and you'd figure it out. I'm quite sure PJ didn't read it. Just blathered on.

The Alaskan's chose NOT to take it. It was only AFTER their decision not to accept the BS 'gift' from Chavez that others decided to thank them for their decision.

No, they don't . . . .

And the day that PJ can give me a losson on life I'll eat your shorts . . .

searpqx

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:45 pm

but this sounds like PURE politics as opposed to doing the right thing

Of course its pure politics, but the politics originated with Chavez. I wouldn't condem any village that accepts the fuel, but I do applaud the ones that stood on (political) principal and refused it.

Wait, it's Alaska so public handouts are the norm, my mistake.

PJ, we all know the only reason you're even in this thread is to take a swipe at ANC, so do us all a favor and comment on things you actually have knowledge of. Most of the folks in these villages live a subsistance existance. That means they in fact don't get handouts, they make their own way in the world, including hunting, fishing and growing their own food.

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 12):
Now exactly why should everyone else pay for or at least subsidise these peoples fuel ?

Sorry ANCflyer and L-188, this is just political grand-standing by a few small villagers up in Alaska. Sounds like they are in a position to pick & chose which handouts they get.

No, Ted and PJ totally missed the point. The villages didn't ask for Chavez's gift and refused it when it came, knowing full well they'd have to pay market price for their fuel, AS THEY ALWAYS HAVE. Now, after the fact, without asking for it, others are giving them fuel to make up for it. Sure its pure politics, but don't come down on the villagers as somehow self-serving. They took a stand and said they'd pay the price.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Superfly

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Geezus, Larry, this isn't about welfare.

Understood, I was just responding to Newark777's silly remarks about welfare. He was the first to drag that word in to this discussion.

I stand by my comments about this all being political grand-standing. I'd be curious to see how many Alaskan villages DO accept President Chavez's free oil.

Perhaps he can't give you a lesson on life because he is younger, but he can give you a lesson in spelling.  Silly

I'll mail you some of my old shorts I can't fit anymore!  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Sorry ANCFlyer, you left yourself wide open for that one! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

NWA742

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):
An example of sublime ignorance for all to see . . .

From PJ? You're kidding.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

pacificjourney

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:53 pm

ANCflyer chooses not to answer because he can't. I've made my case clearly, debate for him is school yard name calling.

I just gave you one. Pay your own way in life or your just another anchor for the rest of us.

CastleIsland

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:54 pm

I must admit major confusion. Harry and Pep being liberal, and Larry the conservative. This thread is enough to make me wonder why I chose this week to quit amphetamines.  Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
I stand by my comments about this all being political grand-standing

On Chavez's part yes . . . . no question.

I'd be curious to see how many Alaskan villages DO accept President Chavez's free oil.

69 of them I'd guess . . . some qualify, some don't. I'm curious to see, in the next week or so, how many follow the other villages.

Alaskan native villages need things . . . of course they do, but they aren't beggars (please refer to New Orleans and the Superdome for that), and they sure as hell won't go asking for it . . . they'll make do. They are proud and smart and have more integrity than a lot of people I know . . .

I'll mail you some of my old shorts I can't fit anymore!  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Sorry ANCFlyer, you left yourself wide open for that one!  biggrin 

rotfl 

OK at the very least I owe you a beer in Vegas . . . .

Superfly

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
They are proud and smart and have more integrity than a lot of people I know .

Well, most are.

As far as grand-standing goes. Bush does a lot of it too.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 20):
I must admit major confusion. Harry and Pep being liberal, and Larry the conservative.

I am gettin' sick & tired of those gawd damn liberals too!  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
As far as grand-standing goes. Bush does a lot of it too.

Agreed, but this has to do with this particular situation how?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
I must admit major confusion. Harry and Pep being liberal, and Larry the conservative.

I am gettin' sick & tired of those gawd damn liberals too!

Now he's even starting to sound like Pep. Hell hath frozen over!  Wink

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 19):

ANCflyer chooses not to answer because he can't. I've made my case clearly, debate for him is school yard name calling.

I choose not to answer you because I know trying to have a cognizant conversation with my lessors is a waste of my time and energy . . . one does not debate the ignorant, one tries to educate them, and if that fail,s they get ignored . . .

Next?

Harry and Pep being liberal, and Larry the conservative

Topic of convesation for our next gathering . . . LOL

TedTAce

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:22 pm

It's about a political statement from that assmonkey Chavez . . .

And as I said before THAT PART of the article/The action in rejecting Chavez's oil was appropriate

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 16):
No, Ted and PJ totally missed the point.

No, you didn't fully read my point.

This thread is enough to make me wonder why I chose this week to quit amphetamines.

Most intelligent comment in this thread.

Pep I'm sorry, but while I may whine about the cost of living in Florida, I don't take hand outs. If anyone were to try to give me something, I'd turn it over to a charity. My life is my life and the expenses I incur because of my choices are mine. I'm sorry, but while the villages are right to refuse the looser's oil, taking free donations for what they would have had to buy because of where they live is absolute  redflag 

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 25):
Pep I'm sorry, but while I may whine about the cost of living in Florida, I don't take hand outs.

You know what, you said in your very last post:

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 25):
you didn't fully read my point.

And now it's my turn . . .

I don't think you fully read the article or what Searpqx ir I said either Ted T . . .

Most of the folks in these villages live a subsistance existance. That means they in fact don't get handouts, they make their own way in the world, including hunting, fishing and growing their own food.

The villages didn't ask for Chavez's gift and refused it when it came, knowing full well they'd have to pay market price for their fuel, AS THEY ALWAYS HAVE

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
but they aren't beggars (please refer to New Orleans and the Superdome for that), and they sure as hell won't go asking for it . . . they'll make do. They are proud and smart and have more integrity than a lot of people I know . . .

TedT, you missed the boat here . . . no one is ASKING for a damn thing. No one ASKED Chavez for anything.

TedTAce

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
I don't think you fully read the article or what Searpqx ir I said either Ted T . . .

True.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
no one is ASKING for a damn thing.

And that's good, but I still think them accepting gift oil when they are willing to pay for it is a LITTLE hokey. I just see the opportunity for someone in need to benefit and possibly being over looked when the passion of the moment is being directed to people who never wanted or needed anything for free.

WSOY

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am

Whit everyone running so hot about Chavez I see the American oil bill greatly reduced this winter overall.
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 27):

And that's good, but I still think them accepting gift oil when they are willing to pay for it is a LITTLE hokey.

But that is a personal decision for each to make. Since none of them asked for it, whether they accept the gift or not, is up to them.

You've been living od public funds all your life so I'll give you a little lesson in life.

What the hell is that suppossed to mean about a law enforcement officer?

Nowhere does it say that we are subsidising their fuel and that taxpayers are footing the bill. This is a 'gift' from a foreign country.

bushpilot

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:22 am

Oh this may get ugly, but let me say a few things first. I do not like Hugo Chavez, I have never once in my life bought gasonline or shopped in a Citgo. Chavez is an idiot despot and him giving away this fuel ultimately hurts his own people who in some cases live in desperate poverty. I am not surprised that some of the villages have refused, if Chavez wouldnt have made his statements at the UN, they would have accepted. I know of at least one guy, who didnt know thing one about Chavez, and tuned into CNN to hear what he had to say and was quite surprised. Most of us the bush, are not fans of the President Bush, but that was a bit much for all of us.

But at least 4 villages have told Hugo to take his gas and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Yeah but that leaves 140 something villages that will still take the fuel.

Because they did that domestic donations of fuel and support have been comming in and may actually exceed the amount of fuel that would have been given by Chavez..

Yeah the half dozen or so villages who dont want it are getting donations from fishing companies and privately. In the meantime, BP, Exxon, and Conaco havent chipped in a dime despite making billions of dollars in this state and knowing full well the struggle we have with fuel prices in the bush. I mean give me a break. Exxon hasnt paid a fuckin nickel 15 years after the spill to the fisherman...not one goddamn fucking penny, the amount of crude oil Exxon spilled into PWS would heat more than a few villages for the winter. I think it is a shame that those domestic producers wouldnt match Citgos offer.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 3):
I hope BushPilot gets a nice slice of this donated fuel.

Actually nope, decided not to accept the donation. Little bit of solidarity for those refusing, and Im giving my share to my GFs grandmother who needs it more than I do. But I will not look down on ANYONE who does accept it.

There is an emergency! We in the bush rely on barges and airplanes for our goods. It is not uncommon for a village to literally run out fuel. In a village just up the river from me, two people died in a fire, and several buildings were lost because the village government couldnt afford to heat the fire truck garage for the winter. Literally a bucket brigade and lining up to piss on the fire situation going on during that.

So then myself and the other residents of this area, who have had thousands of years of history on these very shores, should up and leave? Your an idiot, flat out nothing else. We already cut every corner we can. If I dont more or less live off the land, I would starve to death. I am not complaining about my lifestyle, I love it here. I chose to live here, I am from ANC. But the price of fuel in the bush is the one thing I can really complain about. It cost me $110 to fill up my truck. Thankfully I only need to fill up once every two weeks. And dont bother giving me this you drive a gas guzzler BS. With the roads out here, and trucks being used as actual tools and not soccer mom taxis, it is not viable for hybrids and all that. Trust me, I will click my heels the day we dont have to buy fuel.

I'd be curious to see how many Alaskan villages DO accept President Chavez's free oil.

The overwhelming majority will you will probably see more individuals refuse it as I am. But as I said before, please dont look down upon those who do accept the fuel, it truely is needed. I think the vast majority of Americans, especially those from large cities would think they were in a different second world country if they came to western AK.

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:31 am

Let's all repeat, many times, 50 BELOW, 50 BELOW.

That is not cold, it is DAMN COLD.

The human body will not last long at those temperatures. Keeping warm in AK during the wintertime is a matter of LIFE & DEATH.

Whatever little money AK natives have, they have to set aside for heating, or die in the process. This is not a luxury, but a necessity.

pacificjourney

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 29):

What the hell is that suppossed to mean about a law enforcement officer?

Nowhere does it say that we are subsidising their fuel and that taxpayers are footing the bill. This is a 'gift' from a foreign country.

Public "servants" produce nothing only consume what the rest of us make so it's easy for him and his like to give things away without thought, "big firm lotsa money" mentality.

If the people who are using the fuel aren't paying for it then the rest of us are ! No such thing as a free lunch.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 30):
So then myself and the other residents of this area, who have had thousands of years of history on these very shores, should up and leave?

If you can't afford to live there then quite simply, yes. Nothing stays the same forever.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 30):
Your an idiot, flat out nothing else.

... and you're a sponge on the rest of us. Pay for your own fuel/food/power/everything yourself or shut up.

searpqx

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 32):
... and you're a sponge on the rest of us. Pay for your own fuel/food/power/everything yourself or shut up.

What part of - THEY DO - can't you comprehend? So you've never accepted a birthday present or that fun little gift from a friend? Those are all gifts, are we to believe you returned them, because you pay for everything you use? Get real, get a life, and quit trolling.

ANCFlyer

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:09 am

I don't get why anyone wastes their time and energy talking to PJ - he's a waste of time and bandwisth - just ignore him. Rather than an obnoxious child - perhaps he'll just go away. . . .

More need for that "Loser" emoticon again.

pacificjourney

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:21 am

Bushpilot wants cheaper fuel but paid for by who exactly ?

That's a birthday present I've never requested but wow wouldn't it be great, everyone else subsidising my lifestyle choices. I could be an Alaskan.

Silly analogy.

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 am

Public "servants" produce nothing only consume what the rest of us make so it's easy for him and his like to give things away without thought, "big firm lotsa money" mentality.

Meet and deal with plenty of bureaucrats daily that do this, but police, not really.

If the people who are using the fuel aren't paying for it then the rest of us are ! No such thing as a free lunch.

Read the story again, they pay (a lot) for their fuel. Somebody offers to pay for their fuel, THEY DID NOT REQUEST THIS. This is not a free lunch, this was an offer or 'gift'.

turbo7x7

RE: Alaska Villages Tell Chavez To Shove His Free

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:33 am

Well, certainly some of the $250 million slated for the Bridge to Nowhere could be used instead to buy fuel for some of these Alaskans that are out in the middle of, ahem, nowhere. . .

It's funny how so many laud the virtues of self-sufficiency, put down "those people" in NOLA, complain about high taxes. . .

. . . but threaten to take away just one entitlement (paid for mostly by liberal blue states who pay FAR more in tax revenue than they get in return) and those same card-carrying Republicans go all crazy on you. . .  Yeah sure

[Edited 2006-10-04 21:34:17]

WellHung

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:53 am

100 gallons of fuel from scumbag Venezuelan President to Alaskan villages that need it: BAD

Billions of dollars from terrorist-supporting Saudi royal family to Bush-related charities and programs that certainly do not need it: GOOD

Gotcha.

CastleIsland

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 35):
That's a birthday present I've never requested but wow wouldn't it be great, everyone else subsidising my lifestyle choices. I could be an Alaskan.

By definition, society creates a distribution of wealth. It will always be that way. Some have much more, some much less, with the majority somewhere in the middle. To scorn someone on the low end who may need a subsidy makes no sense and just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how things work. If people from the low end move into the middle by getting a better job, then prices go up, and the curve adjusts itself and there are just as many people back on the low end who need a subsidy because the prices are higher.

Life is expensive, some people need assistance with this. Always have, and always will. Deal.

searpqx

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 am

Silly analogy.

You don't even bother to read do you? Sure everyone wants cheaper fuel, (I'm sure you wouldn't mind it), but show me wherre Bushpilot or anyone else said that anyone in these villages asked ANYONE to subsidize it. Pep is right - no sense wasting time on you.

pacificjourney

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:59 am

You're right those guys and the villagers don't precisely ask for cheaper fuel but they certainly profess some entitlement to special consideration due to the fact they live somewhere it is far more expensive than for most of us.

My point is they choose to live there and choices entitle all sorts of consequences and they should deal with those consequences THEMSELVES. I'm not refering to the offered gift but the clear metality of all involved that they are somehow entitled to special consideration. They aren't !

bushpilot

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:01 am

If you can't afford to live there then quite simply, yes. Nothing stays the same forever.

I can afford to live here, or else I would move. Things are more expensive here in the bush. That is a sacrafice I make to live the lifestyle that I choose. But keep in mind that, things are exponentially more expensive here. Just a quick example, for reference and Im not sure how much things cost elsewhere, but here we pay 4.75 for a gallon of gas. 8 for a gal of milk. $4 pound of hamburger(which I never buy), $3.50 pound of tomatos(if the store has them) $10 frozen digorno pizza etc. Now I happily pay that amount, because I choose to live a lifestyle based on subsistence, I have killed %90 of the meat that is eaten in my house. But in the winter having heat in your house is literally a matter of life and death. So if someone came along out of the blue and said, you know what, your paying to much for product X. I have a bunch of it, here is a months worth supply...would you take it?

... and you're a sponge on the rest of us. Pay for your own fuel/food/power/everything yourself or shut up

I invite you to come up here anytime. I would love to show you how much of a sponge I am not, and the actual sacrafices myself and all the residents of rural Alaska make just to make ends meet. You probably wouldnt last an afternoon out here.

I would gladly pay for it myself if it was cheaper. I pay for it now, 6 years ago, I could heat my house for 200 bucks a month, that has gone up to 500 a month. What would you do if your heating/cooling or any bill of yours went up 2.5x for the same product. If I could get away without buying fuel, I most certainly would, heat in my house is not a luxury, it is an absolute necessity. But in the world we live in, life without petroleum products is virtually impossible.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):
Read the story again, they pay (a lot) for their fuel. Somebody offers to pay for their fuel, THEY DID NOT REQUEST THIS. This is not a free lunch, this was an offer or 'gift'.

Thanks for making a good point.

pacificjourney

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 42):
I can afford to live here, or else I would move.

Then what are you complaining about ???

But keep in mind that, things are exponentially more expensive here.

Things are more expensive in all remote locations. YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE.

I would love to show you how much of a sponge I am not, and the actual sacrafices myself and all the residents of rural Alaska make just to make ends meet.

Hold on while I ring out may hanky .... Just a couple of paragraphs earlier you were hailing the place as paradise, now you're making "sacrifices" to be there. You choose to be there so you pay the cost !

I would gladly pay for it myself if it was cheaper.

.. and just how does it become cheaper .... by the rest of us subsiding your lifestyle choices that's how. I don't think we should, anymore.

searpqx

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 41):
but they certainly profess some entitlement to special consideration due to the fact they live somewhere it is far more expensive than for most of us.

Show even one example of this

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 41):
but the clear metality of all involved that they are somehow entitled to special consideration.

Again, where is that demonstrated in any way

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 43):

They're not, the only one complaining, and hurling insults, on this thread is you. The only person making these assumptions and deductions is you, and its becoming clearer that you're just doing it to stir shit. This thread was about villages refusing an unasked for gift, then receiving another unasked for gift in response to their actions. Other than stating the fact that prices are higher in the bush, not one person has claimed that villagers in general, or Bushpilot in particular, are somehow asking for or receiving special consideration. I'm sorry I ever wasted my time on you. I'm done now.

Boeing Nut

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 19):
ANCflyer chooses not to answer because he can't.

You're new here, aren'tcha??  bigmouth 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

bushpilot

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:04 am

I am not complaining about anything.

Just a couple of paragraphs earlier you were hailing the place as paradise, now you're making "sacrifices" to be there. You choose to be there so you pay the cost !

I do choose to be here, and I do pay the cost. But you failed to respond to my question:

What would you do if your heating/cooling or any bill of yours went up 2.5x for the same product.

I was offered 100 gallons of fuel to heat my home. I am not taking it for two reasons, 1. I am giving my fuel to someone who needs it more than I do. 2. I do not agree with where the gift is coming from. I will not, nor should anyone look down on anyone who does accept it. This isnt Oprah giving out gift baskets to the audience. This is heat and hot water in an area that often dips to -40.

I would gladly pay for it myself if it was cheaper.

.. and just how does it become cheaper .... by the rest of us subsiding your lifestyle choices that's how. I don't think we should, anymore.

Now read below, read the whole two sentances that I wrote. I do pay for my own fuel, and will continue to. I will gladly engage you in debate if that is what your looking for. But to be quoted out of context is not something I appreciate, and will not respond to any more of that.

I would gladly pay for it myself if it was cheaper. I pay for it now, 6 years ago, I could heat my house for 200 bucks a month, that has gone up to 500 a month.

But about subsidising my lifestyle, firstly you wouldnt have anything to do with it, being a Kiwi. So you can stop all of it on that account. Nobody subsidises my income, or lifestyle in any way shape or form. I have said before several times, I will not be taking the gift, but I will not look down on anyone who does.
I make about $40k a year, but with the cost of living out here it would be the equivalent of making $20-25k in a city somewhere. I am not complaining about this. I am merely trying to shed some light for you to hopefully make you understand what life here is like. I do love it here, and although I think of paradise as a beach and cold beer with pretty women, in its own way, for me, where I live is paradise.

Superfly

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 38):
100 gallons of fuel from scumbag Venezuelan President to Alaskan villages that need it: BAD

Billions of dollars from terrorist-supporting Saudi royal family to Bush-related charities and programs that certainly do not need it: GOOD

Gotcha.

Excellent post!  yes 

Sorry I know my good friends up in Alaska will disagree with me but these four villages are making an idiotic statement. They're only doing this because of the childish name calling between Bush and Chavez.
Bush calls Chavez a "tyrant" and Chavez calls Bush "the devil".
These village idiots show that they are being just as petty as Bush & Chavez.
I guess they are happier buying oil from terrorist.

BTW ANCFlyer and L-188, can you explain to me the difference between Alaskan dividends and a handout . Us down here in the lower 48s AND Hawaii don't receive such gifts from Uncle Sam.
Bring back the Concorde

KROC

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
BTW ANCFlyer and L-188, can you explain to me the difference between Alaskan dividends and a handout . Us down here in the lower 48s AND Hawaii don't receive such gifts from Uncle Sam.

The dividend is based off of the state's oil royalty investment program not Uncle Sam...

I could be wrong though.

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 38):

Give me proof or a reference before making such a blanket statement. And it is very nice how some managed to insert Bush bashing in this thread.  sarcastic